Studying for the NPTE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UFballerinaDPT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When studying for the NPTE, do you usually refer to your old class notes to study for the exam or do most people buy prep books and do prep classes to study for the exam? I need to know if I actually need to save old materials for future studying, or if most people do the prep book thing... Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Save your materials. I referred to them occasionally. Personally, I used the Scorebuilders and Sullivan books simultaneously. I started front-to-back in one book and back-to-front in the other. The books are essentially in the same format chapter for chapter. This allowed me to study two different subjects at the same time (cardiopulm & ortho or wound care & neuro, etc.). I found that I remembered much more of the material doing this. I also used a white board to draw/write complex concepts out. Get a white board ;)

Reactions: 1 user
I definitely used all of my notes through PT school as well as prep course material. It's good to have as many sources as possible (in my opinion) so if you come across a tough topic, you have many places to look for information to help you understand it better!

Members don't see this ad :)
I just want to give my story. I took the NPTE 2x. Failed first time by a hair (594). Passed the 2nd time (654). Here's what I did.
First time, I read through Scorebuilders cover to cover and took the 3 scorebuilders, 1 O'Sullivan's, 1 PEAT, 2 Online Advantages (made by Scorebuilders). All practice tests I went over every question and read the commentary on each answer.

Practice test results: 65-68 in scorebuilders, 61 in O'Sullivans, a 608 on the PEAT, 65-68 in Online Advantage tests.
I went into the exam in a haze and I really felt disoriented. I think for me a lot of it was that I felt fatigued when I took the exam and it was just overwhelming--too much at one time.

After the exam, I prepared exclusively with O'Sullivans and wrote out a study guide. The first time I took the test I had just read through the book and didn't create my own study guide. Will send this to anyone who wants it. Creating a study guide and the harder content of the O'Sullivan's text just made my preparation go better.
Practice exam scores were in the mid to high 70s, early 80s at this point, but that is not a good predictor because I had taken the practice exams once already and remembered some of the answers.

I continued studying O'Sullivan until I had read the entire book through cover to cover. I kept taking the practice exams over and over and I bought two Iphone Apps-- PT Content Master ($20) and PT Question of the Day. ($10 for 6 month subscription). I kept doing questions and reading O'Sullivan.
Second time I took the exam I was more relaxed and when I finished the exam I felt like I could have kept going. My endurance wasn't shot to hell at that time. I also learned a trick or two. I budgeted time better. You have 5 hours. I used 1 hour for every section and made sure to mark and go back to any questions I didn't know. I used ALL the time. Up to the last second I spent checking and rechecking my answers.

Something else my 2nd time, I just felt like I had more mental endurance--for me that was the main thing so I saw the more studying and mental "muscle" you can build up, the better.

I just used osullivans book and took the 3 osullivan test as well as the 3 scorebuilders to go along with the retired NPTE PEAT and the practice peat. I wasn't a big fan of scorebuilders is why I spent most of my time on osullivans and I did just fine on the real exam.

This forum was helpful while I studied for the 2017 July boards.

I studied 4-6 hours a day for 6 weeks before the July exam. I would take a practice test and review my weaknesses. My stats were O'Sullivan 2017 practice test A: 64%, B:74%, C: 69% Score Builders 2017 Test I - 73%, Retired NPTE during score 2016 78%, Retired NPTE a week before the exam 90%.

NPTE first try 800.

This forum was helpful while I studied for the 2017 July boards.

I studied 4-6 hours a day for 6 weeks before the July exam. I would take a practice test and review my weaknesses. My stats were O'Sullivan 2017 practice test A: 64%, B:74%, C: 69% Score Builders 2017 Test I - 73%, Retired NPTE during score 2016 78%, Retired NPTE a week before the exam 90%.

NPTE first try 800.

I did the exact same study guide. Only used O'Sullivan and reviewed practice tests and peats as well. Same score

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You should definitely save all the stuff you worked on. It is a great additional help and it's also better for you to memorize it if you use a couple of sources. I sometimes use my notes when writing research papers for https://ca.edubirdie.com/homeworks and it makes them more original and profound.

Does anybody know private one-one npte tutors? Thank you!

I rarely used my school materials. I would recommend studying out of Scorebuilders and then taking the 2 PEAT exams. I bought the OSullivan as well but that book sucks - very dry and hard to study from, a sentiment many of my classmates agreed with. Once in awhile you need to search materials a little deeper and I usually just used physiopedia or google in general because it's faster and usually better than locating the info in your notes.

Give yourself 4-6 weeks if you are working part-time or 8 weeks if you are working full-time or on your clinical. Give yourself 1-1.5 weeks to just take practice exams and review. O

I agree with the above posters. I would just stick with the prep books and then if you run in to a hard concept either use your notes or google/youtube to help understand. You have to remember that your class notes were written for you to pass your schools test that they gave you, there are a lot of different schools of thought and not all schools cover all of them (and thats ok!). Focus on the prep books and practice tests because that will prepare you more for the national test rather than just another of your own schools tests.

Would anyone recommend the Giles PT Content Flashcards as a good supplement/study material on top of O'Sullivan. I just ordered O'Sullivan's 2018 book. Any other materials that may have helped you guys a lot? And are the cards worth it? Thanks for any advice!

Bump?

In a predicament between which books to use: O'Sullivan vs. Scorebuilders

Both have recently updated 2018 versions. I'm hearing a mix between the 2 as with O'sullivan's, it's kind of dry and difficult to read. As for Scorebuilders, it's easier and color coated as well. Both I hear that some people just studied off the O'Sullivan's. Others I hear they did both and kind of alternated, then some solely Scorebuilders.

I ordered O'sullivan's newest version releasing early November and ordered Scorebuilders PT Content Flashcards. Now I'm hesitating to cancel my pre-order and getting Scorebuilders?....

Any advice? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad :)
Many of students are used to with the prep-books and say no to learn the full concept. But we can not blame them for this because this is due to our Education System. For Example, do you know how many of them are asking for help about a single writing an Essay. they go for https://www.essaywritinglab.co.uk/assignment and took help from Experienced writers to write for them. Yes They need these services because there are lack of writing skills in School and Colleges.

Last edited:
Bump?

In a predicament between which books to use: O'Sullivan vs. Scorebuilders

Both have recently updated 2018 versions. I'm hearing a mix between the 2 as with O'sullivan's, it's kind of dry and difficult to read. As for Scorebuilders, it's easier and color coated as well. Both I hear that some people just studied off the O'Sullivan's. Others I hear they did both and kind of alternated, then some solely Scorebuilders.

I ordered O'sullivan's newest version releasing early November and ordered Scorebuilders PT Content Flashcards. Now I'm hesitating to cancel my pre-order and getting Scorebuilders?....

Any advice? Thanks in advance!

I think that if you polled a group of new grads half of them would prefer Scorebuilders and half would choose O'Sullivans. It really depends on your learning style. I will say that the Scorebuilders flash cards are pretty much just the book in flash card form. If you end up thinking that O'Sullivans is too dry and preferring the style of the cards, it would probably be very easy to resell your book and buy the SB text.

Personally, I thought that O'Sullivans was too dry and had too many details that may come in handy for practice but might not be necessary for the NPTE. I used the Scorebuilders book to study....SB, O'Sullivans and something else (I can't remember the name) for practice exams.

You need to keep your old training records. At any moment, you can turn your thoughts into thinking that you once thought and combine the old knowledge with the present. That way you can correctly and clearly spread your thoughts.

Many of students are used to with the prep-books and say no to learn the full concept. But we can not blame them for this because this is due to our Education System. For Example, do you know how many of them are asking for help about a single writing an Essay. they go for https://www.essaywritinglab.co.uk/assignment/and took help from Experienced writers to write for them. Yes They need these services because there are lack of writing skills in School and Colleges

Ahem - considering your grammar, syntax, capitalization and punctuation, I'd advise you to get some help yourself from those spam links you've been peppering into your posts.

Feelings on older editions of study guides? Are they just as good as buying the newest edition?

Feelings on older editions of study guides? Are they just as good as buying the newest edition?
I have the same question actually. I have been using 2015ed and old O-Sullivan text... I do not think anything can change inside the text. Physiology and treatment approach should not have changed in the last 3-4 years.? It would be good to know if there are any significant changes in test questions in newest TherapyEdcompared to the older ones?

I just want to give my story. I took the NPTE 2x. Failed first time by a hair (594). Passed the 2nd time (654). Here's what I did.
First time, I read through Scorebuilders cover to cover and took the 3 scorebuilders, 1 O'Sullivan's, 1 PEAT, 2 Online Advantages (made by Scorebuilders). All practice tests I went over every question and read the commentary on each answer.

Practice test results: 65-68 in scorebuilders, 61 in O'Sullivans, a 608 on the PEAT, 65-68 in Online Advantage tests.
I went into the exam in a haze and I really felt disoriented. I think for me a lot of it was that I felt fatigued when I took the exam and it was just overwhelming--too much at one time.

After the exam, I prepared exclusively with O'Sullivans and wrote out a study guide. The first time I took the test I had just read through the book and didn't create my own study guide. Will send this to anyone who wants it. Creating a study guide and the harder content of the O'Sullivan's text just made my preparation go better.
Practice exam scores were in the mid to high 70s, early 80s at this point, but that is not a good predictor because I had taken the practice exams once already and remembered some of the answers.

I continued studying O'Sullivan until I had read the entire book through cover to cover. I kept taking the practice exams over and over and I bought two Iphone Apps-- PT Content Master ($20) and PT Question of the Day. ($10 for 6 month subscription). I kept doing questions and reading O'Sullivan.
Second time I took the exam I was more relaxed and when I finished the exam I felt like I could have kept going. My endurance wasn't shot to hell at that time. I also learned a trick or two. I budgeted time better. You have 5 hours. I used 1 hour for every section and made sure to mark and go back to any questions I didn't know. I used ALL the time. Up to the last second I spent checking and rechecking my answers.

Something else my 2nd time, I just felt like I had more mental endurance--for me that was the main thing so I saw the more studying and mental "muscle" you can build up, the better.

Thank you so much for sharing this. Would you be willing to share your study guide with me? I too failed my first NPTE and am searching for better ways to study.

Hello,
Are there any one preparing for NPTE exam in April 2019 from Los Angeles area ? If any one interested to make a study group I am interested to join. We can meet at any libraries to work hard to pass NPTE. Well I am a foreign educated PT have already failed 2 times. So I am seeking only serious study partners.

@Losangelesman - we get it, you're looking for NPTE study partners. There is no need to spam every thread with your request.

Hello,
Are there any one preparing for NPTE exam in April 2019 from Los Angeles area ? If any one interested to make a study group I am interested to join. We can meet at any libraries to work hard to pass NPTE. Well I am a foreign educated PT have already failed 2 times. So I am seeking only serious study partners.

I think it's always worth to save your old notes. I never throw away anything and this habit really helped me when I was studying for the NPTE. These prep books have absolutely the same information as you already learned and written in your notes. I used my old notes and got a little help from Top 10 Nursing Essay Writing Services | LegitWritingServices.com, so I think there's no need to buy a prep book at all. You'll probably just waste your money.

I'm using the standard textbooks. For guide and practice exams I'm using 2017 edition TherapyEd. Has the practice exams changed much in new edition therapyed? I'll get PEAT too. Any advices on which additional practice exams worth purchasing? Thanks.

I'm using the standard textbooks. For guide and practice exams I'm using 2017 edition TherapyEd. Has the practice exams changed much in new edition therapyed? I'll get PEAT too. Any advices on which additional practice exams worth purchasing? Thanks.

I used TherapyEd 2014 to study for NPTE last year and did just fine. Don't waste money on buying anything else.

I used TherapyEd 2014 to study for NPTE last year and did just fine. Don't waste money on buying anything else.
Your post was extremely helpful I wanted to ask you about Therapy ed book. I have wrote a books name and author down here. Is this book named as Therapy Ed? I know this is the older version but is it so that this book's newer version is called Therapy Ed?

National Physical Therapy Examination Review & Study Guide (Red book)Susan B. O'Sullivan,Raymond P. Siegelman- 2008

I have the same question actually. I have been using 2015ed and old O-Sullivan text... I do not think anything can change inside the text. Physiology and treatment approach should not have changed in the last 3-4 years.? It would be good to know if there are any significant changes in test questions in newest TherapyEdcompared to the older ones?
Your post was extremely helpful I wanted to ask you about Therapy ed book. I have wrote a books name and author down here. Is this book named as Therapy Ed? I know this is the older version but is it so that this book's newer version is called Therapy Ed?

National Physical Therapy Examination Review & Study Guide (Red book)Susan B. O'Sullivan,Raymond P. Siegelman- 2008

Yes, that is the book! Has exact same name and authors.