Successful Applicant Stats - Class of 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Having heard from my last schools this week, I finally get to post here!

21 year old male, Massachusetts resident, first time applicant

Applied:
Minnesota, Wisconsin, Ohio, Cornell, Glasgow, Tufts(IS)
Interviewed: Ohio, Tufts, Glasgow, Minnesota
Rejected: Cornell
Waitlisted: Wisconsin (68 on the waitlist if that matters to you haha), Tufts
Accepted: Minnesota, Ohio, Glasgow
Attending: Most likely Minnesota (LOVED this school), but will consider Wisconsin if I get pulled off their waitlist!!

Overall GPA: 3.67 by VMCAS standards, 3.75 by my primary school's standards
Science GPA: 3.5
Last 45 GPA: 3.72

Degree: BS Zoology with a Minor in Animal & Veterinary Sciences Dec. 2016

GRE (V/Q/W): 154 (64%) /155 (59%) /5.0 (93%)

Veterinary Experience:
-Wildlife Hospital and Exotic Pet Clinic - 350 hours as an unlicensed vet technician, 850 hours as an intern
-Aquarium Medical Center Intern assisting vets with surgeries and medical procedures - 350 hours
-Sheep C-Section Shadow in Iceland -10 Hours
-Large Animal Medicine - 20 Hours
-Assistance as a vet tech at Museum of Science - 12 Hours
Total Vet Hours - ~1600 Hours

Animal Experience:
-Penguin Husbandry Internship at aquarium - 450 hours
-Lambing assistant during lambing season in Iceland 400 hours
-Secretary of Sheep husbandry club at University Farm 800 hours
-Livestock caretaker at local farm 1000 hours
-Livestock caretaker at farm education camp 250 hours
Total: 2900 hours

Employment:
Resident Assistant for 2 years at College
LGBTQ Services Student Aid at College
Farmhand
Camp Counselor
Life Guard

Extracurricular/Community Service:
Secretary of A Capella group for 3 years
Ultimate Frisbee Intramural team
3 years (1000 hours) Volunteering in LGBTQ Services

Research:
50 hours at the time of application working for a research veterinarian studying vaccine development for Caseous Lymphadenitis in sheep, and working with the same veterinarian studying moose parasitology. Research hours now over 100.

Over 100 hours in mycobacteriophage research leading to a publication as a contributing author

Awards:
-Contributing Author of published genomics research
-Multiple Scholarships
-Deans List
-Service Award at Aquarium
-Full travel and lodging scholarship to attend and present at the National Collegiate Honors Conference
-Member of Alpha Lambda Delta Honors Society and Phi Kappa Phi Honors Society

eLORs:
Wildlife/Exotic Veterinarian
Aquarium Veterinarian
Academic Adviser
Genomics Professor

Personal Statement:
Talked about finding my love for medicine after care taking for my mother during cancer, how my transition to veterinary medicine began after my cat died from a completely preventable accident, and discussed my thrill for exotics and wildlife due to the breadth of knowledge required and how each case is a research endeavor. I also mentioned how I am excited to learn about small animal medicine because that is where the depth research is, but I focused on other areas of vet med prior to applying so I can explore all the field has to offer.

Notes:
I was nervous about applying without any small animal experience, but I am proof that you can get into multiple schools without a single hour of working with dogs or cats! I will also say that all of my interviewers took a lot of interest in my Resident Assistant position and my time spent working for LGBTQ services so I would suggest to people still a year or two away from applying to get involved with community service and underrepresented groups as I really think it was what sealed the deal for at least Ohio and Minnesota. SO excited to be posting this finally after all the years of self doubt!

Reactions: 9 users
I'm so excited to finally be posting!

22 year old female Massachusetts resident, first time applicant

Applied:
UC Davis, Penn, NC State, Cornell, Tufts(IS)
Interviewed: Penn, Tufts,
Rejected: Cornell, UC Davis
Waitlisted: NC State
Accepted: Penn, Tufts
Attending: Probably Tufts, but I am still waiting out for NC State

Overall GPA: 3.90
Science GPA: 3.95
Last 45 GPA: ??

Degree: BS in Biology w/ minor on Psychology

GRE (V/Q/W): 157 (75%) /156 (63%) /4.5 (82%)

Veterinary Experience:
- Vet tech (uncertified) in small animal/avian practice - 800 hours
- Vet tech in small animal practice - ~1000 hours
- Aquarium medical center volunteer - ~1500 hours
- Turtle emergency response volunteer working with cold stranded turtles (mix of veterinary and animal experience) - 60h

Animal Experience:
-1000+ hours working in a canine rehabilitation center.

Employment:
I didn't include any past experiences on my VMCAS app, but I had random jobs like camp counselor, professional development TA, tutoring.

Again didn't include.

Research:
N/A

Awards:
Didn't include (BUT SHOULD HAVE). I didn't realize that people put awards down like college grants and stuff from high school, but oh well.

eLORs:
Small animal/avian vet
Aquarium vet
Microbio professor and director of undergraduate studies
Biochem professor

Personal Statement:
Talked about growing up in a household without animals and how it made me know that it was the right decision for me (my parents didn't make the decision for me or influence me in any way) and talked about the importance of working with zoo/wildlife animals in order to protect biodiversity etc. Also talked about some challenges and rewards using specific stories that I experienced during small animal clinics/rescue (I pretty much tried to show that I had a variety of experiences as well as an adequate understanding from those experiences).

Edit:
I also wanted to add that I wrote my interviewers a really nice personal thank you email, and I feel that however small, it made a difference! My interviewer from Penn even mentioned it when she called me to tell me that I was accepted.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I'm so excited to finally be posting!

22 year old female Massachusetts resident, first time applicant

Applied:
UC Davis, Penn, NC State, Cornell, Tufts(IS)
Interviewed: Penn, Tufts,
Rejected: Cornell, UC Davis
Waitlisted: NC State
Accepted: Penn, Tufts
Attending: Probably Tufts, but I am still waiting out for NC State

Overall GPA: 3.90
Science GPA: 3.95
Last 45 GPA: ??

Degree: BS in Biology w/ minor on Psychology

GRE (V/Q/W): 157 (75%) /156 (63%) /4.5 (82%)

Veterinary Experience:
- Vet tech (uncertified) in small animal/avian practice - 800 hours
- Vet tech in small animal practice - ~1000 hours
- Aquarium medical center volunteer - ~1500 hours
- Turtle emergency response volunteer working with cold stranded turtles (mix of veterinary and animal experience) - 60h

Animal Experience:
-1000+ hours working in a canine rehabilitation center.

Employment:
I didn't include any past experiences on my VMCAS app, but I had random jobs like camp counselor, professional development TA, tutoring.

Again didn't include.

Research:
N/A

Awards:
Didn't include (BUT SHOULD HAVE). I didn't realize that people put awards down like college grants and stuff from high school, but oh well.

eLORs:
Small animal/avian vet
Aquarium vet
Microbio professor and director of undergraduate studies
Biochem professor

Personal Statement:
Talked about growing up in a household without animals and how it made me know that it was the right decision for me (my parents didn't make the decision for me or influence me in any way) and talked about the importance of working with zoo/wildlife animals in order to protect biodiversity etc. Also talked about some challenges and rewards using specific stories that I experienced during small animal clinics/rescue (I pretty much tried to show that I had a variety of experiences as well as an adequate understanding from those experiences).

I was an intern in NEAqs AMC this past summer! When were you there? Congrats on your acceptances!

I was an intern in NEAqs AMC this past summer! When were you there? Congrats on your acceptances!
Ah no way! I am there every Sunday, which is probably why we never overlapped. Thank you, and congrats to you too!

21 yr old female, New Hampshire Resident, 1st time applicant

Applied:
Western, Washington State, Iowa State, Kansas State, University of Missouri, Ohio State, Mississippi State
Rejected: Washington State, Ohio State, Kansas State
Interviewed: Western, Iowa State, University of Missouri, Kansas State, Mississippi State
Waitlisted: Iowa State, Mississippi State (on top 25% of waitlist)
Accepted: Western, University of Missouri
Attending: Mizzou!!!

Overall GPA: 3.7
Science GPA: 3.55
Last 45 GPA: 3.75

Degree:
Bachelor of Science – Biomedical Sciences (May 2017)

GRE (Q/V/W): 160 (78%)/151 (50%)/3 (15%)

Veterinary Experience
Small Animal (1500)
Equine (80)
Wildlife (50)
Food Animal (40)

Animal Experience
Companion Animals (1500) – Working in a pet store (3.5+ years)
Pocket pets, birds, reptiles (1270) – Working in a pet store (3.5+ years), also went to South Africa for 3 weeks (Vets in the Wild)
Dairy Cows (340) – Took a yearlong class where I milked, fed, and cleaned up after a herd of dairy cows with 26 other students (CREAM)
Equine (60) – learned to ride in a high school class
Lab animal (60) – Nutrition research on dairy cows

Other Employment
University of New Hampshire Residential Life - (RA for a year)
Studio 109 – Tumbling teacher for 2 years

Research Experience
60 hours helping a graduate student collect blood and urine samples from dairy cows

Extracurriculars/Awards
Dean’s list – listed dates
Foster Scholarship recipient – listed years
CRU - since freshman year, life group leader the past 2 years
Resident Assistant - #leadership
Head of scheduling committee for CREAM class
Hall Council – floor rep for 2 years
UNH Pre-vet club – since freshman year

LORs
Academic Adviser
Small Animal Veterinarian I shadowed for the past 3 years
Manager at pet store…because the owner is family and I thought that would be a no go

Personal Statement
Talked about my journey - how I decided that I wanted to be a veterinarian and what animals I want to work with. It read like a story, showing the turning points in my life that got me to where I am today.

Reactions: 3 users
21 yr old female, New Hampshire Resident, 1st time applicant

Applied:
Western, Washington State, Iowa State, Kansas State, University of Missouri, Ohio State, Mississippi State
Rejected: Washington State, Ohio State, Kansas State
Interviewed: Western, Iowa State, University of Missouri, Kansas State, Mississippi State
Waitlisted: Iowa State, Mississippi State (on top 25% of waitlist)
Accepted: Western, University of Missouri
Attending: Mizzou!!!

Overall GPA: 3.7
Science GPA: 3.55
Last 45 GPA: 3.75

Degree:
Bachelor of Science – Biomedical Sciences (May 2017)

GRE (Q/V/W): 160 (78%)/151 (50%)/3 (15%)

Veterinary Experience
Small Animal (1500)
Equine (80)
Wildlife (50)
Food Animal (40)

Animal Experience
Companion Animals (1500) – Working in a pet store (3.5+ years)
Pocket pets, birds, reptiles (1270) – Working in a pet store (3.5+ years), also went to South Africa for 3 weeks (Vets in the Wild)
Dairy Cows (340) – Took a yearlong class where I milked, fed, and cleaned up after a herd of dairy cows with 26 other students (CREAM)
Equine (60) – learned to ride in a high school class
Lab animal (60) – Nutrition research on dairy cows

Other Employment
University of New Hampshire Residential Life - (RA for a year)
Studio 109 – Tumbling teacher for 2 years

Research Experience
60 hours helping a graduate student collect blood and urine samples from dairy cows

Extracurriculars/Awards
Dean’s list – listed dates
Foster Scholarship recipient – listed years
CRU - since freshman year, life group leader the past 2 years
Resident Assistant - #leadership
Head of scheduling committee for CREAM class
Hall Council – floor rep for 2 years
UNH Pre-vet club – since freshman year

LORs
Academic Adviser
Small Animal Veterinarian I shadowed for the past 3 years
Manager at pet store…because the owner is family and I thought that would be a no go

Personal Statement
Talked about my journey - how I decided that I wanted to be a veterinarian and what animals I want to work with. It read like a story, showing the turning points in my life that got me to where I am today.

No way! Another NH resident! :hello: When did you interview at Iowa? I only ask because I had an awkward encounter with another NH resident in the women's bathroom on an interview day...

Ah no way! I am there every Sunday, which is probably why we never overlapped. Thank you, and congrats to you too!
I am going to be working in penguins on Saturday and Sunday's starting in mid March so maybe we will run into eachother!

Reactions: 1 user
No way! Another NH resident! :hello: When did you interview at Iowa? I only ask because I had an awkward encounter with another NH resident in the women's bathroom on an interview day...

I interviewed at Iowa on October 15th.

Members don't see this ad :)
20 yr old female, Texas Resident, 1st Time Applicant

Applied: North Carolina State, University of Florida, Purdue, Virginia-Maryland, Oklahoma State
Rejected: North Carolina State, University of Florida, Purdue, Virginia-Maryland (I got 4 back to back rejections. THAT sucked. A lot.
Interviewed/Accepted/Attending: OKLAHOMA STATE!!!! :biglove:

Overall GPA: 3.600
Science GPA: 3.47
Last 45 GPA: 3.45

Degree: At OkState for undergrad, I technically don't have a degree yet. I'm doing 3+1, 3 years of undergrad, 1 year of vet school. I will officially graduate May 2018 with my
BS Biochemistry and Molecular Biology​

GRE (Q/V/W): 154 (55%) / 153 (60%) / 4.5 (82%)

Veterinary Experience
Kennel Technician at SA and Exotics Clinic (580 hrs)
Operation Catnip Stillwater (20 hrs)

Animal Experience

Pet sitting (550 hrs)
Stillwater Humane Society (50 hrs)
Girl Scout Horse Camp (200 hrs)
Kidding goats for my friends (10 hrs)

Research Experience
Research course via the Biochemistry Department researching the genomic structure of Arhodomonas sp. Seminole and the properties that allow it to be halophilic and metabolize crude oil (50 hrs)
Honors Thesis research with a doctor at OkState CVM (still ongoing, so I don't want to mention too much about it online) (200 hrs)

Other Employment
My dad owns his own business so I spent summers from essentially 2009-2014 cleaning the office/ doing secretarial work. I put 1250 hrs, but I know it was much more than that (1250 hrs)

Extracurriculars/Awards
Alpha Omega Epsilon (sorority for engineers and technical science majors)- Academic Officer, and then Secretary.
OSU Exotics Club founder and treasurer
RUF (on campus ministry) music leader
Biochemistry Club
Pre-Vet Club
President's Honor Roll 1 semester
Dean's Honor Roll 3 semesters
OSU Early Admission Program- 3 semesters (dang you o-chem)
Guardians Drum & Bugle Corps

LORs
Small Animal Vet
Agricultural Communications Professor
HS Band Director who's known me for 11 years

Personal Statement
I started by telling a story of the first surgery I saw (I'm a surgery junkie, I can't help it), and how when I saw everything unfold, I knew that I wanted to specialize in Small Animal Surgery. I then continued with describing how I'm completely Deaf in my right ear, with only 70% hearing in my left ear. Because of this, I've had a lot of adversities growing up, and I felt that my teachers gave me an unfair advantage, so I had more to prove. I needed to excel. I mentioned that I always found challenges in hard science courses, and that my deafness has made me stronger as a person and better with dealing with challenges.
I then talked about how I marched drum corps (professional marching band) and what I learned through that. I then talked about the ****ty part of vet med how we can't always save the patient due to situations outside of our control (I told the story of when we had a 2-month kitten HBC and the spine was entirely severed and there was nothing that could be done). Finally, I concluded with a summary that everything I've learned and done has allowed me to succeed in vet med, and that I wanted to inspire others the way that I was inspired!

Notes
My hours are low. I was sooooo surprised that I got accepted. Looking back, there's definitely parts of my application that would change, but I'm soooooo excited! I'm so excited to join the class of 2021!!!!

Reactions: 20 users

Applied: North Carolina State, University of Florida, Purdue, Virginia-Maryland, Oklahoma State
Rejected: North Carolina State, University of Florida, Purdue, Virginia-Maryland (I got 4 back to back rejections. THAT sucked. A lot.

Degree: At OkState for undergrad, I technically don't have a degree yet. I'm doing 3+1, 3 years of undergrad, 1 year of vet school. I will officially graduate May 2018 with my

Veterinary Experience

Animal Experience

Pet sitting (550 hrs)

Research Experience
Research course via the Biochemistry Department researching the genomic structure of Arhodomonas sp. Seminole and the properties that allow it to be halophilic and metabolize crude oil (50 hrs)
Honors Thesis research with a doctor at OkState CVM (still ongoing, so I don't want to mention too much about it online) (200 hrs)

Other Employment
My dad owns his own business so I spent summers from essentially 2009-2014 cleaning the office/ doing secretarial work. I put 1250 hrs, but I know it was much more than that (1250 hrs)

Extracurriculars/Awards
Alpha Omega Epsilon (sorority for engineers and technical science majors)- Academic Officer, and then Secretary.
Biochemistry Club
Pre-Vet Club

LORs
Small Animal Vet

Personal Statement
I started by telling a story of the first surgery I saw (I'm a surgery junkie, I can't help it), and how when I saw everything unfold, I knew that I wanted to specialize in Small Animal Surgery. I then continued with describing how I'm completely Deaf in my right ear, with only 70% hearing in my left ear. Because of this, I've had a lot of adversities growing up, and I felt that my teachers gave me an unfair advantage, so I had more to prove. I needed to excel. I mentioned that I always found challenges in hard science courses, and that my deafness has made me stronger as a person and better with dealing with challenges.
I then talked about how I marched drum corps (professional marching band) and what I learned through that. I then talked about the ****ty part of vet med how we can't always save the patient due to situations outside of our control (I told the story of when we had a 2-month kitten HBC and the spine was entirely severed and there was nothing that could be done). Finally, I concluded with a summary that everything I've learned and done has allowed me to succeed in vet med, and that I wanted to inspire others the way that I was inspired!

Notes
My hours are low. I was sooooo surprised that I got accepted. Looking back, there's definitely parts of my application that would change, but I'm soooooo excited! I'm so excited to join the class of 2021!!!!
Congrats to you on OK State! I've seen you post a ton and I know you didn't think you would get in this cycle so I'm super pumped for you!! It gives me hope!

Veterinary Experience

Animal Experience

Pet sitting (550 hrs)

Research Experience

Other Employment

Extracurriculars/Awards
Biochemistry Club
Pre-Vet Club

LORs
Small Animal Vet

Personal Statement

Notes

It only takes one! You did it!

Reactions: 1 users

Veterinary Experience

Animal Experience

Pet sitting (550 hrs)

Research Experience

Other Employment

Extracurriculars/Awards
Biochemistry Club
Pre-Vet Club

LORs
Small Animal Vet

Personal Statement

Notes
YAY EGGY!!!! So happy for you!!

Reactions: 2 users
Man, everyone's stats are so intimidating! I feel a little embarrassed about mine in comparison, haha.

23 yr old female, Texas resident, 1st time applicant

Applied: UC Davis, Tufts, Royal Veterinary College, University of Glasgow, University of Wisconsin, Ohio State University, Texas A&M
Interview: Tufts, RVC, Glasgow, OSU, A&M
Rejected: UC Davis, Wisconsin
Accepted: RVC, Glasgow, OSU, Tufts, Texas A&M
Attending: RVC!!

Overall GPA: 3.85 (has gone up since)
Science GPA: 3.85
Last 45 GPA: 3.85 (I was a very consistent student lol)

Degree:
B.S. in Biochemistry from the University of Texas at Austin

GRE (Q/V/W): 162 (82%)/ 163 (92%) / 4.5 (82%)

Veterinary Experience
Recovery Monitor at Animal Trustees of Austin (100)
Parvo ICU Medical Volunteer at Austin Pets Alive (200)
Shadowing at small animal clinic (80)
Veterinary Assistant at Banfield (250 at time of application, but I have basically worked full time since then sooooo)

Animal Experience
Kennel technician (300)
Volunteer at a Horse Ranch (50)
Dog owner/foster

Non-Animal Volunteering
Hospital volunteer at a children's cancer center (100)
Hospital Volunteer (100)
Medical Volunteer on a mission to Guatemala (60)

Non-Animal Employment
Personal Care Assistant (basically a caretaker)
Undergraduate Teaching Assistant

Extracurriculars/Awards
Dean's List every semester
Graduated Cum Laude
Undergraduate Mentor for a Psychology class
Member of a Literary Club
Member of a Pre-Veterinary Club
Member of a Pre-Health Career Club
Member of a Gaming Club
Play the violin and piano

LORs
2 Veterinarians I worked with at Austin Pets Alive
Veterinarian I worked with at Animal Trustees
Biochemistry Professor I TA'd for
Animal Physiology Professor
(For A&M, I also asked my Parvo ICU manager and the person I worked for as a PCA)

Personal Statement
I started with how my family and I immigrated to America when I was young and that while America is a great land of opportunity, it is also extremely unforgiving of failure--especially for immigrants. As a result, my parents were very strict growing up and since veterinary medicine is seen in our culture as a "poor man's doctor" (so to speak), my family had me only study human medicine. Long story short, I eventually spiraled into depression and was hospitalized for a brief stint my junior year of college. This was a huge wakeup call for me and I decided to seriously pursue veterinary medicine. I then talked about my journey through veterinary medicine, and the valuable lessons I've learned at each of my veterinary experiences (I especially focused on my Parvo ICU experience). I discussed how shelter medicine is a huge passion for me, and it's something I hope to pursue professionally, once I become a practicing veterinarian.

Notes
Plenty of people told me to hide the fact that I was hospitalized for depression, but I decided to talk about it anyway. If the topic is super raw for you, then of course you have every right to keep that information private, but I personally don't regret mentioning it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Man, everyone's stats are so intimidating! I feel a little embarrassed about mine in comparison, haha.

Your stats are great!!! Congratulations on your acceptances!

Applied: UC Davis, Tufts, Royal Veterinary College, University of Glasgow, University of Wisconsin, Ohio State University, Texas A&M
Attending: TBD! :nailbiting::nailbiting:

Degree:

Veterinary Experience
Veterinary Assistant at Banfield (250 at time of application, but I have basically worked full time since then sooooo)

Animal Experience
Kennel technician (300)
Dog owner/foster

Non-Animal Volunteering
Hospital Volunteer (100)

Non-Animal Employment

Extracurriculars/Awards
Graduated Cum Laude
Member of a Gaming Club

LORs
(For A&M, I also asked my Parvo ICU manager and the person I worked for as a PCA)

Personal Statement
I started with how my family and I immigrated to America when I was young and that while America is a great land of opportunity, it is also extremely unforgiving of failure--especially for immigrants. As a result, my parents were very strict growing up and since veterinary medicine is seen in our culture as a "poor man's doctor" (so to speak), my family had me only study human medicine. Long story short, I eventually spiraled into depression and was hospitalized for a brief stint my junior year of college. This was a huge wakeup call for me and I decided to seriously pursue veterinary medicine. I then talked about my journey through veterinary medicine, and the valuable lessons I've learned at each of my veterinary experiences (I especially focused on my Parvo ICU experience). I discussed how shelter medicine is a huge passion for me, and it's something I hope to pursue professionally, once I become a practicing veterinarian.

Notes
Plenty of people told me to hide the fact that I was hospitalized for depression, but I decided to talk about it anyway. If the topic is super raw for you, then of course you have every right to keep that information private, but I personally don't regret mentioning it.

I also got quite a few people telling me to hide my mental health issues - I guess they thought that schools may see that as a weakness and as a potential reason for not doing well in vet school. I personally mentioned my stint with depression and suicide in my statements as well, along with my immigrant parents' view of mental illness as weakness and their wishes for me to pursue human medicine.

Guess I'm not the only one that had to suffer through that :)

I also got quite a few people telling me to hide my mental health issues - I guess they thought that schools may see that as a weakness and as a potential reason for not doing well in vet school. I personally mentioned my stint with depression and suicide in my statements as well, along with my immigrant parents' view of mental illness as weakness and their wishes for me to pursue human medicine.

Guess I'm not the only one that had to suffer through that :)
Wow, your parents sound exactly like mine! It's definitely comforting to know I'm not the only one who had to deal with that. :)

Wow, your parents sound exactly like mine! It's definitely comforting to know I'm not the only one who had to deal with that. :)
Wait are we talking about terrible parents? Me me me!

Less than one hour after getting accepted my mom told me to stop celebrating and get back to work. Then I told her I wanted to stop being in the Honor's College because there is NO benefit to me anymore, and she called me crying telling me that I'm "selling my dreams short" or something like that. The list goes on and on, but yeah. I know what you mean. :yeahright:

Less than one hour after getting accepted my mom told me to stop celebrating and get back to work. Then I told her I wanted to stop being in the Honor's College because there is NO benefit to me anymore, and she called me crying telling me that I'm "selling my dreams short" or something like that. The list goes on and on, but yeah. I know what you mean. :yeahright:
Your mum sounds like a real piece of work lol, mine likes to call me and yell at me three times a day, asking why I haven't decided what company I'm going to work for after I graduate from vet school.

She was absolutely giddy over my acceptance to A&M though, she personally told me she was glad she was in driving distance of College Station so she can check up on me as necessary.

Your mum sounds like a real piece of work lol, mine likes to call me and yell at me three times a day, asking why I haven't decided what company I'm going to work for after I graduate from vet school.

She was absolutely giddy over my acceptance to A&M though, she personally told me she was glad she was in driving distance of College Station so she can check up on me as necessary.
Your mom sounds like a piece of work as well. Oh dear. I once told my mom I was considering ECC and her first response was "what about spending Christmas with the family? What about your kids?" (Don't even have kids- don't even have a male counterpart at this time!)
I'm glad that working one religious holiday a year would be too unbearable to fathom going into the profession.

Your mom sounds like a piece of work as well. Oh dear. I once told my mom I was considering ECC and her first response was "what about spending Christmas with the family? What about your kids?" (Don't even have kids- don't even have a male counterpart at this time!)
I'm glad that working one religious holiday a year would be too unbearable to fathom going into the profession.
Oh goodness, my mum does the exact same thing when I hint at wanting to do anything that's infringing upon "precious family/holiday" time. Apparently every single time I want to spend time with friends or alone, it's a dramatic betrayal of family values.

Honestly, I can't even think about having kids because I'm scared I'm going to be a mumzilla like her.

Oh goodness, my mum does the exact same thing when I hint at wanting to do anything that's infringing upon "precious family/holiday" time. Apparently every single time I want to spend time with friends or alone, it's a dramatic betrayal of family values.

Honestly, I can't even think about having kids because I'm scared I'm going to be a mumzilla like her.
I'm glad I'm not the only one with psycho parents. They've definitely hit me with the betrayal of family values BS.

Attending: TBD! :nailbiting::nailbiting:

Degree:

Veterinary Experience

Animal Experience
Kennel technician (300)
Dog owner/foster

Non-Animal Volunteering
Hospital Volunteer (100)

Non-Animal Employment

Extracurriculars/Awards
Graduated Cum Laude
Member of a Gaming Club

LORs

Personal Statement

Notes
One of my friends worked for Austin Pets Alive, I wonder if you know her!

Wow. That's ridiculous. God help you for being happy...

When I first told my mom I was thinking about vet school, we got into a horrible argument because she didn't like the idea. She's chilled out a lot since then, but I think we'll always have a weird relationship.

24 yr old male, Texas Resident, 2nd time applicant

Applied:
MWU, LMU, Cornell, NC State, Penn, Mississippi State, Oklahoma State, Texas A&M, Ohio State
Interviewed: MWU, LMU (Declined), Penn, Mississippi State, Texas A&M, Ohio State
Rejected: NC State, Ohio State
Waitlisted: Cornell, Penn
Accepted: MWU, Mississippi State, Oklahoma State, Texas A&M
Attending: Texas A&M

Overall GPA: 3.54
Science GPA: 3.48
Last 45 GPA: 3.78

Degree: BA in Sports Medicine, Class of 2014

GRE (Q/V/W): 170 (97%)/161 (88%)/4.5 (82%)

Veterinary Experience
960 hours at my father’s mixed animal practice
200 hours at another rural mixed animal practice
220 hours at a high volume spay-neuter clinic for dogs and cats

Animal Experience
100+ hours of animal ownership (dogs growing up, have a cat now)
2320 hours at an animal shelter (dogs, cats, rabbits, occasionally guinea pigs, horses, & birds)
62 hours volunteering at the same shelter
20 hours of horse husbandry/riding lessons
32 hours of caring for RA’s pet guinea pigs at college

Extracurriculars/Awards
4 years in the marching band in college, 2 years on staff
DJ for my college’s radio station for 3 years
Member of several other bands in college (symphonic, jazz, theatre pit orchestra)
Dean’s List in my final semester (Spring 2014)

LORs
2 Veterinarians that co-owned the 2nd mixed animal practice
Professor from my undergraduate major

Personal Statement
I wrote about growing up as the son of a small-town Texas veterinarian and how my interest in the field developed over time. I talked about how attending an elite undergraduate school opened my mind to diverse cultures and academically challenged me. I also talked about how my parents’ cat and my own cat went through medical hardships that furthered my desire to become a vet.

Thanks Liquid_Pheonix! You can do it! Did you apply this year/ next year?
You're welcome! I applied this year (1st time applicant) and I am on the waitlist for UGA and MWU :)

Proof that it just takes one!!!!

21 yr old female Ohio resident, 1st time applicant

Applied:
Western U, OSU, Penn, Minn
Interviewed: Western, OSU, Minn
Rejected: Western (12/16), Penn (2/13), OSU (2/28)
Accepted: MINNESOTA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Overall GPA: 3.78
Science GPA: 3.61
Last 45 GPA: 3.78

Degree: BA in Biology, graduating May 2017

GRE (Q/V/W): 158 (71%)/158 (79%)/4.0 (56%)

Veterinary Experience: 300 hrs
Zoo Clinic - 75 hrs
Mixed Animal Practice - 150 hrs
Small Animal Hospital - 65 hrs
Equine Podiatrist - 10 hrs

Animal Experience: 1200 hrs
Farm staff - 400 hrs
Cincinnati Zoo education volunteer - 800 hrs

Research Experience: 330 hrs
Center for Conservation and Research of Endangered Wildlife project on shelter cat stress - 50 hrs
Marine biology research dealing with nitrogen fixation - 280 hrs

Extracurriculars/Awards
Biology tutor
Resident advisor
Abstract publication
Science Fellowship
Dean's Scholar
Article published in science journal

LORs
Mixed animal vet I worked with for 2 years
Supervisor at Cinci Zoo
Academic Advisor
Genetics Professor (who is also my fellowship advisor)

Reactions: 8 users
23 yr old female, Texas Resident, 1st time applicant

Applied:
Virginia-Maryland, Texas A&M, Ohio State, Oklahoma State, Purdue
Interviewed: Purdue
Rejected: Virginia-Maryland, Texas A&M, Ohio State
Waitlisted:
Accepted: Oklahoma State, Purdue
Attending: Purdue

Overall GPA: 3.59
Science GPA: I cannot recall what VMCAS calculated, sorry.
Last 45 GPA:

Degree: BS in Biomedical Science, Psychology minor (May 2017)

GRE (V/Q/W): 1st attempt: 152 (55%)/151 (43%)/4(59%)

2nd attempt 157 (75%)/147 (27%)/4.5 (82%)

(Low due to a huge educational gap)

Veterinary Experience
96 hours volunteering at a wildlife hospital raptors (time spent performing/watching medical procedures)

34 hours shadowing at a veterinary clinic that primarily treated animals upper middle class clients

70 hours shadowing at a small animal clinic that primarily treated middle class clients

230 hours volunteering as a surgical assistant at a high volume spay and neuter clinic

20 (had just started at time of app) hours working as a veterinary assistant at previously mentioned wildlife hospital

Animal Experience

422 hours at a wildlife hospital (time spent cleaning and performing daily care of patients)

240 hours volunteering as a husbandry assistant at a local botanical garden that housed several parrots and reptiles

32 hours of a volunteer vacation at a wildlife rehabilitation in my hometown

100 (capped at that to avoid overestimating) hours fostering newborn kittens for the local humane society

60 hours volunteering with intake at a low cost vaccination clinic

Research Experience: None

Extracurriculars/Awards
Worked as a peer mentor for two years

Presidents volunteer service awards

Dean’s list x3

Volunteered at a homeless shelter and as an interpretive guide at the local aquarium

VP of a non-academic/non-animal related club on campus

Amateur wildlife photographer

LORs
Veterinarian from high volume spay and neuter clinic I volunteered with

Professor who taught two of my classes and was also my faculty mentor

Manager of the wildlife hospital that I volunteered and then worked for

Personal Statement
Discussed the development of my interest in veterinary medicine beginning with my very personal reasons for being interested in animals and leading into all of the volunteer work I did as a result.

Emphasis on special experiences and details that were not easily worked in to the application.

Demonstration of knowledge of diverse veterinary career paths (wildlife, shelter, private practice) as well as the roles that veterinarians play in society.

Some of these stats not getting in proves to me vet school admissions really is a crap shoot.

Reactions: 17 users
Some of these stats not getting in proves to me vet school admissions really is a crap shoot.
I would look at the age of the applicant (maturity), that seems to be an additional factor.

I would look at the age of the applicant (maturity), that seems to be an additional factor.

On some, maybe. But even that isn't very consistent. Even within my own class, there is a wide range of maturity levels within the age groupings.

I don't think it is that big of a factor. I'm 20 and was accepted as a junior, OOS this year. Granted, I strategically centered my LORs around strengths and weaknesses, and I had one that I knew could highlight maturity. But other than that, I truly believe it's a crap shoot.

On some, maybe. But even that isn't very consistent. Even within my own class, there is a wide range of maturity levels within the age groupings.

Yeah and not getting into one school does not necessarily predict your chances at another. There is enough variety in what different schools emphasize...

I don't think age is necessarily consistent with maturity.

Last edited:
I don't think the whole stats thing is necessarily a bad thing. It shows that many schools value more than just grades, which is important given that how you present on paper does not represent your soft skills.

I don't think the whole stats thing is necessarily a bad thing. It shows that many schools value more than just grades, which is important given that how you present on paper does not represent your soft skills.

Oh I agree. I was accepted with a 3.3. But on the other hand, I would be confused to have above average stats (like many above), and be rejected by multiple schools/accepted by only one. It is what it is, though.

Also LORs? We can list who wrote them but we don't know what they say

Just emphasizes that each school has a different way of looking at applicants and then looking at the class they are building as a whole. You do the best you can...and after that it's up to the dart board ;)

Edit: heard back from IL
22 year old female, Illinois resident, first time applicant

Applied:
Illinois, Purdue, LMU
Interviewed: Illinois, Purdue, LMU
Rejected:
Waitlisted:
Accepted:
Purdue, LMU, Illinois
Attending: Purdue!

Overall GPA: 3.93
Science GPA: 3.90
Last 45 GPA: not sure

Degree: BS May 2017, Double Major in Animal Science (Pre-Veterinary Emphasis) and Biology with a Chemistry Minor

GRE (V/Q/W): 153 (59%), 151 (45%), 4.5 (80%)

Veterinary Experience:
SA/Avian/Exotic Practice - 720 hours
SA/LA/Equine - 90 hours

Animal Experience:
Animal Shelter in HS - 1200 hours
LA experience related to college coursework and extracurriculars (halter breaking, lambing, calving, showing, etc.) - 250 hours
Doggy Daycare - 300 hours

Employment:
Teaching Assistant for Chemistry Lab - 4 hours at time of submission, more after submission
Barista - 320 hours
Campus Bookstore - 80 hours (more after submission)

Pre-Vet Club, President (V.P. last year)
ALD Honor Society, Secretary
Animal Science Association (secretary last year)
Yearbook Club Editor - HS

Community Outreach Volunteer Trips to Honduras in 2011, 2012, and 2016 - 150 hours
Vacation Bible School - 20 hours

Research:
Anthelmintic drug research in university-owned horses - 100 hours
Awarded scholarship funding for research and presented findings at a national conference

Awards:
Distinguished Scholar - HS Scholarship
Presidential Scholarship
Student Achievement Award (faculty-nominated award)
Research Scholarship
Outstanding Animal Science Student Award
1st Place in a Poultry Showmanship Competition
Chancellor's List 2013-2014
Dean's List 2015-2016

eLORs:
Certified Avian Veterinarian from clinic I worked at above
One of the vets from the LA clinic mentioned above
Faculty mentor that I did research with

Personal Statement:
Connected experiences in Honduras to my interest in veterinary medicine. Told how/when my interest in veterinary medicine started and how my experiences and knowledge have grown over time. Connected my experiences studying abroad in the Galapagos Islands to the One Health Initiative and how I want to be a future contributor to One Health. Basically told my story, but did so in a way that used a lot of anecdotes so it would be memorable. Super proud of how my PS turned out, probably the best thing I have ever written, and I really think it strengthened my entire application.

Notes:
I don't think my hours stand out for really any category, but I tried to be as well-rounded as I could in every single part of the application, which I think worked to my advantage. I only applied to three schools because I wanted to spend money applying to schools I thought I had a chance of getting into and where I would attend if accepted. Luckily, my "diversifying" approach to the application paid off!

Last edited:
I feel the same way sometime but at the same time there's also a lot to the application that we don't see in these stats threads.

True! Like interviews. I'm pretty sure my interviews were majorly responsible for my wait list spots and acceptance.

Pretty surreal to even write a post like this!

22 year old female, New Hampshire resident, first time applicant

Applied:
U Penn, Tufts, Kansas State, Mizzou, Ohio State, Colorado and Iowa State
Interviewed: U Penn, Tufts, Kansas State, Mizzou (declined interview), Ohio State, and Iowa State
Rejected: Colorado
Waitlisted: N/a
Accepted: U Penn, Tufts, Kansas State, Ohio State, and Iowa State
Attending: Tufts!!!!

Overall GPA: 3.85
Science GPA: 3.81
Last 45 GPA: 3.94

Degree: BS Biology and Psychology minor (May 2017)

GRE (V/Q/W): 159 (82%), 159 (73%), 4.0

Veterinary Experience:
SA Animal Hospital- Technician- 560 hours (but continued full-time after submitting- 640 hours more)
NeAquarium Marine Mammal and Sea Turtle Intern- 420 hours
SA/Avian/Exotic Clinic- Technician Assistant - 1612 hours
SA/exotic Rehabilitation Center- Technician- 30 hours

Animal Experience:
Live-in pet sitter (blind dog) - 25+ hours
Non-profit animal shelter - Volunteer- 39 hours
Pet owner (diabetic cat) - 106 hours
SA clinic- Shadow in HS- 20 hours
Canine and Feline CPR and First Aid Certification class - 3 hours

Research:
Field and lab technician studying White Nose Syndrome in little brown and big brown bats in the MA area - 729 hours (addit. second author on the SICB 16 published presentation)

Employment:

DRC Notetaker - 264 hours
Pure Barre ambassador - 52 hours
Hostess/Floor Manager/Waitress for restaurant - 760
Dunkin' Donuts crew member (HS job) - 1950 hours

Sorority (President, VP, VP of Recruitment, Assistant) - 728
Pre-Vet Club (VP, Secretary, PR) - 243
Tri Beta Bio Honor Society (Historian, External communications) - 78
Listed various community service endeavors participated in while in sorority ~ 76

Awards:
Beta Beta Inductee
Order of Omega Inductee
Dean's List 2012-2016
CLT member (National sorority award)
(Listed other sorority awards achieved under description of it as part of extracurriculars)

AP Scholar 2012 (HS)
Rhode Island Scholar 2012 (HS)
Excellence in Christian Doctrine 2011 (HS)
Excellence in Poli Sci 2012 (HS)

eLORs:
SA/Avian Vet I worked with for 2 years
SA Vet/Clinicians Brief editor I worked with for 5 months
PI on research project
Psychology professor
Biologist from NeAq

Personal Statement:
My personal statement summarized about my paralyzing fear of birds, and how I accidentally accepted my first tech job at a practice whose patients were 75% avian species. My essay evolved to talk about how my whole journey in veterinary medicine has been overcoming challenges and fears of mine and how I aspire to continue to do that with my veterinary career.

Notes:
Seeing as I am a NH resident, I have absolutely NO in-state school or contract school! Which is why I applied to a lot of schools even though I was advised not to by previous applicants. I wanted to make sure I had options in case I didn't get into my top school (Tufts). I ended up declining my interview at Mizzou once I had received acceptance into K State (a school I loved) and could have saved some money not applying there. Do I regret applying to so many schools? No, but it is something to consider when applying for the next batch of applicants.

Reactions: 6 users