STEP 3 Score VS USMLE WORLD AVERAGE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FirstMANdown

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There is a great thread for Step 2ck VS UW%. I though it might be helpful if anyone out there can give us there input with there Step 3 VS UW%...etc as well. Anyways Thanks for the contribution.

I'm do to take Step 3 in the next month. Will update this thread as well. For better or for worse. :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I passed!! Barely at 197 but still a pass. I have such a longstanding history with the USMLE with failures in the past so to pass on my first try, while working 60-80 hour weeks is such a relief.

I echo what everyone else said: Day 1 feels awful. A lot of questions seemed very ambiguous and not diagnosis/management. Lots of biostats, epidemiology and "what are the risk" kinda questions. The long pharm ad questions were time consuming so keep track of time. Day 2 felt much more manageable with more reasonable diagnosis/management questions. What saved me was the cases. I would definitely not have passed if I hadn't worked through all the world cases.

My prep was 2 months between wards. I finished all of uworld (timed); half of kaplan (timed); all the uworld cases. I got a 203 on the uworld assessment 2 weeks before the test. I reviewed my weaker areas in MTB. I would advise to finish through MTB, do all the cases, and do Uworld at least once. I feel like none of the qbanks are up to date with the new format but hopefully they'll be updated this year. Good luck!

Took it 3/26 and 3/29

Step 1: 230
Step 2: 255
Step 3: 222

Uworld: 58% untimed tutor (did 100%)
UWSA: 210 (5 days before Day 1)

Currently on my TY. Studied for about 6-7 weeks, passively did questions on an easy anes rotation in Feb, then was on emed during March, so had multiple no question days leading up to the test (had 2 12 hr shifts between test days), but also had days off devoted to studying. Bought MTB, but didn't use it too much, just for occasional reference. Uworld CCS cases were money and a lot like the real deal.

I'm doing my TY, and I studied intermittently during my elective month and then took the exam at the end of the month. I was able to finish UW x 1 and CCS x 2. The first day was rough because of the insane amount of biostats/pharm ads/research questions. Second day was easier since the blocks were shorter, and the questions were more straightforward and concise. For those fretting over CCS, 3-4 of my cases didn't improve, and I didn't know the diagnosis of one...and I still managed to pass that section. I just completed them as quickly as I could and got the heck out of the testing center. The curve must have been incredibly generous!

Step 1: >255
Step 2: >265
Step 3: 246

UW: 68% timed
UWSA: 269 (1.5 weeks prior)

My only advice is to take it early in intern year if you have time especially if you're not doing medicine because you'll forget a lot. I wish my schedule allowed me to take it early on. Good luck to future exam takers!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
The real thing has 42 or 43 mcqs per 60 min. right? Why does the Uworld practice exam have 48 mcqs per 60 min? Totally throws the timing off. I want it to simulate the real thing. Killin me.

Step 1: 205
Step 2: 227
Step 3: Taking in 7.5 hours lol
I have never done all of U World. Step 1 I watched Kaplan Videos. Step 2 I did Master the Boards and about 25% of U World, timed, without reviewing explanations after I read, as a means to test myself.

Step 3 thus far:
Done MTB, watched Conrad's video course (98% of it). Done some CCS U World stuff. Did about 25-30% of U World in tutor mode this time (not timed but went back and looked at the time it took me to answer questions, which has me finishing each block with time to spare). Subscription expired - was scoring 58-60% ish, and was more anxious than I've ever been for a Step exam. Took a couple weeks off of studying because I felt like I was burning myself out. Re-subscribed, less anxious, now scoring 66%, 73rd percentile. Extra percent might be explained by doing some of the U World Stats stuff.

We'll see how it goes. Woo sahhhh ;) lol

Just got my score today: 218
I was just trying to pass, so I'm extremely happy with that.

Resources:
- MTB step 3: I didn't finish it, but I did read most of it. I didn't read psych or radiology at all. Not saying you shouldn't; just saying that not doing so didn't hurt me.
- Kaplan Qbank: I started taking questions at the beginning of my intern year: 10 questions here, 20 questions there, 1 week of doing a block a day here and there. By March, I think I had done about 60% of the question. I was scoring around 50%. That's when I started doing focused reading. I'd read cardiology then do a block on cardiology, and so one. My scores improved to the 70% range after that. I ended up doing about 90% of the Qbank, almost all of it in timed tutor mode.
- UWORLD Biostats review: Did most of it in one sitting, then skimmed it right before the exam. It's a really good review. Harder than most of what I saw on the exam, but a great help and highly recommended.
- UWORLD CCS: it's crazy how similar this was to the exam. I did about half the cases in earnest, then I ran out of time and started skimming the case explanations.

UWORLD practice exam: predicted a 222.

Exam:
- Day 1: "wow, this is not so bad, what was everyone bitching about? Even the biostats was all right."
- Day 2. "oh my god, I'm a failure. I'm going to fail step 3. OMG, I can't believed I failed. I feel like I'm getting raped with a broomstick. OMG, I knew I was a fraud, now this is going to prove it beyond the shadow of a doubt. OMG, OMG, OMG... I want to hide under my bed and never come out. Wait, this case is over already? But, I didn't even get the bronchoscopy results back! OMG, I'm failing. I knew I was a failure. Dammit, I ruled out every cause of abdominal pain I could think of and this patient is still moaning about pain. What the hell! Jesus Christ, I'm gonna fail." So, yeah... that was day 2.

I'm still here. If you're freaking out during the exam, it's totally okay. You'll be fine.

Reactions: 1 users
Step 1: 249
Step 2: 245
Step 3: 252

Prep for step 3:
-Uworld qbank. finished approx 90% of the questions on random timed/random tutor mode. Did all CCS. Studied on a light off-service rotation (first year EM resident here) for approx 3.5 weeks.
-Uworld avg 65%
-No UWSAs/NBMEs, no review books

Just like all prior Step exams, Uworld will get you through. Don't stress about it. I felt there was a very generous curve. Just wanted to pass this test and I studied the least for it out of all the Steps.

good luck everyone.

Hey guys, posted earlier on this thread.

Newly graduated Ms4 going into Rads.

Studied for 2 Months on and off before the Match and 1 month solid after.
Only Uworld and 2 assessments, I found MTB to be pretty useless.
Practiced CCS cases for 1 week through all Uworld cases X2.

UW % was 70 , random, tutor and timed
NBME #2 was a 248 4 weeks out
UWSA was a 230 2 weeks out

Final score 232 , CCS cases were weakest by far and I could have prepared better for them.
Hopefully the score doesn't matter too much for fellowship as I am shooting for IR at a decent
program.

Done with the USMLE forever though haha! Cheers!

I'm a PGY-3, took step 3 last november. I know, definitely a terrible decision to wait. I did UW ~55%, didnt really go over the cases. Got a 179. Started studying again last month now 63% on UW, 480 on UWSA and 450 on NBME SA. I'm worried I dont have enough cushion if I bomb the CCS. How many points do people usually drop? I feel like I know way more this time around but I'm scoring about same. I got an estimate 201 on the UWSA last time. I worry that I'm not doing the case correctly because there is no way to verify besides the case ending in a somewhat predicted manner.

I'm a PGY-3, took step 3 last november. I know, definitely a terrible decision to wait. I did UW ~55%, didnt really go over the cases. Got a 179. Started studying again last month now 63% on UW, 480 on UWSA and 450 on NBME SA. I'm worried I dont have enough cushion if I bomb the CCS. How many points do people usually drop? I feel like I know way more this time around but I'm scoring about same. I got an estimate 201 on the UWSA last time. I worry that I'm not doing the case correctly because there is no way to verify besides the case ending in a somewhat predicted manner.

450 on NBME form 3 (or even 2) is quite a bit dude - I'd be feeling a lot more confident this time around. You've got one hell of a cushion in my opinion just reading advice from the various threads. I recall reading a recent post from someone who scored 410 on the NBME SA and ended up w/ a 230 on the real thing. Also, if CCS is really bothering you, have you looked into online programs that teach it to you? I haven't, but I've only heard good things about that one specific program everyone keeps talking about. I think it's Archer (http://www.ccsworkshop.com/).

But again, I haven't taken the real thing yet, so I'm pretty terrified myself - it's always easy to give advice when you're not on the receiving end. I wish you the best of luck.

That's true. I looked into the ARCHER series but I'm not really sold on it. I got some notes from a friend. I plan on doing all the UW CCS cases again and memorize the scoring and time management sheets. I feel I have an pretty good grasp of the software at this point. My test is next week so I still have about 4 days to hammer some CCS. My wife is kind of like that guy. She didn't do too well on her practice exams but she's a gamer I guess and got in the 230s. I just need to pass on move on with my life. Being a path resident isnt very helpful :shrug:. Once they say the biopsy diagnosis I have to fight my tendency to tune out lol. Thank you for the reply.

Seeking advice, Average on uw qbank 58% , NBME 460 1.5wks out , UWSA 5days out 410 (194) --Terrified after UWSA yesterday. Planning to reschedule it for august (will be a semi chill rotation).
will cost a total of $289 to reschedule at this point. My dilemma is, do I go ahead and take it and pray for a passing score?. any input will be greatly appreciated

Members don't see this ad :)
Seeking advice, Average on uw qbank 58% , NBME 460 1.5wks out , UWSA 5days out 410 (194) --Terrified after UWSA yesterday. Planning to reschedule it for august (will be a semi chill rotation).
will cost a total of $289 to reschedule at this point. My dilemma is, do I go ahead and take it and pray for a passing score?. any input will be greatly appreciated
dude, posts like this are scaring the crap out of me - doing well here on the NBME forms 2 and 3 but I still haven't taken UWSA, and my test is in 2 weeks... It just makes me wonder why your NBME score is so different from your UWSA score, particularly since most people writing the recent posts on how they scored seem to agree that UWSA is a much stronger predictor of the real thing. On top of that, I don't even know what a good score is on the NBMEs, since they only give you the raw score, along with the mean and S.D., but without a conversion chart like they'd do for CK and Step 1. I'd be interested to see what kind of advice you'll get here. Hang in there.

if you don't mind sharing, what's your average on UW Q bank and how are your doing on the NBME

I did all of uworld step 3 throughout MS IV (random, timed, averaging ~50-52%), and then when i really started studying for step 3 about 8 wks ago, i reset it, and I've been doing 65-70% also random and timed. I feel like I have no clue how my uworld score should be since i could subconsciously be getting questions right because I remember them, although it had been pretty much half a year since i touched it when I reset it.

I got a 400 on NBME form 2 (about a month ago), and 410 on NBME form 3 (about a wk ago). Since I read your post, I've been too scared of taking UWSA. Was supposed to take the real thing on the last two days of this month but backed out right before the $300 deadline, and cancelled my appointment.

I have about 30% of uworld left. I was thinking about finishing it up, taking UWSA, and see where I'm at. I'm worried that UWSA would be my last real way of finding out if I'm ready for this thing or not, so I really don't want to waste it.

I didn't match this/last year, so failing Step 3 would be the kiss of death, which is why I'm so terrified. I'm also not sure if simply passing Step 3 is good enough for the new application season (although I am also doing an MPH, so it's not like I'm studying full time for Step 3).

What did you end up deciding to do if you don't mind me asking?

a weird part of me knows i'm ready to take it, and another part of me realizes how screwed I am if by some act of God I fail this thing. So I am honestly torn.

I just got my step 3 score back- 245

Step 1 and 2 scores around 250.

I had sort of a weird experience with my UWSA, so I thought I'd post. I studied for about a week (not on a rotation- I haven't started intern year yet) and had done close to half of UWorld at around 60-61% average and got a 207 on my UWSA. I was kind of surprised because I usually do well on tests and thought I should've been more in the 220s based on UWorld. I kept studying for another week and got through about three quarters of the UWorld qbank with about 64% average, but near the end was getting more like 70-71% on my question sets. I also read through maybe like a third of Master the Boards before giving up and focusing on questions. I also did all the UWorld CCS cases and think I did well on the real CCS cases.

Just thought I'd share since other people have been posting about inconsistent UWSA also. UWSA have always been fairly predictive for me in the past so I really don't know what's going on with that.

I just got my step 3 score back- 245

Step 1 and 2 scores around 250.

I had sort of a weird experience with my UWSA, so I thought I'd post. I studied for about a week (not on a rotation- I haven't started intern year yet) and had done close to half of UWorld at around 60-61% average and got a 207 on my UWSA. I was kind of surprised because I usually do well on tests and thought I should've been more in the 220s based on UWorld. I kept studying for another week and got through about three quarters of the UWorld qbank with about 64% average, but near the end was getting more like 70-71% on my question sets. I also read through maybe like a third of Master the Boards before giving up and focusing on questions. I also did all the UWorld CCS cases and think I did well on the real CCS cases.

Just thought I'd share since other people have been posting about inconsistent UWSA also. UWSA have always been fairly predictive for me in the past so I really don't know what's going on with that.

I had a similar experience. UWSA had me at 207 as well, but there was no time for additional study -- I was taking it next day. I basically used it to check & make sure I'd have a passing score.

I had studied on and off while on my EM rotation in March completing about 80% of the MC questions with an average in the low 60% range and 90% of the CCS cases. Was supposed take the exam end of that month, but got sick and rescheduled to late May. Didn't really have time to re-study other than a scattered day or two as I was on MICU/IM in April/May.

Ultimately, I wound up with a 234, which I'm pretty sure would have been higher if I'd not been a cheapskate and bought/repeated the CCS cases. Still UWSA doesn't take CCS into consideration so I'm not sure why there was such a discrepancy. It seems like I'd looked at the score correlation on some site and based on my % correct, it was a more accurate approximation.

I guess I'd approach the UWSA with a grain of salt. If it says you'll pass, I'd feel comfortable moving forward, but the tested % correct seems like a better gauge.

Here's my info followed by how I studied. I am a PGY1. I just got my scores back and took it right after med school/before residency a few weeks ago.
USMLE World average: 65%
USMLE World practice test predicted: 237
Actual test: 249

Prep: I did 1 month after graduation (which included a 1 week vacation of 0% study time), and ended up with 3 weeks total time of about 6 hours per day. I used Master the Boards (Conrad Fischer) for my book. I used U-World exclusively from practice questions and completed it 2 times. I also used U-World's practice for the day 2 patient portion-sim cases (CCS?). It is way overboard for anyone who is doing an intern year, but I was straight out of med school with no intern year and coming off 6 months of non-clinical time.

Day 1: I almost left crying because it was so bad. I really hated the long drug ad questions, and I am weaker on statistics because I always over think what they are trying to ask me. A significant amount of Step 1/Step 2 stuff, and I thought this was harder than USMLE world questions, but my score for this portion was good, so I just panicked.

Day 2: Not bad at all. The traditional Step 3 questions about patient management. The cases are super easy. You know what is up in the first 30 seconds. This went well for me because of the U-World practice software, so I got good at quickly ordering and navigating the system.

Good luck everyone!

I can't begin to tell you all how helpful this thread has been for me. I really appreciate it.

Is it me, or does it seem that the most recent posts here are only talking about uWorld scores vs the uWorld assessment score vs the score on the real thing?

I guess my real question is this:

Is everyone simply ditching the NBME self assessment form 2 and form 3? or are you simply leaving that information out of your posts to keep this thread on topic?

Again, thanks so much :)

Spent ~1.5 weeks off of rotations doing questions, getting through 100% of UWorld questions and all of CCS once (long days of studying). I would maybe recommend going through CCS more than once, but otherwise felt moderately well prepared.

UWorld Average: 71% (did not take any NBME self assessments or the UWSA)
Step 3 Score: 248

Spent ~1.5 weeks off of rotations doing questions, getting through 100% of UWorld questions and all of CCS once (long days of studying). I would maybe recommend going through CCS more than once, but otherwise felt moderately well prepared.

UWorld Average: 71% (did not take any NBME self assessments or the UWSA)
Step 3 Score: 248
baller

congrats on ending this thing!

I can't begin to tell you all how helpful this thread has been for me. I really appreciate it.

Is it me, or does it seem that the most recent posts here are only talking about uWorld scores vs the uWorld assessment score vs the score on the real thing?

I guess my real question is this:

Is everyone simply ditching the NBME self assessment form 2 and form 3? or are you simply leaving that information out of your posts to keep this thread on topic?

Again, thanks so much :)

I did an NBME assessment and it predicted about the same as USMLE world. The questions were not updated to the new format (with drug ads and additional statistics), and there was no patient simulation portion. I felt a little ripped off by the whole thing.

I did an NBME assessment and it predicted about the same as USMLE world. The questions were not updated to the new format (with drug ads and additional statistics), and there was no patient simulation portion. I felt a little ripped off by the whole thing.
i guess they've changed the scoring procedure for the NBME ones since you've taken it, because people here are saying that the uworld assessment is giving them an actual score, e.g. 240 or whatever. On the other hand, I was asking about the NBMEs because they only give the unconverted scores (400-800) without a conversion chart. They just give the mean and standard deviation along with a score of let's say 480 or 500 for example. Which really doesn't mean anything other than the fact that I hit their mean. No conversion chart like how they'd do it in CK or Step 1

Thanks all for all your input in this forum!!
Now It’s my turn to help others.
I’m an IMG, 2010 graduation.

Preparation Material:
Studied for 4 months with just UW. Also read my CK notes all along my preparation. Started CCS 6 weeks before the actual test with just UW, and review each case twice, which I think is more than enough for the test. Finished each UW block with some extra time, 8-10 minutes remaining.
No Kaplan, No MTB 2-3, No videos. No ARCHER.

Exam:

Day 1: I had the same CK feeling that I did really badly. But I just thought it was normal –post test depression-. I hated the drug add questions, the social sciences and ethics questions. Had like 5 Step 1/ and about 10 Step 2 stuff. My impression was that it was a little harder than USMLE world questions. I had the feeling of having multiple answers in about 15 questions, so don’t panic; remember what’s best for the patients or what comes first (UW algorithms).
In terms of time management I was always finishing the blocks on time, but when using UW I had like 8-10 minutes left. So be ready for this and train your reading techniques, or skip the hard ones.

Day 2: Really easy set of questions compared to day 1, questions were easier compared to UW. Had like 10 minutes left in each block. The cases are super easy. You may find one diagnosis in 10 of them, and 2 in the other ones (just use UW and you will be fine). All of them closed before the time limit.
Although this day seems longer compared to day 1, you will end up around the same time.

Score correlation
UW % average was 62, random and timed. 100% completed.
NBME 2 was a 490 6 weeks out
NBME 3 was a 530 3 weeks out
UWSA was a 210 5 days before test. I was really surprised. But I agree with what other people have said, if you pass UWSA, you'll pass the real one, do not pay too much attention to the 3 digit UWSA prediction.

Final score 222 :D:soexcited::soexcited:!!! Got score on a Wednesday, 4 weeks after the test.

BYE BYE USMLE!!!!
Step 1 Step 2 around 230’s

So yeah, you will expect your score to go down around 10 points in step 3.

I am an internal medicine resident who took Step 3 towards the end of intern year. I attend a mid tier IM program and do not intend to do a fellowship so Step 3 was really just about passing so I could get my license. I thought I would post since I am an example of someone who studied minimally and achieved my goal of passing by a safe margin.

Prior Step Scores
Step 1 240
Step 2 CK 250
CS Pass

Study
- UWorld Qbank: About 30% of this over 2-3 months leading up to exam on easier rotations
- UWorld CCS Cases: Did about 10 cases in earnest and read the answers to the OB/Gyn and Peds cases the day before the test
- MTB Step 3: Read about 30% of this focusing on OB/Gyn, Peds, Surg the week before the test

Things I did not do
- Any practice tests
- Stress

Step 3 Score: 224

Yes, my score went down significantly from prior steps, but I passed by a very safe margin considering the effort I put in

My advice for busy IM/Family residents - Don't sweat it, you've been doing this all year...your money is on doing the CCS cases and going through MTB's suggestions so you are thorough on the cases and ordering the little things you take for granted. Ie. NPO before surgery, IV placement before giving fluids, COUNSELING, etc.

Don't sacrifice vacation time when you should be decompressing and spending time with loved ones. Try to study on slower rotations or do some cases/questions gradually on hard rotations.

What I wish I knew before
- Try to focus on studying the areas you are weaker on and learning the format of the CCS portion of the test, don't waste your time studying comprehensively for this test (unless you did poorly before, you are in non-clinical residency, IMG etc.)
- 90% of this test is test taking skills and English language competency. If you did well on Steps 1 and 2 you will do fine on 3
- The cases portion of this test is only 20-30% of your total score BUT if you fail the CCS part then you fail all of Step 3, so go through the UWorld cases and just give them what they want. The cases are super straight-forward. Just because you get to the end of the case before getting a definitive diagnosis does NOT mean you did poorly. In fact, the diagnosis you type in at the end does NOT count towards your score.
- If you read/test slow then SKIP the drug abstract questions and come back to them at the end of the block with remaining time.
- You can separate your two test days by up to a week, but I took them back to back to get it out of the way and would suggest the same to you

New kid on the block
Need help ... Ccs I am treating a patient for x disease the patient is in the hospital I am doing this and that the patient has Iv fluids Iv antibiotics he is doing better . Patients feels better ... Case ends ... What do I do with the Iv antibiotics the oxygen the saline ... Do I cancel it and counsel patient or do I leave it as it is and counsel advice blah blah blah exit and diagnosis :(

UW % was 69% random, timed-tutor mode. I did the Qbank once and all the CCS cases once, paying special attention to the "Timing" tab.
Step 3 score was 234.

I´m so glad to be done with the NBME!

New kid on the block
Need help ... Ccs I am treating a patient for x disease the patient is in the hospital I am doing this and that the patient has Iv fluids Iv antibiotics he is doing better . Patients feels better ... Case ends ... What do I do with the Iv antibiotics the oxygen the saline ... Do I cancel it and counsel patient or do I leave it as it is and counsel advice blah blah blah exit and diagnosis :(

To be honest, on the CCS portion I have no clue how they grade it. I didn't cancel half the tests at the final case end window and there were a couple cases where I forgot to put the diagnosis/counseling bit. Still did very well (score in 240s).

My advice is, do well overall on CCS, don't sweat the tiny things, and if your case ends early it's probably a good sign. Focus heavily on the non-CCS portion especially biostats and ethics (just for the first day) because those are the questions you can easily get right.

Following forum user sanktank7's format above. Thanks sanktank7.

Context:
Pediatric resident. Step 3 at the end of intern year.

Prior Step Scores:
Step 1 240s
Step 2 CK 240s
Step 2 CS Pass

Study:
UWorld Qbank, 25% of questions over 1 weeks, averaging 50-75% on 43 question sets
UWorld CCS Cases, 100% of cases over 2 days

Things I did not do anything else.

Step 3 Score: 210s

Advice:
While there are definitely enough questions that are specific, detailed, and rare to reward the genius/well-prepared test taker, compared to prior NBME exams, Step 3 appeared to have a greater percentage of questions covering common ailments, i.e. sequela of over eating, lack of exercise, alcohol and/or tobacco use, etc. If you are as minimalist as I was regarding Step 3 preparation with the primary goal of just passing, at the very least complete the CCS Cases and know the computer/case/program environment so that your second day of testing can end quickly, ultimately so that you can enjoy more hours off work.

Uhm is it just me or is UWSA just incredibly vague and hard?? I'm scared to finish UWSA, my exam is in 5 days and I'm terrified I'm going to fail :/

So my UWSA is 210. Think I'm going to do okay? Step 1 230's and step 2 250's! Currently finishing intern year.

Question. How do peds residents typically feel about the exam? I feel like this is hard enough for a surgical resident or pathology resident or someone else without a lot of IM experience, but at least surgeons have taken care of adults...

i guess they've changed the scoring procedure for the NBME ones since you've taken it, because people here are saying that the uworld assessment is giving them an actual score, e.g. 240 or whatever. On the other hand, I was asking about the NBMEs because they only give the unconverted scores (400-800) without a conversion chart. They just give the mean and standard deviation along with a score of let's say 480 or 500 for example. Which really doesn't mean anything other than the fact that I hit their mean. No conversion chart like how they'd do it in CK or Step 1

I just searched online. Since they give a scaled score, there are spreadsheets out there to convert that scaled score into an actual score. It was really just a way to make me feel a little better before the real test, but I didn't learn anything from it.

I just searched online. Since they give a scaled score, there are spreadsheets out there to convert that scaled score into an actual score. It was really just a way to make me feel a little better before the real test, but I didn't learn anything from it.

any link at all you can give me? I guess my searching skills suck

thanks in advance

How many questions does the uworld q bank contain? It seems like many people dont even get to finish it.

So my UWSA is 210. Think I'm going to do okay? Step 1 230's and step 2 250's! Currently finishing intern year.

you should do fine.
make sure you go over the cases for the css portion well. People tend to overemphasize on the mcq's

New kid on the block

@drmacbook, this is a very good question. There is a very good explanation in ********** Workshop for this.
When case ends, a 2 minute screen comes up. You always should put orders in 2 min screen after seeing the simulated time because it reflects a point time in the patient's life. So if it had only been 2 hours since the patient came to hospital, discontinuing IV antibiotics etc and preparing him for discharge is not appropriate. We can be scored negatively for such premature discontinuation of orders. If you prematurely discontinue, you are telling the software that you have decided to d/c the orders because they were placed in error and although you had ordered earlier, you will now lose credit. A 2 min screen does not mean you always have to prepare patients for discharge. You should act based on the stability of the patient for discharge, the time since admission, whether he is afebrile and whether he is able to tolerate oral diet/ medications .
On 2 min screen, you should base your judgement based on simulated time shown when you are on 2 min screen. Do not alter your judgement based on the real time. For example if an elderly patient had pneumonia and we started IV antibiotics on day 1, our goal is normally to advance the clock to day 2, see if he is afebrile and then switch IV antibiotics to PO and make arrangements for discharge. However, if the case ended when you are trying to advance the clock to day 2, it is important that we check simulated time on 2 min screen. Even though we advanced the clock to day 2, if the case ended before that advance occurred, simulated time may just show day 1 on 2 min screen. So, in this example, we should check simulated time when you are on 2 min screen..if it shows day 1, leave everything as it is i.e; do not switch IV to po etc. If simulated time shows day 2 or more and if the patient is afebrile for more than 24 hrs, switch IV antibiotics to PO.

So, do not discontinue fluids, ivs etc if the simulated time is less than a day and the patient was not yet stable before 2 min screen showed up. If 2 min screen showed up after the reports that patient was stable, afebrile for more than 24 hours, no nausea or vomiting and if simulated time is greater than 24 hours - then only make changes like switching iv medications to oral, discharge prep etc.

Sorry for the repetition. I believe repetition leads to good understanding.

450 on NBME form 3 (or even 2) is quite a bit dude - I'd be feeling a lot more confident this time around. You've got one hell of a cushion in my opinion just reading advice from the various threads. I recall reading a recent post from someone who scored 410 on the NBME SA and ended up w/ a 230 on the real thing. Also, if CCS is really bothering you, have you looked into online programs that teach it to you? I haven't, but I've only heard good things about that one specific program everyone keeps talking about. I think it's Archer (http://www.ccsworkshop.com/).
But again, I haven't taken the real thing yet, so I'm pretty terrified myself - it's always easy to give advice when you're not on the receiving end. I wish you the best of luck.

@yayforscrambling , 410 NBME SA to 230 on exam ? That is damn good. Any idea what this specific person scored on UWSA?

@yayforscrambling , 410 NBME SA to 230 on exam ? That is damn good. Any idea what this specific person scored on UWSA?

Hey there!

I just finished searching around and I can't seem to find the post I was referring to. I can almost see it in my head! I have no idea if he even took UWSA honestly.

If it helps in any way, just last wednesday one of my classmates who's a very close friend of mine received his official score report and he got a 228 on the real thing. His NBME form 2 was 420 and his UWSA was 199. He took both practice exams within 3 days of the real thing. I know for a fact that he goofed around after taking those practice tests, so he didn't do any major studying at all afterwards. Yet he went and took the real thing and did amazing compared to his practice exams.

We studied together for a while so I actually saw all his score reports. I was very surprised about the huge score difference. But everyone's different. Personally, I thought he was crazy and told him he'd be an idiot if he took it. I still think he's crazy. I think you just have to know yourself well. Just be careful reading way too much into this because we're all so different, particularly since you'll notice that the majority of people posting here don't have these score differences.

good luck!

Question. How do peds residents typically feel about the exam? I feel like this is hard enough for a surgical resident or pathology resident or someone else without a lot of IM experience, but at least surgeons have taken care of adults...

I took the new Step 3 as a PGY2 Peds resident. It is a tough exam for us, because we don't practice on adults. So you should definitely know your CHF, DM, HTN, etc. algorithms. However there is enough Peds on the exam that you should do well in that arena.

Can someone give me some advice? uw assessment: 450/204
averaged 60s on the uworld.
step 1: 216
step 2cK: 229
Test next week, should I postpone the test.

Taking the two parts 1 week apart (not on purpose just easiest for me to schedule that way)
Before the first test:
57% on just over 600 Uworld questions. Made 212 on Uworld practice test.
Plan to do all cases and about 100-200 day 2 questions during the week between the two.

Step 1: 230's Step 2: 250's. Just want to pass and as a 4th year ortho resident I have used basically none of this knowledge over last 3 years. Just kept putting this off for various reasons. So here's hoping for the best.

I've been meaning to share my experience as I found this thread helpful! I had 2 days in between days 1 and 2 of the test. I took it at the end of my PGY1 year.
Prep:
UWorld qbank - finished 100% of questions over about 7-8 weeks of steady, low-level studying while on wards-level intensity rotations, 78% correct overall
UWorld CCS - didn't do any CCS prep until after day 1 of the test. Finsihed 100% of cases over the 2 days in between days 1 and 2 of the test
UWSA - 248
MTB 3 - skimmed maybe 50% of this over 2-3 days in the week leading up to day 1, focused on things I hadn't seen in awhile. I wasn't planning on using this at all but in that final week I didn't feel like certain topics were cemented in my head so I gave it a shot. It was kind of nice to review and I felt like I got a few questions right only because I had seen them very recently in this book

Step 3 - 264

Advice:
-If you can space out your test days so that you have a day or two in between, I would recommend it. It was a short enough time period where I didn't feel like I was waiting around for day 2 to come, but it was long enough that it let me adequately prep for CCS (which I had neglected up until that point).
-I strongly recommend the UWorld CCS cases - they are nearly exactly like the real thing.
-Take it as soon as you can in residency! Just get it over with!

Took the test on 7/26 and 7/27 (beginning of PGY-2 of Med/Peds), got my score back around 8/19:
UWorld QBank - I'm embarrassed to say I completed only 50-60% of it, scoring around 60% correct overall. I gradually started doing questions in May, picked up the pace in June and July.
UWorld CCS - honestly forgot about this part, and reviewed half the cases about 3 days before the test
UWSA - 210. I took this a week before the test, and was seriously contemplating pushing my date back. After soliciting advice from colleagues and family, they all said to just take it and get it over with.
FA Step 3 - never, ever used. I really felt stupid buying the book

Step 3 score - 217.
After finishing day 1, I was really panicking because a lot of the questions I got weren't very reflective of the (few) Qbank questions that I saw, and I got a lot of the ads/abstract questions, at least 1-2 per block. There was one block on day 1 where i missed 3-4 questions at the end. The second day, I found the cases to be pretty straight forward, but frustrated when the case would end early and I only got 2 minutes to order more tests, and enter orders for counseling. Since I'm not looking to apply to competitive fellowships, so I'm just glad to have passed, especially with my poor preparation.

My advice: you will be fine as long as you pass the UWSA, but still, prepare better than me! I can't imagine ever feeling awesome after taking these kinds of exams, but if I had prepared better, I might have not spent the last three weeks thinking about when I would be able to repeat it in case of a failure.

Taking the two parts 1 week apart (not on purpose just easiest for me to schedule that way)
Before the first test:
57% on just over 600 Uworld questions. Made 212 on Uworld practice test.
Plan to do all cases and about 100-200 day 2 questions during the week between the two.

Step 1: 230's Step 2: 250's. Just want to pass and as a 4th year ortho resident I have used basically none of this knowledge over last 3 years. Just kept putting this off for various reasons. So here's hoping for the best.

Got my real Step 3 score: 211

So I guess the 212 prediction from Uworld was pretty solid. I ended up doing about 700 Uworld questions, and half of the cases. No books or other study materials. Solid outcome given time devoted and being in a field with little practical application of most of the topics.

My advice would be to make sure you do at least half the cases so you're familiar with how it works. Plus going through an obgyn case or peds case etc as a resident from another field is super helpful. It really clues you in to those things you totally forgot about from medical school.

If I was planning to study for Step 3 over again I'd do the following:
Do all the cases
Then do 25-30% of questions, then take a practice test, see where you are then plan from there. If you make a huge practice score then you're gonna be fine. If you're borderline ramp it up.

Figure I will repay the favor and post since I looked here for advice on correlations while studying. Just started intern year, best advice I received was to get this test out of the way early. Studied 3 weeks during one of my lighter rotations for Step3 by doing UWorld questions and skimming MTB.

Step1: 224
Step2: 244

UWorld avg: completed Qbank ~65% correct
UWSA: 204

-best advice is familiarize yourself with CCS software (7/12 cases were identical to UW; others were straightforward)

Step 3: 224

Just took step 3 last Friday and this past Monday. Day 1 felt absolutely awful.. Day 2 still pretty awful but not as bad as day 1. I thought we get our scores back in 3 weeks but I have friends who said they only got their scores back 2 months later.. How long has everyone been waiting for their scores?