Strong residencies that doesnt care for brand

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sschance

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I come from a low tier school, and I was wondering which top tier programs do not care for the branding my med school too much? I know MGH, duke, etc care a lot of the branding, and won't really consider applicants from a no-name school until they are absolutely stellar.

Thank you for your inputs!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,

I come from a low tier school, and I was wondering which top tier programs do not care for the branding my med school too much? I know MGH, duke, etc care a lot of the branding, and won't really consider applicants from a no-name school until they are absolutely stellar.

Even the next level of great residency program below the Harvards and dukes etc will still really only look at the better applicants. An average applicant from a non top 50 school does fine in IM but definitely not great. It's super competitive at the top of IM and this trickles down to even just "good" programs in desired locations (la,NYC, Boston for example)

Hey all,

Depending on how you define "top tier"...

WashU comes immediately to mind. Mayo would be another one. Michigan and Yale maybe. Generally places that are in smaller/less affluent areas will be less competitive. You still probably need to be 240+ and/or AOA to get an interview at them though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Even the next level of great residency program below the Harvards and dukes etc will still really only look at the better applicants. An average applicant from a non top 50 school does fine in IM but definitely not great. It's super competitive at the top of IM and this trickles down to even just "good" programs in desired locations (la,NYC, Boston for example)

Depending on how you define "top tier"...

WashU comes immediately to mind. Mayo would be another one. Michigan and Yale maybe. Generally places that are in smaller/less affluent areas will be less competitive. You still probably need to be 240+ and/or AOA to get an interview at them though.

Thanks ya'll! What about UTSW or Beth Isreal Deaconess? My step 1 is 249 with good research and other ECs. I am just wondering which schools I have realistic shot at when I compile my list.

Thanks ya'll! What about UTSW or Beth Isreal Deaconess? My step 1 is 249 with good research and other ECs. I am just wondering which schools I have realistic shot at when I compile my list.

No guarantees but you have a decent shot at those places and it's certainly worth the application fee.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.