STUDY ADVICE FOR NEW NAPLEX

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I still don't think it's much of the schools fault, as you are saying. I am curious to see the new stats though.

Imo, it's the crop of students. I knew a lot of *******es in the class ahead of me, therefore I was not surprised in the least to see their ****ty pass rate.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

That's what I'm saying. Schools have lowered their admission standards to fill seats and now these lower performing students are being hit with an even harder exam.

Members don't see this ad.

That's what I'm saying. Schools have lowered their admission standards to fill seats and now these lower performing students are being hit with an even harder exam.

Have anyone taken the old and new naplex? Is the new one much harder?

that is a good question....the new test came out like 6 months ago? I don't think you will get many feedbacks on old vs new test.

Members don't see this ad :)
that is a good question....the new test came out like 6 months ago? I don't think you will get many feedbacks on old vs new test.

I guess we just have to wait for the result to come back?

Can you really take the NAPLEX and MPJE again after you have passed?

I think it was Lord9999 who said he takes the test every single year for his job. If I'm remembering correctly, he is the one you would need to ask.

Good luck to everyone studying your pharmacy exams. I run a pharmacy in London and am looking for post graduate staff to to begin their career with us. I look forward to receiving interest from you once you have been awarded your certificate.

Reactions: 1 user
So suppose someone is already licensed and retakes the NAPLEX and fails. What happens? I assume nothing

I think it was Lord9999 who said he takes the test every single year for his job. If I'm remembering correctly, he is the one you would need to ask.

Lord9999, what is your expert advice?

So suppose someone is already licensed and retakes the NAPLEX and fails. What happens? I assume nothing

Probably nothing.

I know an out of state pharmacist who had to take the NAPLEX again because CA doesn't take pre 2004 NAPLEX results.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Probably nothing.

I know an out of state pharmacist who had to take the NAPLEX again because CA doesn't take pre 2004 NAPLEX results.

I don't think most pharmacists would pass if they have to retake the naplex lol

I don't have to take it every year, but I do take the 100% form (as in all the questions, both scored and nonscored so it's in the area of 400 or so in 4 hours) as part of the calibration for some of the questions (and I was a writer in years past) during every major revision including this one where they've gone back to the standard. There isn't much of a change besides they got rid of some of the inane questions (methyldopa is indicated for BP treatment in...,the color of warfarin 5mg as defined in USP should be....). They are a bit more hardcore about what's in antiretrovirals and there are questions on biologicals that have come in since the original time I took it. When I have taken the real exam (not the 100%), I have passed in safe territory >125 each time for the four times I've done it (2004, 2007, 2011, 2016).

There's no expert advice I can give, except that experience helps as didactics. I don't consider the exam any more difficult than the day I took it, and I don't keep up with the drugs as I don't have a standard practice like most of us on this board. Most of the people who I see fail, fail because they lack the relevant time at dispensing to take the exam seriously (and I mean from both the orthodox inpatient basement and outpatient retail perspectives). I actually recommend failed candidates to work as well as study to see the drugs in practice so it becomes rote. This is much like the best way to learn a language is to supplement the lessons with watching TV in the language (preferably news and trashy shows) and be chatty with someone in that language as practical use especially for usage.

Now, the MPJE, I don't have that advice. I've passed closed to the minimum (thank you, Texas for the +2 pt pass) because I didn't realize some quirks in the state and never had intern practice or even secondary experience when I attempted the exams. You just have to figure out from others what you get nailed on (In AZ, you get a lot of questions about keeping records, what happens when you operate a pharmacy that closes at night, and nursing home kits. The year I took Texas, I got a bunch of questions about the Pharmacy Class for closed shop pharmacies that I had to randomly guess as I had no idea).

Probably nothing.

It counts as an exam fail for the total attempts (and there's some state-based rule about when fails can be "forgiven"), but no, a first time failure is not a big deal. There is someone on this board who was screwed over because this person failed twice under the old standard, then failed under the new standard for the first time years later, which the state counted as 3 attempts not 1. I wish that would have been counted as 1.

@CNB
I fully disagree with the idea that old pharmacists couldn't pass the current exam. Not even with the BCPS (where if you can pass that, you should pass the new standard NAPLEX drunk), but if you are in reasonable practice, you should be able to cold turkey the exam besides a quick (as in a hour or two) review with those calculations on the exam that no one does in practice like Class III balance, aliquot, and MEq/MOsM. Now, those people who cheated their way through school and passed on a good day, yeah they still suck and we still have them in practice and couldn't consistently pass the exam, but even administrative pharmacists should be able to pass this on the basis of bad memory, it is that easy. This is a minimum competency exam, I want everyone to practice better than just passable here. Although I will acknowledge that there are observably idiotic pharmacists out there, I don't think you have the perspective where classes were such that your worst students were reasonably competent such that the curriculum was universally thought of as a joke as well as the licensing exams. It sucks where you are in a program where they admit people that it wasn't a obvious certainty at admission that they would pass the NAPLEX (although there are schools that admit for things that have nothing to do with pharmacy which they deserve what they get).

I kind of wish that the minimum competency standard would be the PEBC (Canadian) exam, because once upon a time, the Canadians would take the NAPLEX when it was NABPLEX, but broke off and made their own exam because the NABPLEX was too substandard for themselves. That's how low a regard others have for the exam.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
It counts as an exam fail for the total attempts (and there's some state-based rule about when fails can be "forgiven"), but no, a first time failure is not a big deal. There is someone on this board who was screwed over because this person failed twice under the old standard, then failed under the new standard for the first time years later, which the state counted as 3 attempts not 1. I wish that would have been counted as 1.

@CNB
I fully disagree with the idea that old pharmacists couldn't pass the current exam. Not even with the BCPS (where if you can pass that, you should pass the new standard NAPLEX drunk), but if you are in reasonable practice, you should be able to cold turkey the exam besides a quick (as in a hour or two) review with those calculations on the exam that no one does in practice like Class III balance, aliquot, and MEq/MOsM. Now, those people who cheated their way through school and passed on a good day, yeah they still suck and we still have them in practice and couldn't consistently pass the exam, but even administrative pharmacists should be able to pass this on the basis of bad memory, it is that easy. This is a minimum competency exam, I want everyone to practice better than just passable here. Although I will acknowledge that there are observably idiotic pharmacists out there, I don't think you have the perspective where classes were such that your worst students were reasonably competent such that the curriculum was universally thought of as a joke as well as the licensing exams. It sucks where you are in a program where they admit people that it wasn't a obvious certainty at admission that they would pass the NAPLEX (although there are schools that admit for things that have nothing to do with pharmacy which they deserve what they get).

I kind of wish that the minimum competency standard would be the PEBC (Canadian) exam, because once upon a time, the Canadians would take the NAPLEX when it was NABPLEX, but broke off and made their own exam because the NABPLEX was too substandard for themselves. That's how low a regard others have for the exam.

So if you passed the naplex and for some reason you retake it and fail then what would happen?

@CNB

Have you taken the latest version? How is it compared to the pre 2017 version?

Have you taken the latest version? How is it compared to the pre 2017 version?

He hasn't.

From what I've been reading and seeing, it's more or less the same thing.

Starts
Starts the fail counter at 1 even if you had passed it in the past.

I think what BM is asking, or at least what I am wondering, would the pharmacist lose their license?

anybody think 2017 results will be better than 2016 results?

anybody think 2017 results will be better than 2016 results?

My school's scores were a lot higher, but its a relatively young school. My biased perspective says yes 2017 > 2016!