Surgery Sub-I Before Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wisdom is key

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long time lurker here.... just wondering if gen surg residency programs require a completed Sub-I in surgery prior to applications being sent out? I am trying to complete a few aways, as well as take some time to study for CK, but that wouldn't leave time for a Sub-I before Sept 16th.

Members don't see this ad.

Long time lurker here.... just wondering if gen surg residency programs require a completed Sub-I in surgery prior to applications being sent out? I am trying to complete a few aways, as well as take some time to study for CK, but that wouldn't leave time for a Sub-I before Sept 16th.

Why not just do sub-I's as your away rotations? That's what I did.

Thanks for the reply! I most likely will be applying for a surg Sub-I for an away rotation (I may not get it), but do you need to have a sub-I completed at your home institution prior to ERAS submission? I should have clearer about that, sorry.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply! I most likely will be applying for a surg Sub-I for an away rotation (I may not get it), but do you need to have a sub-I completed at your home institution prior to ERAS submission? I should have clearer about that, sorry.

Just because a rotation doesn't specifically say "sub-I" in VSAS doesn't mean it isn't one (the definition is somewhat arbitrary and institution-dependent). And as far as completing a rotation at your home program... you should definitely do this. You need a letter from the chair of surgery at your home program, and you should probably have a letter from another attending/faculty member you've worked closely with. I'm not sure whether or not this is a requirement, but it's what everyone I know who applied has done. Keep in mind there is time between when you can submit ERAS and when programs can download your application, so you can fit another rotation in during that time.

Reactions: 1 user
Perfect, that answered all of my questions- thank you so much!!

Reactions: 1 user