Student Conduct Situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sdncbs

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I really need some advice on how to handle this situation I put myself in. Any help or suggestions would be greatly welcomed because I really don't know what to do.

This is the background. I have been accepted into dental school starting fall 2014. At the time of my application, I had only one violation during undergrad for downloading music on campus internet which I ceased upon threat of losing internet privileges. I explained this in my application and it was never mentioned in any interview. I got accepted to dental school in early November.

Some time after my acceptance, I got blackout drunk (literally 12 hour window with no recollection) one night and was hospitalized. My last memory of the night before was being in a bar, the next was waking up in the hospital. I was released that morning. About a week later, I received an email concerning a student conduct violation on campus. At the meeting, I learned that I had made my way on to campus to residential housing and proceeded to cause a scene (knocking on doors, being loud, etc). At one point I became non-responsive and the RA called for an ambulance. The RA came in the ambulance to try to help figure out who I was and determine who should be contacted. I had to be strapped down because I was trying to get out of the ambulance and hospital bed once we arrived. At the hospital, the RA was still talking to me and trying to get my information at which point I threatened her (again, I don't remember any of this). The hospital staff asked if she wanted to press criminal charges, which she declined. She left immediately after that and I was sedated. I woke the next morning, clueless as to how I ended up at the hospital. The staff gave some information but I was still groggy.

After hearing about my behavior at the meeting a week later, I was shocked, remorseful and disgusted that I could be this person. Nothing like this has ever happened to me before. I sent the girl an apology letter through the student conduct officer. I have received counseling on the matter, which was determined to be an isolated incident brought on by unregulated alcohol abuse (drinking alone and celebratory). However, my counselor nor I feel like I have alcohol abuse tendencies (neither of my parents drink and its usually social for myself).

Anyway, I was charged with "Disorderly, disruptive, or antagonizing behavior that interferes with the general comfort, safety, security, health, or welfare of the residence hall community, and/or the regular operation of the University." It is unlikely the school will review my conduct record again considering I have already been accepted. However, I feel like I should make the school aware of the situation and that I am taking responsibility for my actions, but also I don't want to be kicked out of the program for something that is not truly representative of who I am. So, should I mention this occurrence to the school as a precautionary measure or not?

Members don't see this ad.

Bring it up if asked. At no point do you need to go into the detail you just provided for us. Sounds like the situation boils down to a noise/disturbance violation in terms of actual rules broken...which is a very forgiveable offense.

If, however, you write them a letter now...they're going to pull your app info back up (bc they don't remember you)...they're going to see this isn't your first violation...and honestly they may decide to just not deal with you and revoke the acceptance (I'm sure they have a waiting list)

And there are going to be MANY opportunities for you to get drunk in dental school...I suggest you approach all of those with caution given this as a possible outcome

Good luck!

Yeah don't say anything unless asked. You shouldn't go into this kind of detail about the event other than in person with your friends and family. When an institution/university does a background check all they see is the very general information. Just move on and learn from your mistakes

Members don't see this ad :)
btw, most people applying to professional schools have some type of MIP/MIC, misdemeanor, public disturbance, PI, whatever. We as people are just too stupid at certain high/low points in our life to not make mistakes.

Sorry to hear about this situation. It is very common for this to happen in college, so don't beat yourself up.

I agree with most of what the others have already stated about keeping quiet. However, there is one wrinkle to the situation. Usually, I believe you are required to send your final transcripts from college. Sometimes colleges will include your disciplinary record with your transcripts.

If I were you, I would find the Dean that is in charge of disciplinary actions (called the "Dean of Conduct" where I went to school). Obviously emphasize to the Dean that this event was totally isolated, and you do not have a history of raucous behavior. Also emphasize that you have discontinued downloading music illegally. I assume you have a good academic record, since you got into dental school. I would then ask if this disciplinary information is going to be sent with your transcript. If he states that it will, try to convince him that if your record is clean during your final semester of school, then perhaps he could reconsider sending it.

At this point you will know if the dental school will find out about it or not. Hopefully they will not find out. If they will find out, I would consider contacting the Dean of the Students at the dental school.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for all of the suggestions and encouragement. I just keep imagining everything I have been working toward being thrown out the window and it makes me ill. Anyway, I had asked the conduct officer if that information was included with my transcript and it is a separate file that wouldn't be accessed unless an inquiry was made by the dental school (which probably wouldn't happen considering the application process is over). With that in mind, I am hoping to just move forward and focus on studying for the next four years. Thank you again for your time.

Thanks for all of the suggestions and encouragement. I just keep imagining everything I have been working toward being thrown out the window and it makes me ill. Anyway, I had asked the conduct officer if that information was included with my transcript and it is a separate file that wouldn't be accessed unless an inquiry was made by the dental school (which probably wouldn't happen considering the application process is over). With that in mind, I am hoping to just move forward and focus on studying for the next four years. Thank you again for your time.

Sorry to be a downer but many schools if they accept you will ask your school for any prior student conduct records. So with that in mind, if the school that accepted you eventually asks for this type of request, definitely be up front with them before they catch it without you telling them.

My friend had a similar situation in undergrad, hospitalized etc. (back in the time of the original 4 locos), he is now a 2nd year in ds. Good Luck

"The dentist should be temperate in all things, keeping both mind and body in the best possible health, that his patients may have the benefit of that clearness of judgment and skill which is their right."

"A member of the dental profession is bound to maintain its honor, and to labor earnestly to extend its sphere of usefulness."

--Excerpts from the original American Dental Association Code of Ethics, 1866.

They phrased things so differently back in Victorian times. They also made a heck of a lot of sense. I particularly like the part about extending the sphere of dentistry's usefulness. It implies doing well for ourselves by doing more for our patients. That word "earnestly" reminds us to always put our patients first.

So, going forward, keep this old excerpt in mind. It applies to many things, not just an isolated episode of heavy drinking. Heck, I'm increasing my exercise level because I was very busy this fall with my practice and with aging-parent issues. My usual exercise level fell off and I can feel it when I work my way through a busy week. At some point, if I had let that continue, I'd start making clinical mistakes just on account of being tired. It already got to the point where I made administrative mistakes for that reason.

We will all let isolated incidents of self-damaging behavior happen from time to time. (Do not ask me how that "This Elevator For Faculty Use Only" sign came to be hanging in my basement.) In the long view, though, we take on a great deal of responsibility when we become dentists and we owe it to our patients to learn from our mistakes when we make them.

btw, most people applying to professional schools have some type of MIP/MIC, misdemeanor, public disturbance, PI, whatever. We as people are just too stupid at certain high/low points in our life to not make mistakes.

Not everyone. Some people do have decency and common sense to not do what the op did. What if he got violent (which he sort of did) and hurt/killed someone. Doesn't sound like an emotionally stable person to me.

Mistakes, certainly. But do you really think this is the case? I'd expect a whole lot of folks to have speeding tickets, maybe, but that isn't a criminal act.

OP, I would disclose. Be VERY, very humble. I would e-mail the school about it instead of calling--that way, you can CAREFULLY put together what you are sending. I would have someone (or preferably multiple people) read over what you are planning to send. Let the school know that you are ashamed of your actions, they are entirely out of character, and that they will not be repeated.

If you don't disclose, this could potentially REALLY come back to bite you.

I genuinely appreciate all the encouragement and advice. I have contacted my pre-health advisor to see the best way to approach notifying the school. Hopefully, the dental school will respond with forgiveness and see it as a single misstep in my character. Thank you all for your help.

NO NO NO! You need to report all violations regardless if it appears on your transcript or not! Not mentioning it will breach the Code of Conduct for applicants which could put you out!! ie AADSAS Applicant Code of Conduct. You need to be honest in everything as honesty is a HUGE part of the Ethics of being a good clinician. Remember "the Truth will set you free" Please refer to their Code of Conduct

NO NO NO! You need to report all violations regardless if it appears on your transcript or not! Not mentioning it will breach the Code of Conduct for applicants which could put you out!! ie AADSAS Applicant Code of Conduct. You need to be honest in everything as honesty is a HUGE part of the Ethics of being a good clinician. Remember "the Truth will set you free" Please refer to their Code of Conduct
Given that this was three years ago, I wouldn't consider this particularly timely advice for OP.

Reactions: 1 user

You remind me of my dorm room RAs.

Reactions: 1 user
Given that this was three years ago, I wouldn't consider this particularly timely advice for OP.
Reason why is because I am in the exact same situation. I did something really stupid and now I have to report it to the dental school regardless. Somehow they find out then I never told them about it would put me in the hot seat for breaking the Code of Conduct for AADSAS and that is disaster. I am sure that you write them a reflection letter and mention how remorseful you are and what you learned then they will forgive. Why did I come here is that I am in this situation and I wish to leave my mark for future people to know should they read this forum

Reason why is because I am in the exact same situation. I did something really stupid and now I have to report it to the dental school regardless. Somehow they find out then I never told them about it would put me in the hot seat for breaking the Code of Conduct for AADSAS and that is disaster. I am sure that you write them a reflection letter and mention how remorseful you are and what you learned then they will forgive. Why did I come here is that I am in this situation and I wish to leave my mark for future people to know should they read this forum
How noble of you, brah.