Stocking liquid oral valium in clinic: tips/regulations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ligament

Interventional Pain Management
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd like to stock some liquid ORAL valium in my clinic for procedural anxiolysis (for the patient, not myself).

I've never stocked controlled substances in my clinics before. Do you guys have any tips and pros/cons to this?

Safe, logs, etc etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Liquid as in PO? IV burns pretty bad from everything that I have heard. I would just rx one 10mg tablet for them to take 30 minutes before the procedure.

don't use IV valium. versed is the standard for iv sedation, quick onset and short duration.

Members don't see this ad :)
Depending on the state, there may be A LOT of bookkeeping and documentation that you have to keep. Are you stocking any meds for IV sedation right now?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Depending on the state, there may be A LOT of bookkeeping and documentation that you have to keep. Are you stocking any meds for IV sedation right now?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Thanks. Not doing IV sedation in office, only in ASC. Would like an oral anxiolysis med in the office, if it is not too burdensome to keep there.

Thanks. Not doing IV sedation in office, only in ASC. Would like an oral anxiolysis med in the office, if it is not too burdensome to keep there.

i used to work with a guy who used a fentanyl lollipop prior to procedures. not surprisingly, patients loved it. sufficed to say, he did a lot of shots......

Man, I would have people chew up diazepam pills, it is so much less work for the same outcome...

You obviously need a locked medication fridge and tamper-evident tape and an ironclad policy for dispensing it. But honestly, the hassle if and when you discover that the valium bottle is missing, or 20ml too low, or it's been replaced by Seven-Up... not worth it.

Reactions: 1 user
Also check with your state's medical board about regulations regarding administering versus dispensing controlled substances. You want it to be explicitly clear that you are doing the former not the latter. We have to keep the fent, buprenorphine, and versed under lock-and-key, keep inventory logs, etc.

Forget it. Too much hassle

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

No, but in my internship an intern that had been a pharmacist gave a benzo sublingual to an elderly patient. He described how it knocked the patient out and he had to sit at her bedside all night to make sure she kept breathing.

Just have ur MA put in an IV. Give them two of versed. Collect your $50 and everyone is happier and safer