Studying in the UK

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

remmms

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I am a 12th grade high school student looking to study medicine in the UK. I apologize for sounding ignorant, I need clarification and guidance. :)

From what I've gathered, the UK education system allows you to get you to study medicine as a undergrad, correct? So are there no med schools? As in, do you qualify as a doctor fresh out of school?

Also, I missed the October 15 deadline to apply through the UCAS. What do I do now? Would it be possible for me to take a different course such as biomed and transfer the next year? Do any schools allow late applications?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello!

I am a 12th grade high school student looking to study medicine in the UK. I apologize for sounding ignorant, I need clarification and guidance. :)

From what I've gathered, the UK education system allows you to get you to study medicine as a undergrad, correct? So are there no med schools? As in, do you qualify as a doctor fresh out of school?

Also, I missed the October 15 deadline to apply through the UCAS. What do I do now? Would it be possible for me to take a different course such as biomed and transfer the next year? Do any schools allow late applications?

Thank you!

There are medical schools, they just recruit students from high school.

You can qualify as a doctor fresh out of university.

Schools don't allow late applications, there are 2 special internationally geared programs in the UK, St Andrews A990 and St George's A900 that i believe have deadlines of January 1st. However, both require your UKCAT and it would be a pretty tight deadline to get that finished and your application ready by January 1st although it is doable.

You can attend first year university and then apply to the UK using your high school grades and what not. You don't get to transfer into the program though you would start out from year 1 if you did that.

The key thing is if you do a program that is not an A100 standard program, you don't usually get the option of staying in the UK as a doctor. So in that case you would have to either apply to the states or Canada and that is very difficult. (I am assuming you are Canadian). If not, then just the states.

I suggest you think about it carefully. Definitely wait a year and attend university in your home country before making a decision to go abroad like that.

There are medical schools, they just recruit students from high school.

You can qualify as a doctor fresh out of university.

Schools don't allow late applications, there are 2 special internationally geared programs in the UK, St Andrews A990 and St George's A900 that i believe have deadlines of January 1st. However, both require your UKCAT and it would be a pretty tight deadline to get that finished and your application ready by January 1st although it is doable.

You can attend first year university and then apply to the UK using your high school grades and what not. You don't get to transfer into the program though you would start out from year 1 if you did that.

The key thing is if you do a program that is not an A100 standard program, you don't usually get the option of staying in the UK as a doctor. So in that case you would have to either apply to the states or Canada and that is very difficult. (I am assuming you are Canadian). If not, then just the states.

I suggest you think about it carefully. Definitely wait a year and attend university in your home country before making a decision to go abroad like that.

Thank you for the reply!

I've noticed that some schools offer 5-6 year degrees in medicine. How would this affect me? From my standpoint, a shorter duration of schooling would benefit me in a way that I'd pay less tuition, but are there any other advantages/disadvantages?

I understand. Even if I do take the UKCAT, I may fail or get rejected from those schools. Not the safest bet to make, I reckon. :(

Wouldn't it be a waste of time and money to attend my first year of university only to start off fresh again the next year in the UK? It would no doubt allow me to gain experience and such, but otherwise I do not see the benefits of doing so.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the reply!

I've noticed that some schools offer 5-6 year degrees in medicine. How would this affect me? From my standpoint, a shorter duration of schooling would benefit me in a way that I'd pay less tuition, but are there any other advantages/disadvantages?

I understand. Even if I do take the UKCAT, I may fail or get rejected from those schools. Not the safest bet to make, I reckon. :(

Wouldn't it be a waste of time and money to attend my first year of university only to start off fresh again the next year in the UK? It would no doubt allow me to gain experience and such, but otherwise I do not see the benefits of doing so.

It is a shorter schooling duration but you may not be able to match to Canada and that is a much bigger risk to take. It is possible to do as little as 6 years for a MD in Canada as well.

if you look on the NHS website you should find most of what you need to know. :)