Study habits as older, non-trad and married med student

Sthpawslugger

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a matriculating med student next fall, I will be 37 and a newly wed. I'd like to know about the study habits of those whom are in the similar non-trad, married/partner category. How often did you study at home vs with classmates? Did you limit how often and with whom you studied out of respect for your s/o? I'm also open to hearing from the non-medical student spouse/partner to see this from a different perspective. Succeeding in medical school is a top priority as not just my future but our future depends on it. Yet, she's making a sacrifice to stand by me as she has while a pre-med, grad student and later as a medical student, thus I want to be fair and always considerate of her. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I studied wherever I felt like I would be the most productive for that given class/subject. Sometimes that was at home, at school, with classmates, in the lab, etc. It didn't matter to my SO which of those because I wasn't able to pay them any attention when I was home studying anyway, so being there or not had no effect. He also wanted me to be the most productive and efficient I could be both for my performance and for the time that we could get together when I was done.

It's so much more important, imo, to have time that you completely devote to school and then time that you completely devote to them and blur the lines as little as possible. They'll appreciate your full attention much more than you simply being home but unavailable.

Reactions: 1 users