USMLE/COMLEX Summer Before Medical School 2013-2014: What Should I Do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Summer Before Medical School 2013-2014: What Should I Do?

For TPW 2013 Apollo will be giving away Two (2) "USMLE Step 1 Review Courses - The Total Audio Package" and Two (2) "USMLE Step 2 Review Courses - The Total Audio Package" (a $349.95 value each) to 4 lucky SDN members! Winners for each raffle will be drawn from among the members who post questions or otherwise meaningfully contribute to the discussion. Good Luck on the 2013-2014 USMLE!

FREE USMLE Reviews & 40% OFF
Study On Your Schedule!

How will you spend your summer before starting med school?

So you have passed the MCAT, graduated from college and are on your way to a 4 year allopathic or osteopathic medical school. What do do you do the summer before starting medical school? We suggest the following:
  • Move
  • Spend Time with Your Family
  • Stay in Shape and Go to the Gym
  • Then what should I do the summer before medical school?

Prepare

We suggest that you spend the summer before medical school doing a little preparation for what you are about to encounter in your basic science and clinical years. When someone asks "What do I do the summer after college before medical school," we suggest the following.

We are not suggesting you study - NO!
We are not suggesting you sit around with a medical text on your desk - NO!
We are not suggesting you try to memorize anything - NO!
We are not suggesting you try to cover the books recommended by your med school - NO!
- - - In fact, we are not suggesting you stress out at all!

Preparing for medical school during this summer should be easy and stress free!

What we are suggesting to prepare some for medical school the summer before it starts is this.

• Purchase a USMLE Step 1 Total Audio Package Here
  • Download the audio onto your iPod, iPhone, or MP3 player
  • And listen to the audio during your down time - running, at the gym, mowing the yard, commuting, etc...
  • Any time that is mental down time - turn on your audio

How does listening to USMLE Audio help you in preparing for medical school before it starts?

At ApolloAudiobooks.com we believe in a system of learning called "Familiarization First - Memorization Last!" What this means, is that listening to USMLE Audio reviews very passively during the summer before medical school starts allows you to FAMILIARIZE yourself with the subject matter you are about to be covering. When medical school starts on day one, and your professor starts an anatomy or biochemistry lecture - you will have that sense that you've been through the material before.

What Happened when your listened to the Audio the Summer Before Med School?

Although you may not have "retained" all of the material, your brain went through the initial process of creating "file folders" into which you can put important information learned in Medical School. By creating all of those mental "file folders" before medical school began, you have a place to put all that new information that starts raining down on you day-one in med school.

So when students ask how to prepare for medical school?

We suggest your passively FAMILIARIZE yourself with all of the information by using an Apollo Audiobooks Step 1 Total Audio Package.

What are the best resources for new medical students?

As a new medical student, you will use both of these best resources for new med students the same way. As you go through each class and each subject, you will use both First Aid and the Step 1 Audio to cover the material - in addition to your other resources. Again, this is not supposed to be high-stressed memorization of either source. Simply use First Aid and the Audio to create and begin to fill some of those file folders.

Finally, in the months leading up to the USMLE Step 1 (after your second year of medical school) you will begin the process of MEMORIZATION of material. Luckily, because you have faithfully used First Aid for the USMLE and USMLE Audio from Apollo since before you started med school - you have all the mental file folder already in place to be stuffed with factoids. In addition, some of the mental file folders are already full!

So when students ask "What I should do the summer before medical school?" or "What are the top 10 things you should know to prepare for Medical School?" our answer is:

1. Don't Stress Out
2. Listen to some USMLE Audio Reviews in your mental down time
3. Oh, yeah. . . and enjoy your family!

Wishing new medical students preparing for med school the summer before med school begins great success and a stress-free summer!

Your Time is Too Valuable to Waste!

Choose One of Our USMLE Audio Reviews Today -

Study On Your Schedule!

Browse USMLE Reviews Here - Get Free Monthly Downloads Here

Members don't see this ad.

I really wish I had used the time before medical school to prepare myself instead of just wasting time looking up recipes on the Internet...
I highly recommend investing in audio reviews to listen to while you're doing housework or exercising or driving. They have help me so much in medical school!

I really wish I had used the time before medical school to prepare myself instead of just wasting time looking up recipes on the Internet...
I highly recommend investing in audio reviews to listen to while you're doing housework or exercising or driving. They have help me so much in medical school!

Yes. The summer before medical school I went on vacation, I worked some, I relaxed some, and generally had a good time. And I want to make clear what I am NOT telling you to do.

I am NOT telling you to study. I am NOT telling you to read a lot of medical texts and try to cram in the info before you start school. I am NOT telling you to spend your entire summer at the library.

I AM saying you should do vacation, enjoy yourself, have fun, and relax. At the same time, spend some of your mental down-time to start building those file folders in your brain with audio files.

For example - some people mow the yard (or trim the trees or paint the house or whatever). Put on your earphones and turn on the MP3. Learn a little. Some people have to walk the dog - same thing. Et cetera... Spend that otherwise "wasted" time of doing mindless activities the summer before medical school in creating the file folders you will slowly fill up over the next 4 years.

Your Time is Too Valuable to Waste!

Choose One of Our USMLE Audio Reviews Today -

Study On Your Schedule!

Browse USMLE Reviews Here - Get Free Monthly Downloads Here

Suspicious that this is the the one and only post by this user. I just started my account to say that it's pretty obvious that this "testimonial" is fake.