Step 2 CK after ERAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

azjfrankl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I could not find this answered elsewhere on the boards, although it may be around... I scored very well on step 1 and will take step 2 after my ERAS application is in. Do most programs expect to receive the score when it comes back to me (likely after most of my interviews have been completed)? Does a somewhat lower percentile performance on step 2 CK compared to step 1 typically affect program rank lists if they receive the score after sending out interviews?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

If you are a US grad, they generally just want to know that you passed, though a substantial drop in scores may raise some red flags. If you're in the same general range as Step 1, people likely won't care that much. But you should transmit your scores before ranking to prove that you passed.

I could not find this answered elsewhere on the boards, although it may be around... I scored very well on step 1 and will take step 2 after my ERAS application is in. Do most programs expect to receive the score when it comes back to me (likely after most of my interviews have been completed)? Does a somewhat lower percentile performance on step 2 CK compared to step 1 typically affect program rank lists if they receive the score after sending out interviews?

Thanks
It's primarily geography and type of med student dependent.

That is, if you're a foreign/international medical grad, you absolutely must have CK (AND CS) before anyone will consider you. Period. You otherwise stand zero chance of getting an interview in the vast majority of programs (due to concerns regarding delayed ECFMG certification).

If you're a US med student and did well on Step 1, chances are you don't need it to get the interview in just about any field, though that has changed in recent years to some programs preferring it. Most of those programs will have it listed on their website, so you can check the ones you're applying to.

On the other hand, when it comes time to rank (~February), many institutions have a requirement that you have to have Step 2 passed in order to be placed on the rank list. Places have been burned by people not passing in time for graduation and have set a hard stop there. Some institutions (iirc, some of the University of CA programs for example) flat out require it in every specialty.