Student Perspective of WesternU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

burritodoc

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I don't see very much on here about WesternU. Do any prospective students have any questions about anything?

I am a second year student and really appreciated this site when I was researching schools. Some topics I was curious about at the time were things like curriculum/atmosphere of the campus/ board pass rate/residency match, etc.
Let me know what questions you have about WesternU podiatry :clap::)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 8 users
Hi everyone!

I don't see very much on here about WesternU. Do any prospective students have any questions about anything?
:clap: :)

I have not seen much on here about Western U either... Can you let me know the pros and cons of Western U as compared to the other Podiatry schools?

Thanks!

Reactions: 1 users
Yay!
Hi everyone!

I am a second year student and really appreciated this site when I was researching schools. Some topics I was curious about at the time were things like curriculum/atmosphere of the campus/ board pass rate/residency match, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone!

How do you think the DO and podiatry shared curriculum effects the overall effectiveness of the education?

I have not seen much on here about Western U either... Can you let me know the pros and cons of Western U as compared to the other Podiatry schools?

Thanks!
Hi MasterHeeler!

I'm a second year at WesternU and here are some pros and cons:
Pros:
Shared curriculum with the Osteopathic Medicine program (cardiology, endocrinology, nephrology, etc.)
Close relationships with our DO counterparts.
Close relationships with our faculty and dean!
An inter-professional campus that feels like a big university, rather than a small community of just podiatry students.
Seven externship opportunities before residency applications.

Cons:
Lack of an on campus cafeteria, we have a small convenience store cafe type of set up.

One if the best ways to spread the word about your experiences at your school is to fill out the questionnaire in the "questions and answers about podiatry school" thead.

Reactions: 3 users
How do you think the DO and podiatry shared curriculum effects the overall effectiveness of the education?

The answer for this really depends on the student. For me, I thought that having the same curriculum as the DO students has enhanced my learning and education. The med students don't compete with the podiatry students for grades - actually the atmosphere here is very friendly. There are massive facebook pages where all the DO/Pod students share resources. You'll get attachments of study guides, youtube video links, helpful website links, reminders for quizzes that you nearly forget, etc. I think my grades are better because these resources save me tons of time and effort.

Also, you will do some small group activities with DO students throughout the first two years. In gross anatomy, each cadaver has around 3 medical students and 1 podiatry student, so they force integration on us from the beginning. Some students thought it was a little rocky at first, partly because most DOs had no idea what podiatry is and they grumbled a little that they had to share their labs/classes/teachers with students in a profession that they didn't even know existed. But after we "educate" (lol :p) them about what podiatry is, interactions are much smoother and there are rarely issues.

I think it is a good thing that the DO/Pod students are integrated into the same curriculum here because it expands public awareness and knowledge about our field. The DO students here eventually become practicing physicians that will have a respect for podiatry because they understand the difficulty of our curriculum (because we went through it together!) and it enhances respect for what we do.

This response really varies by each individual but my best summary is below. I can't compare to other schools as I have only been a student here, but this is my interpretation of the pros/cons. (Sorry for the essay)

Pros:
Full medical curriculum - you learn the entire body head to toe, to the same extent that an MD or DO student does.
Our dean - he is a great teacher, and really tries to push students to be the best they can be. Our college has high expectations for us and I think it results in competent doctors.
Clinical Medicine classes - I think we have more patient encounters than any other schools but I am not sure. Something like 50 standardized patient encounters? I'm just throwing that number out there. There is a strong emphasis on humanism and communication with patients which has had a profound impact on my problem-solving skills and the way I approach a clinical problem.
Big University = lots of money for stuff; WesternU has 9 colleges. So there are hundreds of clubs and ways to get involved. I have been part of a community service club that essentially had a budget that approved everything we asked for. Also there are medical teams of students that go on international medical trips every year. There are clubs for different interest groups, religions, culture, hobbies, etc.
Academic support - I was really nervous about the curriculum intensity, especially because podiatry has a lot of students dropping out of programs for various reasons. The LEAD office here has free academic counseling, personal counseling, tutoring, meditation sessions, etc. The academic counseling sessions are so helpful because they help you pinpoint how you can use your preferred study method to be most successful. They have given me a lot of useful advice and helped with my academic struggles.
Nice people - people here generally want to help you. If you don't understand a pathway in neuro, most med students in your class would love to help explain it to you. The staff are really great and will help direct you to random resources or contacts that you may need. Also the academic classes change every year. If students give a professor BAD reviews, there may be some shuffling in the next year so that a particular teacher is not a course director, for example. My impression has been that the academic deans sincerely try to improve the classes every year and they will listen to student input on if something has value or not.
Recorded class lectures - this isn't unique to WesternU but I gotta say it's AMAZINGGGGG to not have to go to class and be able to watch on 2x speed and have control/autonomy over your schedule. So much freedom through this. :soexcited:

Cons:
I agree with the comment about food- the on campus option has limited hours and mediocre food. I have heard that they are planning on building more of a "food court" type setup on campus, but I am not sure when it will be completed. I mostly prepare meals at home or travel 10-15 minutes away to an area with more restaurant options.

An academic con in my opinion relates to the podiatry courses. Since our curriculum is equivalent to a medical school curriculum, podiatry classes are not a big focus for many students. We take podiatry classes throughout the first two years, but they are usually only 3.0-4.5 units each semester. To give some perspective, we had 35.5 total units our first semester, and 42.5 units second semester. From what I have been told by 3rd/4th year students, the podiatry "gap" in our knowledge is filled once we start seeing patients and studying material based on cases we see in hospitals. We also have to study a lot of lower extremity anatomy for APMLE step 1 on our own time. But they do give us some dedicated time to study for this. Let me know if I should clarify further.

Another con that could be something to consider is that the podiatry program is newer than other podiatry schools. We have had excellent board scores/residency placements considering the fact that we are so new, but there are still issues related to administration hiccups. For example, there has been some staff that used to process our grades that changed departments, so at one point over the last year, it took about 8 weeks for us to get our grades after finishing a class. It was annoying at the time, but in the big picture, not a huge deal.

Are there alot of opportunities to do research on campus

This response really varies by each individual but my best summary is below. I can't compare to other schools as I have only been a student here, but this is my interpretation of the pros/cons. (Sorry for the essay)

Pros:
Full medical curriculum - you learn the entire body head to toe, to the same extent that an MD or DO student does.
Our dean - he is a great teacher, and really tries to push students to be the best they can be. Our college has high expectations for us and I think it results in competent doctors.
Clinical Medicine classes - I think we have more patient encounters than any other schools but I am not sure. Something like 50 standardized patient encounters? I'm just throwing that number out there. There is a strong emphasis on humanism and communication with patients which has had a profound impact on my problem-solving skills and the way I approach a clinical problem.
Big University = lots of money for stuff; WesternU has 9 colleges. So there are hundreds of clubs and ways to get involved. I have been part of a community service club that essentially had a budget that approved everything we asked for. Also there are medical teams of students that go on international medical trips every year. There are clubs for different interest groups, religions, culture, hobbies, etc.
Academic support - I was really nervous about the curriculum intensity, especially because podiatry has a lot of students dropping out of programs for various reasons. The LEAD office here has free academic counseling, personal counseling, tutoring, meditation sessions, etc. The academic counseling sessions are so helpful because they help you pinpoint how you can use your preferred study method to be most successful. They have given me a lot of useful advice and helped with my academic struggles.
Nice people - people here generally want to help you. If you don't understand a pathway in neuro, most med students in your class would love to help explain it to you. The staff are really great and will help direct you to random resources or contacts that you may need. Also the academic classes change every year. If students give a professor BAD reviews, there may be some shuffling in the next year so that a particular teacher is not a course director, for example. My impression has been that the academic deans sincerely try to improve the classes every year and they will listen to student input on if something has value or not.
Recorded class lectures - this isn't unique to WesternU but I gotta say it's AMAZINGGGGG to not have to go to class and be able to watch on 2x speed and have control/autonomy over your schedule. So much freedom through this. :soexcited:

Cons:
I agree with the comment about food- the on campus option has limited hours and mediocre food. I have heard that they are planning on building more of a "food court" type setup on campus, but I am not sure when it will be completed. I mostly prepare meals at home or travel 10-15 minutes away to an area with more restaurant options.

An academic con in my opinion relates to the podiatry courses. Since our curriculum is equivalent to a medical school curriculum, podiatry classes are not a big focus for many students. We take podiatry classes throughout the first two years, but they are usually only 3.0-4.5 units each semester. To give some perspective, we had 35.5 total units our first semester, and 42.5 units second semester. From what I have been told by 3rd/4th year students, the podiatry "gap" in our knowledge is filled once we start seeing patients and studying material based on cases we see in hospitals. We also have to study a lot of lower extremity anatomy for APMLE step 1 on our own time. But they do give us some dedicated time to study for this. Let me know if I should clarify further.

Another con that could be something to consider is that the podiatry program is newer than other podiatry schools. We have had excellent board scores/residency placements considering the fact that we are so new, but there are still issues related to administration hiccups. For example, there has been some staff that used to process our grades that changed departments, so at one point over the last year, it took about 8 weeks for us to get our grades after finishing a class. It was annoying at the time, but in the big picture, not a huge deal.
You forgot con: ridiculous cost of living in Pomona haha

Can't be worse than Oakland/San Fran honestly.

I visited both and liked the Western campus a bit better simply due to the fact that it wasn't in the middle of the city.

Personal preference but rent in Cali in general will cost you your first born.

Out of all the schools that I interviewed at, Western has the best campus. In a way it gave me that small college vibe when I visited.

Are there alot of opportunities to do research on campus

Yep! They even have a summer research program open to multiple students where the school gives you a stipend if you work with faculty doing research. You can also do research during the year if you want. A lot of students will get a publication added to their CV by writing a research article for a WesternU journal that is organized and edited by podiatry students.

Members don't see this ad :)

While I do agree, there are certainly ways to circumvent this! Many students live in homes or apartments adjacent to the college for prices ranging from 500$-1000$ dollars. However the convenience of living on campus does tend to be expensive.

Last edited:
So can one of the WesternU students/faculty explain the following, stated under Admissions-FAQs:

FAQs - Doctor of Podiatric Medicine (DPM)

Question 6: Is residency training required?
"The state of California requires a minimum of two years post-graduate residency training for licensure in addition to passing Part III of the NBPME. As of July 1, 2008, the BPM will accept either the COMLEX or USMLE as equivalent licensing exams to the NBPME"

So does that mean, in Cali, you can practice as a DPM with just 2 years of residency training vs the 3-years elsewhere?
Has anyone, ever, taken the COMLEX/USMLE in lieu of the NBPME? I do not see the point of this because they both are licensing exams for two different fields, if not three, so why would a Pod take an exam that's for the MD/DO students?

Thanks!

So can one of the WesternU students/faculty explain the following, stated under Admissions-FAQs:

FAQs - Doctor of Podiatric Medicine (DPM)

Question 6: Is residency training required?
"The state of California requires a minimum of two years post-graduate residency training for licensure in addition to passing Part III of the NBPME. As of July 1, 2008, the BPM will accept either the COMLEX or USMLE as equivalent licensing exams to the NBPME"

So does that mean, in Cali, you can practice as a DPM with just 2 years of residency training vs the 3-years elsewhere?
Has anyone, ever, taken the COMLEX/USMLE in lieu of the NBPME? I do not see the point of this because they both are licensing exams for two different fields, if not three, so why would a Pod take an exam that's for the MD/DO students?

Thanks!

Great question - I actually brought this up to the administration because I also feel it is confusing. Technically the law states that if you have already completed your podiatry schooling, and you happened to have completed a 2 year residency (this would have been years ago), you can practice in CA. There are no longer 2 year residencies in existence so it doesn't apply to anyone who is currently a resident/student/prospective student. At least, that is how it was explained to me. I hope this answers your question!

Also - to my knowledge, you can not take COMLEX or USMLE as a podiatry student. The students in the 2020 class are taking a UCMLE step 1 exam next year to "prove our parity" with medical students but it is not an official exam (ours is the APMLE step 1). Podiatry is a unique field where you specialize from the beginning and can't change your mind to a different specialty after being in school for awhile (whereas med students can consider ER/family med/OBGYN/etc and they don't know where they end up until match day). I am not really sure of any situation where a podiatry student has taken COMLEX/USMLE instead of NBPME, but if you still have questions please let me know! I can follow up with admin for further clarification.

Great question - I actually brought this up to the administration because I also feel it is confusing. Technically the law states that if you have already completed your podiatry schooling, and you happened to have completed a 2 year residency (this would have been years ago), you can practice in CA. There are no longer 2 year residencies in existence so it doesn't apply to anyone who is currently a resident/student/prospective student. At least, that is how it was explained to me. I hope this answers your question!

Also - to my knowledge, you can not take COMLEX or USMLE as a podiatry student. The students in the 2020 class are taking a UCMLE step 1 exam next year to "prove our parity" with medical students but it is not an official exam (ours is the APMLE step 1). Podiatry is a unique field where you specialize from the beginning and can't change your mind to a different specialty after being in school for awhile (whereas med students can consider ER/family med/OBGYN/etc and they don't know where they end up until match day). I am not really sure of any situation where a podiatry student has taken COMLEX/USMLE instead of NBPME, but if you still have questions please let me know! I can follow up with admin for further clarification.

Thanks for replying back.

I guess the FAQ needs to be updated then..lol

To follow up, the class of 2020 will be taking the USMLE? I'm guessing its STEP 1? Are they also taking the APMLE Part 1? And, since the USMLE exam is to see how they will do when compared to the DO students (since the curriculum is more or less the same for the first two years), and will it go on their record?

This is very Exciting..lol

Thanks!

Last edited:
Is that really the only reason?

It has to do with the political work that the California Podiatric Medical Association is doing to get us paid equally. At this point, MDs/DOs are paid more than DPMs for the same services in the VA hospital system. So as a result, the VA has a hard time retaining and recruiting podiatrists to work there.

Thanks for replying back.

I guess the FAQ needs to be updated then..lol

To follow up, the class of 2020 will be taking the USMLE? I'm guessing its STEP 1? Are they also taking the APMLE Part 1? And, since the USMLE exam is to see how they will do when compared to the DO students (since the curriculum is more or less the same for the first two years), and will it go on their record?

This is very Exciting..lol

Thanks!

That is the updated information as far as I am aware. The students are all definitely taking APMLE step 1, which is what counts for residency programs. And that won't change in the near future.

The USMLE step 1 results (from what I have been told) are not going to play any part in their residency placement or anything that could impact an individual's future. It is more to assess the podiatry training as a whole, since we are taking the same classes as the medical students. If we had time to prepare for USMLE, the goal is for us pods to be able to pass USMLE, which proves that we have the same foundational medical knowledge of other medical specialties. So in a way, this step is proving that podiatry is as much of a specialty field as an MD who specializes in urology or ophthalmology.

I'm sure if you took the USMLE as a pod student, you could bring it up as a conversation piece, but you will be assessed in clinical rotations on your podiatry knowledge (aka, what you are tested via APMLE). The specific details that you learned by taking USMLE step 1 is just a bonus :)

They're taking the Comprehensive Basic Science Examination, not the USMLE. Though it will still be scored by the NBME and they'll be able to compare the results to scores by MD students to gauge how we might score on the USMLE. Then they'll consider opening the USMLE up to us.

CSPM is going to take it this Summer. Western is going to have their students take it next Summer.

This is all in addition to the APMLE, which all current podiatry students will still have to sit for.

Last edited:
They're taking the Comprehensive Basic Science Examination, not the USMLE. Though it will still be scored by the NBME and they'll be able to compare the results to scores by MD students to gauge how we might score on the USMLE. Then they'll consider opening the USMLE up to us.

CSPM is going to take it this Summer. Western is going to have their students take it next Summer.

This is all in addition to the APMLE, which all current podiatry students will still have to sit for.

Thank you for the correction! I was going with the up-to-date info I had

I can't imagine students being eager to take the CBME while boards are on their mind.

Thank you for the correction! I was going with the up-to-date info I had
I just so happen to be super up to date because two members of the joint task force spoke to us today. I had posted a comment last night and updated it today after the meeting.

Just wanted to make sure the prepods had the correct info, but either way it's a big deal.

And good luck on it, y'all are gonna be representing all of us. No pressure.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using SDN mobile

I can't imagine students being eager to take the CBME while boards are on their mind.
That point has been made. That even if pods students can do well whatever MD exam, it won't affect them in the short term and so they may put it on the backburner and end up just making us look bad.

BUT...In the eyes of the MDs and DOs, it's one of the very last obstacles we have to overcome for them to put their support behind us as fully equal to them (in regards to pay, priviledges, relative scope, etc.).

I think though that pretty much every student can give it their all if they're fully educated on the purpose of it. If they do well on that exam then within their careers they could see pay increases, more job opportunities, no scope of practice hassle, and more benefits that would all be worth many times more than some extra study time and taking an exam.

While these students will not be taking the USMLE Step 1, the CBSE is no less difficult. Usually, people study for this exam as they would for the actual Step, and even though the CBSE is like half in length (when compared to step 1), the difficulty level is more or less the same. I just hope those who will be taking it as a Pod student use the same resources (prep courses, first aid, Usmle World Qbank, pathoma, etc) as their DO counterparts when preparing of the CBSE. The said preparation should help with the APMLE part 1 as well.

The results can go either way, but I feel like it's an essential step for the future of Podiatry.

Would you know if your school or NYCPM will be taking the CBSE as well in the future?

I just hope those will be taking it as a Pod student use the same resources (prep courses, first aid, Usmle World Qbank, pathoma, etc) as their DO counterparts when preparing of the CBSE.

The results can go either way, but I feel like it's an essential step for the future of Podiatry.

Those are all the resources I'm using to study for APMLE step 1, with the exception of BoardVitals instead of UWorld ;)
A big difference between APMLE / USMLE is the way the questions are asked though. I'm sure others have thoughts on this in other threads too. USMLE-style questions are very intense

Those are all the resources I'm using to study for APMLE step 1, with the exception of BoardVitals instead of UWorld ;)
A big difference between APMLE / USMLE is the way the questions are asked though. I'm sure others have thoughts on this in other threads too. USMLE-style questions are very intense

Do you have a break in between the exams? Like will you be taking APMLE first then a few weeks later the CBSE, or CBSE first then a few weeks later the APMLE? If you do then consider going over the Uworld questions for the CBSE, that's the single most important resource for Step1. Good luck :thumbup:

Do you have a break in between the exams? Like will you be taking APMLE first then a few weeks later the CBSE, or CBSE first then a few weeks later the APMLE? If you do then consider going over the Uworld questions for the CBSE, that's the single most important resource for Step1. Good luck :thumbup:

I won't be taking the CBSE exam, I am a 2nd year student, so I am just prepping for APMLE now (will take in July). But next year the class of 2020 will take both. My understanding is that they will take CBSE first because the thought was that making them prepare for that exam (which doesn't directly impact their future or grades) would help them prepare for the APMLE exam. I was told there would be a break between exams (maybe several weeks or a couple months?), but am not sure if this has changed. Maybe Bobtheweasel knows :bookworm:

Reactions: 2 users
Would you know if your school or NYCPM will be taking the CBSE as well in the future?
As far as I know this is just limited to the California schools for the time being. But I have a feeling that the task force is reaching out to the students at the other schools to plant the seeds in our minds so that maybe we'll tell our administration we wanna take the exam too or at least slowly get the ball rolling.

Apparently in the past all of the podiatry schools had been approved to take the actual USMLE (two seperate times) but backed out at the last minute. That's why they're not straight up offering the USMLE to us this time around. But in light of the fact that they have made this offer to all podiatry schools in the past, I don't think it would take too much extra effort to get some of the other schools into the mix within a relatively short timeframe if the students demanded it.

I doubt that exact dates are set in stone at this point but there's gonna be a lot of pressure on the schools to get good results so I'm sure they'll do what they have to to accommodate the exam.

I believe we were told July for one of the schools which means probably only a short break. But again, I'm not aware of a specific date. Western's is still a year out so anything could change there. Y'all could find a CSPM student around here if you want better info, they'll most likely be taking it in the next 2 or 3 months (sometime this year) so they probably have a better idea of specifics.

Pros:

Cons:

curious why students are dropping out? WHat are common reasons?

curious why students are dropping out? WHat are common reasons?

I'm sure their reasons are more complex than I am able to surmise; but, the time commitment in podiatric medical school is quite significant. WesternU's site states a minimum requirement of 75 hours per week, which I believe is an accurate assessment. If podiatry was not your number one choice, or your interests lie elsewhere, I can imagine the time commitment to be all the more difficult. While academic rigor may be a contributing factor, we have had students leave both towards the bottom and the top of the class.

I'm sure their reasons are more complex than I am able to surmise; but, the time commitment in podiatric medical school is quite significant. WesternU's site states a minimum requirement of 75 hours per week, which I believe is an accurate assessment. If podiatry was not your number one choice, or your interests lie elsewhere, I can imagine the time commitment to be all the more difficult. While academic rigor may be a contributing factor, we have had students leave both towards the bottom and the top of the class.
How bad is the drop out rate percentage wise? I am assuming its no different than many other programs.
Isn't the curriculum fairly similar with DO students? Financially the incentive to be a podiatrist is there right? Jobs are plentiful and income is fairly high? I don't see why they would drop out from a clear path to financial success.

Income and job security is part of the equation, but not all.
Our DO peers are not immune from attrition either.

Last edited:
Income and job security is part of the equation, but not all.
Our DO peers are not immune to attrition either.

Are you implying that the income and job security for podiatrist not that good?

How bad is the drop out rate percentage wise? I don't see why they would drop out from a clear path to financial success.
Money alone will not get you through podiatry school.

And if it is, there are quicker shorter ways to get it instead of torturing yourself.

yes please define "good." what type of income can you expect?
The job search thread: tips, tricks, and experiences
My comments regarding DPM income
Private practice salary offer...is it fair?
How do podiatrists do in California? Is the market really saturated specifically in the socal area?
Hospital offer, Should I take it or not?

Perhaps you should also consider taking the MCAT and seeing whether your best interests lie with Dental, DPT, or DPM before you commit.

I highly suggest you take a thorough read through the other threads before getting testy.

I'll be even kind enough to link them for you.

How was I being testy? I was simply asking a question lmao

How was I being testy? I was simply asking a question lmao

You're in that stage where you are picking different professions based on income alone.

The next stage will be shadowing and coming to terms with your chosen profession.

Hopefully during that stage you will realize there is no get rich quick health career that does not require time, effort, and sacrifices.

You're in that stage where you are picking different professions based on income alone.

The next stage will be shadowing and coming to terms with your chosen profession.

Hopefully during that stage you will realize there is no get rich quick health career that does not require time, effort, and sacrifices.

lol someone said define good? I said yes can you define it? just a simple question then you take it 0-100 real quick lol.

lol someone said define good? I said yes can you define it? just a simple question then you take it 0-100 real quick lol.

If you had gone through the other threads regarding the Pod salary, you would know that it all varies. So a "good" salary in Podiatry can mean making 60K after residency or above 200K. It all depends on what a good salary is to you. Some people are happy with that 60K because of the incentives, they want to make money right away, or do not want to relocate. But, the consensus here is that no one should be accepting such low salaries, and I agree.

Unlike other health professions, where you can expect to make a certain set salary (after residency), is just not true in Podiatry. I'm not saying that if Emergency Medicine docs are supposed to make 300K right after residency, then all new grads are making 300K...but it is certainly close to that number across the US. We just can't assume the same for Podiatry. As far as what I see on these forums, webinars, and talking to DPMs while shadowing and such, yeah you need all the qualifications and board certifications to practice as a Pod in a specific state, but you, as a person, also have to do a lot of legwork, you would have to sell your abilities to hospitals, group practices, etc, for a good position.

Hopefully, this helped!