Stats of Applicants to Irish schools and Acceptance, Waitlist or Rejection

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I received an interview invite for the 4 year RCSI program yesterday. When I called to schedule my interview this morning, one of the two dates they invited me to was already booked solid (15 minutes after the office opened).

35 MCAT (11PS,12VR,12BS), 3.32 GPA from top-tier liberal arts college, US citizenship, graduated in 2012 with BS in Psychology + concentration in medical humanities. Have been working in healthcare policy research for a Harvard Medical School professor since graduating. Significant clinical experience, including 2000 hours as an EMT during college.
Why would you not apply to a USMD school with those stats? Your chances of getting in anywhere are very good with your numbers?

Members don't see this ad.

Why would you not apply to a USMD school with those stats? Your chances of getting in anywhere are very good with your numbers?

Not to mention USDO schools. USMD might be a tough cell depending on the state they are from, but maybe they could get some bites.

Not to mention USDO schools. USMD might be a tough cell depending on the state they are from, but maybe they could get some bites.

This is my second year applying. I have received US MD interviews both years, but no acceptances (except St. George's University in Grenada). I have no real home state (my native state disowned me as soon as I filed taxes in another, the new state won't claim me for five years). I did not apply to DO schools my first year and only applied to a few this year (no word). Something about going to a school that includes a module on pseudoscience bothers me more than perhaps it should. I am pretty certain I could get in in the US if I did an official post-bacc, but am not keen on waiting the additional time.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is my second year applying. I have received US MD interviews both years, but no acceptances (except St. George's University in Grenada). I have no real home state (my native state disowned me as soon as I filed taxes in another, the new state won't claim me for five years). I did not apply to DO schools my first year and only applied to a few this year (no word). Something about going to a school that includes a module on pseudoscience bothers me more than perhaps it should. I am pretty certain I could get in in the US if I did an official post-bacc, but am not keen on waiting the additional time.
1) you are an idiot if you can't simply wait to get into a U.S. school.
2) manipulative medicine is not pseudoscience. It has been proven to work in many instances.

Reactions: 1 user

Haha, an SGU acceptance isn't an USMD acceptance.

Sure thing, have fun abroad- I've given up trying to help people get over their underlying MD vs DO issues and issues with patience.

Best of luck.

1) you are an idiot if you can't simply wait to get into a U.S. school.
2) manipulative medicine is not pseudoscience. It has been proven to work in many instances.

As an accepted USDO student, while I agree OMM is not pseudo-science - I definitely can see that it is not everyone's cup of tea.

But that isn't the point, if you are a person who doesn't like OMM or have any use for it - no one forces you to use it once you graduate and get into a US residency. It forms a minimal part of your education during the 4 years at most schools. Taking a foreign school, based purely on the how the system is set up for residencies, over a USDO school - is a bad idea for the majority of applicants. People with special circumstances or considerations, then it's a different story. But that is the very small % of applicants.

Haha, an SGU acceptance isn't an USMD acceptance.

Sure thing, have fun abroad- I've given up trying to help people get over their underlying MD vs DO issues and issues with patience.

Best of luck.

I am aware that SGU is a far cry from a US MD acceptance and may well do a post-bacc and try to stay in the US rather than go there if that is my choice.

I am also aware than OMM is a relatively small component of the DO curriculum and that many/most DOs do not use it. I said OMM is pseudoscience because I was unable to find any clinical trials demonstrating efficacy through a rather lengthy PubMed search and found articles from several proponents stating that because OMM is personalized, it is not well suited to RCTs. That sounds like a pseudoscience dodge to me. If you can present some strong evidence that it works (observational trials don't cut it), I will be happy to change my mind.

Furthermore, there are some pretty questionable DO schools. The top few seem to provide a strong education, but some of the others are only placing people at affiliated hospitals and being trounced by SGU on the boards (although SGU has a much higher attrition rate).

The Irish schools seem to provide a strong education and their students match well. While the foreign numbers overall are quite poor, the Irish schools seem to be on par with the DOs in terms of match rate.

Patience is a fair point and I have certainly been thinking about that. Also, saying I know I would get in after a post-bacc is fairly meaningless, as no one can ever be certain.

I am aware that SGU is a far cry from a US MD acceptance and may well do a post-bacc and try to stay in the US rather than go there if that is my choice.

I am also aware than OMM is a relatively small component of the DO curriculum and that many/most DOs do not use it. I said OMM is pseudoscience because I was unable to find any clinical trials demonstrating efficacy through a rather lengthy PubMed search and found articles from several proponents stating that because OMM is personalized, it is not well suited to RCTs. That sounds like a pseudoscience dodge to me. If you can present some strong evidence that it works (observational trials don't cut it), I will be happy to change my mind.

Furthermore, there are some pretty questionable DO schools. The top few seem to provide a strong education, but some of the others are only placing people at affiliated hospitals and being trounced by SGU on the boards (although SGU has a much higher attrition rate).

The Irish schools seem to provide a strong education and their students match well. While the foreign numbers overall are quite poor, the Irish schools seem to be on par with the DOs in terms of match rate.

Patience is a fair point and I have certainly been thinking about that. Also, saying I know I would get in after a post-bacc is fairly meaningless, as no one can ever be certain.

I can see some fair points, good luck.

I wouldn't say that Osteopaths are trying to dodge clinical trials in regards to OMM, but it is very variable depending on the patient and the physician. There are many current studies involving OMM, some of which are approaching the sample size of clinical trials (MSUCOM has some prof's that do a lot of this research).

The match rate for DO's is far higher than that of any US IMG. You cannot accept the foreign school's stats as those are always biased. You have to calculate from the number of students that start any given year at a particular school and see how many of those match in 4 (or 5) years. It is well known that these schools fail many students and prevent many from even taking the boards. They also hold a large number back.

Apply early next cycle and to the correct schools. You should def be able to get in somewhere with those stats unless you have a red flag you are not telling us about.

Good luck OP.

Hello all,

I'm a first year medical sciences student at Western University (Ontario), and I applied to the 5 year program at TCD, UCD, UCC, and NUIG last fall. Last week (on april 2nd) I received an offer of admission from Galway. I was wondering whether I should expect possibly another offer, as Galway is only giving me 3 weeks to send my acceptance form and the 4000 euro deposit. I obviously do not want to risk not accepting this offer, only to not get an offer from the other schools, but I would like your honest opinions in terms of my chances of getting another offer. My grade 12 average was 90% and my overall high school average was 92% and I finished my first semester at Western with an 84%. I believe both my reference letters were very strong (one from my chemistry teacher with a PhD, and the other from my English teacher who knew me very well). I have spoken to my parents, and they are more than willing to "sacrifice" the deposit to Galway in the event that I get in elsewhere (trinity, ucd or Cork). On a side note, if there are any current Canadian/American med students at Galway, let me know how you are liking the school, the town, etc. (out of all the schools and cities in Ireland, I am least familiar with Galway). Thanks in advance!

Hello all,

I'm a first year medical sciences student at Western University (Ontario), and I applied to the 5 year program at TCD, UCD, UCC, and NUIG last fall. Last week (on april 2nd) I received an offer of admission from Galway. I was wondering whether I should expect possibly another offer, as Galway is only giving me 3 weeks to send my acceptance form and the 4000 euro deposit. I obviously do not want to risk not accepting this offer, only to not get an offer from the other schools, but I would like your honest opinions in terms of my chances of getting another offer. My grade 12 average was 90% and my overall high school average was 92% and I finished my first semester at Western with an 84%. I believe both my reference letters were very strong (one from my chemistry teacher with a PhD, and the other from my English teacher who knew me very well). I have spoken to my parents, and they are more than willing to "sacrifice" the deposit to Galway in the event that I get in elsewhere (trinity, ucd or Cork). On a side note, if there are any current Canadian/American med students at Galway, let me know how you are liking the school, the town, etc. (out of all the schools and cities in Ireland, I am least familiar with Galway). Thanks in advance!

I would accept the offer. I honestly don't know much about NUIG but I'm just tired of waiting. Anyway, congrats, good luck, take your time and really think it through :)

im applying to ireland for med school and was wondering what my chances are considering i had a great high school GPA and my experience
High School GPA: 94%
University GPA: 76% (but i was sick last semester with anemia so my grades suffered tremendously and pulled my gpa down, but i didnt submit my last transcript so...)
I also just graduated with a bachelors of science

no MCAT (long story. plan on rewriting it at some point)

my father has suffered from 4 heart attacks and a quintuple bypass and heart disease runs in my family. so it is for that reason that i want to go into medicine. its all ive ever wanted to to do and is my passion.

ECs
- im co-author of a 300+ pg medical textbook
- have assisted angioplasty
- published twice in the american college of cardiology
- have worked at cardiac hospital for 5 years where i have shadowed open heart surgery medical conferencing, clinic, interventional caridology, etc.
- worked in a lab for a summer and was
- recently hired by a top researcher for this coming summer and possibly year if i dont get into medicine.
- I have volunteered at vet clinic for two years,
- graduated high school with top honours and top five in my grade,
- have been a member of a provincial and nationally ranked competitive cheerleading team for 8 years. - -founder of my own food drive that was written up about in the Canadian Jewish Newspaper,
- orientation volunteer at unviersity for 3 years,
- senior editor of my high school year book which won an award from the publishers,
- went on a humanitarian computer aid project in kenya,
- have tutored in spansih and calculus,
- speak french and spanish fluently,
- published and created 3 pediatric surgical guides for a hospital,
- leader in an anti-bullying campaign sponsored by the CFL,
- recipient of a national cheerleading scholarship for outstanding academics and athletics,
- went on an exchange in costa rica,
- and hospital volunteer in day surgery and emergency clinic

my letters of recommendation:
1) 1 from my chemistry teacher/vice principle in high school
2) 2 from my bosses (both doctors are well recognized in the field of cardiology) at the hospital i worked at
3) from my mentor who wrote from the perspective of a mother who's son went to trinity for medicine

For those of you in the future who want stats from 2015 cycle (will update as cycle continues):

I'm from: United States
My country of citizenship is: United States
Currently studying: Biology (BSc)
At this University: Murray State University
My GPA is: 3.77
My MCAT Scores were: PS: 1o VS: 8 BS: 9 Written: Not taken

I applied to: UCD, UCC, UL, NUI, RCSI, TCD
I was accepted at: RCSI
I was waitlisted at: UCD, UCC, UL, NUI, TCD
I was rejected from: None Yet

My first choice school is: RCSI or UCD

I have applied to medical schools this many times: 1

EC: 3000+ hours research experience in molecular biology/biochemistry. 2 Papers co-authored. 4 Poster Presentations (1 at Genetics Society of America Meeting). 2 Oral Presentations. Sigma Xi Excellence in Research Award. Semifinalist University Texas Southwestern McKnight Prize in Biochemistry. Minimal Volunteering. ~30 hours shadowing. EMT-B training. President of Biological Honours Society. Teaching Assistant 3 Years in Chemistry. Top 10% of Class.

Letter Recommendations:

1) Great Committee Letter
2) Letter from Supervisor (for TA),
3) Brilliant Letter from Principle Investigator.

If my stats tell you anything, it should be that Irish schools are brilliant at taking a holistic approach to applicants as opposed to Canadian or US MD Schools.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
i just called and am waitlisted at NUIG!!! my marks are not nearly competitive, but it goes to show you that ireland looks at much more than numbers on a transcript. otherwise i would have been rejected by now

For those of you in the future who want stats from 2015 cycle (will update as cycle continues):

I'm from: United States
My country of citizenship is: United States
Currently studying: Biology (BSc)
At this University: Murray State University
My GPA is: 3.77
My MCAT Scores were: PS: 1o VS: 8 BS: 9 Written: Not taken

I applied to: UCD, UCC, UL, NUI, RCSI, TCD
I was accepted at: RCSI
I was waitlisted at: UCD, UCC, UL, NUI, TCD
I was rejected from: None Yet

My first choice school is: RCSI or UCD

EC: 3000+ hours research experience in molecular biology/biochemistry. 2 Papers co-authored. 4 Poster Presentations (1 at Genetics Society of America Meeting). 2 Oral Presentations. Sigma Xi Excellence in Research Award. Semifinalist University Texas Southwestern McKnight Prize in Biochemistry. Minimal Volunteering. ~30 hours shadowing. EMT-B training. President of Biological Honours Society. Teaching Assistant 3 Years in Chemistry. Top 10% of Class.

Letter Recommendations:

1) Great Committee Letter
2) Letter from Supervisor (for TA),
3) Brilliant Letter from Principle Investigator.

If my stats tell you anything, it should be that Irish schools are brilliant at taking a holistic approach to applicants as opposed to Canadian or US MD Schools.

I mean you still had a great GPA. So Idk how holistic of an approach they took. You definitely would have been competitive for US DO schools with a 27 mcat and that GPA. Since you're from the U.S. not sure why you didn't try that route.

I mean you still had a great GPA. So Idk how holistic of an approach they took. You definitely would have been competitive for US DO schools with a 27 mcat and that GPA. Since you're from the U.S. not sure why you didn't try that route.

I did... Was rejected from all I applied to.

edit: did not apply DO*

Last edited:
I did... Was rejected from all I applied to.

Did you apply broadly enough or limited to your own state? I find that hard to believe unless you have some major red flag (this coming from an international student who could only apply to about 10 schools, compared to the nearly 3x more open to US students....) Did you receive any feedback about why no interviews?

Did you apply broadly enough or limited to your own state? I find that hard to believe unless you have some major red flag (this coming from an international student who could only apply to about 10 schools, compared to the nearly 3x more open to US students....) Did you receive any feedback about why no interviews?

I miss read that post- I did not apply to DO schools- didn't have an interest in doing so until I exhusted Irish school and 2nd round MD.

I applied to MD schools broadly, but ultimately was unsuccessful with only 2 interviews. One I had no feedback on, and the other suggested that my institution inflates grades (which is simply not true) as evidence by my higher GPA and low MCAT. My in-state schools did not look at me much (Illinois) SIU said no because I was from Northern illinois... And the schools in Chicago are pretty competitive and my MCAT and lack of volunteering hurt apparently (despite stellar research).

Last edited:
I miss read that post- I did not apply to DO schools- didn't have an interest in doing so until I exhusted Irish school and 2nd round MD.

I applied to MD schools broadly, but ultimately was unsuccessful with only 2 interviews. One I had no feedback on, and the other suggested that my institution inflates grades (which is simply not true) as evidence by my higher GPA and low MCAT. My in-state schools did not look at me much (Illinois) SIU said no because I was from Northern illinois... And the schools in Chicago are pretty competitive and my MCAT and lack of volunteering hurt apparently (despite stellar research).

I see, that makes sense then.

They actually suggested to you in the interview that your institution inflates grades? wow. Yea I don't think a 27 would cut it for any USMD schools unless you're a URM. The average is now like a 31. I'm getting my masters degree at a med school right now so I have a lot of friends in the MD program and no one I know had below a 32 here. This is a lower tier med school too.

They actually suggested to you in the interview that your institution inflates grades? wow. Yea I don't think a 27 would cut it for any USMD schools unless you're a URM. The average is now like a 31. I'm getting my masters degree at a med school right now so I have a lot of friends in the MD program and no one I know had below a 32 here. This is a lower tier med school too.

It could cut it at some public state schools that take majority of students from in-state. The 31 average is still just an average, plenty of people still get in with lower as US citizens. MSAR can show you the 10th percentile and the 90th percentile

It could cut it at some public state schools that take majority of students from in-state. The 31 average is still just an average, plenty of people still get in with lower as US citizens. MSAR can show you the 10th percentile and the 90th percentile

Yea the school I am referring to is a small private. Not sure about the public state schools.

Yeah- I was quite shocked by the comment. My MCAT score didn't help (that's what happens when you only study moderately 3 weeks before). My apps were a bit late in the cycle as well...

While applying I thought that it would be awesome if I got a deferred acceptance. Now that I have the ability to defer my RCSI acceptance a year- I don't have any will to do so. After tags single cycle I got sick of the attitude of US MD admissions and I frnu thing that RCSI is a better school than most of the lower-tier US MD schools I could get in if I reapplied early this new cycle with my old MCAT (lack sociology and psychology classes to take the new one and do well on it).

Besides- I think studying at a med school in Ireland with a large international cohort will contribute far more to becoming a good doctor- and I care more about that than having an 'easier' time getting into a residency because the US or Caribbean school teaches for the USMLE- not that I think these are mutually exclusive, and I had a good train of thought here.. But I've suddenly lost it.

Yeah- I was quite shocked by the comment. My MCAT score didn't help (that's what happens when you only study moderately 3 weeks before). My apps were a bit late in the cycle as well...

While applying I thought that it would be awesome if I got a deferred acceptance. Now that I have the ability to defer my RCSI acceptance a year- I don't have any will to do so. After tags single cycle I got sick of the attitude of US MD admissions and I frnu thing that RCSI is a better school than most of the lower-tier US MD schools I could get in if I reapplied early this new cycle with my old MCAT (lack sociology and psychology classes to take the new one and do well on it).

Besides- I think studying at a med school in Ireland with a large international cohort will contribute far more to becoming a good doctor- and I care more about that than having an 'easier' time getting into a residency because the US or Caribbean school teaches for the USMLE- not that I think these are mutually exclusive, and I had a good train of thought here.. But I've suddenly lost it.

At the end of the day though, if you want a residency in the US, you're better off at US school. Those low tiers USMDs you could get into, will still make it much easier to get into a US residency. It's naive to say, you care more about becoming a better doctor than having an easier time getting into residency... because you can't be a doctor without the residency, which is what makes you the doctor in the first place. Add to the fact that, at least from those I talk to, you don't really start learning really how to become a true doctor until residency. m3/m4 as well, but the all encompassing aspects of being a doctor from all sides in residency.

RCSI is a great school from everything I'm aware of, just like many other foreign schools that have been around longer than many US schools. But you want to be a Dr in the US, so there's a game to play so to speak with politics.

Just some thoughts.

At the end of the day though, if you want a residency in the US, you're better off at US school. Those low tiers USMDs you could get into, will still make it much easier to get into a US residency. It's naive to say, you care more about becoming a better doctor than having an easier time getting into residency... because you can't be a doctor without the residency, which is what makes you the doctor in the first place. Add to the fact that, at least from those I talk to, you don't really start learning really how to become a true doctor until residency. m3/m4 as well, but the all encompassing aspects of being a doctor from all sides in residency.

RCSI is a great school from everything I'm aware of, just like many other foreign schools that have been around longer than many US schools. But you want to be a Dr in the US, so there's a game to play so to speak with politics.

Just some thoughts.

It's not at all naive. It's the very reason why I refuse to consider Caribbean schools, despite that chance of scoring higher on USMLE (and thus better chance at residency), and I am very confident that exposure to a different healthcare system and far more exposure to many different cultures is worth the 'risks' involved. If I was not so confident in RCSI, I would take the defer and get into a okay US MD programme next cycle.

Learning to become a doctor will differ between schools, probably with clinical exposure in medicine years. And yes, there is a political game to the process- and I think it's rubbish that graduates from the lowest-ranked US MD school are valued over some from brilliant international schools simply because of location.

I'm not saying that the my path carries less risk, or even the same- but I think this pathway will be the most valuable to my future as a physician and a well-rounded person.

Studying abroad for medicine (in good programmes) should look no different than doing an undergraduate or even a graduate degree abroad- I don't think there is any evidence out there saying that U.S.-trained physicians are better than their UK, Irish, or German counterparts... And that stigma needs to die out- which won't happen with everyone choosing to study in the states.

I don't want to come off as "taking one for the team" but this is a choice- not a nuclear option to do whatever it takes to be a doctor. I could get in next year if I apply early enough, but I am choosing to take a different path that I feel will be a much more rich (no pun intended) experience for both my personal and professional life.

Am I making the biggest mistake of my life?

I don't know- I cannot see the future, so stay tuned.

Reactions: 1 users
Neither was I saying that w.r.t quality of physicians, its simply politics, that is all. And to be frank, the US is actually the MOST open for residency. Good luck trying to get into most foreign residency programs as a North American medical school graduate. It's always ironic when people pursuing the IMG path make that comment about the US holding that stigma, because of this very fact that most places in the world are even harder in the opposite direction. People protect their own graduates first and foremost. It is how it is.

In addition, I could use your very same arguments as support to say that because of them, it promotes people more to take the risks of studying abroad when they are a known quantity. Definitely not taking that argument though, but it could be stated for fairness sake! :)

As for the carribean remark, i don't know, 3rd/4th year your doing clinicals in US hospitals anyways- so not a significant difference there.

The crux of your argument lays down to some foreign schools having more clinical exposure during the pre-clinical years, and experiencing different cultures. I would agree that the latter could help make you a better, more grounded doctor - no doubt. Worth the risks of decreasing opportunities as an IMG though? Add to the fact that, nothing is stopping you from doing away rotations in a foreign country while a USMD - or using your summers to travel and gain cultural exposure.

Or even taking that year off to travel the world (true travel, where you actually have time to fully immerse in a culture rather than odd hours when you're not studying as a med student).

Anyways, you've made a decision and it seems to be the right one for you :) Good luck!

Received official rejection letter for NUIG 5 year yesterday. I emailed Atlantic Bridge, and they said that both Trinity and NUIG have sent out second round acceptances.

Apparently I am still in the running for Trinity 5 year, and I would love to go. I'm not keeping my hopes up though.
what were ur stats if you dont mind me asking? and what were ur ecs?

Hello

I'm originally from Thailand
My country of citizenship is: Thai
Currently studying: undergrad (Bioinformatics & Forensics majors)
At this University: Winona State then transferred to Loyola U of Chicago
My GPA is: when I applied it was 3.63 out of 4.00 for undergrad and 3.92 out of 4.00 for high school
I have not taken an MCAT as I applied for the 5/6 years program and I'm still a sophomore

I applied to: NUIG, UCD, RCSI, UCC, Masaryk University in Czech Republic
I was accepted to: Masaryk University in Czech Republic
I was waitlisted at: have not heard from UCD & UCC yet
I was rejected from: NUIG, RCSI (without an interview)

My first choice school is: at this point I actually don't mind so I don't really have my first choice

Last edited:
Learning to become a doctor will differ between schools, probably with clinical exposure in medicine years. And yes, there is a political game to the process- and I think it's rubbish that graduates from the lowest-ranked US MD school are valued over some from brilliant international schools simply because of location.

Studying abroad for medicine (in good programmes) should look no different than doing an undergraduate or even a graduate degree abroad- I don't think there is any evidence out there saying that U.S.-trained physicians are better than their UK, Irish, or German counterparts... And that stigma needs to die out- which won't happen with everyone choosing to study in the states.
afaik, all countries give preference to their citizens.
me, i want to go to med school in Europe and stay in Europe, but the more i look into that path, the more disappointed i become, because they give priority to EU citizens (even if i graduate from THEIR school, yup) and i'm scared of not being able to get an internship there.

afaik, all countries give preference to their citizens.
me, i want to go to med school in Europe and stay in Europe, but the more i look into that path, the more disappointed i become, because they give priority to EU citizens (even if i graduate from THEIR school, yup) and i'm scared of not being able to get an internship there.

Exactly, North Americans always feel so entitled and taken aback that the policies in place are so political.

Compared to other places in the world, Canada and the US are pretty darn receptive compared to places that would never even consider outsiders, unless they bring a lot of $$ with them.

Exactly, North Americans always feel so entitled and taken aback that the policies in place are so political.

Compared to other places in the world, Canada and the US are pretty darn receptive compared to places that would never even consider outsiders, unless they bring a lot of $$ with them.

You've a bad habit of making gross generalisations.

It's nothing about entitlement, it's the fact that such policies exist in the first place. Simply having the policy to a 'lesser extent' in the U.S. does not mean that we can't say how stupid these policies are- for any country to have.

Essentially, these countries are saying that it doesn't matter if your education/knowledge is better. It must be substantially for you to get the same consideration... And even then... Some programmes won't even let you apply if you are an FMG, despite how qualified you may be.

There is a difference between having 2 applicants who have near-same credentials, and selecting the student trained in the country versus having 2 applicants, with one who may be superior, but not even allowed to apply or handicapped to the point where applying is almost a lost cause.

It should be a matter of how well of a candidate you are for residency, not "are you in line with the politics"- and being a graduate from an American medical school does not mean you are automatically the better candidate for an American residency position (or Canadian/whatever).

Another thing to take note of its a different thing entirely in the EU. While the EU will at least consider you, they, by law, cannot take you unless you are an EU citizen or all EU citizens (even the ****tiest physicians out there, have spots). There, what matters most is your place of birth- not how good of a physician/residency/intern/etc. you are.

Again- NOTHING to do with entitlement- just bad policies brought on by questionable politics.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

Canada isn't that receptive though, we talk like it is but if you aren't a Canadian citizen or PR you cannot even apply to CaRMS and even if you are your chances are pretty low. One thing that is more receptive about Canada is the clinical fellowship route, which does allow a lot of commonwealth doctors to do training in Canada and often stay. This is the reason why you do see a lot of Canadian faculty who are from countries like the UK, Australia, South Africa, NZ and Ireland.

The only country that is actually receptive in my opinion is the US and Singapore, they truly believe in a "the best man for the job" situation.

Canada isn't that receptive though, we talk like it is but if you aren't a Canadian citizen or PR you cannot even apply to CaRMS and even if you are your chances are pretty low. One thing that is more receptive about Canada is the clinical fellowship route, which does allow a lot of commonwealth doctors to do training in Canada and often stay. This is the reason why you do see a lot of Canadian faculty who are from countries like the UK, Australia, South Africa, NZ and Ireland.

The only country that is actually receptive in my opinion is the US and Singapore, they truly believe in a "the best man for the job" situation.
I have to agree with Medstart108. I think what really gets on CSAs nerves isn't that we aren't being considered above other IMGs. It's simply that everyone doesn't get a fair shot at competing for the available positions and for a lot of residencies we need to wait around for the second round after any decent spots have been taken up. If we're so inferior, just let us apply and then reject us. Of course, sadly, even if we were allowed to compete for those positions with CMGs we'd still be at a huge disadvantage. Case-and-point, the US where IMGs with perfectly decent stats (LORs, USMLE scores, research publication etc) still don't get residency postions because of the "IMG stigma".
UBC2014, I think where you really have a point is that if Canada did let everyone apply regardless of where we studied, it kinda starts favouring richer applicants and poorer individuals become less likely to get into medicine. If we can indulge the idea that Canadian med schools really do pick the best applicants (for just a quick second ;)) ; and appreciate the fact that the government subsidises a huge portion of the tuition, then everyone, regardless of their financial background has a chance at becoming a doctor. However, if everyone who was a second rate med school applicant (like yours truly) can just go to Europe (like I'm doing now) and pay a hugely expensive tuition then just come back to Canada, where does that leave the poor med student with the same credentials as me? Now I should mention, I don't have the money to fund my training lying around in the sofa. I'm looking at $400K+ of debt when I graduate, but someone else might not qualify for the loans I'm going to be taking out.

If they had a US like system in Canada there would need to be more residency positions than there are currently. The reason is because the 95% match rate of CMGs has to be maintained otherwise there would be serious issues with the system.

Imagine if the government subsidized tuition and 10-15% of candidates didn't end up finding residencies. The main problem in Canada is just an oversupply of wannabe doctors to put it blankly. Canada has one of the most educated populations in the world, our immigrant populations tend to lean towards well educated individuals with qualifications rather than refugees. The proof of this is everywhere, our math and science scores are Top 10 in the world, one of the only English speaking countries to do so. The sheer amount of talent in Canadian universities in my opinion really overwhelms the ability of Canadian universities to provide a good education to them. I think most Canadian physicians would even believe that medical school competition was never this fierce 20-30-40 years ago. This means a lot of people who want to be doctors, not as much need for doctors.

There isn't really a shortage of physicians in Canada anymore except in rural areas for FM. And yet competition for Canadian medical schools is at the same level of countries like Singapore and HK, also highly educated countries.

The system could be solved by reducing physician salaries and increasing med school spots in Canada. The problem of course is that current physicians won't have it. Canada doesn't actually have that many physicians per capita as the UK for example or other EU countries and pay in Canada is still significantly higher than in Europe especially for the specialties. With such a high supply of potential physicians the point at which the supply and demand meet is probably at a lower salary and more seats than we currently have.

If you don't want a massive exodus of Canadians studying abroad you would likely have to do what i said above, which of course is going to be outrageously unpopular among the medical establishment and I don't blame them.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
If they had a US like system in Canada there would need to be more residency positions than there are currently. The reason is because the 95% match rate of CMGs has to be maintained otherwise there would be serious issues with the system.

Imagine if the government subsidized tuition and 10-15% of candidates didn't end up finding residencies. The main problem in Canada is just an oversupply of wannabe doctors to put it blankly. Canada has one of the most educated populations in the world, our immigrant populations tend to lean towards well educated individuals with qualifications rather than refugees. The proof of this is everywhere, our math and science scores are Top 10 in the world, one of the only English speaking countries to do so. The sheer amount of talent in Canadian universities in my opinion really overwhelms the ability of Canadian universities to provide a good education to them. I think most Canadian physicians would even believe that medical school competition was never this fierce 20-30-40 years ago. This means a lot of people who want to be doctors, not as much need for doctors.

There isn't really a shortage of physicians in Canada anymore except in rural areas for FM. And yet competition for Canadian medical schools is at the same level of countries like Singapore and HK, also highly educated countries.

The system could be solved by reducing physician salaries and increasing med school spots in Canada. The problem of course is that current physicians won't have it. Canada doesn't actually have that many physicians per capita as the UK for example or other EU countries and pay in Canada is still significantly higher than in Europe especially for the specialties. With such a high supply of potential physicians the point at which the supply and demand meet is probably at a lower salary and more seats than we currently have.

If you don't want a massive exodus of Canadians studying abroad you would likely have to do what i said above, which of course is going to be outrageously unpopular among the medical establishment and I don't blame them.

@Medstart108 Soo what is wrong with the system? Granted I'm American not Canadian so don't really know your country's situation but sounds like everyone can't become a doctor in Canada because the population doesn't need any more doctors and the government is the one heavily subsidizing medical education in the first place. Canada has a much smaller population than the U.S. So why would making it easier to become a doctor in Canada solve any problems? Then there would be an oversupply of doctors that Canada would be paying to educate.

I completely agree with the issues you outlined, and honestly, I don't think I understand how this whole thing works at all, but if I was to BS a reason as to why things are the way they are, maybe it's this.

You're right in that, if some huge fraction of the CMGs didn't end up getting a residency position then we are definitely doing something horribly wrong with educating doctors back home and I can certainly understand the government wanting some return on it's investment, as well. The problem that comes with sheltering the CMGs that would not have gotten a position if it were a free-for-all is that the government gets the worst of both worlds. They drained $X in educating the student that was not good enough to get matched and they are getting the second rate applicant for their troubles instead of the IMG that would have taken his job.

The amount of positions available for trained MDs to work is a reflection of the country's medical needs. On the other hand the amount of medical school/residency spots is a reflection of the government's willingness to invest in trained professionals to meet the health needs of the nation. Sure there might not be a great doctor/patient ratio in Canada compared to the UK or other socialised developed countries, but that's because Canada has decided that we simply don't need that many doctors to stay healthy. How influential is the doctor lobby in swaying the government in deciding just how many doctors the country needs, to serve its the lobby's interests, is a question that is pretty hard to answer. Is it none? Probably not. Is it a part of a giant illuminati plan to create a doctor's utopia in Canada? Probably not as well, haha.

So let me give you a scenario. While there is not a ton of private schools in Canada, there are a few. I don't think anyone of them has a medical school (but I'm not positive about that). Back in the late 90s-early 2000s (?) when the government decided to increase the seats for medical school; why didn't they just let a private school open up a medical department? It would have saved the government a ton of money on training, even if they still had to pay for the new spots in residency. Instead they decided to subsidise more seats in the public universities they already had. It's a reflection of the values of the government that individuals who want to to study medicine should get to based purely on their merit (again, please indulge me in saying med schools only pick the best applicants lol) and not whether or not they can pay the ridiculous tuition that comes with private education. I really do believe it just comes down to that. The government cannot afford too many doctors in the country to train and pay for, but, it also can't afford its people having opportunities closed off to them based on their financial background. So the number of doctors/residency spots/medical school seats is the balance between those two opposing forces.

@Medstart108 Soo what is wrong with the system? Granted I'm American not Canadian so don't really know your country's situation but sounds like everyone can't become a doctor in Canada because the population doesn't need any more doctors and the government is the one heavily subsidizing medical education in the first place. Canada has a much smaller population than the U.S. So why would making it easier to become a doctor in Canada solve any problems? Then there would be an oversupply of doctors that Canada would be paying to educate.

Nothing is wrong with the system in my opinion that needs to change now. I'm saying that its a difficult situation that can't be solved with any change, the way it is now isn't perfect but other options aren't either.

Hello all,

I'm from: Hamilton
My country of citizenship is:Canadian
Currently studying: biochemistry (just finished 1st yr)
My GPA is: 96% (gr.12)
My MCAT Scores were: didn't take it

I applied to: UCD, UCC, and NUIG
I was accepted at: NUIG
I was waitlisted at: ?
I was rejected from: UCC

My first choice school is: UCD

EC:
- Co-op experience during gr.12 @ local hospital for nursing researching
- graduated with Specialist High Skill Major (SHSM) in Health and Wellness
- city/ region champion throughout high school for soccer, basketball, and tennis
- worked at few conferences
- have been to DR for volunteer work
- volunteered in local hospital for 5 yrs
- volunteered at local golf club as assistant golf instructor, etc
- first year of university, I was health/ fitness rep at my residence, etc

Letter Recommendations:

1) Letter from Physics and Advanced Function teacher
2) Letter from Co-op Supervisor
3) Letter from a conference president

Last edited:
Hi all,

I posted this in the ABP 2015 thread but I also thought I would post it to get more opinions on what my chances look like.

Undergrad GPA: 84%
Master GPA: 85% (after 1 year)
BMATH in Pure Math and Applied Math from UWaterloo, with co-op
MSc in Math (currently pursuing) at UBC
Volunteering: Senior care home, hospital in first year of undergrad, Frosh week orientation leader, Resident Assistant/Don for a term
Work Exp: Because of co-op, I have a boatload of work experience in mathematics and physics tutoring and teaching, as well as working in the medical physics department of a hospital which resulted in me getting first author on a review paper in a medical dosimetry journal. I've also done two summer research terms, one in mathematical biology and mathematical modelling, and another in quantum algorithms. The problem here is that not a lot of work/research is clinical because of my undergrad major. Currently, I'm working part time at a medical walk-in clinic which is my most recent clinical experience.

I'm applying to TCD and NUIG for their 5-year program for September 2016 entry. The AMCAS system of calculating GPA, my overall GPA was around 3.65 and science GPA was around 3.71.
Thanks for the feedback!

Hi,

I would like some input regarding my situation. So I am applying through Atlantic bridge for 2016.

GPA: 3.65 completed a 4 year degree in Nursing at York Uni/Seneca College
Citizenship: Canadian and Portuguese.
MCAT: planning to write in 2016
My EC:
- nurse in acute neurosurgery, and ortho floor, Pediatric complex care rehab, bariatric surgical clinic, IV team in a dental clinic.
- Co-founder of a NPO/Charity that involves international experience and health in Nepal.
-Volunteered at a doctors office
- Volunteered overseas in an environmental group
- PSW for 3 years during my nursing degree.

I applied to: All school in ireland
I was accepted at:
I was waitlisted at:
I was rejected from:

I'm not really sure if my stats are competitive for Ireland. Should I write the MCAT? AB stated that there are three schools in Ireland that take student without MCAT stats but are 5 year program.

The issue with writing the MCAT is that the nursing program that I completed, didn't allow me to take any prereqs of chem, physics, biochem, etc. It would be new learning for me and I only have 5-6 months left to study for it. Is it enough time?
I am also not sure how competitive the 5 year program are. Anyone have any idea?

Any input would be appreciated. thanks.

Hi,

I would like some input regarding my situation. So I am applying through Atlantic bridge for 2016.

GPA: 3.65 completed a 4 year degree in Nursing at York Uni/Seneca College
Citizenship: Canadian and Portuguese.
MCAT: planning to write in 2016
My EC:
- nurse in acute neurosurgery, and ortho floor, Pediatric complex care rehab, bariatric surgical clinic, IV team in a dental clinic.
- Co-founder of a NPO/Charity that involves international experience and health in Nepal.
-Volunteered at a doctors office
- Volunteered overseas in an environmental group
- PSW for 3 years during my nursing degree.

I applied to: All school in ireland
I was accepted at:
I was waitlisted at:
I was rejected from:

I'm not really sure if my stats are competitive for Ireland. Should I write the MCAT? AB stated that there are three schools in Ireland that take student without MCAT stats but are 5 year program.

The issue with writing the MCAT is that the nursing program that I completed, didn't allow me to take any prereqs of chem, physics, biochem, etc. It would be new learning for me and I only have 5-6 months left to study for it. Is it enough time?
I am also not sure how competitive the 5 year program are. Anyone have any idea?

Any input would be appreciated. thanks.

If you have 5-6 months that is plenty of time if you can devote all of it to studying. If you are juggling a full time job then it is more difficult and would depend on how quickly you pick up the material.

If you have 5-6 months that is plenty of time if you can devote all of it to studying. If you are juggling a full time job then it is more difficult and would depend on how quickly you pick up the material.

Hmm, I just quit my full time position and took 2 casual position this year. I can probably do a full time MCAT gig. I picked up the Kaplan 7 book set, a long side a bunch of full test? is that sufficient?

Also, does anyone know if doing my MCAT in April is a huge disadvantage in my application since it's just right at the dead line for ABP?

thanks, =)

Hmm, I just quit my full time position and took 2 casual position this year. I can probably do a full time MCAT gig. I picked up the Kaplan 7 book set, a long side a bunch of full test? is that sufficient?

Also, does anyone know if doing my MCAT in April is a huge disadvantage in my application since it's just right at the dead line for ABP?

thanks, =)

Might be, but if you do the MCAT it helps you for applying the next year as well. I would also get AAMC practice tests they are official tests and I would look on SDN's MCAT section for advice on books, I would recommend getting more and from different companies to get more varied practice.

Hello, this is my first post on here. Looking to receive feedback on my potential application.

My country of citizenship is: U.S.A
Currently studying: Finished a B.S. in Organismal Biology, M.A. in German Studies, finishing M.A. in Bioethics
My GPA is: sGPA: 3.80, cGPA: 3.81 for undergraduate. Current GPA in M.A. is 4.0
My MCAT Scores were: 1st MCAT I had a 23 (low), 2nd MCAT 496 (low). I plan to take the MCAT again after I take my first Kaplan course (the school offers a free one where I am receiving my M.A.)

I applied to: UCD, UCC, RCSI, UDT
I was accepted at:
I was waitlisted at:
I was rejected from:

My first choice school is:

I have applied to medical schools this many times: 1 (I applied to D.O. schools last cycle and I was too late with a low MCAT. I am applying to D.O. schools this cycle and I have had 1 interview as my MCAT score had not come back yet)

Academic Distinctions:
· Dean’s List with Distinction for Academic Year of 2014-2015
· Outstanding UofA Honors Senior Award 2015
· Distinction in EEB Poster Presentation 2015
· Outstanding UofA Senior Award 2015 Nominee 2015
· Outstanding EEB Senior Award Nominee 2015
· Highest Academic Distinction Fall 2014
· Leslie N. Gooding EEB Scholar 2014
· First place in poster presentation regarding research on the Berlin Wall and economic growth factors November 2014
· Highest Academic Distinction Award for Academic Year of 2013-2014
· Weinel Scholarship through German Department for palliative care research 2014
· Outstanding Honors Junior Award 2014
· Honors College Grant Award for academic research in palliative care 2014
· Travel Research Grant through UofA Study Abroad 2014
· SILLC Global Award 2014
· Pillars of Excellence Award 2014
· Dean’s List with Distinction for Academic Year of 2013-2014
· Auszeichnung (Award) from German Department at the UofA for academic distinction May 2013
· Honors Distinction and Pinning for Credit Hours 2013
· Dean’s List and Academic Distinction Awards for Academic Year of 2011-2013
· Induction into National Society of Collegiate Scholars August 2011
· Distinction in Honors First Year Project for research concerning E2F1 protein in cancer research 2012

(I apologize ahead of time for the longer list that I put on my condensed CV as I was not sure what to highlight/remove)

EC:
. Ethics committee chair member at hospital
. Plant storage effect and competition research for 1 year
. Bioinformatics research 1 year
. German translation research and 2 publications for 2 years
. Head TA for 2.5 years for Bioethics undergraduate course
. German language instructor for 1 year
. Psychiatry lab research for 1 year
. Palliative care humanities research for 3 years (ongoing research still)
. ER volunteer for 3.5 years
. Assisted living caretaker for quadriplegic for 3.5 years
. Single cell-measurements for cancer pathways research for 1.5 years

Letter Recommendations:
1) Letter from Department Head of Biology Department
2) Letter from D.O that I worked on my thesis with
3) Letter from an M.D. in Heidelberg, Germany that I worked on my thesis with
4) Letter from a Bioethicist that I helped teach undergraduate courses with

Once again, I apologize for this longer post. I will be taking the MCAT again as I have never had adequate time to remove distractions from research and effectively study. I am hopeful that this Kaplan course will be of use.

Hello, this is my first post on here. Looking to receive feedback on my potential application.

My country of citizenship is: U.S.A
Currently studying: Finished a B.S. in Organismal Biology, M.A. in German Studies, finishing M.A. in Bioethics
My GPA is: sGPA: 3.80, cGPA: 3.81 for undergraduate. Current GPA in M.A. is 4.0
My MCAT Scores were: 1st MCAT I had a 23 (low), 2nd MCAT 496 (low). I plan to take the MCAT again after I take my first Kaplan course (the school offers a free one where I am receiving my M.A.)

I applied to: UCD, UCC, RCSI, UDT
I was accepted at:
I was waitlisted at:
I was rejected from:

My first choice school is:

I have applied to medical schools this many times: 1 (I applied to D.O. schools last cycle and I was too late with a low MCAT. I am applying to D.O. schools this cycle and I have had 1 interview as my MCAT score had not come back yet)

Academic Distinctions:
· Dean’s List with Distinction for Academic Year of 2014-2015
· Outstanding UofA Honors Senior Award 2015
· Distinction in EEB Poster Presentation 2015
· Outstanding UofA Senior Award 2015 Nominee 2015
· Outstanding EEB Senior Award Nominee 2015
· Highest Academic Distinction Fall 2014
· Leslie N. Gooding EEB Scholar 2014
· First place in poster presentation regarding research on the Berlin Wall and economic growth factors November 2014
· Highest Academic Distinction Award for Academic Year of 2013-2014
· Weinel Scholarship through German Department for palliative care research 2014
· Outstanding Honors Junior Award 2014
· Honors College Grant Award for academic research in palliative care 2014
· Travel Research Grant through UofA Study Abroad 2014
· SILLC Global Award 2014
· Pillars of Excellence Award 2014
· Dean’s List with Distinction for Academic Year of 2013-2014
· Auszeichnung (Award) from German Department at the UofA for academic distinction May 2013
· Honors Distinction and Pinning for Credit Hours 2013
· Dean’s List and Academic Distinction Awards for Academic Year of 2011-2013
· Induction into National Society of Collegiate Scholars August 2011
· Distinction in Honors First Year Project for research concerning E2F1 protein in cancer research 2012

(I apologize ahead of time for the longer list that I put on my condensed CV as I was not sure what to highlight/remove)

EC:
. Ethics committee chair member at hospital
. Plant storage effect and competition research for 1 year
. Bioinformatics research 1 year
. German translation research and 2 publications for 2 years
. Head TA for 2.5 years for Bioethics undergraduate course
. German language instructor for 1 year
. Psychiatry lab research for 1 year
. Palliative care humanities research for 3 years (ongoing research still)
. ER volunteer for 3.5 years
. Assisted living caretaker for quadriplegic for 3.5 years
. Single cell-measurements for cancer pathways research for 1.5 years

Letter Recommendations:
1) Letter from Department Head of Biology Department
2) Letter from D.O that I worked on my thesis with
3) Letter from an M.D. in Heidelberg, Germany that I worked on my thesis with
4) Letter from a Bioethicist that I helped teach undergraduate courses with

Once again, I apologize for this longer post. I will be taking the MCAT again as I have never had adequate time to remove distractions from research and effectively study. I am hopeful that this Kaplan course will be of use.

Impossible to say without a new MCAT score which is the most important part of the application besides GPA. None of the schools have accepted anyone w the new Mcat so it's hard to know but ideally you want to be 28 and up from old scale so shoot for at least a 504 in my opinion

Correct. I knew that would be the case and I will have to see how my MCAT is in February when I receive my new score, but other than that, I was not sure how I would compare even to the 5 year program. Thank you for the immediate feedback though!

Hi everyone,

I'm combing through the pages on here and I just wanted to clarify something.

1. Do only RCSI and Limerick do interviews?
2. It looks from this thread as if interview invities to the above 2 schools come out in early February?
3. The other schools do not interview? One should expect either an acceptance or rejection letter only?
4. When do UCC/ Trinity/ UCD generally send out acceptances to North American applicants who completed everything by the fall deadline?

Thanks! Just looking to get a sense of when I should anticipate to hear something.