All Branch Topic (ABT) "Stressed list" for the different military medical corps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ThinkingAndLooking

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
After reading through some mil posts on SDN, I've seen a few posts refer to a "stress list," which outlines the personnel needs for that service. Where can I find these lists, and what specific specialties are in high demand in the military? Answers specific for the Air Force would be appreciated, but I am undecided between the services.

Members don't see this ad.

After reading through some mil posts on SDN, I've seen a few posts refer to a "stress list," which outlines the personnel needs for that service. Where can I find these lists, and what specific specialties are in high demand in the military? Answers specific for the Air Force would be appreciated, but I am undecided between the services.
What specialty are you?

What specialty are you?

I am in a post-bacc program in clinical genetics, and I am applying to USUHS this summer. However, I wanted to get a sense of what specialties are in demand before I started making decisions about USUHS vs HPSP

Members don't see this ad :)
I am in a post-bacc program in clinical genetics, and I am applying to USUHS this summer. However, I wanted to get a sense of what specialties are in demand before I started making decisions about USUHS vs HPSP
So you mean 5-6 years from now? What specialties do you lean towards?

genetics is not a hot one-- they don't need that many. it varies year to year but the more competitive residencies tend to reflect the civilian side.

the bigger issue is if you want to subspecialize-- peds/IM/surgical subs are at the whim of the service, and in my experience the AF by far trains the least number of fellows. and as @sb247 sort of allude to above, projecting this is essentially just educated guesses based on trends, but can vary year to year even in primary care specialties.

--your friendly neighborhood crystal ball inquiring caveman

Agree with the above, and would add:

These things change to enough of an extent that trying to plan your moves based upon current needs isn't as helpful as it seems. Not to mention what your personal interests might be when you're making the actually decision. If you end up being very interested in pediatrics, are you going to do OB/GYN just because that's what the AF needs that year?