Stats of Applicants to Irish schools and Acceptance, Waitlist or Rejection

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys,

Got a question about the Irish (ABP) schools in regards to the application timeline and acceptances.

Several years ago I applied to the 3 Title-IV-funded 4-year schools (UCD, RCSI, and Cork); got my apps in around March, I think, which I was told was late-but-still-OK. My GPA was near their average and my MCAT was much higher than average, plus I have plenty on my rez... I kinda thought I was a shoe-in and was totally horrified when I received my three flat-out rejections in, like, June.

I've now decided to apply again; through a casual conversation with one of the admissions counselors (who're all especially nice, BTW, aren't they?), it came up that I'd applied super late last time and that, even though they, ummm, happily took my application fees, I suppose, my apps were basically throw-aways... I'm majorly misquoting, of course, but that was the gist of what I was able to infer. They agreed to use my now-expired MCAT as a "stand-in" (for the RSCI interviews, in particular), especially considering it was a high score and I subsequently taught/tutored MCAT till the 528-change-over.

Because the new 528 version is now only given a few times a year, however, I was only able to get an April test-date, which they assured me would be fine; I'm worried, however, that I'm looking at a repeat of my previous experience, as my scores won't even be released till late-April/early-May.

So my question's two-fold...
1) Has anyone had a POSITIVE experience with late admissions to the ABP schools (particularly in regards to late MCATs)?
2) Is there a reason - i.e., a reason that negatively impacts American applicants - that nearly all ABP students are Canadian? Do these Irish schools have affiliations, for instance, with pre-med programs at various Canadian schools, and thus one's chances of acceptance as an American grad are much lower (i.e., like how it's way easier to get into an Ivy coming from a fancy prep-school than your plain-old zone high school)?

Thanks so much in advance. I'm still applying (already have!) and am still gonna sit for the April exam, but I just wanted some feedback on the process... In order, I suppose, to guage whether my hopes are moot.

Troll Disclaimer: Please don't reply if you plan to mention any of the following...
- I shouldn't be a doctor if I can't get into a US school.
- I should apply to DO instead... I have, was accepted to several, and chose to apply to foreign-MD instead, mostly 'cause I'm about to finalize my EU-nation citizenship and I'm planning to move to Europe indefinitely (where the DO degree does not confer physician status).
- I should apply to the Caribbean. I hate the heat and am turned off to for-profit schools with disturbingly high attrition rates. And, as I said, I'm planning a future in Europe.
- Ummmm I dunno, anything else meant to intimidate or discourage me and other thread-followers that's not based in reality? Anything troll-like?

~ THANKS AGAIN!!! ~

Hi, I am a British citizen who plans to work in Europe long term but I am going to DO school. You can become a consultant in 7 years in the USA rather than in the 12+ years it takes to do the same thing in the UK or Ireland. The General Medical Council accepts most if not all DO schools as suitable primary medical qualifications and US residencies are also recognized. Ireland does not recognize a DO degree so I understand your dilemma if you want to work in Ireland (if so, research the junior doctor crisis there. Irish are emigrating to Australia en masse.)

As for the reason there are more Canadians in Ireland (and Australia for that matter), it is because it is far more competitive in Canada due to less seats which is then compounded by not having DO as a fallback option. Then add in the fact it is widely considered that going IMG is limiting (even for EU citizens) as it prevents you from working in the country that has the most jobs and highest salaries. And that explains relatively lower numbers of American students.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone,

I'm combing through the pages on here and I just wanted to clarify something.

1. Do only RCSI and Limerick do interviews?
2. It looks from this thread as if interview invities to the above 2 schools come out in early February?
3. The other schools do not interview? One should expect either an acceptance or rejection letter only?
4. When do UCC/ Trinity/ UCD generally send out acceptances to North American applicants who completed everything by the fall deadline?

Thanks! Just looking to get a sense of when I should anticipate to hear something.

1. Yes, unless something changes this year.
2. RSCI interview invitations usually come out in February. Limerick has usually sent theirs out in March.
3. Yes - accept or reject only
4. They have rolling acceptances, so acceptance / rejection letters are sent out anywhere between February and August.

What are the chances for someone with a 3.75 GPA and equivalent of the old 28Q? (plus TONS Of research, pubs, ECs)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,
I was just looking to get some feed back from everyone on potential outlook on acceptance into the 5-year programs in Ireland (as I am only in my second year of my program).

I'm originally from Canada
My country of citizenship is: Canada and Ireland
Currently studying: undergrad (Medical Sciences)
At this University: Brock University
My GPA is: GPA 3.90 (Using Ontario Medschool Criteria) Highschool average: 93%
I have not written any MCAT or standardized tests, and wont be before April 2016.

I applied to: NUIG, UCC, TCD
I was accepted to:
I was waitlisted at:
I was rejected from:

EC/Distinctions:
-Volunteer at local hospital (4 years, 1000+ hours)
-Volunteer within community non-profit organizations (couldn't say how many hours or years.. probably roughly 8 years)
-President of university live music group
-Sing in regional choir
-Member of my University's MedPlus program
-Lifeguard, and swimming instructor
-Year long Rotary Youth Exchange to Argentina
-Summer long research-internship in Sydney Australia
-Two week long mission trip to the Dominican Republic

I have applied to medical schools this many times: 1

Mainly looking to apply to the 5 years programs (as this is all I am qualified for)

Hey guys,
I was just looking to get some feed back from everyone on potential outlook on acceptance into the 5-year programs in Ireland (as I am only in my second year of my program).

I'm originally from Canada
My country of citizenship is: Canada and Ireland
Currently studying: undergrad (Medical Sciences)
At this University: Brock University
My GPA is: GPA 3.90 (Using Ontario Medschool Criteria) Highschool average: 93%
I have not written any MCAT or standardized tests, and wont be before April 2016.

I applied to: NUIG, UCC, TCD
I was accepted to:
I was waitlisted at:
I was rejected from:

EC/Distinctions:
-Volunteer at local hospital (4 years, 1000+ hours)
-Volunteer within community non-profit organizations (couldn't say how many hours or years.. probably roughly 8 years)
-President of university live music group
-Sing in regional choir
-Member of my University's MedPlus program
-Lifeguard, and swimming instructor
-Year long Rotary Youth Exchange to Argentina
-Summer long research-internship in Sydney Australia
-Two week long mission trip to the Dominican Republic

Mainly looking to apply to the 5 years programs (as this is all I am qualified for)
Take the MCAT and apply in Canada. Your OMSAS GPA makes you competitive at all schools as long as you score in the 82nd + percentile on the MCAT. Is there a reason you have not taken the exam?

Does anyone know if the Atlantic Bridge has any timeline or up to date info about the admission process for each school? I find the website is vague and when I called all they said was over the next few weeks. They also told me there are no interviews for UCD but as per this forum and people I know, there were UCD interviews last year?
I just feel like there's a lack of info.
I'd like to know when UCD sends out interview invites? And when RCSI stops sending theirs?

Take the MCAT and apply in Canada. Your OMSAS GPA makes you competitive at all schools as long as you score in the 82nd + percentile on the MCAT. Is there a reason you have not taken the exam?

Im just finishing my second year, If I were to write them I would be doing so this summer. There is no specific reason that I haven't written so far just haven't been enjoying my program (not much critical thinking, or problem based learning). Also even with my grades there really is no guarantee acceptance next year. That weighed in with potentially getting out a year earlier and earning a years salary. Also at this time paying for tuition is not a problem for me financially.

Im just finishing my second year, If I were to write them I would be doing so this summer. There is no specific reason that I haven't written so far just haven't been enjoying my program (not much critical thinking, or problem based learning). Also even with my grades there really is no guarantee acceptance next year. That weighed in with potentially getting out a year earlier and earning a years salary. Also at this time paying for tuition is not a problem for me financially.
Paying 80grand a year for tuition alone in Ireland is not a positive thing. I always see young people like yourself freaking out about getting into med school when they haven't even tried yet...

You are doing well academically, just write the MCAT and try your luck in Canada. Honestly you would be doing yourself a HUGE disservice for not even trying.

EVEN IF YOU DONT WANT TO GO IN CANADA, write your MCAT and graduate your program so that you can apply to the 4 year GEM Irish programs.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I agree with the above that everyone should try 1 cycle in their home country. If you get no interviews at all, it's likely a sign to look elsewhere because you need to make big changes in your stats or application package to go from 0 interviews to an admission the next cycle. However, if you get one or two interviews, you know you have what it takes and it might mean some minor changes like doing a bit more research or prepping for interviews better. I think the fight to get back to North America from abroad is very tough, and ultimately you might not match at all or nowhere close to what you want to do as a career, so to be fair to yourself try once in your country.

With your GPA you are competitive at every Ontario school, even without your MCAT especially if you raised ur GPA past 3.9 next year you would have a decent chance at Ottawa U

I don't know if people are still doing this but...
I'm from: Alberta
My country of citizenship is: Canadian
Currently studying: BSc
At this University: MacEwan University
My GPA is: 3.9
My MCAT Scores were: did not write

I applied to: RCSI, UCD, UCC, NUI, James Cook University
I was accepted at: RCSI, James Cook University
I was waitlisted at:
I was rejected from: Have not heard from the other schools yet

My first choice school is: RCSI, University of Alberta

Anyone else going to RCSI for the 2016 intake? I would like to hear about where you are staying and it would be nice to have friends for when I go!

I don't know if people are still doing this but...
I'm from: Alberta
My country of citizenship is: Canadian
Currently studying: BSc
At this University: MacEwan University
My GPA is: 3.9
My MCAT Scores were: did not write

I applied to: RCSI, UCD, UCC, NUI, James Cook University
I was accepted at: RCSI, James Cook University
I was waitlisted at:
I was rejected from: Have not heard from the other schools yet

My first choice school is: RCSI, University of Alberta

Anyone else going to RCSI for the 2016 intake? I would like to hear about where you are staying and it would be nice to have friends for when I go!

UofA doesn't need MCAT?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah it does, but I have only completed one semester of university so thats why I can't apply there yet.

Oh I see, but why did you put it as your first choice? I was confused I guess, you just wish you could go there but you didn't apply right.

Oh I see, but why did you put it as your first choice? I was confused I guess, you just wish you could go there but you didn't apply right.
Yeah, I don't like the American/Canadian system of completing a potentially useless undergrad degree so I applied abroad. U of A would've been my very first choice out of all med schools but it didn't seem viable to me.

Yeah, I don't like the American/Canadian system of completing a potentially useless undergrad degree so I applied abroad. U of A would've been my very first choice out of all med schools but it didn't seem viable to me.

I totally get you.

Has anyone heard anything from any of the Dental schools?

Also not sure if this is still going, but I just found it so what the hey:

I'm from: California
My country of citizenship is: USA
Currently studying: Nope. Currently working as a Medical Assistant in a primary care office. BA is in Integrative Biology from...
At this University: UC Berkeley
My GPA is: 3.26
My MCAT Scores were: Physical Sciences: 12 Verbal: 11
Biological Sciences: 13

I applied to: RCSI, Trinity, UCD, UCC, NUIG
I was accepted at: RCSI
I was waitlisted at: None yet
I was rejected from: None yet

My first choice school is: RCSI (or Dartmouth if they ever get back to me)

I have applied to medical schools this many times: 1 time in the past, this is my second attempt

Degree: BS in Biochemistry
My GPA is: 3.6
My MCAT is: 32
I applied to: RCSI, UCD, UCC
I was accepted at: UCD
I was waitlisted at: None yet
I was rejected from: None yet (RCSI, I guess)
My first choice school is: None. Got into US MD!
I have applied to medical schools this many times: 2

Last edited by a moderator:
I am student applying to the 6 year program , currently in highschool with an 88% average , can someone please tell me my chances at this ? I have a lot of volunteer experience at physiotherapy clinics and have a lot of ECS

Hey when did you get accepted into UCD? First person I've seen get a response. Congratulations on your acceptance into the States btw.
It was in late March. Thanks. There's another person here that got into UCD.

Last edited by a moderator:
hi guys just wondering if i could get some good advise, i've completed a bachelors degree in my overall GPA is 3.02, but my last years are 3.5 and 3.6 with last two semesters at 4.0. My first yer courses messed me up but not b/c i couldn't do the work but for other unforeseen circumstances. I did the MCAT last minute and studied for only a month and got a 485, which is really low. Any chance i'll be able to apply and get into Ireland. My High school marks were high with an overall avg of about 88%. What should i do to get into Ireland or Australia?

hi guys just wondering if i could get some good advise, i've completed a bachelors degree in my overall GPA is 3.02, but my last years are 3.5 and 3.6 with last two semesters at 4.0. My first yer courses messed me up but not b/c i couldn't do the work but for other unforeseen circumstances. I did the MCAT last minute and studied for only a month and got a 485, which is really low. Any chance i'll be able to apply and get into Ireland. My High school marks were high with an overall avg of about 88%. What should i do to get into Ireland or Australia?

You should retake the MCAT and score much higher. No Australian or Irish school will take a 485. Shoot for 50o plus for Australia and 508 plus for Ireland.

I want to apply to a 5 year program. My stats are 3.7 overall gpa and a 3.2 sc gpa.
Ive done lots of volunteer work and shadowing. I also shadowed doctors overseas. I completed research as well. What schools should I apply to? Thanks!
I'm a student from the states.

Last edited:
Hey everyone!

Here are my stats:

Citizenship: Canadian & Italian
GPA: 2.74 (with an upward trend, I have As in all my current subjects)
MCAT: 499 (this was without studying much, so if I retook it I'm confident I can do very well)

ECs: President of 1 club, VP of another, exec of another, research experience abroad (got a grant from uni for this, oral presentation and poster presentation), 2 summers as a research student at a hospital, clinical shadowing, service trip abroad, 800+ hours of volunteering as international language instructor's assistant

Paid work: international language instructor at the local school board, retail

Reference letters: 4. From 2 research supervisors, department coordinator, and doctor I shadowed.

What are my chances for the 4-year programs in Ireland? I realize my academics are low, but I had some personal struggles which negatively impacted my GPA, which I explain in my personal statement.

Hey everyone!

Here are my stats:

Citizenship: Canadian & Italian
GPA: 2.74 (with an upward trend, I have As in all my current subjects)
MCAT: 499 (this was without studying much, so if I retook it I'm confident I can do very well)

ECs: President of 1 club, VP of another, exec of another, research experience abroad (got a grant from uni for this, oral presentation and poster presentation), 2 summers as a research student at a hospital, clinical shadowing, service trip abroad, 800+ hours of volunteering as international language instructor's assistant

Paid work: international language instructor at the local school board, retail

Reference letters: 4. From 2 research supervisors, department coordinator, and doctor I shadowed.

What are my chances for the 4-year programs in Ireland? I realize my academics are low, but I had some personal struggles which negatively impacted my GPA, which I explain in my personal statement.

With your GPA and MCAT being below average, it might hurt your application. The Irish schools have become much more competitive over the past few years. That being said you have good ECs and a good variety of reference letters. Hopefully those carry you through. If you're not successful this cycle, I would look to applying to the 5/6 year programs with your high school grades.

Hi there!
My stats are as follows:
Canadian
University Graduate - Hon. B.Sc.
GPA - 3.68
MCAT - 504
Numerous athletic/non-athletic extra curriculars
Presently undertaking a College Degree in a Health Science related field
Volunteer in the Canadian Armed Forces

What are my chances?

I'm from: Ontario, Canada - but I have been living in the USA for 5 years
My country of citizenship is: Canada
Studied: Bachelor of Music in Music Therapy, Minor in Psychology Cum Laude
At this University: Graduated from Berklee College of Music 2016
My GPA is: 3.67
My MCAT is: 504

I applied to: RCSI, UCD, UCC, TCD, NUIG, RCSI-B, UL (Ireland) - McMaster, Western, NOSM, Memorial (Canada)
I was waitlisted at: None
I was rejected from: McMaster, Western, NOSM, Memorial

I accepted my RCSI Offer

I'm from: Calgary
University: Calgary
My GPA is: 3.7ish
My MCAT Scores were: 509

Lots of volunteering, clinical work experience, research...

I applied to: Limerick, Cork, Calgary
I was accepted at: Limerick
I was waitlisted at: Maybe Cork?
I was rejected from: Calgary

Technically since I applied after my Calgary rejection, Limerick was my #1 choice. Accepting this offer and very excited to go

I'm from: Ontario, Canada - but I have been living in the USA for 5 years
Studied: Bachelor of Music in Music Therapy, Minor in Psychology Cum Laude
At this University: Graduated from Berklee College of Music 2016
My GPA is: 3.67
My MCAT is: 504

I applied to: RCSI, UCD, UCC, TCD, NUIG, RCSI-B, UL (Ireland) - McMaster, Western, NOSM, Memorial (Canada)
I was waitlisted at: None
I was rejected from: McMaster, Western, NOSM, Memorial

I accepted my RCSI Offer

Living in the US...why on earth didn't you apply to US schools?

I'm from: Calgary
University: Calgary
My GPA is: 3.7ish
My MCAT Scores were: 509

Lots of volunteering, clinical work experience, research...

I applied to: Limerick, Cork, Calgary
I was accepted at: Limerick
I was waitlisted at: Maybe Cork?
I was rejected from: Calgary

Technically since I applied after my Calgary rejection, Limerick was my #1 choice. Accepting this offer and very excited to go

Your stats are decent enough to maybe get into a US school and avoid the mess of being an IMG..

Your stats are decent enough to maybe get into a US school and avoid the mess of being an IMG..
I would have applied to US MD as well as DO schools but I'm missing several required courses. I didn't do them because I'm already 28 and wanted to get on with my life. Also, I have an EU passport

Living in the US...why on earth didn't you apply to US schools?
My undergrad degree is exceptionally non traditional - I have a lot of clinical experience - but my music background was going to make applying in the US a challenge. I heard that Ireland would have a more holistic application approach. Additionally, I’ve lived in the US for 5 years in multiple parts of the country and I’m ready to get out.

My undergrad degree is exceptionally non traditional - I have a lot of clinical experience - but my music background was going to make applying in the US a challenge. I heard that Ireland would have a more holistic application approach. Additionally, I’ve lived in the US for 5 years in multiple parts of the country and I’m ready to get out.
Taking an extra year to do the pre-reqs and secure a US medical school seat would save you a whole lot of heartache and trouble down the line if you choose to go to a non-North American school

I would have applied to US MD as well as DO schools but I'm missing several required courses. I didn't do them because I'm already 28 and wanted to get on with my life. Also, I have an EU passport
So essentially all you need is a few courses, and can't wait an extra year? An EU passport isn't necessarily going to make things easier if your goal is to come back to North America to practice. You'll essentially gaurantee yourself a residency if you attended a USMD/DO program, even if you end up being the bottom of your class etc. Far less pressure and in the grand scheme 1 year is not alot of time.

So essentially all you need is a few courses, and can't wait an extra year? An EU passport isn't necessarily going to make things easier if your goal is to come back to North America to practice. You'll essentially gaurantee yourself a residency if you attended a USMD/DO program, even if you end up being the bottom of your class etc. Far less pressure and in the grand scheme 1 year is not alot of time.
Sure, all valid points. But I determined, based on numerous factors, that attending school abroad now is a better option for me

I'm from: NJ/PA, USA
Studied: Bachelor of Science in Environmental Science; Masters of Science in Environmental Science; 2 classes of post-bacc studies
At this University: Prefer not to say
My GPA is: undergrad 3.54, grad 3.83, postbacc 3.64
My MCAT is: none, did not take

I applied to: 5 year NUIG and TCD
I was accepted at: NUIG
I was waitlisted at:
I was rejected from:

Accepted NUIG offer and withdrew app from TCD (too expensive!)

My first choice school is: NUIG!

I have applied to medical schools this many times: This is the first time.

Last edited:
Taking an extra year to do the pre-reqs and secure a US medical school seat would save you a whole lot of heartache and trouble down the line if you choose to go to a non-North American school
That’s why we are two different people who make two different decisions based on what is going to work best for them. I’m my eyes this is the choice that I feel is best for me, both in the long term and the short term. Also, I’m pretty done with the US for now. I’ve been here on a student visa, and now a temp specialized work visa. You’re right about taking prerequisites and then trying for a US school, it would save me some hurdles down the line. And a year is no time in the grand scheme - and what you are suggesting is something I definitely considered. But that would not have worked well for me because of some environmental factors. In the end I’m happy with my choice.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm from: Ontario, Canada
Currently studying: Just finished a B.Sc in Biomed
At this University: University of Waterloo
My GPA is: 3.3 overall but the my 4th year was a 3.9
My MCAT Scores were: Never wrote it

I applied to: NUIG 5 yr
I was accepted at: NUIG 5 yr

I have applied to medical schools this many times: 1st time

Good luck everyone!

I'm from: Ontario, Canada
Currently studying: Just finished a B.Sc in Biomed
At this University: University of Waterloo
My GPA is: 3.3 overall but the my 4th year was a 3.9
My MCAT Scores were: Never wrote it

I applied to: NUIG 5 yr
I was accepted at: NUIG 5 yr

I have applied to medical schools this many times: 1st time

Good luck everyone!
Hi,
And congratulations,
I wondered if you could tell me about your interview and who interviewed you, ? Physician , ?
I am in high school applying this coming year, 6 year program , any info would help.
Thank you.

Likewise, fresh out of high school adn going for nuig or rsci mub with 88% overall

Hi,
And congratulations,
I wondered if you could tell me about your interview and who interviewed you, ? Physician , ?
I am in high school applying this coming year, 6 year program , any info would help.
Thank you.

Hey there,
I don't believe NUIG has interviews. I didn't have to do one anyways.

I'm from: San Francisco, CA
My country of citizenship is: US
Currently studying: Biology and Philosophy
At this University: University of Chicago
My GPA is: 3.4
My MCAT Scores were:
Physical Sciences: 9 Verbal:11 Biological Sciences:11 Written Sample:R

I applied to: Trinity, UCD, RCSI, UCC
I was accepted at: RCSI (GEP)
I was waitlisted at: none
I was rejected from: UCD
Haven't heard from UCC and Trinity yet, but I think those are rejections

My first choice school is: EVMS, but RCSI came a close second

I have applied to medical schools this many times:1

I placed for my deposit for RCSI and am currently in Dublin scoping out the school and the area. Also, trying not to think about the quarter mil of debt that I will have to pay off... I'm currently on the wait list in two places in the states (EVMS and Albany), so looks like I'll probably go to RCSI (definately not a bad thing from my experience here).
Hi Grape,
Wondered if you would share your thoughts on RCSI with me,
I am applying in Aug for 2019, 6 year program.
Also did you have luck finding accommodation.
Thank you and looking forward to hearing from you.
I am from Texas US

Hi all,

If you are interested in applying to AB and would like to know what your chances are, please consider posting in the thread I just made to accomodate this topic:
Atlantic Bridge- "Official" What are my chances? (And advice) Thread

I hope we can use this thread as a way to answer future AB applicant questions and keep the answers archived in one place, so everyone can refer to it as time goes on. This way, we can keep other threads focused too.

(I will delete this post later to minimize the spam.)

Hey guys! I've applied to ABP 2019 entry to 4 and 5-year programs! My stats are here, please let me know if I stand a chance, haha!

Canadian
Applied to all
~3.9 GPA and 512 MCAT.
Strong LOR's and have plenty of volunteering, leadership (Held presidential and vice presidential roles in major university clubs and have made quite an impact in the Faculty of Science), and research attributes (HIV and antibiotic resistance research).

Hoping to get into this holistic approach as well! Canadian med schools are so competitive.

Best of luck to everyone applying!

Hello,

I applied to RCSI as that is the school AB suggested. I had a rough two years starting college which dragged my cum GPA down but AB told me due to my last two years and that Irish schools look at your most recent course work, which for me is science.
2.8 cum gpa Science 3.50
Last two semesters have been 3.5 or better.
Great letters, 4-years as a medical assistant, volunteer work with disabled and homeless veterans. 8-years in the US Army.
Hoping that Atlantic Bridge is right that my experiences and current grades will carry me over.

Hello,

I applied to RCSI as that is the school AB suggested. I had a rough two years starting college which dragged my cum GPA down but AB told me due to my last two years and that Irish schools look at your most recent course work, which for me is science.
2.8 cum gpa Science 3.50
Last two semesters have been 3.5 or better.
Great letters, 4-years as a medical assistant, volunteer work with disabled and homeless veterans. 8-years in the US Army.
Hoping that Atlantic Bridge is right that my experiences and current grades will carry me over.
Do they consider your last two years of coursework GPA? I didn't know that. I thought schools will consider your cumulative GPA?

Is this a fact?