Surgeon with disabling disease--will my disability insurance claim be rejected?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cindy919

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am a surgeon, diagnosed with ankylosing spondylitis a few years ago. I have had disability insurance for 12 years (signed up as a resident), and may need to use it now, since it is becoming difficult to stand in the OR for long periods of time.

There is a "rider" on my disability insurance policy from 12 years ago that excludes "disorders and diseases of the bones, muscles, ligaments, and discs of the lumbar spine." This was included because a year before I signed up for the policy, I had some sciatica and got some L-spine X-rays, but which resolved on its own and never came back again. This was completely unrelated to my anklyosing spondylitis.

My ankylosing spondylitis involves the entire spine (C-spine, T-spine, L-spine). Will they reject me because of the rider that excludes L-spine disease, even though it is a condition that affects the entire spine?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

I am a surgeon, diagnosed with ankylosing spondylitis a few years ago. I have had disability insurance for 12 years (signed up as a resident), and may need to use it now, since it is becoming difficult to stand in the OR for long periods of time.

There is a "rider" on my disability insurance policy from 12 years ago that excludes "disorders and diseases of the bones, muscles, ligaments, and discs of the lumbar spine." This was included because a year before I signed up for the policy, I had some sciatica and got some L-spine X-rays, but which resolved on its own and never came back again. This was completely unrelated to my anklyosing spondylitis.

My ankylosing spondylitis involves the entire spine (C-spine, T-spine, L-spine). Will they reject me because of the rider that excludes L-spine disease, even though it is a condition that affects the entire spine?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated. Thank you!

I don't have any particular expertise, but something as important and specific as this I'd probably contact an attorney specializing in this area and ask for them to review your situation and weigh in.

Reactions: 1 users
Yup. Attorney. This could easily be argued against you even though it is purely coincidental. Part of your argument might be the fact that the rider doesn't mention joints though!