Step 1 in 10 days, fear of my NBME 19 score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gimv

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! Hope some people get to read this post and offer some insight, I'm really distraught.

This has been my progress so far:

Baseline NBME 18 (November 2016): 196
NBME 13 (February 11, 2017): 213
NBME 16 (March 3, 2017) 221
Finished my first round of uWorld with 73%
NBME 17 (March 25, 2017): 223 [very little progress in comparison with NBME 16, felt pretty down]
NBME 18 (April 5, 2017): 240
For reference, I took it in November by administrative mistake from my school. I never looked back at it because I knew I'd have to take it again in the long run, so I trust the validity of this grade.
UWSA 1 (April 29, 2017): 251

and then...

NBME 19 (May 5, 2017): 217.

My exam is May 16. I'm feeling pretty down and my confidence is inexistent right now. Moving the test date is not an option for me, I start Internal Medicine rotations next week. I am aiming for a 240, nothing special, and NBME 18 and UWSA 1 had given me some hope (although UW tends to overestimate, so I've heard).

I don't know what my question is, really, I'd just love any insight on how NBME 19 has worked for you guys or any progress made in the very last week before your test.

Thank you in advance to everyone who answers

Members don't see this ad.

I'm feeling pretty down and my confidence is inexistent right now.

You are hurting yourself with self-doubt. You have done well as to trending upwards. Focus on that, ignore the 19, and chest out, shoulders back, head up. Your date is fixed, so you say, so march forward with gusto

Avoid alcohol, sleep well, no benzos or sleep aids, exercise and eat healthy. Youll be done before you know it

Believe in yourself. I'll say a prayer for you.

Reactions: 3 users
Hi everyone! Hope some people get to read this post and offer some insight, I'm really distraught.

NBME 17 (March 25, 2017): 223 [very little progress in comparison with NBME 16, felt pretty down]
For reference, I took it in November by administrative mistake from my school. I never looked back at it because I knew I'd have to take it again in the long run, so I trust the validity of this grade.

and then...

My exam is May 16. I'm feeling pretty down and my confidence is inexistent right now. Moving the test date is not an option for me, I start Internal Medicine rotations next week. I am aiming for a 240, nothing special, and NBME 18 and UWSA 1 had given me some hope (although UW tends to overestimate, so I've heard).

I don't know what my question is, really, I'd just love any insight on how NBME 19 has worked for you guys or any progress made in the very last week before your test.

Any updates if NMBE 19 was predictive? Freaking out here, lol

It looks like that was an outlier, which could have been due to a myriad of things. The overall trend, however, looks promising. I think you'll do well.

If you're asking for personal experience (which I wouldn't put TOO much weight in), I made the most progress in my last week.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It looks like that was an outlier, which could have been due to a myriad of things. The overall trend, however, looks promising. I think you'll do well.

If you're asking for personal experience (which I wouldn't put TOO much weight in), I made the most progress in my last week.
Please be my experience!! How much of a jump and what did you do differently?

Around ~ 10 points. I don't know if I did anything differently, as much as I just got more comfortable with the wording. To understand the step, you have to understand how they like to phrase questions. I initially got a lot of questions wrong because I couldn't decipher the question stem.

If it's any consolation, I took an nbme 3wks before and scored a 225. Got a 249 on the real thing.

Reactions: 2 users
You are hurting yourself with self-doubt. You have done well as to trending upwards. Focus on that, ignore the 19, and chest out, shoulders back, head up. Your date is fixed, so you say, so march forward with gusto

Avoid alcohol, sleep well, no benzos or sleep aids, exercise and eat healthy. Youll be done before you know it

Believe in yourself. I'll say a prayer for you.
Thank you kind internet stranger. I took the test on Tuesday, hopefully it went well.

Thanks! Took my test on Tuesday, not exactly sure how it went, hopefully well. Freakinf out at the moment. My last week was pretty dull as I had already started Internal Medicine rotations and I felt so burnt out from all the studying! Right now I'm not worried as much of NBME 19 as I'm worried about passing, it's a horrible feeling, this Post-Step1 state.

and then...

how did your step 1 go ?

If you don't mind me asking, what did you do during that last week?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I did the same things - reviewed notes and incorrects. I just got more and more comfortable with the way they phrase questions as I continued. You should always be thinking to yourself, "How would they ask this?"

Hey! Hadn't seen this comment, sorry for the late reply. It was good, 238. I'm at peace with my grade but definitely working much harder for CK.
hey just curious how many did you get wrong in nbme 17?