Surgery and DM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Goro femme

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was recently approached by a premed who asked about being a surgeon. I didn't have an answer for her because she was recently diagnosed with Type 1. Please no posts about Type 2, because I know plenty of surgeons with that. I have been curious about how many surgeons I can find with Type 1. I have been auccessful at finding 1 general surgeon, and he is retired now. I spoke with a physician who is a national speaker and has Type 1. She was very encouraging, especially in light of some exciting new advances including ultra fast acting insulin. Anyone else know any surgeons with Type 1? Feel free to PM if you prefer.

Members don't see this ad.

I know that this is an unusual thread, so I am going to page some active SDN surgeons who likely each know many other surgeons in many different sub specialties. If you truly don't know anyone with Type 1 DM, please just post that. Thank you for your assistance.
Paging @Winged Scapula, @ProfMD, @SouthernSurgeon

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know any DM-1 surgeons, but I do not really see a problem. The person may need to work with their endocrinologist/PCP to optimize management, but should be doable.

Reactions: 1 user
I was recently approached by a premed who asked about being a surgeon. I didn't have an answer for her because she was recently diagnosed with Type 1. Please no posts about Type 2, because I know plenty of surgeons with that. I have been curious about how many surgeons I can find with Type 1. I have been auccessful at finding 1 general surgeon, and he is retired now. I spoke with a physician who is a national speaker and has Type 1. She was very encouraging, especially in light of some exciting new advances including ultra fast acting insulin. Anyone else know any surgeons with Type 1? Feel free to PM if you prefer.

The answer to the question, "I've just been diagnosed with X, can I be a surgeon" is almost always "Yes".

I think we've been asked everything here. The only exception would be blindness and no hands IMHO (assuming all other medical problems are controlled).

The answer to the question, "I've just been diagnosed with X, can I be a surgeon" is almost always "Yes".

I think we've been asked everything here. The only exception would be blindness and no hands IMHO (assuming all other medical problems are controlled).

What about operating with braille?

I didn't really want to limit this thread to just breast surgeons or even surgeons who like breasts. I seriously would appreciate any real life examples of any specialty surgeon who has Type 1. I appreciate the theoretical support but my friends with Type 1 had a hard time managing bs's in medical school. None went on to surgery residencies. Granted, technology has improved.

I didn't really want to limit this thread to just breast surgeons or even surgeons who like breasts. I seriously would appreciate any real life examples of any specialty surgeon who has Type 1. I appreciate the theoretical support but my friends with Type 1 had a hard time managing bs's in medical school. None went on to surgery residencies. Granted, technology has improved.

I gave you one.

He's a full time academic plastic surgeon now, Type 1 DM, wears a pump, we did internship together.

Sorry the thread went off the rails but you can't say I didn't give you a "real life example".

I gave you one.

He's a full time academic plastic surgeon now, Type 1 DM, wears a pump, we did internship together.

Sorry the thread went off the rails but you can't say I didn't give you a "real life example".
Agreed, and I thank you. Appreciate your adding his specialty.

Of course it can be done. More to the point though: if you're already managing an awful chronic illness in your youth, do you really want to make it harder on yourself and go into medicine/ surgery??

It's not worth it. Tell your premed friend to choose a career that offers a better lifestyle. Cause it ain't worth the self-sacrifice.

I know a full-time hepatobiliary surgeon who is Type I with a pump.
Thank you. I am liking the variety on this thread. The retired general surgeon did a lot of short cases. This may have been his preference and not out of necessity of managing his DM.

the longer cases are the biggest concern, but beyond that, if you have good control over it, i can see it working even without a pump.