SUNY Buffalo vs. SUNY Downstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yungspleen

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Need some advice from people more familiar with the schools (from the west coast, don't really know much about either school). Cost of attendance is the same for both. I am looking to go into a pretty competitive specialty.

Buffalo
Pros
  • Slightly nicer area? (although I didn't really see any of the city because I went during a snowstorm)
  • More research opportunities from what I could tell?
  • New hospital opening this year

Cons
  • Snows more than NYC
  • Graded pre-clinical years
  • Less things to do than NYC

Downstate
Pros
  • P/F pre-clinical (although I hear conflicting information about whether ornot it is true P/F)
  • Might be cool to live in the city for 4 years
  • Med school dorms right on campus, don't need a car in NYC
Cons
  • Pretty rough area, hospital looks older
  • The administration doesn't seem as organized

I know both the schools have a pretty equal reputation, but which one has the slight edge? Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

I can try to help, I am a MS1 at Downstate.

Lets start with your Downstate cons:
1. Obviously not the best area, but great for clinical experience (what the graduates are known for). Have never felt unsafe and the train is 2 blocks away to go wherever you want (there is also a shuttle that brings you there at night)
2. I personally have not observed the administration being unorganized. The administration frequently communicates with the class to see how they can improve the curriculum and always make little changes to benefit students.

Not sure about whether it's true P/F or not but it doesn't matter. Do your best and you'll do well. It does feel nice to see a P at the end of a unit (as opposed to H/HP/LP etc) and it does create a very collaborative environment. Ultimately clinical grades matter a lot more than preclinical.

We have a research coordinator that you e-mail telling your interests and he connects you to a PI - you shouldn't have a problem getting research experience as most students have things lined up.

Good luck with your decision and feel free to PM me with any questions.

Reactions: 1 user