study method and efficiency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

argama

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone I was just thinking of how to study efficiently and I began to wonder how in the future, should I be accepted to med school, will I survive/do well.

Basically, my study efficiency sinks when I use a computer. Which sucks a lot for MCAT studying when I post-analyze a practice test. I study MCAT much more efficiently when I it's just like note paper, MCAT books. But obv all tests are online..

I find that when I use a computer, it's not just facebook that distracts me or youtube. I like to read a lot, and I always get distracted by news, magazines, essays, wikipedia, etc. The hours then begin to fly by and it sux. The problem is that some classes I am in I need a computer to study or for the MCAT when I take a practice test I need to use the computer. Which is one of the reasons why I am so slow in my post-game analysis :((

WHich then also leads to this: if I'm in med school (x years from now), and I try to avoid using my computer for studying, is it possible to still keep up w/all that materials? I hear the volume of info is a lot and a lot o f schools have recorded lectures & posted materials.

I wish there was a way I can stay focused for long periods of time when I use a computer. =( Any advice people can give?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I mean... you really can't stop yourself from getting distracted by pop ups? If it's that serious then maybe during medical school you should deactivate your Facebook or if you have a friend that's a computer whiz, maybe he can setup some way that when you need to, you can turn off access to other webpages except your school website that has the lectures posted. But in order for you to go to that length then this would need to be really serious. So is it really that serious?

Use google chrome, and use the website blocker extension. I use this when I absolutely cannot be distracted. Put in every single site you think might distract you, put in the time you want it locked until and don't look back.

Members don't see this ad :)
Use a internet filter (Netnanny, K9 web, etc) to filter out the distracting sites. Though this is only treating the symptom and the underlying cause (procrastination?) still remains.

naw not pop ups. More like I unknowingly gravitate to sites like New Yorker, The Atlantic, WSJ, Economist b/c I love those sites. And then I just kind of devour articles b/c I love reading that stuff. Like I don't know why I am distracted by those sites so badly....

I might be like doing some work, and then all of a sudden I have this urge to read some article or something interesting from Arts & Letters Daily or it's weird. Then one thing leads to the next and presto, 3.5 hours gone.

Facebook I am usually "Ok" b/c just signing out makes me too lazy to sign back in.

Use google chrome, and use the website blocker extension. I use this when I absolutely cannot be distracted. Put in every single site you think might distract you, put in the time you want it locked until and don't look back.

Use a internet filter (Netnanny, K9 web, etc) to filter out the distracting sites. Though this is only treating the symptom and the underlying cause (procrastination?) still remains.

That's really awesome I had know idea that existed!

naw not pop ups. More like I unknowingly gravitate to sites like New Yorker, The Atlantic, WSJ, Economist b/c I love those sites. And then I just kind of devour articles b/c I love reading that stuff. Like I don't know why I am distracted by those sites so badly....

I might be like doing some work, and then all of a sudden I have this urge to read some article or something interesting from Arts & Letters Daily or it's weird. Then one thing leads to the next and presto, 3.5 hours gone.

Facebook I am usually "Ok" b/c just signing out makes me too lazy to sign back in.

Well on the bright side, your MCAT verbal score will probably be really good :thumbup: lol kinda wish I was like that! I think those filter websites sound like a really good idea though.

actually my VR score is not good b/c I think I have grown a bit opinionated in issues & subjects loll

BUt yeah thanks for those filters, I should check those out.

It might be procrastination (ok it probably is).

Instead of saying..you will study for "x" amount of time. Try a more goal oriented approach. Study 2 chapters of material then take a short break. Do a section test, then take a short break. If you can't do anymore studying that day, then don't. Try to build up your study stamina by doing more and more. Med school and the MCAT are no joke, so you have to really want to do it! Keep yourself motivated by knowing if you do well on this test, you will greatly increase your chances of getting into med school and eventually becoming a doctor. It always worked for me.

Then one thing leads to the next and presto, 3.5 hours gone.

I can sort of relate, it sounds like my wiki binge habit. I start out looking something up that is related to work/school, then a couple pages later I'm on a completely unrelated topic and have multiple tabs open that I haven't read yet.

I use the Stayfocusd extension and give myself a set amount of time per day that I can spend on all my time-waster sites. After a few months, I thought I had trained myself to not waste time and removed the extension, but within two weeks I was back to my previous habits...

Members don't see this ad :)
Ohhh it was intended :naughty:

You killed the pun... never say "Pun Intended".

I use the Stayfocusd extension and give myself a set amount of time per day that I can spend on all my time-waster sites. After a few months, I thought I had trained myself to not waste time and removed the extension, but within two weeks I was back to my previous habits...

The idea is self-control. Resisting temptation is key.

You killed the pun... never say "Pun Intended".

:bang: We learn from our mistakes I guess :/

I can sort of relate, it sounds like my wiki binge habit. I start out looking something up that is related to work/school, then a couple pages later I'm on a completely unrelated topic and have multiple tabs open that I haven't read yet.

I SDN binge. I'll go on just planning to browse a couple minutes and then I'll see someone post something that is soooo wrong and suddenly I'm on here for hours lol

And sometimes I'll binge for a couple days where I'm literally spending 1/3 of my day on here and then I don't come on for several weeks.

It's complicated lol

Indeed, if you don't have self control, you will always be a victim to your habits.

What I do is save all my fun sites (Facebook, anime, manga, shopping) for weekend browsing only and do only school/life related sites during the week; email, SDN, recipes, maybe medical documentaries.

This really just boils down to an issue of willpower. And yes, you should settle it before you start school. There are definitely some otherwise smart people in my class that are struggling to get by simply because they have terrible study habits. And frankly, it's hard to generate any sympathy - sorry you couldn't stop looking at jezebel or whatever garbage and ended up failing.

I do exactly this.

:thumbup:

Just buy a good printer and print the notes. It's not that hard to develop some self control in medical school. The fear of failure is a powerful force.