Step 2CK Scores Before Ranking

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AllDay24

Veteran Member
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am wondering how schools use step 2 CK scores that come in before ranking but after an interview. I have heard that after your interview, pretty much all decision making on your application is done within 1-2 days after your interview day.

So how would schools use Step 2 CK scores that are reported in February? Do they just check to see if you did okay/passed? I got a >260 on Step 1 and I would like to postpone Step 2 CK as much as possible because I prolly won't do as well since I have taken a research year and have forgotten a lot of stuff. If I got a 240 on CK would that be a big blemish at top derm programs?

Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

TBH I don't think Step 2 CK matter at all, even for those who took it as a way to make up for a low Step 1. On many of my interviews, I saw a piece of paper with the interviewer that almost always just had "Name, Step 1 Score, Alpha Omega Alpha status" and that was it. Maybe for some institutions who have a more holistic approach, they may use Step 2 CK to justify granting an interview to someone with strong clinical grades but a "lower" Step 1 score so that they can be assured they're a good test-taker, but that's just speculation.

In your case, with a >260 on Step 1 and I'm assuming numerous publications since you took a research year, just worry about being a good interviewer and letting your personality shine during the interview.

Reactions: 2 users
" I have heard that after your interview, pretty much all decision making on your application is done within 1-2 hours after your interview."

Fixed.

Ok, not entirely, but pretty much...at least where I am. I can't imagine that CK would matter all too much. After you get your interview, we are most concerned about your personality, work ethic, and how well you would fit in with our group.

I trained (in part) at a pretty high up there program and they are pretty score-centric, but I think it's more Step I-centric than Step II.

I venture a guess that using the term 'prolly' on a professional medical forum would affect your chances more than a low-average CK score (meaning not a big deal, but can't rule out that some people would care). ;)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks so much Dral and test anxiety! This is really comforting since I got an away at one of my top programs in November and thus won't really have dedicated time to study (that was supposed to be my study month)

I took step 2ck about a week ago. I took it early because the thought of trying to remember how to differentiate between schizoaffective disorder and major depressive disorder with psychotic features late in fourth year makes me nauseous. I pray I don't go down as I scored in the 250's on step 1. However this thread gives me reassurance.

Some programs want to see your Step 2 score prior to interview others don't care. It's nothing like Step 1 there isn't as much to study.

My understanding is the number of programs that require step 2 for an interview are minimal (like you can count on one hand). Is that not true?

You are correct. None require before interview. UCSF and Cleveland require before ranking.

Reactions: 1 users
You are correct. None require before interview. UCSF and Cleveland require before ranking.

I could see the number that do this increasing in the future.

However, for now I think you're good. Just study a bunch and do the best you can. At least it's less stressful than Step 1. You already have that difficult part behind you. :thumbup: