Sub-I vs Externship , which is better?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

disappointeddreamer

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an opportunity to do a Sub-I and externship, and cannot decide which is better for me to do.

The Sub-I is at a not so great community program (LOR will be from program director), and the externship is at a well known University program (LOR will be from an attending).

Which looks better on a resume? I am an IMG fwiw

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm not sure if there is a true difference between externship vs sub-I (maybe they are just named differently at different programs?) If I were you I would go to the university one as it is well known... at the community one you may not get any time working with the PD as they are probably super busy running the program, whereas at the university you'll get more 1-on-1 time with the attending and they'll be able to write you a more personal letter. Also at a big university place they are probably also more connected.

Reactions: 1 user
Sub-I >>>> externships. Externs are not usually allowed to write notes or take any significant role in pt care which would limit the utility of it. Unless they are just calling an away elective an externship. The acid test is whether you are required to have malpractice insurance.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sub-I >>>> externships. Externs are not usually allowed to write notes or take any significant role in pt care which would limit the utility of it. Unless they are just calling an away elective an externship. The acid test is whether you are required to have malpractice insurance.

Both of them require malpractice. Idk what to make of this now. lol

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm not sure if there is a true difference between externship vs sub-I (maybe they are just named differently at different programs?) If I were you I would go to the university one as it is well known... at the community one you may not get any time working with the PD as they are probably super busy running the program, whereas at the university you'll get more 1-on-1 time with the attending and they'll be able to write you a more personal letter. Also at a big university place they are probably also more connected.

I think an externship is halfway through a clerkship & sub-I. (I could be wrong though)

Thats exactly what is motivating towards the University program. I just want to go with what looks better on paper though, being an img.

Oh okay then is it an elective? Will you be a medical srudent? What will be your role? Will you be seeing pts, writing notes, coming up with management plans under supervision. If so then that is an elective and I would do that

Yes. I will be doing all of the above. The externship is completely inpatient & the Sub-I is both inpatient & outpatient.

The obvious answer is "both". But I assume both isn't an option, due to timing, money, or rules.

As discussed in this thread, the term "externship" is not well defined. In some institutions, it refers to an observership -- you just follow along, not allowed to examine patients or access the medical record, not allowed to write orders. In others, it refers to a medical student rotation for an external rotator.

As mentioned above, you should clarify what your actual duties would be on both rotations, to the best of your ability. A true "SubI" is a "Sub-Internship" -- it means that you do everything an intern is expected to do, except usually with a smaller census (often 1/2). You would be responsible for prerounding on all of the patients, presenting them on rounds, writing all orders, writing a daily progress note, preparing discharge summaries, answering calls from nursing, and signing out the service at the end of the day. An Externship can mean many different things. From your description, it sounds like the two rotations are very similar (although one is all inpatient).

In general, the Univ letter will carry more weight, especially if you're applying to Univ programs. However, if you want to go to this community program, then rotating there and performing well, esp if you're working with the PD, could move you way up their list. So what to do depends upon how competitive you are, and what you plan to do. If you have competitive USMLE scores and plan to apply to Univ programs, then you should do the Univ rotation. If you have a weaker application and are worried about matching at all, then you should do the community rotation.

You might get to "do more" in a community setting, if there aren't other students and less residents around. You might get to see sicker patients at the Univ hospital.

The obvious answer is "both". But I assume both isn't an option, due to timing, money, or rules.

As discussed in this thread, the term "externship" is not well defined. In some institutions, it refers to an observership -- you just follow along, not allowed to examine patients or access the medical record, not allowed to write orders. In others, it refers to a medical student rotation for an external rotator.

As mentioned above, you should clarify what your actual duties would be on both rotations, to the best of your ability. A true "SubI" is a "Sub-Internship" -- it means that you do everything an intern is expected to do, except usually with a smaller census (often 1/2). You would be responsible for prerounding on all of the patients, presenting them on rounds, writing all orders, writing a daily progress note, preparing discharge summaries, answering calls from nursing, and signing out the service at the end of the day. An Externship can mean many different things. From your description, it sounds like the two rotations are very similar (although one is all inpatient).

In general, the Univ letter will carry more weight, especially if you're applying to Univ programs. However, if you want to go to this community program, then rotating there and performing well, esp if you're working with the PD, could move you way up their list. So what to do depends upon how competitive you are, and what you plan to do. If you have competitive USMLE scores and plan to apply to Univ programs, then you should do the Univ rotation. If you have a weaker application and are worried about matching at all, then you should do the community rotation.

You might get to "do more" in a community setting, if there aren't other students and less residents around. You might get to see sicker patients at the Univ hospital.

Thank you for the detailed response! I am not a competitive applicant by any means. All really good points to keep in mind.