Substance abuse and DEA

NotAProgDirector

Pastafarians Unite!
Staff member
Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in the process of applying for my DEA number to begin residency, and there is the question "Have you had treatment for substance abuse in the last 2 years?"

A little less than two years ago, I tapered off 5 years of being prescribed benzo's and I took a LOA at this time. I entered treatment primarily for anxiety, but also received counseling around substance abuse (even if at this time it was iatrogenic substance dependence). When I applied for residencies, I mentioned my leave in the context of depression on the advice of my Dean, who told me that if I mentioned the benzo's that residencies would think that I had substance dependence issues. It's kind of a complicated picture, as most mental health issues are. Alcohol or substance dependence has not been an issue for me for some time, and I was always prescribed the benzos--never went through prescriptions etc. I do attend AA.

I was not expecting this question, but I now have to send this form not only to the state board, but to my residency coordinator. I do not want to lie on a federal form, and I am a little concerned that my PD will think that I was dishonest on my ERAS application.

Even if I could convince myself that 'no' is not really a lie, if I check the 'no' box, and a mental health issue comes up in residency, then I think there is some protocol where I have to be evaluated--and I am assuming my h/o of substance abuse/dependence would come up.

The other thing I would like to know is if I say 'yes', am I signing myself up for the physician monitoring program. I have no criminal history, no record in terms of medical school or hospital issues--never intoxicated in this setting.

Advice?

You absolutely must tell the truth on your DEA license, and on your state licensing paperwork. In general, both will give you a license as long as you're honest. If you're dishonest and they find out, you WILL lose your license, perhaps permanently.

Will your PD be angry? Not if you told the truth. You took a leave. You had no requirement to tell them why.

Does the fact that you were prescribed these vs obtaining them illegally make any difference (for this purpose)? No

Will you be put in a monitoring program? You might, depending on the state.

Members don't see this ad.