Summa Health System/NEOUCOM Residency Reviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
EMRA board response to Summa takeover:

EMRA Responds to Summa Health Closure

Funny how they then continue to run full page USACS ads on the back cover of EM Resident Magazine (the "official publication of EMRA"). The most recent in the April/May 2017 issue.

Money truly makes the world go round.

Members don't see this ad.

I sent an e-mail to ACEP explaining that I was not renewing membership due to predatory USACS practices and advertising with ACEP.

I got a phone call from Kevin Klauer (from ACEP and also USACS board member) requesting to discuss the situation. I am not returning his call.

I sent an e-mail to ACEP explaining that I was not renewing membership due to predatory USACS practices and advertising with ACEP.

I got a phone call from Kevin Klauer (from ACEP and also USACS board member) requesting to discuss the situation. I am not returning his call.
You tell acep you have concerns about usacs....and they send a usacs guy to talk to you about it?

Members don't see this ad :)
Kevin is not a bad guy. Although I did not know he was on the USACS board.

Klauer is with TeamHealth. Is TeamHealth part of USACS now?

I don't see his name listed as a board member here: https://www.usacs.com/board-members

I did the same, except I picked up when he called. You didn't miss out on much.

Klauer was with EMP/USACS for a long time. I guess he moved over to the other dark side.
USACS is at a conference right now with promo materials in the exhibit hall titled "physician ownership matters". They have some real moxie

USACS is at a conference right now with promo materials in the exhibit hall titled "physician ownership matters". They have some real moxie

They are a real life example of the truth of that statement. However, they're using the phrase "physician ownership" in a rather Orwellian fashion.

Reactions: 1 users
They are a real life example of the truth of that statement. However, they're using the phrase "physician ownership" in a rather Orwellian fashion.

Physicians do "own" the company. The REAL company is the holdings company which makes all of the money off of physician services. It is owned by a small board of physicians who started it 20 years ago, and which makes all the decisions. The other company which employs physicians is simply a CMG with a thin veil of "ownership". Essentially you get "vesting" after working 3-5 years in the company. It comes to about $40,000 in equity which is paid out if you leave the company at any point. If you are fired for cause, they can contractually take every penny away from you. That is definitely not ownership as I would define it.

Given that 6/9 of their board members are physicians, I would say 2/3 physician directors is where they claim to be physician owned.

My ACEP membership is about to expire. I'm considering emailing them with a similar message as some of you. Can someone provide a concise summary of any and all known USACS connections with ACEP leadership and policy making? It would be good if I could site as many examples as possible regarding ACEP's misplaced priorities away from SDGs and toward their large, corporate donors. Thanks.

ACEP newsletter continuing to allow USACS to advertise in their ACEP enow newsletter. On top of that, they let douchebag Dominic Bagnoli (CEO) publish a paid propaganda piece in their newsletter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
My ACEP membership is about to expire. I'm considering emailing them with a similar message as some of you. Can someone provide a concise summary of any and all known USACS connections with ACEP leadership and policy making? It would be good if I could site as many examples as possible regarding ACEP's misplaced priorities away from SDGs and toward their large, corporate donors. Thanks.

Referencing the full page USACS add, which essentially served as a guest editorial, published in the last ACEP Now seems sufficient to me.

Should we be abandoning ACEP for AAEM? I like their mission but they're kind of like the comic sans of specialty organizations.

Either that or you run for their board of directors with the intention of wreaking as much havoc as possible....

Reactions: 1 user
Should we be abandoning ACEP for AAEM? I like their mission but they're kind of like the comic sans of specialty organizations.
If comic sans is the only one fighting the exact type of crap we're discussing here (which AAEM is) then I would propose yes.

It's either that or run for the acep board

USACS is now offering a $150 K sign on bonus for 2 years at "difficult sites" including the Summa ones:

The program is as follows:

Target: We’re looking for experienced physicians (not graduating residents)
Sites: We’re aiming to fill our hardest-to-fill sites. See the link below for more details.
Timing: Now through September 15, 2017

Incentives:

1. We’ll pay $10,000 to any USACS CLINICAN OR EMPLOYEE who refers a physician colleague to USACS and the candidate starts working for us full-time at one of the selected sites. We expect you as owners to be our best referral source already, but we are adding an extra incentive for the next few months.
2. We’ll pay a $150,000 signing bonus to full-time physician candidates, payable $50,000 at start, $50,000 at year-one and $50,000 at year-two.
3. Read more about the program and the sites here.

Our number one priority is caring for patients. We’ll never take our eyes off that ball. But I challenge each of you to reach deep into your networks and spread the word about USACS. As long as health systems look to USACS for support, we will have an overwhelming need for more and more physicians. Our success depends on you! Consider this: If one in 10 USACS physicians brought in just one doctor, our entire vacancy would be eliminated. It’s not a heavy lift, but it’s a huge benefit.

Of course, if you live in one of our easier to recruit areas, you can help too. Call a friend from medical school or residency and tell them how working for USACS is a great opportunity.

Thank you in advance for your dedication to this effort.

Dominic

Dominic Bagnoli, MD, FACEP, FAAEM
Chief Executive Officer, USACS

Good. I hope the bonus goes up to 250k and no one signs up. D-bags.

Aww, I can't read where the sites are because I don't have a USACS login. Sad panda.

A friend who still works for USACS sent me this flyer today:

Attachments

• usacs.jpg
    usacs.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 269
Waco? Imagine how much shiplap you could buy at Magnolia with $150K

Reactions: 4 users
Of course, if you live in one of our easier to recruit areas, you can help too. Call a friend from medical school or residency and tell them how working for USACS is a great opportunity.

Dominic Bagnoli, MD, FACEP, FAAEM
Chief Executive Officer, USACS

I don't find that lying to my friends is generally a good thing to do.

Reactions: 3 users
Summa interim CEO announces major shake-up to top leadership

Hmm, several quarters with good financial numbers and then, for some reason, their first quarter finances suck...
While it's definitely tempting to blame the changeover (and I'm sure that made an impact), the temporal trend for hospitals nation wide was Q1 2017 sucked. Several systems in my city are cutting director and c-suite level positions wholesale in an attempt to drop adminstrative costs.

The bitch was fired

lol

I'm seriously considering a run for ACEP board of directors. I looked up the criteria on the website, and there happen to be a lot - you have to be involved in a committee at your state chapter for a number of years. Guess I have my work cut out for me lol. But those criteria suck imo.

I'm seriously considering a run for ACEP board of directors. I looked up the criteria on the website, and there happen to be a lot - you have to be involved in a committee at your state chapter for a number of years. Guess I have my work cut out for me lol. But those criteria suck imo.

It is rigged for the CMGs. They actively promote their people to be on state committees and ACEP. I suspect it is rather difficult getting in on the state level unless you are also high up with the CMG.

The current ACEP president elect happens to be from an SDG, so maybe there's hope. I'll keep you guys posted.

Anyone know how much per hour they pay at these sites? Knowing (and having worked for USACS) it can't be much

If the demand is so high that they're willing to pay a 150k bonus - I'd think it would be a lot.

150K is not much. Thats only 50k/yr. They would prob make you work 150hrs/mo for that so it comes out to 25/hr. Geeezzzzz..... Unless they are paying 350/hr, I don't know who would go into that mess.

150K is not much. Thats only 50k/yr. They would prob make you work 150hrs/mo for that so it comes out to 25/hr. Geeezzzzz..... Unless they are paying 350/hr, I don't know who would go into that mess.
You didn't see the flyer, did you? $50k up front, the next $50k after the first year, and the last $50k after 2 (TWO) years. I don't think anyone would still be around by 2 years. Oh, and, also, they don't want new grads - only "experienced".

While it's definitely tempting to blame the changeover (and I'm sure that made an impact), the temporal trend for hospitals nation wide was Q1 2017 sucked. Several systems in my city are cutting director and c-suite level positions wholesale in an attempt to drop adminstrative costs.
Learn something every day.

Although your information does make me weirdly excited for economic downturn...

I'm leaning towards not renewing my ACEP membership once my residency membership expires. ACEP may want to take note.

I will not be renewing my ACEP membership once I'm an attending. AAEM seems to have much more integrity and is much more in line with my ideals. I hope others do the same, especially new grads.

Reactions: 2 users
The current ACEP president elect happens to be from an SDG, so maybe there's hope. I'll keep you guys posted.

Yea, but at least 1/3 of their board members are from CMGs (just from a quick review) - I suspect several more are associate with CMGs, just not willing to spend the time figuring out who runs the ED where they all work.

So what happens to the EM residents at Summa?

So what happens to the EM residents at Summa?

They're all transferring to other programs at the end of June (or graduating if they're seniors).

I'm curious, anyone know where all the SEA docs ended up? I know most of them were initially holding out, but I would assume some of them wound up signing on with usucks. If I remember correctly, it was quite a few docs.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

"He said the change likely is because of reduced referrals from area doctors over what they claim are quality concerns."

"Deveny said he has been talking with local physicians groups, including Unity Health Network, which has about 120 doctors and medical providers. The group in January sent a letter of no-confidence in Summa following the change in ER physician staffing."