Studying for step 1 during rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

juliojones123

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey everyone, i have recently taken comlex and got a good score on it but now im trying to start again studying for usmle step 1(been about a month since last studying) while im also doing rotations. Just wanted to know if anyone had any particular advice if they have gone through this as well. I took a recent practice step 1 on uworld and made a 215. obviously not my goal but not the worst starting point. I start with peds and then have IM as my first two rotations. Any advice would be great, thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, I'm in a similar situation here, I feel it is challenging as you gotta study for shelf at the same time, but IM rotations should help as it's basically an extension of step 1 material anyway, same disease, same medications. I will take my exam after a month of elective, where we don't have a shelf to study for, I hope you can set up something similar. Good luck!

Make sure you actually take NBMEs too, not just UWSAs. If you're not scoring in the range you want on the NBMEs before your exam, I'd really consider not taking it

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If the NBMEs for step I are not that great, then don't take the exam. Instead, focus on USMLE step II. It may not have the same weight as step I, but it can help.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey, I'm in a similar situation here, I feel it is challenging as you gotta study for shelf at the same time, but IM rotations should help as it's basically an extension of step 1 material anyway, same disease, same medications. I will take my exam after a month of elective, where we don't have a shelf to study for, I hope you can set up something similar. Good luck!

when are you taking your first elective? My schedule is pretty much set up already to where my first elective is next summer

If the NBMEs for step I are not that great, then don't take the exam. Instead, focus on USMLE step II. It may not have the same weight as step I, but it can help.

If you are scoring 215 on practice tests without studying for a month, absolutely make it a priority to take step 1. You should be able to bump that into the 230's or higher in a months time if you don't screw around. If you started out with a 190 that's a different conversation.