Successful Applicant Stats - Class of 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
22 year old female, Minnesota resident, first time applicant

Applied: Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, Colorado, Cornell
Interviewed: Minnesota, Iowa, Colorado
Rejected: Wisconsin, Cornell
Waitlisted: Iowa, Colorado
Accepted: Minnesota, Iowa (waitlist), Colorado (waitlist)
Attending: Minnesota :)

Overall GPA: 3.77
Science GPA: 3.53-3.7
Last 45 GPA: 3.63

Degree: BS Animal Science and minor in Psychology May 2017

GRE (V/Q/W): 150/155/4.0

Veterinary Experience:
Shadowing various small animal clinics (15 hours)
Working at university dairy farm (1000 hours)
Study abroad with CVM in Ecuador (75 hours)

Animal Experience:
Volunteer at wildlife rehab center (30 hours)
Internship at fiber goat farm (200 hours)
Worked at university sheep farm (350 hours)
Volunteer at swine nutrition facility (15 hours)
Volunteer at equine assisted therapy center (6 hours)
Student manager at university dairy farm (400 hours)
Public outreach internship with Iowa State Fair Boulevard of Dairy Breeds (150 hours)

Work Experience:
Gymnastics coach at two gyms in high school (500 hours)
HyVee (100 hours)

Extracurriculars:
4H - club offices, county ambassador, projects, volunteering
Women in science and engineering learning community
Academic chair for dorm floor
Sorority - leadership positions and committees, volunteering
Dance Marathon
Pre-Vet Club
Veterinarians Without Borders
Animal Nutrition and Behavior Club
Dairy Science Club

Awards:
High school awards for academics, sports, and music
4H - key award, achievement scholarship, achievement awards, state fair awards
President's Leadership Class
Sorority - semester awards, alum scholarship, outstanding leader of the year, order of omega
Alpha Zeta Agricultural Honors Fraternity
Scholarships from university, college, and department
National society of collegiate scholars
Highest 2% College of Agriculture and Life Sciences Freshman
Dean's list - 6 semesters

LORs
Vet/supervisor at university dairy farm
Other supervisor at university dairy farm
Goat internship boss
Academic advisor

Personal Statement
Started with my interest in veterinary medicine when I was a child and how it developed and grew in high school and college through classes and work. Talked about various experiences that defined me and why I want to be a veterinarian - losing my dad to ALS, first shadowing, internships and jobs. Touched on my leadership experiences. Ended with what being a veterinarian means to me and my goals in the field.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I got waitlisted at Tufts so I'm down to Florida or Davis. Leaning Davis heavily, but family is in Florida... decisions decisions. So no, not yet.

Both awesome options. CA vs. FL...talk about sunny and warm lol I have a friend who is 2020 Davis and loves it!

Reactions: 1 user
Which one is the cheapest? Go with that.

What are your options?:)

The ones I'm considering are CSU, Oregon, WSU, and UC Davis. Oregon and WSU are the least expensive and almost the same exact price total, but I haven't visited either so I'm going over spring break. Yay for putting off decisions even longer (I'm good at this)!!!!

The ones I'm considering are CSU, Oregon, WSU, and UC Davis. Oregon and WSU are the least expensive and almost the same exact price total, but I haven't visited either so I'm going over spring break. Yay for putting off decisions even longer (I'm good at this)!!!!
All fab opinions! Super exciting. Wherever you end up, they will be super lucky to have you, twin!

:laugh: well look at cost of living in addition to tuition. Look at potential financial aid packages. I run numbers for a living, let me know if I can help you at all.

Reactions: 1 users
:laugh: well look at cost of living in addition to tuition. Look at potential financial aid packages. I run numbers for a living, let me know if I can help you at all.

Also not trying to make your decision for you, just trying to help you with your options ;)

All fab opinions! Super exciting. Wherever you end up, they will be super lucky to have you, twin!

oh no twin you're took kind!! :love:

Thank you so much for your help and suggestions!! :D COL is definitely one thing that really separates some from the others. Yeah I am trying to look into scholarships but some schools aren't as up front about that sort of stuff. Best of luck with your decision as well!

oh no twin you're took kind!! :love:

Thank you so much for your help and suggestions!! :D COL is definitely one thing that really separates some from the others. Yeah I am trying to look into scholarships but some schools aren't as up front about that sort of stuff. Best of luck with your decision as well!

Thanks, and as far as potential scholarships, I find that the financial aid people are very helpful when it comes to getting you information. Especially if you tell them that it will help you make your decision, some schools have offered to give me an estimate financial aid packet early because I needed it to make a decision.

Thanks, and as far as potential scholarships, I find that the financial aid people are very helpful when it comes to getting you information. Especially if you tell them that it will help you make your decision, some schools have offered to give me an estimate financial aid packet early because I needed it to make a decision.

That's a really great idea... financial aid people for the university in general, right?

25 year old female, New Hampshire resident (OOS everywhere), first time applicant

To those of you who messed up in undergrad, or didn't originally choose the field of vet med see here.

Applied: Tufts, Iowa, Colorado, Davis, Washington, Ohio, Florida, Kansas
Interviewed: Tufts, Iowa, Davis, Washington (declined), Florida, Kansas
Rejected: Ohio, Colorado, Florida
Waitlisted: Tufts, Iowa
Accepted: Davis, Kansas
Attending: Davis :soexcited:

Overall GPA: 3.28
GPA Post Grad: 4.0
Science GPA: 3.79
Last 45 GPA: 4.0

Degree: BS Mathematical Sciences May 2013

GRE (V/Q/W): 156/162/4.5

Veterinary Experience:
Emergency Clinic that saw small animal, avian, and some food animals (980 hours)

Animal Experience:
1200 hours as a groomer for PetSmart
5000+ Working with horses (training, grooming, riding, camp counselor, mucking stalls ect.)

Employment:
3 years Data Analyst for an investment company
500 hours as a Dunkin Donuts cashier
2 years bus girl in a restaurant

Extracurricular/Community Service:
4 hours Habitat for Humanity (would have done more but I had an allergic reaction and couldn't keep doing it)
2 years ROTC for Air Force (They "ran out of money" for scholarships so I left)
Vice President of an Anime Club
President of Competitive Math Team

eLORs:
My Organic Chem professor
The emergency director of the emergency hospital where I interned (DVM)
A boarded surgeon at the emergency hospital where I interned (DVM)
My writing professor who claims I'm the best student/thinker she's had in years

Personal Statement
I started with a story about my experience assisting in surgery, and how I was enraptured by the field. I then went into how I came about becoming interested in the field, and how my current degree and job in the workforce was draining and unfulfilling. I spoke to my thirst for knowledge which drove me to consider changing my field. I then went into my veterinary experience and how it changed my perspective on the field in both good and bad ways. I then stated what I thought the veterinary field was about, and how I could contribute. I explained why I could handle the rigors of vet school, and ended with my goals in the field. All in 4480 characters!

Notes:
My undergrad in math almost ruined my chances at becoming a veterinarian because of my GPA. I had to apply smart and to a lot. I looked at schools that didn't weigh cumulative GPA as much or not at all. Not surprisingly I was accepted by the places that did not consider cumulative GPA at all, and waitlisted (or rejected) at the places that did consider it. I was lucky in the sense that the only science classes from undergrad was physics and I got a B. Everything else I took after I graduated with a full-time job and maintained that critical 4.0 to showcase my academic abilities. It is possible for people like us, just a little harder.

Reactions: 15 users
24 year old female, South Carolina resident, first time applicant

For anyone whose route to vet med was circuitous and not without its challenges...

Applied: Michigan, Ohio, Kansas, Iowa, Wisconsin, Georgia, Florida, Minnesota, Tennessee, Mississippi, Tufts, VA-MD
Interviewed: Ohio, Michigan, Kansas, Iowa, Florida, Minnesota, Tennessee, Mississippi
Rejected: Wisconsin, Georgia, VA-MD, Tufts
Waitlisted: Iowa, Mississippi
Accepted: Michigan, Ohio, Kansas, Florida, Minnesota, Tennessee
Attending: OHIO!!!!

Overall GPA: 3.3
GPA Post Grad: 3.75
Science GPA: 3.0
Last 45 GPA: 3.75

Degree: BA Molecular Biology, minor chemistry; MS Public Health & Emerging Infectious Diseases

GRE (V/Q/W): 159 (81%) /154 (60%) /4.5 (80%)

Veterinary Experience:
Veterinary Technician at Small Animal Hospital (156 hrs)
Veterinary Assistant at Mobile Equine Vet (590 hrs)
Cardiology Intern at Small Animal Specialty Practice (154 hrs)
Veterinary Technician Assistant at Emergency Hospital (680 hrs)
Assistant Vet Tech at Small Animal Hospital (1560 hrs)

Animal Experience:
Counselor in Training/ Counselor at Equestrian Barn (3840 hrs)
TPR Volunteer at Competitive Trail Ride (15 hrs)

Employment:
Catering Manager (and wedding planner) (3770 hrs)
Bartender/ Server (540 hrs)
Library Assistant (320 hrs)
Writing Center Tutor (288 hrs)
Community Interviewer for Epidemiological Study (27 hrs)

Student Government, and all associated committees (6020 hrs)
Hunter Jumper Show Team (1537 hrs)
Pre-Veterinary Rep for Pre-Health Club (420 hrs)
Volunteer Chef & Meal Coordinator at Homeless Services House

Research:
Biochemical Research on the effects of alcohol on the PGLIC channels; 2 publications (639 hrs)
Neglected Tropical Disease Research with Shistosoma mansoni (450 hrs)
Disease Research at USDA on PRRSV (315 hrs)

Awards:
Senior Leadership Award
Practicum Fellowship Research Scholarship
Knowledge in Action Career Internship Fund
(I put my publications under awards...)

eLORs:
Emergency vet I worked with
Biochem research PI and professor
Small animal vet
Immunology and Virology professor

Personal Statement
I grew up in a redwood forest and as a kid would go hiking, swimming, and tree climbing and would typically get in trouble by coming home with ticks or poison ivy. Every time I found a tick on me, my dad would put it under his microscope and I fell in love with the creepy crawlers of the world, from his lap. When I started getting interested in vet med, I fell in love with it through the diseases and parasites of it all. I also talked about my interest in public health and emerging zoonotic and animal infectious diseases and how that led me to vet school.

Notes:
My low GPA in undergrad was what initially made me question whether I should go to vet school. I wasn't sure I was ever going to get in. So I went to pursue a Master's in Public Health and I focused on diseases - what had initially drawn me to vet med. I am so happy I gave myself this time to explore this other interest because it really solidified for me what I wanted to do and gave me a different perspective on the career. It was in this degree I realized a different perspective of the animal-human connection and which led me to apply to vet school not necessarily to get into clinical work but to get into research and public health regarding diseases that affect the animal human connection.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

For anyone whose route to vet med was circuitous and not without its challenges...

Applied: Michigan, Ohio, Kansas, Iowa, Wisconsin, Georgia, Florida, Minnesota, Tennessee, Mississippi, Tufts, VA-MD
Interviewed: Ohio, Michigan, Kansas, Iowa, Florida, Minnesota, Tennessee, Mississippi

Degree: BA Molecular Biology, minor chemistry; MS Public Health & Emerging Infectious Diseases

GRE (V/Q/W): 159 (81%) /164 (60%) /4.5 (80%)

Veterinary Experience:

Animal Experience:

Employment:

Research:
Biochemical Research on the effects of alcohol on the PGLIC channels; 2 publications (639 hrs)

Awards:
Senior Leadership Award

eLORs:
Small animal vet

Personal Statement
I grew up in a redwood forest and as a kid would go hiking, swimming, and tree climbing and would typically get in trouble by coming home with ticks or poison ivy. Every time I found a tick on me, my dad would put it under his microscope and I fell in love with the creepy crawlers of the world, from his lap. When I started getting interested in vet med, I fell in love with it through the diseases and parasites of it all. I also talked about my interest in public health and emerging zoonotic and animal infectious diseases and how that led me to vet school.

Notes:
My low GPA in undergrad was what initially made me question whether I should go to vet school. I wasn't sure I was ever going to get in. So I went to pursue a Master's in Public Health and I focused on diseases - what had initially drawn me to vet med. I am so happy I gave myself this time to explore this other interest because it really solidified for me what I wanted to do and gave me a different perspective on the career. It was in this degree I realized a different perspective of the animal-human connection and which led me to apply to vet school not necessarily to get into clinical work but to get into research and public health regarding diseases that affect the animal human connection.

Congrats! But just as a note, is that really what you GRE percentiles were? Mine was like 82% for Quant and you scored above me...? Anyways congrats, super excited for you!

21 year old male, Maryland resident, First time applicant

Applied
: UC Davis, Cornell, Penn, Florida, Midwestern, Western, OSU, Wisconsin, Georgia, NC State, VA-MD, Illinois
Interview: UC Davis, Penn, Florida, Midwestern, Western (declined), OSU (declined), VA-MD, Illinois (declined)
Waitlisted: Florida, VA-MD, NC State, Georgia, Wisconsin
Accepted: UC Davis, Cornell, Penn, Midwestern (offered admission off the waitlist for Florida, NC State, Wisconsin)
Attending: UC Davis!

Degree: BS in Animal Science

Overall GPA: 3.99
Science GPA: 3.98
Last 45 GPA: 3.98

GRE: 161 Q, 157V, 4.0 W

Veterinary Experience
Small animal hospital vet tech- 500 hours
Shadowed equine sports medicine vet- 60 hours
Lamb watch (class involved doing physical exams and various procedures on ewes and their lambs)- 40 hours
MD State Fair Birthing Center (assisted in births of calves, piglets, and chicks; educated visitors)- 140 hours
UTA- Physiology lab (instructor for the course was a DVM, and involved working with animals)- 75 hours
UTA- Anatomy lab- 60 hours
CatNiPP volunteer (feral cat spay/neuter clinic through Washington Humane Society)- 70 hours

Animal Experience
Mouse colony manager (breeding transgenic mice and maintaining the colony)- 190 hours (at time of application)
National Aquarium internship (mainly worked with reptiles, some birds- husbandry, handling, educating guests)- 187 hours
Horse Management class- 32 hours
Campus Farm volunteer (horses, sheep, cows)- 153 hours
Animal Care Staff volunteer (mice, rats, rabbits, guinea pigs, ferrets)- 228 hours
Livestock show participant (I showed my lamb from Lamb Watch)- 20 hours

Other Experience
I am currently a Guided Study Session tutor for Genetics

Research Experience
Research assistant (I mainly assisted in experimental procedures; harvested mouse organs, cut sections, stained on slides)- 100 hours

Extracurriculars
I was a competitive fencer for 7 years and competed in many local, regional, and national tournaments. I was effectively the epee coach for UMD's club team during my freshman year, and we reached third place at the Mid-Atlantic Collegiate Fencing Association championship.
I've been a member of the UMD Pre-Vet Society all four years, and I served as the treasurer for two years.
I am a member of the Zeta Beta Tau social fraternity at UMD
I studied abroad in South Africa (Ecolife Expeditions) during summer 2014

Awards/Achievements

On track for Summa cum laude
Named as a contributing author on a research paper
Dean's List every semester
Awarded the Pre-Veterinary Scholarship- 2015
Honors College
Eagle Scout

LORs
DVM from the small animal practice where I worked for two years
My supervisor for the MD State Fair Birthing Center (former faculty member at UMD)
Anatomy professor (DVM/PhD)- I was a UTA for this class
Physiology professor (DVM/PhD)- I was a UTA for this class
The PI I work for as a mouse colony manager/research assistant (PhD)

Personal Statement
I began and closed my personal statement talking about Lamb Watch and how it demonstrated the skills required to be vet. I talked about how communication skills are critical in the profession, and how I showed my development in that respect by becoming a UTA for Anatomy and Physiology labs (and genetics now). I also talked about problem-solving, and I mentioned a specific example during my tenure as a mouse colony manager. My mice stopped breeding, and I needed to consult with my colleagues to identify the problem, figure out the best solution to the problem, and learn from my mistakes.

Last edited:
21 year old male, Maryland resident, First time applicant

Applied
: UC Davis, Cornell, Penn, Florida, Midwestern, Western, OSU, Wisconsin, Georgia, NC State, VA-MD, Illinois
Interview: UC Davis, Penn, Florida, Midwestern, Western (declined), OSU (declined), VA-MD, Illinois (declined)
Waitlisted: Florida, VA-MD, NC State, Georgia, Wisconsin
Accepted: UC Davis, Cornell, Penn, Midwestern
Attending: UC Davis!

Degree: BS in Animal Science

Overall GPA: 3.99
Science GPA: 3.98
Last 45 GPA: 3.98

GRE: 161 Q, 157V, 4.0 W

Veterinary Experience
Small animal hospital vet tech- 500 hours
Shadowed equine sports medicine vet- 60 hours
Lamb watch (class involved doing physical exams and various procedures on ewes and their lambs)- 40 hours
MD State Fair Birthing Center (assisted in births of calves, piglets, and chicks; educated visitors)- 140 hours
UTA- Physiology lab (instructor for the course was a DVM, and involved working with animals)- 75 hours
UTA- Anatomy lab- 60 hours
CatNiPP volunteer (feral cat spay/neuter clinic through Washington Humane Society)- 70 hours

Animal Experience
Mouse colony manager (breeding transgenic mice and maintaining the colony)- 190 hours (at time of application)
National Aquarium internship (mainly worked with reptiles, some birds- husbandry, handling, educating guests)- 187 hours
Horse Management class- 32 hours
Campus Farm volunteer (horses, sheep, cows)- 153 hours
Animal Care Staff volunteer (mice, rats, rabbits, guinea pigs, ferrets)- 228 hours
Livestock show participant (I showed my lamb from Lamb Watch)- 20 hours

Other Experience
I am currently a Guided Study Session tutor for Genetics

Research Experience
Research assistant (I mainly assisted in experimental procedures; harvested mouse organs, cut sections, stained on slides)- 100 hours

Extracurriculars
I was a competitive fencer for 7 years and competed in many local, regional, and national tournaments. I was effectively the epee coach for UMD's club team during my freshman year, and we reached third place at the Mid-Atlantic Collegiate Fencing Association championship.
I've been a member of the UMD Pre-Vet Society all four years, and I served as the treasurer for two years.
I am a member of the Zeta Beta Tau social fraternity at UMD
I studied abroad in South Africa (Ecolife Expeditions) during summer 2014

Awards/Achievements

On track for Summa cum laude
Named as a contributing author on a research paper
Dean's List every semester
Awarded the Pre-Veterinary Scholarship- 2015
Honors College
Eagle Scout

LORs
DVM from the small animal practice where I worked for two years
My supervisor for the MD State Fair Birthing Center (former faculty member at UMD)
Anatomy professor (DVM/PhD)- I was a UTA for this class
Physiology professor (DVM/PhD)- I was a UTA for this class
The PI I work for as a mouse colony manager/research assistant (PhD)

Personal Statement
I began and closed my personal statement talking about Lamb Watch and how it demonstrated the skills required to be vet. I talked about how communication skills are critical in the profession, and how I showed my development in that respect by becoming a UTA for Anatomy and Physiology labs (and genetics now). I also talked about problem-solving, and I mentioned a specific example during my tenure as a mouse colony manager. My mice stopped breeding, and I needed to consult with my colleagues to identify the problem, figure out the best solution to the problem, and learn from my mistakes.

Congrats! And fellow fencer!! (I fenced sabre)

Congrats! But just as a note, is that really what you GRE percentiles were? Mine was like 82% for Quant and you scored above me...? Anyways congrats, super excited for you!
Yeah, I think it depends on what test you take and how well everyone else who took the test did and the questions being asked... I remember reading about how they scored the exam but it was confusing. I pretend to understand GRE scoring but I'm quite clueless!

My husband fences sabre, if you find a place near campus let me know? It'd be awesome to try it with him sometime!

I wasn't planning on fencing during vet school but if I find a club I'll let you know. UCD could have a club team but I'm not sure.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hello! This is my first time posting on any forum on this site, so hopefully I did it right :)

22 year old female, California resident, first time applicant:

Applied:
Midwestern, Ohio, WSU, Colorado, RVC, Glasgow, UC Davis
Interviewed: UC Davis, RVC, Glasgow, Ohio (declined), Midwestern (declined)
Rejected: Colorado, WSU
Waitlisted: N/A
Accepted: RVC (5 yr program), Glasgow, UC Davis
Attending: Unsure, very, very torn between UC Davis and Glasgow (if anyone has advice...)

Overall GPA: 3.97
Science GPA: 4.0

Degree: BA History 2016, minor in Biology

GRE (V/Q/W): 161/157/4.5

Veterinary Experience:
1000+ hours VA at Banfield Hospital
200 hours shadowing a private vet

Animal Experience:
100 hours volunteering with Scottsville Animal shelter
100 hours volunteering at Nine Lives cat shelter

Employment:
Summer job as a cashier at Dairy Queen
3 semesters as a TA for Organic Chem
1 semester as a TA for Modern Japanese History
1 year as a VA at Banfield

4 years as a member of UR Paws (my university's animal club)
Choir for 2 semesters
Students Helping Honduras 1 semester
Other random clubs (like archery)

Research Experience
Research assistant in Organic chemistry for 3 semesters (around 150 hours)
Research assistant for Modern Japanese history for 1 semester (around 50 hours)
Independent history research for optional senior thesis

eLORs:
Organic Chem professor
The private vet who I shadowed under
Modern Japanese History professor

Awards:
Dean's list - 8 semesters
Elected to Phi Beta Kappa
Highest distinction and honors in research in History
Magna Cum Laude

Personal Statement
I mainly wrote about how my passion for history and how switching my major from Bio to History made me question my childhood desire to be a vet, but how, ultimately, it strengthened it. I talked about how studying history and majoring in a social science in general is more similar to veterinary medicine than it would seem on the surface, and how my research in this field will lend me insight and knowledge into veterinary medicine that research in STEM and natural sciences does not provide (in short I just really love history and wrote about how my love of it will make me a great vet :) ).

Reactions: 4 users
Yeah, I think it depends on what test you take and how well everyone else who took the test did and the questions being asked... I remember reading about how they scored the exam but it was confusing. I pretend to understand GRE scoring but I'm quite clueless!

They change slightly, but not that much- just by a few percent (if that much) every so often. I think you have a typo. A score of 164 is in the 87th percentile and the 60th percentile corresponds to a score of 155.

They change slightly, but not that much- just by a few percent (if that much) every so often. I think you have a typo. A score of 164 is in the 87th percentile and the 60th percentile corresponds to a score of 155.

Oh hey, you're right! Sorry, obviously just too excited to post and was not checking myself! Thanks @TrashPanda !

Oh hey, you're right! Sorry, obviously just too excited to post and was not checking myself! Thanks @TrashPanda !

Don't apologize! GRE scores really make no sense. I don't know why they don't just report percentiles since the whole point of the test is to compare to other test-takers anyway...

Congrats on OSU! :)

Don't apologize! GRE scores really make no sense. I don't know why they don't just report percentiles since the whole point of the test is to compare to other test-takers anyway...

Congrats on OSU! :)
Thank you!!! I'm so excited! And am already bleeding scarlet and gray! hahaha!
Have you decided on a school yet?

Thank you!!! I'm so excited! And am already bleeding scarlet and gray! hahaha!
Have you decided on a school yet?

I'm 99% sure of where I'm going, but I'm hoping to get a little more financial aid info first. Also very, very excited about everything except for student loans!

I'm 99% sure of where I'm going, but I'm hoping to get a little more financial aid info first. Also very, very excited about everything except for student loans!
It's the worst part!! Best of luck with your decision!

Thanks! Yeah I noticed that on your post. Do you think you'll continue during/after vet school?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I've been out of college and also fencing for quite a while now. There is only one fencing club in portland, ME and they dont have sabre fencers. Now that I'll be at Penn I might try to see if I can workout with their team, although I dont know if I'll have any time!

I am posting to give hope to people with lowish GPAs and not too much variety of experience (i.e. NO large animal experience at all). I always thought I wanted to be in research. In fact, I did not even decide to apply to veterinary school until about a year and a half ago. Luckily, however, almost all of my past experiences were with lab animals and so I was able to list them on my application. I was also lucky to have had great full-time internships during each of my undergraduate summers that really added up the total hours worked.

25 year old male, MA resident, First time applicant

Applied
: Cornell, Tufts, Penn, VA-MD, Tennessee, LMU, Minnesota, CSU
Interview: Tufts, VA-MD, Tennessee, LMU, Minnesota
Rejected: Penn and CSU
Waitlisted: Cornell
Accepted: Tufts, VA-MD, Tennessee, LMU, Minnesota
Attending: Undecided! (Tufts or Minnesota, but leaning toward Tufts)

Degree: BS in Neuroscience (graduated in 2014)

Overall GPA: 3.41
Science GPA: 3.31
Last 45 GPA: 3.78

GRE: 164 V Q, 158 Q, 5.0 W

Research Experience
4000 hours - Research assistant in behavioral pharmacology lab, included several different species of primates and rodents
- Note: my position here was as an RA, but much of my role was overseeing husbandry and veterinary care, along with the research. I only included this on VMCAS as research experience, but in reality it was probably half research and half veterinary
500 hours - Senior thesis project studying the role of certain peptides in social olfactory memory of rats
480 hours - Internship assisting with in vitro research to understand the molecular mechanisms of itch

Veterinary Experience
360 hours - Veterinary assistant at a SA clinic

Animal Experience
520 hours - Internship at a company that breeds rodents for research; worked in a department that diagnoses sick lab animals either in the company's colonies or from clients
480 hours - Internship in a hematology/oncology lab, studying melanoma treatment in a zebrafish

Extracurriculars
Managing Editor of my school's newspaper
President of the Chess Club
Co-President of the Students Musician's Union
Played rugby for several years
Drummer in a band, have played several shows around my city

Awards/Achievements

Selected as a member of Sigma Xi
Several poster presentations at conferences for my original post-grad research and my senior thesis research
Co-authored two research publications
Elected as a member of the Student Conduct Committee at my undergraduate school

LORs
Thesis advisor and neuroscience professor
Neuroscience/biology professor
SA/exotic/lab animal Vet

Personal Statement
I discussed how I originally thought that I wanted to pursue a research career and a PhD, but after working with research primates, I realized that my passion was with the care of the animals rather than the research itself. I brought up a certain veterinary case with a monkey, and how it initially spurred me to consider veterinary medicine. I also made sure to discuss how much of my research assistant job was actually veterinary work, since that was the biggest part of my job history and it is listed under Research Experiences. I then talked about my transition to working in a SA clinic, and ended by writing about my future goals which would be to primarily work with lab animals but to also continue to see small animal patients if possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
25 year old female, New Hampshire resident (OOS everywhere), first time applicant

To those of you who messed up in undergrad, or didn't originally choose the field of vet med see here.

Applied: Tufts, Iowa, Colorado, Davis, Washington, Ohio, Florida, Kansas
Interviewed: Tufts, Iowa, Davis, Washington (declined), Florida, Kansas
Rejected: Ohio, Colorado, Florida
Waitlisted: Tufts, Iowa
Accepted: Davis, Kansas
Attending: Davis :soexcited:

Overall GPA: 3.28
GPA Post Grad: 4.0
Science GPA: 3.79

Degree: BS Mathematical Sciences May 2013

GRE (V/Q/W): 156/162/4.5

Veterinary Experience:
Emergency Clinic that saw small animal, avian, and some food animals (980 hours)

Animal Experience:
1200 hours as a groomer for PetSmart
5000+ Working with horses (training, grooming, riding, camp counselor, mucking stalls ect.)

Employment:
3 years Data Analyst for an investment company
500 hours as a Dunkin Donuts cashier
2 years bus girl in a restaurant

4 hours Habitat for Humanity (would have done more but I had an allergic reaction and couldn't keep doing it)
2 years ROTC for Air Force (They "ran out of money" for scholarships so I left)
Vice President of an Anime Club
President of Competitive Math Team

eLORs:
My Organic Chem professor
The emergency director of the emergency hospital where I interned (DVM)
A boarded surgeon at the emergency hospital where I interned (DVM)
My writing professor who claims I'm the best student/thinker she's had in years

Personal Statement
I started with a story about my experience assisting in surgery, and how I was enraptured by the field. I then went into how I came about becoming interested in the field, and how my current degree and job in the workforce was draining and unfulfilling. I spoke to my thirst for knowledge which drove me to consider changing my field. I then went into my veterinary experience and how it changed my perspective on the field in both good and bad ways. I then stated what I thought the veterinary field was about, and how I could contribute. I explained why I could handle the rigors of vet school, and ended with my goals in the field. All in 4480 characters!

Notes:
My undergrad in math almost ruined my chances at becoming a veterinarian because of my GPA. I had to apply smart and to a lot. I looked at schools that didn't weigh cumulative GPA as much or not at all. Not surprisingly I was accepted by the places that did not consider cumulative GPA at all, and waitlisted (or rejected) at the places that did consider it. I was lucky in the sense that the only science classes from undergrad was physics and I got a B. Everything else I took after I graduated with a full-time job and maintained that critical 4.0 to showcase my academic abilities. It is possible for people like us, just a little harder.

Yay Coopah! Congrats on Davis!

GRE (V/Q/W): 159 (81%) /154 (60%) /4.5 (80%)

Veterinary Experience:

Animal Experience:

Employment:

Research:

Awards:
Senior Leadership Award

eLORs:
Small animal vet

Personal Statement

Notes:

Go Bucks!!! Can't wait to meet you in the fall, classmate!

Just coming to say I thoroughly enjoy reading about all of your diverse backgrounds!! Just goes to show how many different roads to veterinary medicine there are.

Reactions: 6 users
Just coming to say I thoroughly enjoy reading about all of your diverse backgrounds!! Just goes to show how many different roads to veterinary medicine there are.

Yes! This is why this is always my favorite thread every year (plus I actually got to post here this year, so it's extra fun haha).

Yes! This is why this is always my favorite thread every year (plus I actually got to post here this year, so it's extra fun haha).

I have always loved this thread too, even in my lurker days before I was officially a member of SDN. I love the idea of so many incredible people joining us on this journey! Congrats again, everybody. :D

Reactions: 4 users