Strengths/niche of the various toxicology programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DeadCactus

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Was killing some time looking at programs and got to thinking about the question in the title. Would be interesting to collect information on the various niches/strengths of different programs for future applicants.

Ex.
Banner Good Samaritan in Phoenix seems to have a strong reputation for critical care toxicology.

Emory has the CDC connection with a lot of international toxicology work.

Members don't see this ad.

I second the motion. I'm a year away from applying to residency programs, and I would love to hear what people have to say about the strengths of various programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, it was worth a shot. :p

Anyone happen to know any programs with a strong disaster/EMS type bend to the program?
UMass has an EMS disaster fellowship and a strong tox division. A combined fellowship would likely be welcomed.

Now that fellowship programs are semi-onboard with the match (a lot are still offering positions outside the match) it is worth looking at programs around the country. Programs I considered included Phoenix, Oregon, Denver, Emory/CDC, Chicago, New York, UMass, UConn and Philadelphia (Drexel and Einstein). They are all great and all very different styles. Many will allow you to pursue additional degrees during fellowship (MPH, MBA, PhD). You also have the option to pursue a more focused approach like international or disaster medicine. Keep in mind, medical toxicology does not narrow your expertise but EXPANDS it.