Step 1 physiology resource for IMG (UK)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ugm12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. Just looking for recommendations for resources to learn physiology in prep for step 1. I'm an intern in the UK, so it has been a while since I studied physiology.

Any recommendations for comprehensive resources to learn phys for step 1?

Would Costanzo physiology be enough?

Many thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

All the physiology you need to know for NBME exams is in Uworld / FA. If you understand the basics, you can logic things out. That being said, rapid review phys is pretty good for concepts.

(I haven't done step yet, but about to in a week. Did 4 NBMEs and 2 uworlds though and physiology has not been an issue)

Ok thank you. Physiology is not taught well in UK medical schools. But you think I should be able to learn all the necessary phys just from UWorld and FA?

Members don't see this ad :)
You can an intern in the UK without having passed Step1? Not in the USA,,hmm
Hello everyone. Just looking for recommendations for resources to learn physiology in prep for step 1. I'm an intern in the UK, so it has been a while since I studied physiology.

Any recommendations for comprehensive resources to learn phys for step 1?

Would Costanzo physiology be enough?

Many thanks.

You can an intern in the UK without having passed Step1? Not in the USA,,hmm

Sorry I don't understand your comment. I'm a newly qualified doctor in the UK. Doing the english equivalent of an "intern". (we call it foundation year doctor over here) The US board "Step" exams obviously are not part of medical training in the UK.

I am an IMG, but not from the UK. Most IMGs use Kaplan physiology lecture note+videos/ BRS physiology. Costanzo is great, but I think it should be used only as reference for Step 1.

I am an IMG, but not from the UK. Most IMGs use Kaplan physiology lecture note+videos/ BRS physiology. Costanzo is great, but I think it should be used only as reference for Step 1.

Yes the Kaplan video series do look great. But cost $4000!!! And I'd only use the physiology section. I'll have a look at BRS phys. Thank you! Hope your step 1 prep is going well

Yes the Kaplan video series do look great. But cost $4000!!! And I'd only use the physiology section. I'll have a look at BRS phys. Thank you! Hope your step 1 prep is going well
You too. There is a website called Boards and Beyond, relatively new. It costs less than 150$ for a year. It You can check their free videos if you would like to have a video resource. The guy explains First Aid fairly well. I personally found it to be super helpful as a supplement . I am not trying to advertise or anything. I think you can do great without it, but it is helpful. I used Costanzo+BRS+Boards and Beyond for my physiology class. I really think that BRS+Boards and Beyond+Questions is all what is needed, in addition to Costanzo as a reference.

Last edited: