USMLE/COMLEX Study and Fun

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kissprep.com

Vendor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do you make studying fun? Trade secrets please share.

Members don't see this ad.

Studying is fun when it is interactive and the lecturer isn't mono-toned. Keep making it more interactive.... it keep me awake :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Study tip 1:
When I am studying, I constantly ask myself how things are this way, or why they have to occur this way. It keeps me away from memorizing pages of information without actually understanding the physiologic mechanisms behind the information. Asking how and why can expose you to repeated themes and patterns that occur and can be applied in many different situations. Being able to apply themes and patterns brings about many "OMG ITS JUST THIS AGAIN!!" moments, and for me, that is fun.

Reactions: 1 user
Study Tip 2:
Mnemonics. Everybody uses them; and they can be extremely effective. The problem comes when there are SO MANY mnemonics to remember that you can't remember which mnemonic applies to which material. That is why I like mnemonics that are either: 1. Directly related to the material 2. Bust a gut for a minute funny 3. Ideally BOTH and finally 4. USED SPARINGLY to remember the most difficult material. If you can understand how and why things work the way they do, you can often remember the details via the mechanism and won't need to use a mnemonic.

Reactions: 1 users
Study TIp 3:
Laugh! Coming up with funny ways to remember material or explaining it to others in a unique or comedic way serves as a "memory anchor" for that material. You will remember how it felt to laugh while talking about the material, and that will bring the information to the forefront of your mind, allowing you to access it quickly and use it effectively.

Reactions: 1 user