Step 2 CS fail

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jeeeps1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
AMG - Just found out I failed Step 2 CS and wanted to see if you guys could clarify a couple of questions that I had:

1) Do I need to having a passing Step 2 CS score going into the match (RoL deadline = Feb 22)?
-I'm going to take it again in Jan, meaning that my score won't be released until March 8 -30th.

2) Will I have the option to not release my scores until after the match?
- I've only been asked by one PD out of 15 interviews to send them my CS result

I'm just worried that I screwed up my future matching into my first choice.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry this happened to you. The good news is that there is a path forward. There's a few threads on here about failing, and you'll see that they turn out ok in the end (for AMG's). I would look around for them. There's a lot of speculation around, but focus on the posts from people who actually went through this and still matched really well. For your questions:

1) This is very specialty and program dependent. Some places will ask for it closer to rank time and others won't. If they require it, you're out of luck, but you do have a good number of interviews.

2) Programs will not see your scores unless you manually release them again through ERAS. You obviously don't want to release this. If they do ask, you need to be honest. If you've already interviewed and the websites don't explicitly list it as a requirement, there's a good chance no one will ask. Once you match, as long as you graduate and pass on time, you're fine.

I know this sucks, but you'll land on your feet. Feel free to PM if you want to vent/talk.

Reactions: 1 user
AMG; 3rd year. People around me said if I could speak English, I would breeze through this exam. I went through all the cases at the back of the FA book and just took it. After I took it, I felt so bad about it and think I might have failed it. Here are the mistakes I made:

ICE:
1. In one case, I was so nervous that the right diagnoses did not click to me. I got one non-primary diagnosis right for sure but not the other two.
2. In another case, again, I got one main diagnosis right, another one - acceptable and the last one - completely off. I should have not put it even.
3. In another case, I got the primary diagnosis wrong and the other two right.
4. Funduscope exam - wrong technique
5. Abdominal exam - did not have the patients fold up their legs
6. Accidentally wrote 'cystoscopy' instead of 'hysteroscopy'

CIS:
1. Did not counsel about sex/drug/smoking in most of the patients
2. Did not summarize HPI to all of the patients
3. Two cases where the patients addressed the concerns but did not feel like I addressed them sufficiently

SEP:
English is not my first language but I spoke fine. No worries.

What I did right
1. No conflict with the patients (some of them actually liked me)
2. Good introduction and closure (kept saying "anything else?" "any question?")
3. Washed my hands
4. Listened to heart and lung under the gown
5. Other cases were reasonably okay I think

I am so worried that I might fail this stupid exam. I underestimated this exam and now am regretting. Any thoughts?