Step 2cs&ck and Level 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.Jekyll75

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have looked around the site and noticed that many of the posts regarding taking step 2 and level 2 are a bit dated. So i took step 1 and level 1 and got a 228 & 569 respectively. Im interested in OB(to fertility fellowship), EM and IM (Gi wannabe). My question is should I or and other DO students take step 2 cs and CK ? or would comlex level 2 be enough . These test are pretty pricey and trying to get time off for the P.E portions for both is a pain, please advise

Members don't see this ad.

I have looked around the site and noticed that many of the posts regarding taking step 2 and level 2 are a bit dated. So i took step 1 and level 1 and got a 228 & 569 respectively. Im interested in OB(to fertility fellowship), EM and IM (Gi wannabe). My question is should I or and other DO students take step 2 cs and CK ? or would comlex level 2 be enough . These test are pretty pricey and trying to get time off for the P.E portions for both is a pain, please advise

As a DO student, do not take step 2 CS. There is no reason to, as passing it won't improve your application. If you're interested in MD programs, I would recommend taking Step 2 CK.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
As a DO student, do not take step 2 CS. There is no reason to, as passing it won't improve your application. If you're interested in MD programs, I would recommend taking Step 2 CK.

That makes sense but my question is do they care when you apply to fellowship so if you took the clinical skills or not?

That makes sense but my question is do they care when you apply to fellowship so if you took the clinical skills or not?

From everything I've read and been told by faculty at my school, it does not matter. Since the test is P/F and not scored like Step 1 or Step 2CK, it doesn't give fellowship/residency directors any way to really compare applicants. As long as you've passed COMLEX level 2PE (which you'd have to have passed to be at the point of applying for fellowships) then you are fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
From everything I've read and been told by faculty at my school, it does not matter. Since the test is P/F and not scored like Step 1 or Step 2CK, it doesn't give fellowship/residency directors any way to really compare applicants. As long as you've passed COMLEX level 2PE (which you'd have to have passed to be at the point of applying for fellowships) then you are fine.

Appreciate it. Since the whole merger is happening everything up in flames and no one knows what to really do and my school doesn't really want us to take the steps because they still believe the former AOA programs will continue to take comlex