Successful Applicant Stats - Class of 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
22 year old female, FL resident, 1st time applicant

Applied:
Tufts, Colorado St., Oregon St., UGA, UTK, UF
Rejected: Colorado St.
Interviewed: UTK, UF, Tufts (declined)
Waitlisted: UGA
Accepted: Oregon St., UTK, UF
Attending: TBA
Overall GPA: 3.9
Science GPA: 3.87
Last 45 GPA: 3.88

Degree:
Bachelor of Science, University of Florida (May 2017)--Zoology
Had to drop my Wildlife Ecology and Conservation minor this semester :'(

GRE (Q/V/W): 160 (76%)/154 (63%)(?)/ 5.0 (93%)
Pro-tip: definitely study for the verbal section (I did not...)

Veterinary Experience
--42 hours as a volunteer vet tech over the course of two weeks during Christmas vacation (LOTS of small animal surgery hands-on work)
--290 hours as a volunteer vet tech over one summer at a mixed animal practice
--300+ hours as a volunteer at the University of Florida Small Animal Hospital (Neurology, ICU, and Large and Small Animal Ophthalmology)
--50 hours shadowing the lead veterinarian at the Palm Beach Zoo
--400+ hours as a volunteer at Florida Fish and Wildlife Research Lab (I worked with two veterinarians, but we mainly did research on FL Panthers, WT Deer, and other wildlife, so I listed this under research...whoops. I got TONS of hands-on necropsy experience and even field work)

Animal Experience
--80 hours at a medical service dog organization
--10 hours at Petsmart adoption events
--60 hours at a wildlife sanctuary
--10 hours at poultry, dairy and beef cattle, and swine operations for an Intro to Animal Sciences class
--450 hours as an Avian Care Intern at the Palm Bch Zoo
--20 hours (just started this at the time of applying) at a hippotherapy center
--10 hours at Nose Work Trial events
--200 hours as a pet-sitter for geriatric pets

Employment
--Almost 4 years as a tennis instructor and summer camp counselor
--Lab Technician Assistant at Florida Fish and Wildlife Research Laboratory (I work under two veterinarians and do necropsies on all species of wildlife. I am also a part of ongoing studies on DVE, FL Panthers, and I do Avian Influenza sampling on hunted ducks)

Research Experience
--See under vet experience.
--Currently completing an honors thesis focusing on the ectoparasite burden and communities seen on the imperiled Eastern Fox Squirrel. I'm taking photographs of the squirrels' pelts and reading their RGB values to correlate them to ectoparasite loads/species. This involved extensive necropsies of the squirrels, as I had to skin them and comb their pelts for ectos.

Extracurriculars/Awards
--15 years playing tennis (USTA sanctioned tournaments as well as a competitive high school athlete)
--High school's top volunteer award
--Varsity Tennis Captain all 4 years of high school
--Varsity Athletic Award all 4 years of high school
--MVP of Tennis team 3 years of high school
--AICE Diploma
--Dean's list (3.75+) all but one semester of college
--President's Honor Roll (4.0)
--2 years as a member of the Pre-Vet club
--PR Director of Pre-Professional Service Organization
--2 years as a College of Liberal Arts Ambassador (currently the Vice President)
--Pre-Health Diplomat

eLORs
--Boss/Lead Veterinarian + FL Panther Veterinarian at FL Fish and Wildlife (FWC)
--Ophthalmology Resident at the UF Small Animal Hospital
--Zoology Professor
--College of Liberal Arts and Sciences Advisor/faculty head of CLAS Ambassadors

Personal Statement
Opened with a descriptive story of seeing a panther on the necropsy table at work and how it was the first one I had seen that died due to being hit by a car. Continued with discussing what led me to veterinary medicine as a child, how volunteering/working at FWC made me realize how important these types of cases are for disease research, population dynamics data, and to ultimately help at-risk species. Also talked about how I gained different skills from the job that can be applied to veterinary medicine (communication, critical thinking skills since we have to diagnose animals PM and notice the tiniest of details). Also brought up how volunteering at UF's Small Animal Hospital exposed me to a range of technologically advanced procedures that require you stay up-to-date with literature in our field. I ended it with one of my favorite quotes from Aldo Leopold :
"the last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant, what good is it?," which I feel is very important to veterinarians. I basically said that my goal as a veterinarian is to answer this question and help treat these animals which serve us in many different ways (agriculturally, emotionally, and have an important part in their environmental niches).

Notes About Myself
I am a first generation college student, so this entire process was quite daunting to me. In college I didn't know if I should focus on grades or hours more, so I feel that my time during the school year wasn't too well spent volunteering-wise. I also really wanted to do wildlife medicine, but working at FWC showed me that I have to sacrifice a lot to do so and with the current political climate, I have decided to switch my end-goal to some sort of specialty (I'm really leaning towards Pathology...I love infectious diseases and necropsies :love:).

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 users
Another "all your eggs in one basket" (well, 2. But became 1!) student. Risky and made for some nervous waiting but worked in the end! Can't wait to go back to my alma mater!!!!

Just turned 23 year old female, OH resident, 1st time applicant

Bachelors in Biology

Applied: VA-MD, OSU
Rejected: VA-MD
Interview: OSU
Accepted: OSU!!!!!!!!!!!!! :heckyeah:
Waitlisted: n/a
Attending: OSU! 4 more years!!! :claps:

Overall GPA: 3.97
Science GPA: 3.98
Last 45 GPA: 3.98

GRE (Q/V/W): 162 (83%)/ 157 (74%)/ 4.0 (56%)

Veterinary experience:
- Intern at a small animal clinic (140 hours)
- VIDA Volunteer in Costa Rica (small animal/some exotic experience) (~60 hours)
- OSU Oncology Unit Volunteer (14 hours)
- Volunteer at a Spay and Neuter clinic (115 hours)
- Current Job: Veterinary Assistant at an emergency small animal hospital (~1300 hours to date, ~400 at time of application)

Animal experience (without a veterinarian):
- Pet Sitter (300 hours)

Research:
Nilch! I had some experience with experimental design and statistical data interpretation through a few of my classes in college, but I never actually volunteered in a lab or designed my own experiment outside of a classroom setting. I was very nervous to have this missing from my application but I guess it's possible to get in without it!

Non-Animal Employment:
- Was previously a receptionist at a real estate company but I did not include this on my application

EC/Awards:
- 7 semesters of Dean's List (missing one due to never getting off the wait list on a 5 credit hour class and having too few credit hours remaining to qualify :yeahright:)
- Graduating summa cum laude from OSU spring 2016
- Sportsmanship Award from my high school varsity tennis team
- Varsity tennis player all 4 years of high school
- Active member of the OSU Pre-Vet club
- American Pre-Veterinary Medical Association symposium volunteer at OSU
- Lead Vocalist in a high school production

LOR's:
- Post-doc researcher/My TA from my Ecology class
- Emergency veterinarian from my current clinic
- Another emergency veterinarian from my current clinic

Personal Statement:
Started with telling a story about the first time I ever watched a veterinarian perform a surgery and how I was hooked after that. Went on to talk about how my various veterinary experiences, my biology degree, and my current work (emergency medicine is VERY stressful and fast-paced and teaches you how to manage conflict/stress) has prepared me for a rigorous professional program. Included that after reflecting on my experiences I believe that I would want to pursue small animal emergency medicine due to the constant chances for intellectual and professional growth and about how I am always looking for chances to learn. Pretty much just sold myself the best I could by emphasizing by experiences, my absolute LOVE for the sciences, as well as my knowledge of the profession and my career objectives. I also very much enjoy writing and usually add some stylistic flare to everything I write.

Thoughts about the whole shabang:
I focused a lot more on my grades through college than anything else. It really payed off, but come my senior year I knew I would have to take a gap year and work to really beef up my application. I personally strongly advocate a gap year if it is something you are considering. I have learned SO much compared to where I was prior to graduation and my veterinary technical skills (drawing blood, taking radiographs, restraint, etc.) have grown immensely.

Also, I know I'm not alone when I say I thought I did TERRIBLE in my interview. I had the worst feeling about it for weeks. I thought I was doomed after that, but I guess nervousness can really cloud your recollection of things!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What did we talk about simba. It's Michigan STATE. Michigan is the better school with the better colors and not ugly green and white.

Well now that I'm going to OSU I won't care about upsetting anyone from whichever Michigan school. Lemme start with this 100% non controversial absolutely indisputable first down in 2 OT

Attachments

• IMG_0405.PNG
    IMG_0405.PNG
    344.3 KB · Views: 137
Reactions: 2 users
What did we talk about simba. It's Michigan STATE. Michigan is the better school with the better colors and not ugly green and white.

I was going to like this but then you insulted my school. Rude.

Well now that I'm going to OSU I won't care about upsetting anyone from whichever Michigan school. Lemme start with this 100% non controversial absolutely indisputable first down in 2 OT

Dude. Just because you're going to Ohio doesn't mean we're not friends. You don't care about upsetting your friends? Rude.

Reactions: 1 users

Dude. Just because you're going to Ohio doesn't mean we're not friends. You don't care about upsetting your friends? Rude.

I'm pretty srs about football so I will have to rub any and all cfb victories in. We're still friends though, Finn! Don't threaten me by threatening our friendship, friends don't do that!

I can't get behind her insulting the color green. What did it ever do to her?

I'm from a scrub school, what is this "football"? :p

The only thing my undergrad had going for them was Women's Soccer, and everyone on the male and female soccer team at my school was a douche anyway so I'm kinda glad I can root for a school in sports now lol.

I'm pretty srs about football so I will have to rub any and all cfb victories in. We're still friends though, Finn! Don't threaten me by threatening our friendship, friends don't do that!

I give zero cares about football. If you bring it up I won't be able to hear you anyways because I will automatically fall asleep with my eyes open.
Who threatened our friendship? You were the one who said you didn't care about upsetting me. My feelings were just so hurt. :p

The only thing my undergrad had going for them was Women's Soccer, and everyone on the male and female soccer team at my school was a douche anyway so I'm kinda glad I can root for a school in sports now lol.
We have good basketball and volleyball teams and a great polo team for some reason. Our football team isn't awful, but it usually varies between middle of the road to good, there just isn't as much rabid team spirit here as there is at other schools.

Reactions: 1 user
I give zero cares about football. If you bring it up I won't be able to hear you anyways because I will automatically fall asleep with my eyes open.
Who threatened our friendship? You were the one who said you didn't care about upsetting me. My feelings were just so hurt. :p

The context was sports! I wouldn't wanna upset you, obv Finn :rolleyes:

We have good basketball and volleyball teams and a great polo team for some reason. Our football team isn't awful, but it usually varies between middle of the road to good, there just isn't as much rabid team spirit here as there is at other schools.

My undergrad did some sports. I have no idea whether we were any good at any of them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I used to really dislike sports, but then I realized they're just a good chance to go out, enjoy a nice day out (if at an actual game), hang out with friends and/or enjoy some good food and drinks. Plus the rivalries can be entertaining. I don't know much about a lot of sports still but I've been working on learning more and honestly it's been fun to be able to talk to people about them now.

Excuse you did you even watch that game?

they should not have been allowed to have refs who are from Ohio and have said that they are ****eye fans in that game. It's been a rule since it became a problem and somehow they allowed refs from both states this year, but some bull**** calls were made by the osu refs.

Our hockey team is actually pretty good though @singhb09 ! They played last night for the College Cup or something against UCLA at the Staples Center

They didn't want me this year so they're currently back on my s***list

Fair. Calling the colors ugly is like a double hit to me though. There is nothing wrong with green and white. :yeahright:

Their loss Otter, their loss.

My loss actually. I'm still grieving.

23 year-old New York resident, First Time Applicant (double gap year, lots of pre-reqs from community college)

Applied: Colorado State, Cornell, Louisiana State, Minnesota, St. George's, UPenn, and Wisconsin
Interviewed: St. George's, Colorado State, UPenn, and Minnesota
Rejected:
Waitlisted:
LSU
Accepted: Colorado State, Cornell, Minnesota, St. George’s, UPenn, Wisconsin
Attending: TBD?!?!

Overall GPA: 3.75
Science GPA: ~3.62
Last 45 GPA: 3.83

Degree:
B.S. Animal Science (2015)
B.S. International Agriculture and Rural Development (2015)
Finished pre-reqs at different institutions year following graduation (community college and state school close to home)

GRE (Q/V/W): 157/158/4.5

Vet Experiences:
Tech assistant at small animal hospital (300 hrs)
Mixed large animal shadowing (800 hrs)

Research:
Undergrad honors thesis (500 hrs)
Internship at South African Ag Research Council’s Biotechnology Platform associated with thesis project (90 hrs)
Conference prep and attendance at symposium for thesis project at ILRI in Ethiopia (72 hrs)
Summer research internship with Cooperative Extension Beef program (480 hrs)

Animal Experience:
Dairy fellowship program in college (240 hrs)
Equestrian student-athlete, animal portion (1200 hrs)
Winter break study trip in India (120 hrs)
Farm hand and beginner riding instructor (600 hrs)
Exercise rider (140 hrs)
FFA Agriscience animal projects (140 hrs)
*4H Dairy (80 hrs)
*4H Livestock – swine, sheep, goats, club president(200 hrs)
*4H Horses, competition and club e-board member (1200 hrs)

*There are very LOW estimates, since its hard to account for daily care of animals of the course of several years and I didn’t want to over-account for experiences.

Other Employment:
Full time position at tack shop doing sales and marketing during gap year (300 hrs at time of application)
Student-Athlete leadership program student intern (240 hrs)
Tasting room server at winery (525 hrs)

Extracurricular:
Youth lacrosse coach in gap year (90 hrs)
Charity Ironman triathlon team during gap year (750 hrs)
Student-athlete leadership program (25 hrs)
Spring break service trip to Guatemala (50 hrs)
Peer mentor in undergrad
Student-athlete advisory committee – e-board president (140 hrs)
Athlete Honor Society, community service-oriented (110 hrs)
Sigma Alpha professional agricultural sorority (120 hrs)
Varsity equestrian team, non-animal portion (600 hrs)
Therapeutic riding volunteer (150 hrs)
NHS in high school
Summer work camp/service mission trips in HS (200 hrs)
4H County Council president (50 hrs)
High school lacrosse – team captain (320 hrs)
Holstein Association quiz bowl contest, PA state champion team (125 hrs)

Awards:
4 x varsity letter recipient in college
7 x Dean’s list
Research Honors Thesis in Animal Science
Rookie of the Year team award
7 x 1st and 2nd Team All-Academic Awards from IHSA
2 x 1st Team Conference All-Academic Athlete award
Senior Spirit Student-Athlete Award
2 x American Society of Animal Science Award
American Dairy Science Association Award
3 x University An. Sci. Department Award
HS Agriculture Award
Master Showman at PA Farm Show for goat and lamb
FFA State Degree
4Her of the Year Award

LORs
Large Animal vet mentor
Small Animal vet mentor
Research advisor
Athlete leadership organization founder/supervisor
Dairy science professor
HS lacrosse coach

Last edited:
22 year old female, FL resident, 1st time applicant

Applied:
Tufts, Colorado St., Oregon St., UGA, UTK, UF
Rejected: Colorado St.
Interviewed: UTK, UF, Tufts (declined)
Waitlisted: UGA
Pending: UF
Accepted: Oregon St., UTK
Attending: TBA (waiting on UF, but most likely going OOS for other reasons...)
Overall GPA: 3.9
Science GPA: 3.87
Last 45 GPA: 3.88

Degree:
Bachelor of Science, University of Florida (May 2017)--Zoology
Had to drop my Wildlife Ecology and Conservation minor this semester :'(

GRE (Q/V/W): 160 (76%)/154 (63%)(?)/ 5.0 (93%)
Pro-tip: definitely study for the verbal section (I did not...)

Veterinary Experience
--42 hours as a volunteer vet tech over the course of two weeks during Christmas vacation (LOTS of small animal surgery hands-on work)
--290 hours as a volunteer vet tech over one summer at a mixed animal practice
--300+ hours as a volunteer at the University of Florida Small Animal Hospital (Neurology, ICU, and Large and Small Animal Ophthalmology)
--50 hours shadowing the lead veterinarian at the Palm Beach Zoo
--400+ hours as a volunteer at Florida Fish and Wildlife Research Lab (I worked with two veterinarians, but we mainly did research on FL Panthers, WT Deer, and other wildlife, so I listed this under research...whoops. I got TONS of hands-on necropsy experience and even field work)

Animal Experience
--80 hours at a medical service dog organization
--10 hours at Petsmart adoption events
--60 hours at a wildlife sanctuary
--10 hours at poultry, dairy and beef cattle, and swine operations for an Intro to Animal Sciences class
--450 hours as an Avian Care Intern at the Palm Bch Zoo
--20 hours (just started this at the time of applying) at a hippotherapy center
--10 hours at Nose Work Trial events
--200 hours as a pet-sitter for geriatric pets

Employment
--Almost 4 years as a tennis instructor and summer camp counselor
--Lab Technician Assistant at Florida Fish and Wildlife Research Laboratory (I work under two veterinarians and do necropsies on all species of wildlife. I am also a part of ongoing studies on DVE, FL Panthers, and I do Avian Influenza sampling on hunted ducks)

Research Experience
--See under vet experience.
--Currently completing an honors thesis focusing on the ectoparasite burden and communities seen on the imperiled Eastern Fox Squirrel. I'm taking photographs of the squirrels' pelts and reading their RGB values to correlate them to ectoparasite loads/species. This involved extensive necropsies of the squirrels, as I had to skin them and comb their pelts for ectos.

Extracurriculars/Awards
--15 years playing tennis (USTA sanctioned tournaments as well as a competitive high school athlete)
--High school's top volunteer award
--Varsity Tennis Captain all 4 years of high school
--Varsity Athletic Award all 4 years of high school
--MVP of Tennis team 3 years of high school
--AICE Diploma
--Dean's list (3.75+) all but one semester of college
--President's Honor Roll (4.0)
--2 years as a member of the Pre-Vet club
--PR Director of Pre-Professional Service Organization
--2 years as a College of Liberal Arts Ambassador (currently the Vice President)
--Pre-Health Diplomat

eLORs
--Boss/Lead Veterinarian + FL Panther Veterinarian at FL Fish and Wildlife (FWC)
--Ophthalmology Resident at the UF Small Animal Hospital
--Zoology Professor
--College of Liberal Arts and Sciences Advisor/faculty head of CLAS Ambassadors

Personal Statement
Opened with a descriptive story of seeing a panther on the necropsy table at work and how it was the first one I had seen that died due to being hit by a car. Continued with discussing what led me to veterinary medicine as a child, how volunteering/working at FWC made me realize how important these types of cases are for disease research, population dynamics data, and to ultimately help at-risk species. Also talked about how I gained different skills from the job that can be applied to veterinary medicine (communication, critical thinking skills since we have to diagnose animals PM and notice the tiniest of details). Also brought up how volunteering at UF's Small Animal Hospital exposed me to a range of technologically advanced procedures that require you stay up-to-date with literature in our field. I ended it with one of my favorite quotes from Aldo Leopold :
"the last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant, what good is it?," which I feel is very important to veterinarians. I basically said that my goal as a veterinarian is to answer this question and help treat these animals which serve us in many different ways (agriculturally, emotionally, and have an important part in their environmental niches).

Notes About Myself
I am a first generation college student, so this entire process was quite daunting to me. In college I didn't know if I should focus on grades or hours more, so I feel that my time during the school year wasn't too well spent volunteering-wise. I also really wanted to do wildlife medicine, but working at FWC showed me that I have to sacrifice a lot to do so and with the current political climate, I have decided to switch my end-goal to some sort of specialty (I'm really leaning towards Pathology...I love infectious diseases and necropsies :love:).
If you don't mind me asking, why are you choosing an OOS school over UF?

*cough* 31-0 *cough*

Hey you have no need to worry. CSU isn't on my ****list. Ask me in a year maybe. (hopefully not regardless)

CSU will always be on my grandpa's **** list. Lol. And I may or may not still be salty about three rejections in a row.

Reactions: 4 users
I honestly cannot believe I'm posting here! I've been on SDN for a couple years now and always loved reading this thread because it's so happy...at the same time, it kinda stressed me out lol. I'm posting my stats here to help, but PLEASE we are all so different, don't sell yourself short by obsessively trying to compare yourself to others. Go be amazing and show vet schools how incredible you are in your own special way:)

21 year-old female, Resident of Somewhere;), 1st time applicant

Applied: Ohio State, Cornell, Virginia-Maryland, Missouri, Mississippi
Rejected: Missouri
Interviewed: Ohio State, Virginia-Maryland, Mississippi State (declined)
Accepted: Ohio State, Virginia-Maryland
Attending: OHIO STATE…Go Bucks!:love:

Overall GPA: 3.73
Science GPA: 3.73
Last 45 GPA: 3.76

GRE (Q/V/A): 152/162/4.5

Degree: B.S. Animal Science—May 2017

Veterinary Experience:
SA GP - 700 hours
Rehab Practice - 400 hours
Equine - 75 hours
Food Animal - 10 hours
I also listed that I’ve gone to several veterinary conferences every year with my boss…MVC is this week. Can’t wait!!!

Animal Experience:
Barn employee (horses) – 4,200 hours
Barn employee (horses/alpacas) – 1,200 hours
Therapeutic riding program - 72 hours
Spay/neuter voucher program - 40 hours

Research:
I worked on some very intensive/ hands-on studies working on metabolic research in dairy cows. It was stressful sometimes and I was given a ton of responsibility, but I learned a ton and did so many really cool things. I definitely think my research experience helped me stand out and it came up a lot in interviews.– 850 hours

Non-Animal Employment:
Worked in a restaurant all through high school...people skillz

Extracurriculars:
Chemistry Departmental Tutor
Biology TA
Summer Research Program
Mentoring Programs for HS students
Pre-Vet Club
Honors College Member
Pre-Vet Scholars Program
I also listed my hobbies (Photography/Violin) which my interviewers seemed to like!

Awards:
Various Academic Scholarships
Undergraduate Research Grant x’s 2
President’s/Dean’s List

LORs:
Veterinarian who has become a truly wonderful mentor/friend
Research Professor
Physiology Professor
Dean of Research at my school

Personal Statement:
I spent soooooo much time working on my personal statement and it actually came up a good bit in my interview at OSU. I talked about how I wasn’t one of those people who knew they wanted to be a veterinarian since they were 5 years old because I grew up in a family that didn’t really value animals…for me it was a bit of a journey that started with me thinking I was going to train horses for the rest of my life (LOL) and eventually lead me to where I am today. I talked about how I really love the human aspect of vet med and those relationships with clients will always be really important to me going forward. Discussed how working in a rehab practice really changed my view on a lot of things and how one really amazing case in particular (young dog with a fibrocartilaginous embolism) really showed me how incredible the process of healing is. Talked about my extensive research involvement and all the lessons I learned from it. Ended with discussing how I want to ultimately pursue a career in specialty medicine.

Notes:
I am one of those people that will graduate this May after only three years, so I applied after only two years of undergrad. I didn’t even start working for a veterinarian until my freshman year of undergrad, so I spent every spare moment of free time I had working. Graduating in three years will save me a lot of money, but it was kinda stressful sometimes just because of how my schedule worked out, that being said it is totally doable!

Last edited:
Reactions: 17 users
I honestly cannot believe I'm posting here! I've been on SDN for a couple years now and always loved reading this thread because it's so happy...at the same time, it kinda stressed me out lol. I'm posting my stats here to help, but PLEASE we are all so different, don't sell yourself short by obsessively trying to compare yourself to others. Go be amazing and show vet schools how incredible you are in your own special way:)

21 year-old female, 1st time applicant

Veterinary Experience:
SA GP - 700 hours
Equine - 75 hours
Food Animal - 10 hours
I also listed that I’ve gone to several veterinary conferences every year with my boss…MVC is this week. Can’t wait!!!

Animal Experience:

Research:
I worked on some very intensive/ hands-on studies working on metabolic research in dairy cows. It was stressful sometimes and I was given a ton of responsibility, but I learned a ton and did so many really cool things. I definitely think my research experience helped me stand out and it came up a lot in interviews.– 850 hours

Non-Animal Employment:

Extracurriculars:
Biology TA
Summer Research Program
Pre-Vet Club
Honors College Member
Pre-Vet Scholars Program
I also listed my hobbies (Photography/Violin) which my interviewers seemed to like!

Awards:
President’s/Dean’s List

LORs:
Veterinarian who has become a mentor/friend
Research Professor
Physiology Professor

Personal Statement:
I spent soooooo much time working on my personal statement and it actually came up a good bit in my interview at OSU. I talked about how I wasn’t one of those people who knew they wanted to be a veterinarian since they were 5 years old because I grew up in a family that didn’t really value animals…for me it was a bit of a journey that started with me thinking I was going to train horses for the rest of my life (LOL) and eventually lead me to where I am today. I talked about how I really love the human aspect of vet med and those relationships with clients will always be really important to me going forward. Discussed how working in a rehab practice really changed my view on a lot of things and how one really amazing case in particular (young dog with a fibrocartilaginous embolism) really showed me how incredible the process of healing is. Talked about my extensive research involvement and all the lessons I learned from it. Ended with discussing how I want to ultimately pursue a career in academia/specialty medicine.

Notes:
I am one of those people that will graduate this May after only three years, so I applied after only two years of undergrad. I didn’t even start working for a veterinarian until my freshman year of undergrad, so I spent every spare moment of free time I had working. Graduating in three years will save me a lot of money, but it was kinda stressful sometimes just because of how my schedule worked out, that being said it is totally doable!
YAY MDREAMZ!!!!:biglove::biglove::biglove:

21 year-old female, 1st time applicant

Veterinary Experience:
SA GP - 700 hours
Equine - 75 hours
Food Animal - 10 hours

Animal Experience:

Research:

Non-Animal Employment:

Extracurriculars:
Biology TA
Summer Research Program
Pre-Vet Club
Honors College Member
Pre-Vet Scholars Program

Awards:
President’s/Dean’s List

LORs:
Veterinarian who has become a mentor/friend
Research Professor
Physiology Professor

Personal Statement:
I spent soooooo much time working on my personal statement and it actually came up a good bit in my interview at OSU. I talked about how I wasn’t one of those people who knew they wanted to be a veterinarian since they were 5 years old because I grew up in a family that didn’t really value animals…for me it was a bit of a journey that started with me thinking I was going to train horses for the rest of my life (LOL) and eventually lead me to where I am today. I talked about how I really love the human aspect of vet med and those relationships with clients will always be really important to me going forward. Discussed how working in a rehab practice really changed my view on a lot of things and how one really amazing case in particular (young dog with a fibrocartilaginous embolism) really showed me how incredible the process of healing is. Talked about my extensive research involvement and all the lessons I learned from it. Ended with discussing how I want to ultimately pursue a career in academia/specialty medicine.

Notes:

Congrats twin! So happy for you!!

I was really unsure how far my application would go since I knew I had less-than stellar number of vet experience hours and just an average GPA. Proof that it can be done! I think my Biochemistry major helped me stand out among the An Sci/Bio majors.

I received interviews everywhere I applied, and ended up being accepted at my dream school!

21 yr old female, 1st time applicant

Applied: Washington State (IS), Mississippi State, Illinois, Lincoln Memorial, University of Edinburgh
Declined Interview Offer: Illinois, Lincoln Memorial
Waitlisted: Washington
Accepted/Declined: Mississippi
Accepted/Will Attend: Edinburgh!!

cGPA: 3.68
Science GPA: 3.60
No sure about last 45 GPA
GRE (V/Q/A): 159/155/4.5

May 2017: will receive B.S. of Biochemistry

Veterinary Hours:
~60 large animal shadowing
~60 small animal shadowing
~180 small animal hands on

Animal Hours:
~700 (and counting) at research laboratory as animal technician
~600 at dog kennels/daycare facilities
~60 large animal rescue volunteer
~70 pet sitting
~4000 estimated from pet ownership (horses, dogs, cats, chickens, rabbits, goats)

Other Employment Hours:
~300 at a janitor type job
~200 tutor for chemistry/biology

Research Hours:
~100 in class research course

Extracurricular Hours:
~400 high school golf

Dean's list every semester of college and an academic scholarship

LORs:
Veterinarian from small animal hospital I spent the majority of my time at
Microbiology professor; also professor I did class research under
Employer at research laboratory

Personal Statement:
Started with my experience of breeding my rabbits. Talked about my experiences with holistic medicine (of various types), my passion for client education, my experiences in vet clinics and in the medical research laboratory and caring for the animals there.

Reactions: 5 users
21 year old Female, First Time Applicant

Applied: Penn, Tufts, Royal Veterinary College, UF, Wisconsin, Georgia, Cornell, OSU
Rejected: N/A
Interviewed: Penn, RVC, Ohio State, Tufts, Florida [Declined]
Accepted: Penn, RVC, Ohio State, Tufts
Waitlisted: Wisconsin, Georgia, Cornell
Attending: Penn!

Degree: BA in Psychology w/ a Biology and Chemistry Minor

cGPA: 4.0
Sci GPA: 4.0
Last 45: 4.0

GRE: 158V/156Q/ 4.5 Writing

Vet Experience:
-Shadowing veterinary surgeons: 125 hrs
-Interning at National Aviary: 700 Hours
- Vet Tech at the National Aviary [Started Jan 2017 after graduating a semester early in December 2016]

Animal Experience:
-Volunteering as a research assistant at Cleveland Zoo: 50 hours
-Pet Sitting: 240 hours

Other employment/volunteer/extracurriculars:
-Research Assistant at Case Medical School: 250 hours [also have a publication]
-Volunteered at a hospital- 275 Hours
-Work as Camp Counselor - 100 hours
-Pre-Vet Club
-Mortar Board
-Greek Life [With exec board positions]
-Gamma Sigma Alpha Honors Society

Awards