Stroke neurology private practice opportunities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NeuroKlitch

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an MS3 student who is very interested in either specializing psychiatry or neurology. If I am to go down the neurology I am thinking of doing a vascular neurology fellowship (and possibly an NIR fellowship) . Just wanted to ask if there are any employment opportunities in private practice or will I be bound to hospital work my entire career if I choose to only do a stroke fellowship and not continue to NIR.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

The entire reason to do a vascular fellowship is to be involved in acute stroke care which makes hospital privileges kind of important. Pure outpatient stroke work is unspeakably boring. This doesn't have to be at an academic center though, plenty of private hospitals get certified as stroke centers.

Are you using the term "private practice" as a proxy for outpatient stroke care? Because you can be part of a private practice, have a lot of clinic, read TCDs and CNIs, and still take some stroke call. A lot of senior vascular neurologists phase themselves out of taking lots of stroke call; it's a grind. There's a lot of nuance to outpatient stroke care.