Step 2 CS anxiety relief thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shockwavelithotripsy

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Everyone knows there's a ton of anxiety involved in waiting for Step 2 CS scores to come out. Even the best students begin to doubt themselves and that is good for nobody. The worst part about waiting for scores on CS is the lack of clear cut guidelines on what it takes to pass this subjective exam. You really don't know your scores until you know your scores. I know that with the collective hive mind of the internet we can definitely do better to demystify this exam and its passing requirements. I myself am waiting for my CS score, and will update this thread when I get my score.

So everyone who has taken the CS exam AND has received their score (passing or not) please post what you think contributed to your score. Anybody who has taken the exam twice - your advice is even more valuable!

If you got a borderline in one subject, why do you think so? If you got an asterisk in another, why do you so?

The point is that any concrete information from prior examinees can be of huge benefit to us all in preparing for this examination and knowing how we will be graded. I hope this thread grows immensely and that it will be helpful for all to prepare for this exam.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I haven't received my results yet . Results are going to start rolling from 28th of July. I am very tense because my exam didn't go as plan.

1. I was visibly nervous in my first case. I did the relevant PE but my diagnosis was not good. I also couldn't write many supporting points for this case hence this case didn't went well.

2. This case went very well I suppose although my third diagnosis was ****. Shouldn't have put that in. Only had like 2 supporting points.

3. This case also went well. I got the diagnosis and supported it well. Missed few things in PE but overall went well. I forgot to put one important workup though.

4. This case went OK. I forgot some PE maneuvers that I should have done. Also messed up my second and third diagnosis and subsequently the workup

5. This case was straight forward. Did the relevant PE and got the diagnosis. Although my second diagnosis was not good enough.

6. I missed an obvious diagnosis in this case but the other diagnosis were valid and well supported.

7. I missed couple of relevant history questions. Got the diagnosis but only had 3-4 supporting points.

8. Went well.

9. Went well

10. Went well

11. Missed an obvious diagnosis that I should have put . My first and third diagnosis were reasonable. I wanted to put my second diagnosis on third place but just forgot it.

12. Went below average. Didn't know where the case was going. Although I was able to reach 3 diagnosis but I am not sure how correct were they. I also had 3-4 supporting points each.

Any input would be helpful.

I didn't ask a structured ROS for every single patient and I am now worried that I may have missed hidden, underlying ddx that I may have discovered otherwise. Ex. acute CP in young female - if i had asked joint pain and she said yes, could I have uncovered pericarditis 2/2 lupus?

1. Hey all, just wanted to see what you guys thought of the mistakes I made during the exam.

In one encounter, pt told said he had an allergy to something but in my haste on the note, wrote that he had none...

In another patient I wrote that lungs were clear bilaterally in haste and bc of carelessness but when I was listening to lungs, the exam was hindered by a particular sign/symptom. Otherwise I documented the exam accurately. How much would they ding me for this?

I also performed the physical exam from the left side in many of the patients but did the maneuvers correctly...how much would this affect me?
    So frustrating to think about all the little mistakes...

Members don't see this ad :)
  1. Hey all, just wanted to see what you guys thought of the mistakes I made during the exam.

In one encounter, pt told said he had an allergy to something but in my haste on the note, wrote that he had none...

In another patient I wrote that lungs were clear bilaterally in haste and bc of carelessness but when I was listening to lungs, the exam was hindered by a particular sign/symptom. Otherwise I documented the exam accurately. How much would they ding me for this?

I also performed the physical exam from the left side in many of the patients but did the maneuvers correctly...how much would this affect me?
    So frustrating to think about all the little mistakes...
I would fail you for posting this question in every USMLE 2CS thread. You need to relax.

Reactions: 1 user