Step II CK Medicine Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

justAstudent

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going through uworld right now and I'm noticing that medicine is going to be my weakest subject. I'm consistently getting a lot of medicine questions wrong. I've only gone through about 30% of uworld on random but my medicine is hovering around 60-62%. Any recent test takers have books to recommend? I don't want to spread myself too thin and use too many resources. Any advice would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

With not much time I would check out OnlineMedEd if you haven't already. If you are really just looking for a book, use Step Up To Medicine as a reference for weak topics.

Personally I don't really like MTB. If you've done OME already then you already know most of the high yield diseases and algorithms. What kinds of questions are you getting wrong in UWorld?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm looking at the "performance" tab in uworld right now and my %correct for medicine is 65%. Looking at the systems, cardiovascular is 57%, ophthalmology is 54%, and dermatology is 64%. Those are my lowest ones. Endocrine is at 73%, GI is at 79%, Heme/Onc is at 70%, and nervous system is at 70%. Looks like I need work in every system :(

Okay, well in that case you should do targeted sets and work through each organ system again. No need for a book, just look through the UWorld blocks for each system when you're done to see what kinds of things are tripping you up (i.e. is it recognizing presentation, treatments/drug mechanisms, excluding red-herrings, etc), and also just to learn every scrap of info you don't know. UWorld is your best bet at this point. Remind yourself that it isn't an assessment tool- learn as much as you can.

I agree with the above. I usually have learned best by missing the questions and every time it makes me kind of mad and I take it personal but that ends up making me learn it. I honestly feel like you learn more from that than any videos or sitting down reading a book.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm now noticing that I'm having trouble recognizing presentations a lot. For example, the question tries to lead me to a diagnosis of multiple myeloma with elevated calcium, bone pain, and elevated creatinine. I know those are found in multiple myeloma and it makes complete sense to me but as i read the question it dosen't pop into my head and isn't on my radar. Any advice?

This is actually one of the situations where flipping through a review book would be helpful... but I would use Step 2 Secrets in conjunction with your targeted UWorld sets. You will quickly refresh yourself and be able to recognize everything (ie have it on your radar since you just saw it recently), AND that book is actually high yield enough to be worth your time at this point.

For EKGs and management you can take the intro ACLS quiz online (like 50 questions) and go through the explanations. You'll know every clinically relevant EKG. Ignore the dosing stuff though.

Or for a more conventional resource, just go back to FA for Step 1 and breeze through the EKG section.

For heart murmurs try to look at context- 90% of the time using the age and whatever else in the stem you can guess correctly.