STRAP vs FAP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dash2021

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all. Been doing a lot of thinking about joining the military to subsidize residency. As background I'm a non-trad with a wife and kid with another on the way. I put wife through college, she put me through college + medschool. However, wife is a teacher and, while she's been a trooper, has been burnt out teaching for a long time now. Being as we have a kid on the way, she'd like to take at least a year off to spend with the new one. I absolutely support her in this, but the prospects of supporting a family of 4 on 50k a year don't sound particularly appealing.

The money isn't the only reason I'm considering service, dad/grandads all served. But money is a factor especially in some of the higher cost of living areas applying for residency. I'd like some input, especially from members in similar situations with dependents, on these programs. I'll summarize my understanding and thoughts below, correct me where I'm wrong. I'm applying to EM, so will be comparing incomes to ~EM attending salary.

FAP: Straight forward 70k a year x 3= $210,000 net during residency for a 1:1 +1 pay back. Of course, the problem comes with the 4 years of payback and the salary differential between civilian and mil pay. Conservatively an EM attending can make $250/yr vs. (what I can gather from various calculators) the ~$100/yr in the military. So over the 4 years of payback 1mil - (400k +210k)= ~$400k net loss in income.

STRAP: Here I'm a bit fuzzy, as I'm not 100% about if STRAP, HPLR, and Special pay (75k sign on bonus over 3 years) overlap. Knowing what I know, I'm almost certain the sign on won't overlap unless I re-up after my commitment was over. Hoping that HPLR does overlap, but not sure.

Anywho, STRAP ends up 24k X 3= ~$72k for 2:1 payback. Add in HPLR during payback, 40k x 6 = ~240k in loan repayment.

STRAP seems to be the clear winner, offering sig less money during of residency, but loan repayment + being a reservist (instead of regular active duty)+ attending Salary for the 4 years of payback you'd have to do in FAP.

Here are my questions:
1) During residency, as you are a commissioned Lt, do you get family benefits? W/o wife working, all the insurance we'd get would have to come through me and that's going to be ~$1300/mo give or take. So a potential additional income for FAP side of things to the tune of 50k. Not game changing money wise, but health insurance with a newborn is kind of a big deal

2) Are there other calculations I'm missing on FAP that make it financially more viable? I know that part of the pay calculation is tax exempt (housing if I remember), but not sure how many other variables I'm missing in terms of benefits. Trying to round up all the potential bonuses and make a decent estimate is a nightmare.

And maybe most importantly, as I'm not sure there is enough hidden money in FAP to make it financially competitive to STRAP

3) How major is the disruption to your civilian life serving in the guard? As EM I may have the most flexible scheduling of any specialty, but I've heard some horror stories about deployments disrupting civilian jobs to the point of being forced into Locums work throughout service. I'm not sure how much stock I put in those stories, but its not hard to see how an EM group might look unfavorably in having to fill a schedule for 90+ days every couple years. The one advantage FAP seems to have over STRAP is that you don't have to worry with the disruption of being called up during your payback period.

Thanks in advance for the help clarifying this. While I'd like to serve as on officer in reg Airforce/Army, I just see know way of doing so where you don't end up losing your shirt on the back end. I'd love to be corrected if I'm wrong.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all. Been doing a lot of thinking about joining the military to subsidize residency. As background I'm a non-trad with a wife and kid with another on the way. I put wife through college, she put me through college + medschool. However, wife is a teacher and, while she's been a trooper, has been burnt out teaching for a long time now. Being as we have a kid on the way, she'd like to take at least a year off to spend with the new one. I absolutely support her in this, but the prospects of supporting a family of 4 on 50k a year don't sound particularly appealing.

The money isn't the only reason I'm considering service, dad/grandads all served. But money is a factor especially in some of the higher cost of living areas applying for residency. I'd like some input, especially from members in similar situations with dependents, on these programs. I'll summarize my understanding and thoughts below, correct me where I'm wrong. I'm applying to EM, so will be comparing incomes to ~EM attending salary.

FAP: Straight forward 70k a year x 3= $210,000 net during residency for a 1:1 +1 pay back. Of course, the problem comes with the 4 years of payback and the salary differential between civilian and mil pay. Conservatively an EM attending can make $250/yr vs. (what I can gather from various calculators) the ~$100/yr in the military. So over the 4 years of payback 1mil - (400k +210k)= ~$400k net loss in income.

STRAP: Here I'm a bit fuzzy, as I'm not 100% about if STRAP, HPLR, and Special pay (75k sign on bonus over 3 years) overlap. Knowing what I know, I'm almost certain the sign on won't overlap unless I re-up after my commitment was over. Hoping that HPLR does overlap, but not sure.

Anywho, STRAP ends up 24k X 3= ~$72k for 2:1 payback. Add in HPLR during payback, 40k x 6 = ~240k in loan repayment.

STRAP seems to be the clear winner, offering sig less money during of residency, but loan repayment + being a reservist (instead of regular active duty)+ attending Salary for the 4 years of payback you'd have to do in FAP.

Here are my questions:
1) During residency, as you are a commissioned Lt, do you get family benefits? W/o wife working, all the insurance we'd get would have to come through me and that's going to be ~$1300/mo give or take. So a potential additional income for FAP side of things to the tune of 50k. Not game changing money wise, but health insurance with a newborn is kind of a big deal

2) Are there other calculations I'm missing on FAP that make it financially more viable? I know that part of the pay calculation is tax exempt (housing if I remember), but not sure how many other variables I'm missing in terms of benefits. Trying to round up all the potential bonuses and make a decent estimate is a nightmare.

And maybe most importantly, as I'm not sure there is enough hidden money in FAP to make it financially competitive to STRAP

3) How major is the disruption to your civilian life serving in the guard? As EM I may have the most flexible scheduling of any specialty, but I've heard some horror stories about deployments disrupting civilian jobs to the point of being forced into Locums work throughout service. I'm not sure how much stock I put in those stories, but its not hard to see how an EM group might look unfavorably in having to fill a schedule for 90+ days every couple years. The one advantage FAP seems to have over STRAP is that you don't have to worry with the disruption of being called up during your payback period.

Thanks in advance for the help clarifying this. While I'd like to serve as on officer in reg Airforce/Army, I just see know way of doing so where you don't end up losing your shirt on the back end. I'd love to be corrected if I'm wrong.

-you do NOT get family benefits while in FAP. They do expect you to use the monthly stipend for that. You will be in IRR, inactive ready reserves. No Tricare etc.

- it is not 75k a year. It is 45 k annual "grant." This is taxable. It comes down to about 30k after taxes.

- FAP really is a way for physicians with a "needs right now" to be met situation, usually ones with family situations just like yours.

- a desire to serve, such as yours and your family hx in military is crucial. Your wife has to be completely on board with the military life of moving etc. if it is purely financial only, then there is moonlighting. Usually after intern year you can get a state medical license and moonlight for extra cash to make ends meet.

Here are my questions:

Hi dash2021. FAP this year is case by case. STRAP sounds like a better fit for you. It's a Reserve program essentially less moving around. While in Residency you will be in the APMC with it a component of the Reserves. Call your local AMEDD recruiting office let them know you are considering these programs abs would like to speak with two Physicians one from each program that is now serving.
Hope that helps and good luck with your family and your Residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
It does not. After you have finished paying off your STRAP commitment, you can begin taking HPLRP ($40K/year x6 years) OR Special Pay ($25K/year x3 years). You may not take either while paying back STRAP years and you may not take both together at the same time.

I'm currently doing STRAP/HPLR and feel like it's the best deal.
I get a stipend which works out to about 2k monthly after taxes and do paperwork as my drill equivalent. That's about 375 after taxes every month. Each good year during residency qualifies for 40k in HPLR (which they also tax prior to applying it to loans). You effectively increase your pretax income by 76k (30k stipend, 6k from 1380 pay, and 40k HPLR). You still owe the year per six months of STRAP, but reserves is a hell of an easier sell to the wife than active duty is.
I'm in Rads, so pay discrepancy was a pretty big determining factor.
Feel free to PM me if you want some more details.