Stop payment on a deposit check

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Put the lawyer talk out of here. The school has yet to cash my check and is being warned what happened. I made it clear that if it is going to be a big deal I will just send them the money again and let it be. It's really an issue between me and the admissions coordinator.
Then why did you create a thread on SDN? Did you mistake his/her e-mail address for SDN? :laugh:

"Hey, who are you guys and why are you responding to my private conversation between me and the admissions coordinator?!"

Members don't see this ad.

Then why did you create a thread on SDN? Did you mistake his/her e-mail address for SDN? :laugh:

"Hey, who are you guys and why are you responding to my private conversation between me and the admissions coordinator?!"

No no, I was responding to those that think this is going to turn into a big legal fight and not to those responding on this thread as a whole.

No no, I was responding to those that think this is going to turn into a big legal fight and not to those responding on this thread as a whole.

If you don't want to hear responses like that, then don't post stuff like this in a public forum. It's obvious that you wanted reassurance from the beginning. Your "what I really meant" posts aren't fooling anyone.

Members don't see this ad :)

Your little situation certainly has the potential for a small claims court hearing, so the talk was not unjustified...

Last edited:
Oye goyem - I think all of you who think this is "unethical/ unjustified/ not moral / a sin" are totally blowing this out of proportion and taking this too seriously.

Any school that requires a 2k deposit is just out to lunch, that's ridiculous. $500? Sure, why not? But 2k? Criminey.

There's no doubt that $2000 is a lot of money to hold a seat. They are probably doing this so that things are easier on their staff, i.e. they do not have to go so deep into their alternate list, so therefore, it is less work on their part.

No one forced anyone to pay the $2000. Didn't everyone have to take an economics class? Its supply and demand. If they are charging that much, and they were having a hard time putting a class together, then they would lower it. Obviously, they are not experiencing difficulties with their class size.

Another point to make here is that the size of the deposit was known before applying. Why apply if you don't want to shell out the dough on the back end? There are too many schools out there to waste an application fee on the school if you deem the deposit too high.

You can through the dollar amount out the door. That isn't the issue at hand. Even if the deposit in this particular case was $500, you will still get the same response from every one. An acceptance deposit was sent in and agreed by signature to be forfeited if you no longer wish to attend school at this particular school.

Also, if you don't see anything wrong with placing a stop payment on funds that were signed away by contract, then what else do you guys feel is acceptable when obligated by a signed legal agreement?

It's like hiring a photographer for your wedding and paying a non-refundable deposit, then you happen to find a new photographer a month later that you like better and then you complain about having paid a deposit. Then you try to get your money back.

Same situation everyone, just some of you are too stupid to realize it. Hope they don't remember your name if you ever try to apply for a residency there. "Hey, he's the a-hole that stopped payment on a check and caused us to get hit with a bank fee. :::toss:::"

Good points to cdhoward and bluesickle, and to whoever came up with that stock market example.

People do change their minds, and to do so is not unethical. You can tell a school you're going there, and then not go at the last second. If there's a valid reason that you waited awhile, that is not unethical. Schools have waiting lists, and having you sign a document with a non-refundable deposit is how they protect themselves in case they can't fill your seat.

I do think some of the deposits are very high, but obviously, people still pay them. If you really think a school's deposit is too high, don't pay it and hope you get in somewhere else. If enough people did that, the schools would reduce the deposits.

What is unethical is stopping a payment on a check without a valid, legal reason to do so. The school could have deposited the check right before you stopped payment on it. This means all sorts of fees and headaches on their part. The ethical thing to do is tell the school that you no longer wish to attend their school, ask them if they've deposited the check, and then if not, tell them you will be stopping payment on the check.

Also, if you just mailed the deposit to the school, then get home and find out you've been accepted to your first choice, I don't think there's anything unethical about stopping payment, if you immediately notify the school (preferably in writing) that you changed your mind and tell them not to cash the check.

In the end it's all about communication. In farscapegirl's situation about finding out the next day, definitely inquire with the school at least (what have you got to lose?) just be prepared to eat the $2k as the school is well within its right to say "no" to your request. Just don't go nuclear and give the school a surprise at the bank.

It's like hiring a photographer for your wedding and paying a non-refundable deposit, then you happen to find a new photographer a month later that you like better and then you complain about having paid a deposit. Then you try to get your money back.

Same situation everyone, just some of you are too stupid to realize it. Hope they don't remember your name if you ever try to apply for a residency there. "Hey, he's the a-hole that stopped payment on a check and caused us to get hit with a bank fee. :::toss:::"

Good points to cdhoward and bluesickle, and to whoever came up with that stock market example.

I don't think you can compare stopping a check on a acceptance deposit to the photographer example you gave. If you happen to stop a check before the school cashes it, I think you are ok. After a school cashes it, you're out of luck.

I doubt a school will have you on the blacklist for stopping an acceptance deposit. There are plenty of other people who will want your position so they have nothing to lose.

I don't think you can compare stopping a check on a acceptance deposit to the photographer example you gave. If you happen to stop a check before the school cashes it, I think you are ok. After a school cashes it, you're out of luck.

I doubt a school will have you on the blacklist for stopping an acceptance deposit. There are plenty of other people who will want your position so they have nothing to lose.

You missed the whole bit about signing a contract.

You also missed the bit about the school possibly having fees when they try to deposit the check that was canceled.

Members don't see this ad :)

School waitlists aren't a guarantee. As time goes on and you get closer to the start of the semester, there's a higher chance those on the waitlist have a) already been accepted to another program, b) can't get it together so close to a start date to begin at a program.

But I agree here...if you can reach the school before they cash a check and they agree and acknowledge (important) then allow you to do it, that's fine...you just agreed to modify a contract mutually. Again, you have no right to bitch/whine if you can't get it back, however.

well, looks like the stop payment was a success. I emailed the admissions coordinator and they understood and the school has not sent me any grief. Hate doing it, but 2000 is a lot. They may have tried to cash my check, but at worst they may have received a small fee for trying to deposit. I am sure it's not the first time the accounting office has had to pay a returned check fee for numerous reasons.

how is that unethical

Because your deposit is designed to hold a seat in the class. Essentially, that is what you are paying for. The school did hold a seat in the class and therefore you got what you paid for. Cancelling the check is like ordering a couch, having it delivered and then not paying for it. Becuase it is non-refundable, you are required to pay it. One school I know actually sued a student for pulling that crap and they got the money.

The previous poster is correct, if this is your level of ethics, you have no business being a member of "the most trusted profession"

damn ... oooold thread got revived

Couldn't have said it any better. If you weren't willing to give up the $2000, you shouldn't have sent in the deposit. Your sending it in was a good faith payment to hold a seat for you, not so that you could change your mind a week later.

I wish schools would demand the deposit be paid with a credit card so that these things couldn't happen...

:laugh: I told South my debit card number when I was accepted there in March 09. However they NEVER charged me. In May I got accepted into Mercer, so I called the bank and told them my debit card got lost and told them to deactivate it and send me a new card. That saved me $1000 right there! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

The OP is smart. Don't waste your money if you don't have to. LOL...

:laugh: I told South my debit card number when I was accepted there in March 09. However they NEVER charged me. In May I got accepted into Mercer, so I called the bank and told them my debit card got lost and told them to deactivate it and send me a new card. That saved me $1000 right there! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

The OP is smart. Don't waste your money if you don't have to. LOL...

I just wanted to remind you all of the applicant code of conduct that you all signed during the application process, which states,
As an applicant to the profession of pharmacy, I pledge to:

• Act with honesty and integrity throughout the admission process when interacting with school admissions officers, admission committees, and PharmCAS staff.
This applies to you even if you have already been admitted and are enrolled in a pharmacy school and you can be dismissed for actions against the applicant code of conduct in previous admissions cycles. The actions that have been described in this thread are dishonest and unprofessional.

The ramification of violating the applicant code of conduct is that you will be prevented from entering the pharmacy profession. This is very serious and means that you will need to choose a new career path because pharmacy will not be an option for you.

Stopping payment on a check, canceling a credit card, or canceling a credit card payment to get out of paying your deposit are all actions that violate the code of conduct. If you choose to pay a deposit at multiple institutions that you have been accepted to, then you will lose the money from those that you do not attend. If you choose any of the actions listed above you can be reported as violating the applicant code of conduct, by the school you do not end up attending, and that can affect your acceptance at the school you plan to attend.

Please think about the ramifications of your actions prior to trying to "game the system." What kind of pharmacist do you want to be? One who is part of the most trusted profession, or one who "games the system" and ends up losing your pharmacist license?

What kind of pharmacist do you want to be? One who is part of the most trusted profession, or one who "games the system" and ends up losing your pharmacist license?

You think they're going to lose their pharmacy license over that!?

:laugh::rofl::lol:
Good for them for bending pharmacy school over and sticking it up their arse for a change.

Please think about the ramifications of your actions prior to trying to "game the system." What kind of pharmacist do you want to be? One who is part of the most trusted profession, or one who "games the system" and ends up losing your pharmacist license?

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

You think they're going to lose their pharmacy license over that!?

:laugh::rofl::lol:
Good for them for bending pharmacy school over and sticking it up their arse for a change.

Unethical behavior is a slippery slope that eventually leads to actions that have serious consequences. As a pharmacist, I do not want colleagues in my profession who are unethical and identification of those individuals begins in the admissions process with the applicant code of conduct.

Farmacist2011, your lack of professionalism and respect is astounding. I know that many of those on this site feel that they can hide behind the anonymity of the site to make inflammatory remarks and that there will not be any consequences. Anonymous or not, you are inappropriate and not exemplifying the type of behavior expected of a pharmacist.

A 2,000 deposit is completely rediculous.

I would question the ethics of institutions with enormous deposit requirements. Bilking a student of a grand or two if he decides to pursue another program isn't ethical in my opinion. It's just coffer-stuffing.

A 2,000 deposit is completely rediculous.

I agree that very high depost amounts are ridiculous and possibly unethical. However, if someone CHOOSES to pay a NONREFUNDABLE deposit, they have no one to blame but themselves. No one held a gun to their head and forced them to write that check.

It's life. If I put an offer on a house and write a check for earnest money, then decide I like another house better, I'm not going to get my earnest money back in most cases. :shrug:

It is not unethical to charge $2000 in deposit. It is not unethical to charge $10,000 in deposit b/c that money goes TOWARDS your tuition. So if the tuition is $30,000 and you paid $10,000 then you only have to pay $20,000 for tuition. In the end, it all evens out to be the same. If you only pay $50 in deposit then you will have to pay $29,950 in tuition...so it really ends up being the SAME amount of money paid out of your pocket.

What I did was NOT unethical. It was NOT my fault that South University had my debit card number since MARCH and NEVER charged me the deposit!!! It was May when I got into Mercer and they still NEVER charged me for the deposit!!! So I just changed debit cards! :laugh:

If they would have charged me in March like any normal school would, then I would have had to pay my deposit to them.

It is not unethical to charge $2000 in deposit. It is not unethical to charge $10,000 in deposit b/c that money goes TOWARDS your tuition. So if the tuition is $30,000 and you paid $10,000 then you only have to pay $20,000 for tuition. In the end, it all evens out to be the same. If you only pay $50 in deposit then you will have to pay $29,950 in tuition...so it really ends up being the SAME amount of money paid out of your pocket.

What I did was NOT unethical. It was NOT my fault that South University had my debit card number since MARCH and NEVER charged me the deposit!!! It was May when I got into Mercer and they still NEVER charged me for the deposit!!! So I just changed debit cards! :laugh:

If they would have charged me in March like any normal school would, then I would have had to pay my deposit to them.
What's the difference between what you did and just providing a bad credit card number in the first place? The fact that your card number became invalid weeks later? Is ethics time-based?

What's the difference between what you did and just providing a bad credit card number in the first place? The fact that your card number became invalid weeks later? Is ethics time-based?

If I had to guess I would say that South University for some reason just simply FORGOT to charge me my deposit. They had 2 months to charge me the deposit and they never did. They just forgot about it. Most schools charge the deposit or cash the check within 2-4 days of receiving it. I even talked with one of the girls at the interview and she told me they charge her within a few days of recieving her credit card number. The fact that South didn't do it for me must be that they simply just forgot about it. I most likely did NOT have to change my debit card b/c they would not have charged me anyways b/c they forgot about me. I did it just in case I guess...but I really didn't have to.

Giving a bad credit card number means you are intentially trying to cheat the school. I never try to cheat the school. They had 2 months to charge me a deposit and like I say most schools collect their money within 2-4 days. They forgot about me. It's that simple.

If the school forgot to charge your deposit, that's their problem. If you'd left it at that, there would be no ethical issue. When you decided to change your debit card number (and LIED to the bank that you lost your card) to PREVENT the school from charging you, you were unethical. Hint: if telling a lie/untruth/making a false statement is involved with an action, it's probably unethical.

If the school forgot to charge your deposit, that's their problem. If you'd left it at that, there would be no ethical issue. When you decided to change your debit card number (and LIED to the bank that you lost your card) to PREVENT the school from charging you, you were unethical. Hint: if telling a lie/untruth/making a false statement is involved with an action, it's probably unethical.

Isn't there some legal time frame from the time the school receives a check/debit card number and when they charge it? They can't just wait for however long they please, then decide they finally want to, right?

Isn't there some legal time frame from the time the school receives a check/debit card number and when they charge it? They can't just wait for however long they please, then decide they finally want to, right?

I don't know. That would probably be an issue of state law. How long are handwritten checks valid?

BUT... even if there is some sort of "expiration date" or a limit to the timeframe, it's certainly longer than 2 months.

This is when good friends come in handy. Tell them the story and they'll take it upon themselves to "lose" the card for you. Plausible deniability ftw! It's like outsourcing unethical behavior.

I had a friend work for Longs a while back before it was CVS, and he wanted to go back to the same store since he missed his staff (for his community APPE). It magically turned into a CVS so when the question came up "have you ever worked for the company you are requesting?" he said no. Technically he was right since it is a CVS now.

I have no idea why I just typed that, but he was technically right but violated the "spirit" of the question, and he conveniently outsourced any ethical qualms to the acquisition of the company.

This is when good friends come in handy. Tell them the story and they'll take it upon themselves to "lose" the card for you. Plausible deniability ftw! It's like outsourcing unethical behavior.

I had a friend work for Longs a while back before it was CVS, and he wanted to go back to the same store since he missed his staff (for his community APPE). It magically turned into a CVS so when the question came up "have you ever worked for the company you are requesting?" he said no. Technically he was right since it is a CVS now.

I have no idea why I just typed that, but he was technically right but violated the "spirit" of the question, and he conveniently outsourced any ethical qualms to the acquisition of the company.

Unless he actually worked for CVS, he is answering in good faith. The building is not the company even if they are performing the same thing under a different name.

I would use the analogy of Income Tax Avoidance versus Income Tax Evasion.

Both reduce your tax burden. One is illegal, the other is not. The legal steps rely on ethical behavior and can become Evasion if unethical.

Evasion is hiding income to avoid paying taxes on it. (Not reporting cash transactions/ hoarding , moving cash to offshore accounts, etc.).

Avoidance are deductions, charitable contributions, investment losses, etc. Make it illegal through a slip of the pencil, add a zero here, exaggerate your contributions, etc (lying).

Lying :)thumbdown) about losing your debit card to avoid a charge against it is not ethical. Putting a stop on a check to avoid a charge is not ethical.
The schools requiring a cash commitment in advance is ok. Not cashing a check or not charging against an account can really cause an unneccesary financial burden on the student. This is irresponsible behavior by an institution. Some people have a difficult enough time keeping their balances at what they consider an acceptable level. Cash the check and worry about the potential drop out if/when it occurs.
If you are going to change schools after submitting a deposit, then Man-Up (non-gender specific) and call the school to tell them that you have reconsidered and will be withdrawing your acceptance. When you accepted you agreed that the deposit you sent was non-refundable (a portion of the deposit is an administration fee, the balance would be applied to your tuition for the year). At worst, you get nothing back, it was "non-refundable", at best you get the whole deposit returned (Bonus :thumbup:).
I am in the boat that I have sent in a deposit for one school, and I am waiting to see if I am accepted to the "better school / 1st choice". I am prepared to lose the $700 deposit that I sent in for school 2. Do I hope that I get back some of the money? Absolutely. I am not counting on it. I did this in part because the school required a fairly quick commitment. I also did this because it was one of the schools I would like to attend as well as it held a seat for me to start August of this year. I am looking at this deposit as insurance.

If I had to guess I would say that South University for some reason just simply FORGOT to charge me my deposit. They had 2 months to charge me the deposit and they never did. They just forgot about it. Most schools charge the deposit or cash the check within 2-4 days of receiving it. I even talked with one of the girls at the interview and she told me they charge her within a few days of recieving her credit card number. The fact that South didn't do it for me must be that they simply just forgot about it. I most likely did NOT have to change my debit card b/c they would not have charged me anyways b/c they forgot about me. I did it just in case I guess...but I really didn't have to.

Giving a bad credit card number means you are intentially trying to cheat the school. I never try to cheat the school. They had 2 months to charge me a deposit and like I say most schools collect their money within 2-4 days. They forgot about me. It's that simple.

I'm just curious had you attended this school if would you have told them about not being charged, or just let them think you made the deposit in order to receive the deduction from your tuition because it was their mistake?

It's not necessarily the same situation, but it has a vague relation to deposits and whatnot, but I'd like everyone's opinion.

My deposit is due for a school in a week. I have an interview invite to a better school (location, tuition, and reputation). They are both great schools, but considering the latter is my #1 choice, should I put down a deposit for the school I got into just in case I don't get into my #1? The deposit is $800. The difference in tuition will be 60,000 over four years. I'm thinking I'm gonna fork up $800 and hope I lose it... thoughts?

It's life. If I put an offer on a house and write a check for earnest money, then decide I like another house better, I'm not going to get my earnest money back in most cases. :shrug:
Apples and oranges. I don't put down earnest money on at least 6 different houses and then run to SDN and prepare for my home-buying interview and trash other houses. :smuggrin:

It's not necessarily the same situation, but it has a vague relation to deposits and whatnot, but I'd like everyone's opinion.

My deposit is due for a school in a week. I have an interview invite to a better school (location, tuition, and reputation). They are both great schools, but considering the latter is my #1 choice, should I put down a deposit for the school I got into just in case I don't get into my #1? The deposit is $800. The difference in tuition will be 60,000 over four years. I'm thinking I'm gonna fork up $800 and hope I lose it... thoughts?

Ask the school for more time. Maybe they'll extend the deposit deadline by a week or two for you. Or you could pull off that little trick that some of the scammers on here are talking about. :smuggrin:

Ask the school for more time. Maybe they'll extend the deposit deadline by a week or two for you. Or you could pull off that little trick that some of the scammers on here are talking about. :smuggrin:

beat you to it. They said hell no..

See if they will accept Monopoly Money or an IOU in lieu of a deposit! :laugh:

Why not? It's like gambling anyway. Instead of doing something unethical, just turn in applications to your 2nd/3rd/etc choices later if they do rolling admissions. Your chances may be somewhat lower but if you're a strong candidate, you shouldn't worry too much. There are a lot of people that see those other schools as their first choice and by holding onto a spot for a long time just to bail out like that, it's pretty inconsiderate. You think you can just go tying up all these spots at all these different schools without consequence? I am going to go put a deposit down on fifty apartments until I find my number one and then get all my money back after a few months of searching! :rolleyes: c'mon. Have some integrity. Evading payment intentionally is definitely wrong.

I would question the ethics of institutions with enormous deposit requirements. Bilking a student of a grand or two if he decides to pursue another program isn't ethical in my opinion. It's just coffer-stuffing.
Your new avatar is creepy.

If deposit amounts were low it would become a much more common practice to hold spots at multiple institutions. The point of the deposit is to deter you from making a commitment you won't honor. Schools don't have large deposits because they want to make a ton of money. As pointed out above, it just gets applied to tuition due. They have large deposits because they need to make sure the people on their list are people who are really interested in showing up that fall. This protects the school AND all serious applicants to the program. I can't imagine too many people are willing to forfeit a $2000 deposit. You might think it is unnecessarily high, but then you look at the OP, who was willing to fork it out knowing that he might not attend the school. The amount has to be high enough that people aren't just going to walk away from it and leave the school in the dust.

My deposit was $250. Imagine if my school had gotten 29K instead of 108 incoming P1s. That is NOT profitable. Profitable is getting accepted students to enroll. Even if it were $2500 and 290K, that still won't keep a school's doors open if they can't fill their seats. Tuition is the real bread and butter.

If deposit amounts were low it would become a much more common practice to hold spots at multiple institutions. The point of the deposit is to deter you from making a commitment you won't honor. Schools don't have large deposits because they want to make a ton of money. As pointed out above, it just gets applied to tuition due. They have large deposits because they need to make sure the people on their list are people who are really interested in showing up that fall. This protects the school AND all serious applicants to the program. I can't imagine too many people are willing to forfeit a $2000 deposit. You might think it is unnecessarily high, but then you look at the OP, who was willing to fork it out knowing that he might not attend the school. The amount has to be high enough that people aren't just going to walk away from it and leave the school in the dust.

My deposit was $250. Imagine if my school had gotten 29K instead of 108 incoming P1s. That is NOT profitable. Profitable is getting accepted students to enroll. Even if it were $2500 and 290K, that still won't keep a school's doors open if they can't fill their seats. Tuition is the real bread and butter.

Now this is putting me in a guilt trip. Is it common practice for a University to let ppl not accepted on the waitlist know that the seats have been filled, and then to go back on their word and let ppl in off the waitlist if someone who committed by putting a depositing down didn't... well... commit? whew that was long winded.

I don't want someone rejected who could've been accepted if I decided not to attend.

I'm just curious had you attended this school if would you have told them about not being charged, or just let them think you made the deposit in order to receive the deduction from your tuition because it was their mistake?

If I was going to attend that school instead...I would have just left it at that...I would NOT have changed my debit card...I would have just left it alone. The school might eventually charge me or they might not...I would not worry about that if I was attending that school. If they eventually charge me that would be okay b/c I got it deducted off my tuition anyways.

:oops:

If deposit amounts were low it would become a much more common practice to hold spots at multiple institutions. The point of the deposit is to deter you from making a commitment you won't honor. Schools don't have large deposits because they want to make a ton of money. As pointed out above, it just gets applied to tuition due. They have large deposits because they need to make sure the people on their list are people who are really interested in showing up that fall. This protects the school AND all serious applicants to the program.

THIS

The more people pull shenanigans like this, the higher deposits will go. And those people holding multiple acceptances with deposits and then pulling them back are screwing other people who are on wait lists who would be more than happy to take their place.

It's the same reason why each application to a school costs $100+. It's to find out who's actually interested in attending a school versus those who are just using a shotgun approach.

The more people pull shenanigans like this, the higher deposits will go. And those people holding multiple acceptances with deposits and then pulling them back are screwing other people who are on wait lists who would be more than happy to take their place.

It's the same reason why each application to a school costs $100+. It's to find out who's actually interested in attending a school versus those who are just using a shotgun approach.

Nicely stated.

THIS

I only want to comment on the "multiple acceptances w/ deposits and then pulling them back" portion of your statement.

If you deposited to multiple schools only b/c you need more time to figure out which school is for you, then I think that's BS. That's something you should've figured out a long time ago.

If you've deposited as insurance b/c you still have to hear back from your preferred school, sorry folks... that's just being smart.

I only want to comment on the "multiple acceptances w/ deposits and then pulling them back" portion of your statement.

If you deposited to multiple schools only b/c you need more time to figure out which school is for you, then I think that's BS. That's something you should've figured out a long time ago.

If you've deposited as insurance b/c you still have to hear back from your preferred school, sorry folks... that's just being smart.

The term deposit and insurance are different. It might be smart that you put a deposit down while waiting for your preferred school, but the point is pulling back your deposit is a no good in my book.