Stethoscope Needed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

podsquad24

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

So this might be a very stupid question but I was wondering if we need to buy stethoscopes/medical instruments for podiatry schools? My friends who are pursuing MD/DO had to get certain diagnostic equipment but wasn't sure if the same applied for pod students since we still do externships and residency that overlap with other med students.. Any information would be really helpful!

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on your school's curriculum.

At Scholl, we are required to buy the dissection kit for Anatomy and the medicine kit for clinical classes that begin in term 1.
So, we had to get a stethoscope, pen light, measuring tape, eye exam chart, a bp sphygmomanometer, and two types of tuning forks.

Reactions: 1 users
Ahh ok that makes sense! Anyone have any input for NYCPM?

Members don't see this ad :)
You'll need one eventually. Depends on the curriculum like the others said. If you don't have the funds don't buy one until they tell you to

Reactions: 1 user
When you purchase your stethoscope, PLEASE never, and I mean NEVER walk around the hospital, clinic or office with the stethoscope around your neck. If you do, you will be labeled a d-bag very quickly.

I know that there are 3 and 4 year residencies, hospital rotations as a student, including medicine rotations. I assure you that you will look like a fool if you are a DPM walking around with a stethoscope around your neck. If you need it for a rotation, put it in your lab coat pocket when not in use.

This may sound harsh or sarcastic, but my colleagues on this site will likely agree with me.

Reactions: 6 users
Hi Guys,

So this might be a very stupid question but I was wondering if we need to buy stethoscopes/medical instruments for podiatry schools? My friends who are pursuing MD/DO had to get certain diagnostic equipment but wasn't sure if the same applied for pod students since we still do externships and residency that overlap with other med students.. Any information would be really helpful!

Thanks
Hello! I'd just like to point out that you'll need a stethoscope for your Part 2 clinical boards (CSPE), and most likely for your internal medicine rotations during school and residency. While it's not necessary to buy the best stethoscope out there, having one might be convenient for these things in the long run. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
What's a stethoscope? All my surgical consults get a 9 point physical exam without one.....that's what the PCP or hospitalist is for.

Unless you have another method of auscultating heart sounds, vascular bruits, or bowel sounds ... you’ll need a stethoscope.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
This is what I was thinking....

And whats the deal with having a steth around your neck? That's where I keep mine unless I'm near behavioral patients...