Students attending TCD in fall 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spockdoc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I am from Canada and was recently accepted to Trinity College Dublin School of Medicine. I was looking to hear from other students who are starting school at TCD in fall 2016.

Members don't see this ad.

I am from the U.S. and was recently accepted to TCD, too! I am still finalizing things but will likely attend - very excited!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats!
Anyone mind posting GPA/MCAT stats? I'm curious as to what range they are for TCD given that it is a 5 year program.

is everyone considering Trinity Hall or finding their own place to live?

My GPA was a 3.68 and my MCAT score was pretty low, it was 24, but I don't think TCD looks at MCAT scores, thank god.

I'm still debating between Trinity Hall and finding a place. My hesitation with Trinity Hall is that it's not right on campus so you still have to travel to get to your classes. Also I'm 23 and don't know how I feel about being roomed with a bunch of students fresh out of high school, also I really like to cook and would prefer to have my own kitchen.

3.68/24. congrats! wow.

Did you have other things on your app like research? volunteering in hospitals?

are you american? or canadian?

I'm Canadian, I've coached a bunch of different sports teams over the years, did my honours thesis for my undergraduate through Ottawa Hospital, then did a summer review paper through the Ottawa hospital. Two years ago moved to the Arctic for 6 months and supply taught, and then this past year I've worked in the Arctic supply teaching/doing office work. Not really sure what they look for.

I am canadian with a GPA of maybe 3.4-3.5. MCAT score is 507. I have some research experience but mostly lots of volunteering experience. I accepted the offer to attend TCD

My GPA was a 3.68 and my MCAT score was pretty low, it was 24, but I don't think TCD looks at MCAT scores, thank god.

I'm still debating between Trinity Hall and finding a place. My hesitation with Trinity Hall is that it's not right on campus so you still have to travel to get to your classes. Also I'm 23 and don't know how I feel about being roomed with a bunch of students fresh out of high school, also I really like to cook and would prefer to have my own kitchen.

I'm in the same boat, I'll be 24 by the time I go. I'm very torn though because I want to be able to meet lots of people, and looking for my own place without visiting first seems stressful....

I'm heading there in July to check it out (it just worked out that my family is doing a trip to England this summer) so I think I'll look around and see what they have for housing. It seems like Dublin is really expensive!

Skuog and ZBM where in Canada are you guys from? I grew up in a small town near Toronto and then went to University in Ottawa.

I'm from Edmonton. I might visit Ireland in end of july. Although I'm not sure how much I can accomplish in Ireland for a few days. I'm convincing myself to stay on campus if there is availability for the first year just to know my way around Dublin.

I'm from a small town 3 hours north of Toronto but went to school in Guelph. You both should let me know what you find out when you visit!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone! I'm a U.S student who was also recently accepted into TCD med and will most likely attend. I'm really excited and am looking forward to meeting you all! I was considering the accommodations provided by the college for the first year just to make the transition a bit simpler.

I had a 3.5 - 3.6 gpa and a 504 mcat, along with volunteering and some research. I'm really glad TCD doesn't require the mcat and seems to consider their applicants holistically. Congrats to everyone!

Last edited:
Hey, I am from Canada and was recently accepted to Trinity College Dublin School of Medicine. I was looking to hear from other students who are starting school at TCD in fall 2016.
hey! I am also from canada and will be attending trinity in the fall of 2016. Do you know where youre going to live? on campus or not?

I'm heading there in July to check it out (it just worked out that my family is doing a trip to England this summer) so I think I'll look around and see what they have for housing. It seems like Dublin is really expensive!

Skuog and ZBM where in Canada are you guys from? I grew up in a small town near Toronto and then went to University in Ottawa.
I went to the university of ottawa as well and going to trinity in the fall too! wanna message me on facebook so we can chat?

hey! I am also from canada and will be attending trinity in the fall of 2016. Do you know where youre going to live? on campus or not?

At first I was thinking about finding a flat in Dublin but after looking into the prices and thinking about it, I think it would be easier to spend first year at Trinity Hall. I like the idea of the modern ensuite rooms, and it seems like they would room international med students together (but I'm not sure about that)

hey! maybe we should make a group instead of a page to like so that we can actually see and interact with other members better? :)

Reactions: 1 users
hey! maybe we should make a group instead of a page to like so that we can actually see and interact with other members better? :)
Good idea! What's your name i'll message you on facebook :)

At first I was thinking about finding a flat in Dublin but after looking into the prices and thinking about it, I think it would be easier to spend first year at Trinity Hall. I like the idea of the modern ensuite rooms, and it seems like they would room international med students together (but I'm not sure about that)

Ya same!

What's your name? I'll message you on facebook :)

Stumbled accross this documentary series on first year anatomy at TCD and the anatomical donor program. [The videos didn't embed properly but you can still click on the links]:

Part 1:

Part 2:

It's kind of heavy (goes into the lives of the donors and their loved ones) but very well made. Interesting to see what our first year will be like!

Last edited:

Congrats on your acceptance! Just a quick question - did you have any distinguishable characteristics on your resume such as publications, community service, and/or other extracurricular activities? I ask because I am in a similar GPA/MCAT as you are.

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats on your acceptance! Just a quick question - did you have any distinguishable characteristics on your resume such as publications, community service, and/or other extracurricular activities? I ask because I am in a similar GPA/MCAT as you are.

Thanks, I messaged you to give you more details, but a brief description of my extracurriculars are above.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello All,

Congratulations to everyone!! I was wondering if TCD has a white coat ceremony for the 5 years program?

I am curious to know, is everyone on here is a mature student? anybody older than 25 yrs? It fells like it will mostly be students out of high school!!

Hi there, I realize you are all finishing up your first year at TCD for med. I applied to start this Sept 2017 and im just looking to hear from anyone about when they were accepted? It is listed as late March till late April however another thread said people didn't hear till May. Any information would help out, as I cannot stop thinking about my application!

Hi there, I realize you are all finishing up your first year at TCD for med. I applied to start this Sept 2017 and im just looking to hear from anyone about when they were accepted? It is listed as late March till late April however another thread said people didn't hear till May. Any information would help out, as I cannot stop thinking about my application!

Hello, I am still waiting to hear from TCD 5 year Medicine Program. So far I just got an interview date for RCSI-MUB.

Hello

I was wondering if someone could tell me the matching rates, course loads, lifestyle etc at TCD.
I got an offer for the 5 year program.