Surgeon General, RN

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Like the article states. Surgeon General is more of a ceremonial title. It has really no power.

Yes. One would assume "surgeon general" means physician.

But one of my medical licenses says "physician and surgeon" which makes no sense either.

Is she just interim/acting SG or is he gonna try to nominate her for the position?

We had a Nurgeon General in the Army for a while. Her big claim to fame (aside from throwing her former colleagues under the bus regarding PTSD treatment) was stressing the importance of sleep, exercise, as diet. We had several briefings as PowerPoint presentations about her "performance triad." Yeah, that'll fix all of our military healthcare problems...

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
It's a powerless position. Unlike someone like US Attorney general who can enforce laws. Or Us education secretary who can enforce policy.

Surgeon general just can't say exercise 30 min 3x a week or we will raise ur Medicaid premiums. Ha ha.

Nurses will point to this and say nurses are equal if not better than docs

Reactions: 1 users
The surgeon general does have authority over the Commissioned Corps and their policies. Although in the grand scheme of things it's not a lot of power, the US Surgeon General can have a significant direct impact on the lives of the 6,600 officers who serve in the Commissioned Corps, as well as on the American public that Commissioned Corps officers serve.

What a f'in joke. There's no other top ranking physician in the health department? It's quite sad to see the state of medicine in this country today. Med school really is the biggest scam and waste of time in today's world of noctors. The new curriculum should be just to make RN and DNP the true route to make the ultimate brain of a doctor and heart of a nurse physician crap

Reactions: 2 users
"She is not the first nurse to serve as surgeon general; Richard Carmona, who held the post from 2002 to 2006 under President George W. Bush was both a nurse and doctor."

WTF? I didn't realize one could be both a nurse and a doctor. Should I go back to school to earn my RN degree??

"She is not the first nurse to serve as surgeon general; Richard Carmona, who held the post from 2002 to 2006 under President George W. Bush was both a nurse and doctor."

WTF? I didn't realize one could be both a nurse and a doctor. Should I go back to school to earn my RN degree??

There are a few people who were a nurse then went to medical school to become a doctor. The past president of the american society of anesthesiologists used to be a crna.

Yea nurses sometimes go to medical school after realizing they want to be MD instead. The cool nurses that actually willing to go thru the route to be called a doc, instead of just getting a doctorate in nursing and asks to be called doctor by patients

There are a few people who were a nurse then went
Yea nurses sometimes go to medical school after realizing they want to be MD instead. The cool nurses that actually willing to go thru the route to be called a doc, instead of just getting a doctorate in nursing and asks to be called doctor by patients

um,yeah...thnx for that info I was painfully ignorant of guys. my point was that it's like a PhD saying they also have a bachelor's degree. it's ridiculous and stupid.

um,yeah...thnx for that info I was painfully ignorant of guys. my point was that it's like a PhD saying they also have a bachelor's degree. it's ridiculous and stupid.

You can't really compare the two. A bachelor's degree is a prerequisite to obtaining a phd. However, nurse and physician are two entirely separate professional tracks.

Reactions: 1 user
You guys need to realize that medicine as a healing profession practiced by physicians has practically seized to exist in this country and was replaced by a a business model based on profit and cost containment, in this new business model the healing services are seen as a commodity that has a price and the success of the health business model is entirely dependent on reducing this price.
In other words it no longer matters if the care provided is the best care, what matters is that the care is economical and profitable.

You guys need to realize that medicine as a healing profession practiced by physicians has practically seized to exist in this country and was replaced by a a business model based on profit and cost containment, in this new business model the healing services are seen as a commodity that has a price and the success of the health business model is entirely dependent on reducing this price.
In other words it no longer matters if the care provided is the best care, what matters is that the care is economical and profitable.

Yup. They use the word "providers" almost interchangeable with PA,NP, and MDs these days. It's been in vogue likely for at least the past 10 years but it's extremely common these days I see with AMC emails my friends send me.

Is she just interim/acting SG or is he gonna try to nominate her for the position?

The deputy SG is usually a person who has risen in the ranks of the USPHS and gets appointed to that position by the current Surgeon General. In the past there was an acting surgeon general that was an engineer.
I do agree that the deputy surgeon general should be a physician, but it is the choice of the SG serving at the time to appoint who he/she feels fit to be his/her deputy. RADM Trent-Adams was appointed by our previous SG, RADM Murthy.

To summarize, The SG is a political appointment, and the DSG rises within the ranks of the USPHS and assist the SG navigate the ins/outs of the USPHS.

In the past the SG would also rise within the ranks of USPHS; unfortunately, it became a political appointment and every time we have a new administration there will be a new SG that will deliver the message of the current administration.

In my opinion, the SG should still rise within the ranks and report on the state of public health and not just on the current believes/wishes of the presidency/political party.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
You can't really compare the two. A bachelor's degree is a prerequisite to obtaining a phd. However, nurse and physician are two entirely separate professional tracks.

Not so. Today is a world of alternative facts