Stats of Applicants to Irish schools and Acceptance, Waitlist or Rejection

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leorl

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, some users thought it might be helpful to have an acceptance sticky. don't know why I didn't do it before! Use the following format below, just copy and paste into your answers. Answer as many or as few fields as you wish.

I'm from: (State / Canadian Province / other)
My country of citizenship is:
Currently studying: (undergraduate or graduate course, or high school)
At this University:
My GPA is:
My MCAT Scores were: Physical Sciences: Verbal:
Biological Sciences: Written Sample:

I applied to: (which Irish school, and NA or other universities)
I was accepted at: (Trinity, UCD, RCSI, UCC, NUIG)
I was waitlisted at: (Trinity, UCD, RCSI, UCC, NUIG)
I was rejected from: (Trinity, UCD, RCSI, UCC, NUIG)

My first choice school is: (one of the above, or a different North American or other university)

I have applied to medical schools this many times:

Members don't see this ad.

I'll start as an example, keep in mind that my application was about 4 years ago.

I'm from: Ohio
My country of citizenship is: US
Currently studying: B.A. in Biology, Psychology and Classics
At this University: Case Western Reserve University
My GPA is: 3.8
My MCAT Scores were: Physical Sciences: 10 Verbal: 12
Biological Sciences: 13 Written Sample: T

I applied to: Trinity, RCSI
I was accepted at: Trinity, withdrew the RCSI application
I was waitlisted at:
I was rejected from: withdrew RCSI application

My first choice school is: Trinity

I have applied to medical schools this many times: 1

Hi there

I was just wondering when did u apply and when did you hear back from them.

Thanks alot

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm from: Montreal
My country of citizenship is: Canadian
Currently studying: H. B.Sc. in Biochemistry
At this University:Concordia
My GPA is: 3.85
My MCAT Scores were: Physical Sciences: 13 Verbal: 10
Biological Sciences: 13 Written Sample: P

I applied to: UCD, UCC, Trinity
I was accepted at: UCD
I was waitlisted at: ?
I was rejected from: Haven't heard from any others yet......is that normal?
My first choice school is: Didn't really research it but now that i have i like UCD....especially the new building!

I guess i was accepter to UCD "first round".....I had only days to accept the offer and send them 3100 euro...If i do get accepted to any of the other colleges ill have to refuse them....oh well...i guess thats good news to anyone who ends up on the waitlist.

On another note is anyone who has been accepted in Ireland still waiting for acceptances/rejections from any Canadian/American med schools?? I'd imagine so since few ppl apply to the Irish schools as their "first choice".

digital8888 said:
Hi there

I was just wondering when did u apply and when did you hear back from them.

Hey Digital.... I applied by the November 15th deadline and heard from UCD at the beginning of March. I also know some ppl who applied just before the "late" deadline of March something..........does anyone know what the chances of acceptance for those applicants is?? Are they at a disadvantage bc of rolling admission/waitlists etc...?

Not sure on that. I guess if more people reply, and some who were late applicants post their info, we'll find out. I also think that if you accept at a place and send your deposit, they will automatically reject you from the others. Jamesmtl, can you confirm when you receive word from the other schools?

I'm from: London, Ontario
Currently studying: H.Bsc. in Medical Science
At this University:University of Western Ontario
My GPA is: 3.5
My MCAT Scores were: Physical Sciences: 12 Verbal: 11
Biological Sciences: 10 Written Sample: P

I applied to: UCD, UCC, Trinity, RCSI
I was interviewed at: RCSI
I was waitlisted at: still waiting to hear
I was rejected from: RCSI
My first choice school is: UCD or Trinity

Leorl, I'll definitely post any acceptance/rejections i get. Why are my offers of admission from other Irish schools cancelled once i accept one of them? The way that the offers were sent out I had to accept UCD weeks before I could MAYBE know of my acceptance to another school. For that matter i STILL haven't heard from Trinity or UCC....since I requested any acceptances to be FedEx-ed to me, and since other ppl have already received theirs, i imagine i didnt get in.....either way the only Irish school im going to now is UCD cause they have C$4400 of mine.

Jocks, I've talked to you before on other posts, but i forget; are you waiting for any news from Canadian schools?? Or are you definitely going to UCD?

Jamesmtl said:
Leorl, I'll definitely post any acceptance/rejections i get. Why are my offers of admission from other Irish schools cancelled once i accept one of them? The way that the offers were sent out I had to accept UCD weeks before I could MAYBE know of my acceptance to another school. For that matter i STILL haven't heard from Trinity or UCC....since I requested any acceptances to be FedEx-ed to me, and since other ppl have already received theirs, i imagine i didnt get in.....either way the only Irish school im going to now is UCD cause they have C$4400 of mine.

Jocks, I've talked to you before on other posts, but i forget; are you waiting for any news from Canadian schools?? Or are you definitely going to UCD?

Hey James,

I don't think they cancel your other acceptances...I talked to Peter Nealon about this, and he said that if you want to you can just lose your deposit and go to another school. I was talking with him about UCD vs Trin and he basically said there isn't much difference b/w them in regards to facilities, reputation, etc.
As for my standings with Canadian schools...a 3.5 GPA doesn't get much love. Total rejection from all schools applied. Still waiting to hear from some american schools, but not holding my breath. So unless something earth-shattering happens I'll be heading to UCD, and honestly I'm pretty pumped. I've been researching this med school and UCD in general, and it looks pretty fantastic. Beautiful campus, lots of facilities and clubs, as well as an active med society.
I'm still a bit curious about housing, apparently we don't apply until may and they've got apartment-style housing for NA med and vet students.

Cheers,
Jocks

I'm from: San Francisco, CA
My country of citizenship is: US
Currently studying: Biology and Philosophy
At this University: University of Chicago
My GPA is: 3.4
My MCAT Scores were:
Physical Sciences: 9 Verbal:11 Biological Sciences:11 Written Sample:R

I applied to: Trinity, UCD, RCSI, UCC
I was accepted at: RCSI (GEP)
I was waitlisted at: none
I was rejected from: UCD
Haven't heard from UCC and Trinity yet, but I think those are rejections

My first choice school is: EVMS, but RCSI came a close second

I have applied to medical schools this many times:1

I placed for my deposit for RCSI and am currently in Dublin scoping out the school and the area. Also, trying not to think about the quarter mil of debt that I will have to pay off... I'm currently on the wait list in two places in the states (EVMS and Albany), so looks like I'll probably go to RCSI (definately not a bad thing from my experience here).

I'm from: Columbus, OHIO/US
My country of citizenship is: MALAYSIAN
Education: BSc Allied Hlth Prof. (Med.Dietetics-Honors with Distinction)
From this University: The Ohio State University
My GPA is: 3.8

I applied to: TCD, RCSI, UCD, UCC, NUI GALWAY
I was accepted at: TCD

Still waiting for an interview from RCSI (Applied directly in Dublin before knowing about the AB program)

My first choice school is: TRINITY, RCSI

hey guys,

I'm from: toronto
My country of citizenship is: canadian
Education: in human biology - genetics & biotech
From this University: university of toronto
my mcat scores were: 10 verbal, 11 bio, 11 phys, and Q

I applied to: UCD, UCC, and Trinity (and some post-bac programs in the US)
I was accepted at: UCD (and recently to georgetown's post-bac)
i am waiting to hear from: UCC and Trin
rejected from: (i assume UCC and trin because ihaven't heard back yet)

My first choice school is: UCD
I have applied to medical schools this many times:2

to those of you planning on going to ucd - have u heard anything since the email confirming the deposit? because i haaaaven't...

i've been having second thoughts since i was accepted into a post-bac program last week. the pros are that it would help me get into a US med school...the cons are that it is EXPENSIVE (for which i would receive no financial aid), i might have to rewrite the mcat, getting into med school next year isn't guaranteed...but is it all worth it to get into a US med school? arrgh...any thoughts?

arachniphobic73 said:
to those of you planning on going to ucd - have u heard anything since the email confirming the deposit? because i haaaaven't...

Hi arachniphobic73,
I think we are suppose to e-mail/fax AB Prgm our bank receipt/slip of the deposit. The AB prgm will then send us info. on accom., health/vaccination stuff and etc. If you have done so, maybe should try to shoot them (AB) an e-mail to find out the details. Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Arach, I received a package from UCD about one week ago. All it contained was a 2005/2006 student manual (useless) and a campus map. I doubt they're going to invest any cash into us since many of those who are originally accepted revoke their acceptances later. I also emailed ABP on friday to the same effect and havent heard anything yet.

I'm from: Ontario
Currently studying: Was studying Comp Sci - now at UCC
At this University: U of Waterloo
My GPA is: After CS it was about 2.7
My MCAT Scores were: 36O
Physical Sciences: 13 Verbal: 11
Biological Sciences: 12 Written Sample: O

I applied to: UCC, UCD
I was accepted at: UCC, UCD
I was waitlisted at:
I was rejected from:

My first choice school is: UCC!

-Actually, I applied again to McMaster after 1st year because of pressure from home. I had an interview but called and canceled it cause I want to stay here (maybe permently?) and having one foot out the door was causing me more stress than anything else.

I'm from: Alberta, Canada
Currently studying: undergraduate (second degree)
At this University: University of Alberta

I applied to: Trinity, UCD, RCSI, UCC, and several U.S. Universities
I was waitlisted at: None, though I've heard nothing from UCC
I was rejected from: Trinity, RCSI, and all U.S. universities

My first choice school is: U.S. somewhere. Withing Ireland, Trinity.

I have applied to medical schools this many times: 2 (Previous time was to Canadian schools.)

I'm from: PEI canada
My country of citizenship is:Canadian
Currently studying:B.Sc Chemistry
At this University: UPEI
My GPA is: 3.8 / 4.5

I applied to: Trinity
I was accepted at: Trinity
I was waitlisted at: none
I was rejected from: none

My first choice school is: Dalhousie and then trinity

I have applied to medical schools this many times: once

hey..

I'm from: Dubai, UAE
My country of citizenship is: Syria
Currently studying: international highschool, gce alevels, 13th grade.

I applied to: RCSI
I was accepted at: RCSI, 5 year medical program
I was waitlisted at:
I was rejected from:

My first choice school is: RCSI

i'm really looking forward to go to dublin..always heard that its a great place, i know its pretty expensive but im sure ill manage. i kinda regret not applying to other uni's in ireland, it was a bit too late but i also recently heard, not sure if its true, that the best place for international med students is RCSI. It doesn't matter anyway i hope it all turns out to be great. any1 starting this october?
haha n i know this is random, but any radiohead fans going for their concert in dublin on the 24th of august?

Just a question - why did you not choose to go to RCSI in Dubai? They have a campus there, I believe? As regards to international med students at RCSI...well, that's because RCSI is full of them. It would have more international students than the other schools (ie over 50%, the other schools sit at around the 50% level)

I'm from: California (moved here from Hong Kong for college)
My country of citizenship is: Hong Kong/Taiwan
Currently studying: Finishing first year undergrad
At this University: University of California, Davis
My GPA is: 3.36 undergrad; 3.5 high school.
My MCAT Scores were: Never took it.

I applied to: Trinity, UCD, RCSI, UCC
I was accepted at: RCSI
I was waitlisted at: Trinity, UCD (assuming so if I haven't heard from them)
I was rejected from: UCC (realizing they did not have a 6 year program after I applied)

RCSI in Dubai only offers one course and that is, the M.Sc. in Healthcare Management, and a few others like surgical training. It doesn't offer the MBCHB course.
I could have gone for RCSI Bahrain but thing is they're not getting a lot of students yet, and honestly i want to enjoy univ life, and bahrain isn't a place to do that with such a small number of students heh..i've been in this int'l school for a while just to have agood chance of being able to study abroad, got a lot of friends going for the UK too.
Anyways i'm all set for dublin now.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know the average GPA and MCAT scores for accepted applicants to any of the 4- or 5-year programs? Thanks.

As regards to international med students at RCSI...well, that's because RCSI is full of them.

As one of my EMT friends from Ireland put it, ".....like an infestation of *expletive deleted* roaches". :laugh:

My country of citizenship is: Canadian (& UK)
Currently studying: Biomedical Sciences
My GPA is: don't really understand the whole gpa system (waterloo is weird that way), but my overall average was around 83% (first year marks sucked, but whose don't?)
My MCAT Scores were: 30-O (10/10/10)

I applied to: UCC, UCD, TCD
I was accepted at: TCD!!!!
I was waitlisted at: TCD, UCC

I'm a living, breathing, waiting-list miracle!!!! haha!!

:luck: :) :luck: :) :luck: :) :luck:

leorl:

Would it be possible to modify the "Sticky" to include: Age and Gender?

(My B.A. is in Sociology so I get into demography.)

Thanks,

RRT2MD

:luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck:

MISS Piggy...!!!

So you got accepted to Trinity also?
THat's awesome!!! Might see you there if i decide to go!!

misspiggy28 said:
My country of citizenship is: Canadian (& UK)
Currently studying: Biomedical Sciences
My GPA is: don't really understand the whole gpa system (waterloo is weird that way), but my overall average was around 83% (first year marks sucked, but whose don't?)
My MCAT Scores were: 30-O (10/10/10)

I applied to: UCC, UCD, TCD
I was accepted at: TCD!!!!
I was waitlisted at: TCD, UCC

I'm a living, breathing, waiting-list miracle!!!! haha!!

:luck: :) :luck: :) :luck: :) :luck:

I'm from: UAE/Jordan
My country of citizenship is: Jordanian
Currently studying: Done GCE A-Levels last June.
My Grades: Pending. But expecting AAB

I applied: RCSI
I was accepted at: RCSI
I was waitlisted at: -
I was rejected from: -

My first choice school is: RCSI

I'm from: Saudi Arabia
My country of citizenship is: Saudi
Currently studying: Not yet looking for acceptance.
I`m a physotherapist , my GPA 3,47/5 Grade 'Good'
and I`ve a good grade when I in scondary school, I need acceptance from Candain or Ireland Univesities.I want study as " graduated or undergraduated program"

I applied:Mcmaster
I was accepted at: I`m looking for acceptance
I was waitlisted at: -
I was rejected from: Mcmaster

My first choice school is: any school accept me

Regards

I'm from: NJ, USA
Country of citizenship: USA
Studying: Mathematics
At this university: Richard Stockton College of NJ
GPA: 4.0
Currently a Surgical PA and Associate Professor

I'm applying to: UCD, RCSI
Accepted:
Waitlisted:
Rejected: RCSI (yay!)

My first choice school is: UCD

I've applied to medical school this many times: 2 (I was accepted at a caribbean school last year, but I decided not to attend)

I thought about it, but I really just want to study over there. I know right now it isn't entirely realistic, but I might want to move there permanently one day (like when I'm finishing med school for instance), and it would certainly help to have the degree from an Irish school, I think.

Need help....... Is anyone applying for there 6 year medical program? Is RCSI good compare to other? How is the teaching in Ireland?

hi!!!
my name is meriem and:

I'm from: algeria
Currently studying: doctor of medicine
At this University: University of medicine of Algiers

i wanna apply in an irish university but don't know if i have a chance to be accepted, if my dilpoma is recognized, if there is exams to pass, if i can do postgraduation... :confused:

can anyone help plz, thanx!

I'm from: Texas
My country of citizenship is: U.S.A.
Currently studying: about to graduate, Philosophy and Biology
At this University: Loyola U. Chicago and others
My MCAT Scores were: N/A for now

I applied to: Trinity, UCD, RCSI, UCC, NUIG)
I was accepted at:
I was waitlisted at:
I was rejected from: RCSI

My first choice school is: Trinity is my first choice since this is the only school that I have visited; in addition, any of the Texas medical schools would be great. But, I think heading to Ireland for medical school would be more than just studying medicine....while staying in the States means that going to medical school would be a continuation, or rather, an intensification of my life right now. Being in Dublin or surrounding areas would be "the experience of a lifetime."

I have applied to medical schools this many times:this is going to be my second time applying to U.S. schools, and my first time applying to Irish schools.

Just curious - then how are there stats above where students said they didn't take the MCAT?

I think that some people may be applying to 6 year programs....in that case, you do not need an MCAT score to be considered for admission. However, if you have a BS/BS, then in applying to the 5 year program, you should have an MCAT score. I think Trinity is the only school that does not specifically require it. Also, others may have not taken the MCAT yet (will be taking in 2007 before the due date).

I just submitted my application today!

I'm from: Vancouver, BC
My country of citizenship is: Canada
Currently studying: BSc in Microbiology & Immunology
At this University: University of British Columbia
My GPA is: 3.3
My MCAT Scores were: Physical Sciences: 11 Verbal: 9
Biological Sciences: 12 Writing Sample: O

I applied to: RCSI, UCD, TCD, UCC
I was accepted at:
I was waitlisted at:
I was rejected from:

My first choice school is: Really, I will be happy with any one, but RCSI and UCD come to mind.

I have applied to medical schools this many times: First (it'd also better be the last) year

I have a general question. I am about to overnight my application and all other documents. Do you think that it is better to apply to the two schools that you really want to attend??? I am thinking they may have a system where only one medical school accepts you from the ABP. I don't see too many multiple acceptances on this thread. I really want to attend Trinity or RCSI, considering how expensive it is to apply to all four schools. However, I also don't want my chances to dwindle away. Advice would be much appreciated. Leori, have you any thoughts on this??? thanks!!:D

Hey docolive,

I see your concern, but I believe that the Irish schools make independent admissions decisions. And probably because of the increasing numbers of applicants, there are fewer chances that one individual is accepted to 2+ schools. However, if you are only seriously interested in attending Trinity or RCSI, then why apply to others? (no discouragement intended)

I don't think applying to Ireland is expensive at all when compared to Canadian or American schools. OMSAS (Ontario) is ridiculously expensive (minimum $275 CAD), and most American secondaries are in the $75-100 USD range, not to mention the AMCAS fee. Although I have to say that the UK is the cheapest: even for overseas students, it's £15 for the entire UCAS application (regardless of number of schools, although it's limited to 4 per applicant).

Good luck!

I only applied to Trinity and RCSI because I knew I didn't want to go to the others. And I mainly only wanted Trinity. And I was rejected from RCSI as soon as I put down a deposit for Trinity. I don't know if the two were related :).

Hi leorl,

Hahaha...that just adds more confusion to clarifying the question whether putting in a deposit to one school automatically leads to rejections and/or cancellation of seat from the others. I have read somewhere else on this board that you can still switch to another school even if you have paid a deposit for another earlier. I guess we'll all worry about it when we actually get the acceptances :)

Anyways, did you have an interview with RCSI?

Hey docolive,

I don't think applying to Ireland is expensive at all when compared to Canadian or American schools. OMSAS (Ontario) is ridiculously expensive (minimum $275 CAD), and most American secondaries are in the $75-100 USD range, not to mention the AMCAS fee. Although I have to say that the UK is the cheapest: even for overseas students, it's £15 for the entire UCAS application (regardless of number of schools, although it's limited to 4 per applicant).

Good luck!
thanks! You're right; however, I was spoiled by the cost of applying to Texas schools---only $120 for 6 schools!! I have never applied through AMCAS, so I had little idea of how costly it can be. Wow, I can not believe how expensive OMSAS is!!! That is terrible. Anyhow, I wound up applying to Trinity (number 1 choice), UCD and RCSI. They'll be waiting for my retake score regardless.

Okay, so I recently submitted my application and really wish Spring would get here soon so I can find out whether or not I'm going to have to try this all over again next year.

Where from: Small town, Alberta, Canada
Citizen.: Canadian
Education:BSc (bio) from St. Mary's in Halifax, Firefighter/EMT training in Edmonton, AB
GPA: Undergrad so low I almost feel embarassed to list but around 3.0 when my 10 lowest marks are thrown out.
MCAT: 9 VR, 8 PS, 6 BS, M WS

Applied to: UCC, UCD, Trinity, RCSI
Canadian Schools applied to : U of Alberta, U of Calgary, U of Manitoba
Nothing heard yet, but it is still early.

First Choice: UCC, then UCD, Trinity, and RCSI least of all (financial reasons)

Have applied: 1st time

I'm hoping experience carries me far, because my marks probably won't.

I'm hoping experience carries me far, because my marks probably won't.[/QUOTE]

I feel the same way---regarding my MCAT scores. I wish I did not have to submit my scorecard. Hopefully, they will see the bigger picture. :luck:

Been following this thread (among others) for a while but haven't added my stats yet so here goes:

I'm from: Washington,DC (1965-1990) and British Columbia (1990-2005)
My country of citizenship is: USA and Canada
Currently studying: 2nd Med
At this University: UCC
My GPA is: 3.0 undergrad from Williams College and 3.5 MSc (Molecular Genetics) from University of British Columbia
My MCAT Scores were: 10PS, 11BS, 11VR T

I applied to: UCC, UCD, UVM..intending others in Canada&US but UCC came along and I didn't finish other applications. UVM interview offered and then withdrawn after they learned I'd matriculated to UCC
I was accepted at: UCC
I was waitlisted at: UCC, UCD (I applied in March, unknowingly well after the original deadline)
I was rejected from: Matriculated to UCC while on the UCD waitlist

My first choice school is: UCC--went with the acceptance!