Step 2 CS Scheduling Conflict Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TF735

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am scheduled to take my Step 2 CS exam in Houston during August, but received & accepted an orthopaedic surgery away rotation offer in the Southeast. I am excited about this rotation and would like to do well on it, but my CS exam falls on the first Friday of my rotation there.

There are no available sites in the nation until the middle of November if moved. The pass/fail reporting dates for the Nov exam are 01/31-02/21. I know rank lists are due for programs & applicants around the end of that period and have heard some programs will not rank applicants that have not officially passed yet.

Looking for advice whether to ask for one day off from rotation (fly out Thursday evening, fly back Friday evening) or take CS exam in mid-Nov with the small possibility that my score is not back before match.

How important is the CS score report for securing interviews & program rank lists? What would you do if you were in my situation? Thanks for the advice & help.

Members don't see this ad.

You should move your test to the November date, without question.

Missing a day of an away rotation is the worst thing you could possibly do. I believe this question has been addressed elsewhere on this forum, if you want to search. Though, I think people more commonly ask about taking a day off for CK.

Reactions: 1 user