Starting vet school with depression

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Merilen

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I have had problems with depression in the past and I'm starting vet school this august. I have been meeting with my doctor and we've been trying different antidepressants to get my depression under control but so far haven't had much luck. By now he thought we would have found something that works. Is there a good chance that attending vet school will make my depression worse? August is approaching fast and I'm worried I won't have my depression under control by then. My depression can become severe at times and I don't want that to happen while in school because it makes studying very hard.
Thank you for any insight.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi. I have had problems with depression in the past and I'm starting vet school this august. I have been meeting with my doctor and we've been trying different antidepressants to get my depression under control but so far haven't had much luck. By now he thought we would have found something that works. Is there a good chance that attending vet school will make my depression worse? August is approaching fast and I'm worried I won't have my depression under control by then. My depression can become severe at times and I don't want that to happen while in school because it makes studying very hard.
Absolutely. It is a high stress environment. That being said, if you are already working with a doctor you should be able to keep it in check as long as you keep it up.

For what it's worth, my mental health has improved in vet school, better than any drugs or doctors ever helped. But I think perhaps I am more the exception than the rule. For me staying busy keeps me going, so vet school's been great for that, and the extra drive I have felt to be successful here has really helped me push through a lot of the anxieties that ultimately cause me to get depressed. But it's a really personal thing. Like dyachei said, the fact that you're already seeing someone and trying to get it under control is a good thing. Since you are aware of your problem and are on the right track trying to fix it, I don't think you need to have to have it perfectly under control by the time school starts, especially because you don't know how school might change things for you. But you need to be acutely aware of yourself and get help early if you see yourself starting to slide downhill, because once you fall into the pit, it's a lot harder to get back out. That being said, I wouldn't focus all your energies on worrying about it, because that ultimately makes things worse.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What they said.

One thing to add, though .... please - like really, seriously, please - talk to your school about any accommodations you may need. Maybe consult your doctor first, and don't be shy about roping in a conference call or meeting between your doctor and the appropriate person at your school. Vet school is a huge investment - do what you need to protect that investment. I'm assuming pretty much all schools work the way UMN does; and I know that UMN will bend over backwards to make reasonable accommodations for students with demonstrated need. (Emphasis on 'reasonable' and 'demonstrated need'.)

I've served on our school's promotions committee for a while now, and it is very sad - and frustrating - to see people who could have done well with the right accommodations struggling simply because they didn't seek them out, or didn't use them when they were granted. People are naturally resistant to saying "hey, I need a bit of help" ... and then they get in trouble they didn't need to be in. So my advice is: Be prepared, which you're already doing. Talk to your school early and often, and involve your doctor in that conversation, in case there are things that could help resolve unnecessary challenges. And last, keep that conversation going no matter how good you feel.

It's super great to say "my depression is under control" and "I don't want [a severe episode] to happen while in school" but the wiser approach is to talk to your school ahead of time to have a plan in place in case something DOES happen. If you never need to enact the plan - awesome.

Kudos for dealing with it ahead of time.

Reactions: 3 users
Thank you for all the replies. LetItSnow: when I told one of my professors at my last school about my depression (she was concerned, I think she could tell) she told others at the school as well. Some of my professors didn't seem to like the fact that I was dealing with depression and gave me a hard time. I don't want to experience that again so I haven't planned on telling anyone in my school.

Thank you for all the replies. LetItSnow: when I told one of my professors at my last school about my depression (she was concerned, I think she could tell) she told others at the school as well. Some of my professors didn't seem to like the fact that I was dealing with depression and gave me a hard time. I don't want to experience that again so I haven't planned on telling anyone in my school.
I don't know where you attend school, but this is not something you should need to discuss with professors directly. Most schools have some policies in place to deal with these issues, and usually there is a person/office in charge of dealing with "disabilities" of which mental health is one. Make sure you get that straight ahead of time.

Also, I would recommend you look into deferring. If you don't have the medical situation under control when you start it would seem to be more stressful. You can probably get a medical deferral at almost any school. One more year to get it straightened out seems to make more sense than rolling the dice.

StartingoverVet: would I be allowed to defer due to depression. I didn't want to ask the school because I was afraid they would just decide they didn't want me at all or wouldn't want me back if they knew I've had problems with depression. I was also worried they would make a record of it and that would follow me in any other academic pursuits.

StartingoverVet: would I be allowed to defer due to depression. I didn't want to ask the school because I was afraid they would just decide they didn't want me at all or wouldn't want me back if they knew I've had problems with depression. I was also worried they would make a record of it and that would follow me in any other academic pursuits.
depends on the school.

I think dealing with mental health problems is absolutely a "legitimate" reason to defer, but it depends on the school as to if you could or not. You would have to talk to them well in advance (now would be good) to explain your situation. They can't reject you because of it and they can't put it on your record in any way that I'm aware of and it shouldn't deter you from doing what's best for you.

It depends on the school. Providing a medical evaluation recommending deferral would be ideal, though not all schools require this. It is one way to cover your bases though.

I entered vet school with depression (though I was denying anything was wrong) and it got much, much worse. It's a personal decision as to whether to continue or take some time to ensure it's under control, but vet school definitely affects people differently. I know I cannot allow myself to return from leave until I'm basically 100% because of what it did to me, but being busy is good for others. It's completely personal.

While I totally understand that, I would *STRONGLY* encourage you to reconsider. I have seen nothing but support from faculty for people with legitimate issues, and I would be surprised if it's any different at other schools. And it really, really sucks when something could have been done to help someone .... but then it's too late.

It's not really a matter of just randomly telling professors. Most schools have in place very specific personnel to help manage things like this.

Either way, best of luck. :)

Reactions: 1 user
I don't know where you attend school, but this is not something you should need to discuss with professors directly. Most schools have some policies in place to deal with these issues, and usually there is a person/office in charge of dealing with "disabilities" of which mental health is one. Make sure you get that straight ahead of time.

Also, I would recommend you look into deferring. If you don't have the medical situation under control when you start it would seem to be more stressful. You can probably get a medical deferral at almost any school. One more year to get it straightened out seems to make more sense than rolling the dice.

Ditto to both points. I advocate for getting to a good place before throwing something like vet school into the mix.

Does your vet school have their own counselor? It's fairly common (though not the rule) for vet schools to have their own specific counselors. You may be able to get in contact with them. I am sure others have been in a similar situations and they could help you with your options.

I started out as a genuinely happy person and got fairly miserable. I'm not sure if I was depressed but I was seriously burnt out and unhappy. Some of that was due to personal situations (close family members with cancer, etc) but school on its own was stressful enough.

Veterinary medicine has one of the highest suicide rates of all professions.

It might not be the right career field if you are struggling with depression. I would strongly consider deferring till you're in a better mental state, imo.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not in vet school (yet), so I cannot speak as to what vet school does to contribute to mental health issues, BUT I feel like most (not all) of us pre-vet/vet students are typically very type A, and it's the norm to be a little stressed or anxious or depressed when something is not precisely detailed for us. The unknown is scary because we can't control it, and start to over analyze and think of all the what-ifs. I think you're on the right track with trying to find the best medication for you to be happy and to thrive.
Best of luck-- things will work out for you! Stay positive.

Veterinary medicine has one of the highest suicide rates of all professions.

It might not be the right career field if you are struggling with depression. I would strongly consider deferring till you're in a better mental state, imo.

Let's try not to be so glum, shall we? The OP is depressed as it is. Vets do not have crazy astronomical suicide rates. For the numbers that are out there, compared to other medical professions, we're fairly average. The studies that come up with those numbers are not very statistically strong, and often disagree with each other... so half the professions wind up thinking theirs has one of the highest rates. And some would suggest any increased rates that may exist may be due more to increased follow through on suicidal thoughts with access to mechanisms with which to kill yourself (ie, drugs) than actual increased suicidal thoughts.

Anyways, struggling with depression is not in and of itself a reason to not become a vet. You will change a lot in school. Just because you're depressed going into school doesn't mean you will be depressed coming out, doesn't mean you will be when you're working, and certainly does not mean you'll turn suicidal. And vice versa. Should you start school if you're currently depressed to the point of having suicidal thoughts? Probably not, but just dealing with depression does not automatically mean you should defer, or not become a vet. I feel like I've seen mental health come up on this forum a lot lately and the conversation always ends up turning into: you should really consider deferring (I'm not targeting anyone specifically here, just a general trend). Yes, that may be the right choice for some people and you should know it's an option, but I hate all the one sided encouragement for deferral from people who don't know the people posting at all. And I really don't want people to start thinking that having mental health problems automatically means you can't handle school. There are many people for whom deferring would worsen their depression--feeling pressured to find something to do for the next year, feeling down that you've put off your dream, feeling like a failure, feeling that you let your depression beat you, etc. This is an extremely personal decision. Vet school impacts everyone differently. Even you may not be able to accurately predict how it will affect you. While our input into knowing what you're facing may be helpful, don't let our opinions weigh too heavily on you. This is something you need to decide with your family or your doctor or whoever you feel most comfortable with. You can choose to defer or not, but either way, being aware of your problem and working on solving it should eventually take you in the right direction if you're persistent with it. But part of that includes building a support system and not ignoring any effect your depression may be having on your academic performance--aka, talking to the professionals at your school whose job it is to deal with these things.

Reactions: 6 users
I always thought dentistry had high suicide rates. Cuz no one wants to go to the dentist...

Thank you for all the advice everyone. Dovelover: I appreciate the I may change a lot in school. I'm thinking I don't want to defer but instead decide whether I'm likely to be able to handle vet school. Even if I had my depression completely under control, experience has taught me it can still easily come back again. How much free time in vet school do you usually have? Is it possible to take an hour a day after classes to unwind while still maintaining good grades? And maybe a few hours on a saturday? Escalla, you mentioned taking a leave. Do most vet schools allow this? If I give vet school a try but my depression becomes severe again would I be allowed to take a leave to get my act together? Is this only allowed at the end of a school year?

Thank you for all the advice everyone. Dovelover: I appreciate the I may change a lot in school. I'm thinking I don't want to defer but instead decide whether I'm likely to be able to handle vet school. Even if I had my depression completely under control, experience has taught me it can still easily come back again. How much free time in vet school do you usually have? Is it possible to take an hour a day after classes to unwind while still maintaining good grades? And maybe a few hours on a saturday? Escalla, you mentioned taking a leave. Do most vet schools allow this? If I give vet school a try but my depression becomes severe again would I be allowed to take a leave to get my act together? Is this only allowed at the end of a school year?

Yes, you can take an hour a day after classes. Yes, you can have a few hours on Saturday to yourself. I have taken full days off before. You can take a mental health day and forget about vet school every once in a while. I have definitely done all of the above and then some. I have taken full weekends off where I refuse to look at vet school stuff. You just have to know your own limits and balance things. You can't be all vet school 100% of the time or you will burn out and dare I say even have worse grades than if you took some time to just breathe, relax and enjoy time away from vet school.

I can't comment on all vet schools, but I can say that quite a good number of them will allow for a deferment for a year if you have good reason for needing it. Whether it be your own health or health of a very close family member. You just have to discuss it with them should you feel it ever gets to that point that you need that.

How much free time in vet school do you usually have? Is it possible to take an hour a day after classes to unwind while still maintaining good grades?
You can have as much free time in vet school as you make for yourself. Yes, both of those are possible, BUT you are already on the wrong path with the "and still get good grades." You need to let go of that mentality if you want to protect your mental health. If you have the mentality of "doing everything you should for school before giving yourself a break" you will NEVER have any time left over. You will always be behind, and you will always feel like you're drowning. To make time for yourself, you need to schedule that hour every day of winding down, and maybe a whole Saturday or Fri night as non-school time and RESPECT IT. Then you make do with whatever time you have left. As long as you're passing, it doesn't matter.

I made it a habit to spend every weekend not doing anything school related. And it's good to know your learning style. I don't absorb anything from lectures. And I'm someone who learns best by sitting down for hours at a time and completing everything I need to associated with a task (I.e. I suck at utilizing 30 min-hour here and there). And I'm an epic procrastinator. I will set myself up for failure if I put together a study schedule. So what worked for me was never going to school except for mandatory labs and things. My weekend was sacred, I spent it with my boyfriend. Mon/tues I spent getting clinical experience and doing independent research. Then I studied nonstop for like 48 hours on wed-thurs. and Fri was sleep time. I actually graduated in the top quartile of my class, but I don't think I would have done it any other way even if I were a B-C student.

Do you really need high motivation to get through school? I've been looking through sdn and saw posters that believed to get through vet school you need the mindset that vetmed is all you can see yourself doing, otherwise another career is a better way to go. I applied to vetmed while I was depressed, and chose vetmed partially because working at vet clinics with animals was meaningful to me and brought me some happiness. But my depression has improved since then and I can see myself happy in other fields. I see vetmed as a very satisfactory career choice. I have motivation, but not to the point where I see vetmed as a true "calling."
Dovelover's post made me consider the fact that I have been depressed to the point of suicidal thoughts before. If I really fall downhill for some reason professional school with severe depression can't be a good combination. If I build free time into my schedule, which sounds very possible, I think I could get through. But is my motivation less than most vet students?
sorry for all the questions and concerns. Hearing from others helps give me different perspectives. Thank you for all the help.

Do you really need high motivation to get through school? I've been looking through sdn and saw posters that believed to get through vet school you need the mindset that vetmed is all you can see yourself doing, otherwise another career is a better way to go. I applied to vetmed while I was depressed, and chose vetmed partially because working at vet clinics with animals was meaningful to me and brought me some happiness. But my depression has improved since then and I can see myself happy in other fields. I see vetmed as a very satisfactory career choice. I have motivation, but not to the point where I see vetmed as a true "calling."
Dovelover's post made me consider the fact that I have been depressed to the point of suicidal thoughts before. If I really fall downhill for some reason professional school with severe depression can't be a good combination. If I build free time into my schedule, which sounds very possible, I think I could get through. But is my motivation less than most vet students?
sorry for all the questions and concerns. Hearing from others helps give me different perspectives. Thank you for all the help.

People get into vet med for different reasons. I think what a lot of those other posts you've seen were getting at is that vet med is not a career you do unless you have a passion for it. It doesn't have to be your only passion, but I'd imagine there is some reason why you chose it over the other options (and I'm assuming it wasn't good money or flexible hours). A lot of people decide they want to be vets at a young age, so they never really consider doing anything else, so it is their "calling." I went into vet med because it was a comfortable field for me. I liked the idea of professional school because it is very structured and had a clear end goal... and I was feeling very lost and confused at the point when I was choosing what career path to put myself on. I liked medicine, but sick people grossed me out. So my choice to go into vet med was really a logical one, and I did consider other career paths at various points in time. But that doesn't mean I'm not passionate about the field. I think the question for you is, is there another career you see yourself happier in than vet med, or is it just a feeling of "X career is easier and I think I'd be happy doing that too." You also have to consider whether what you're feeling right now are true doubts, or if you're just experiencing the oh so common cold feet phenomenon. :coldfeet: If you do think you're making a mistake by going into vet med, now's the time to get out (although I'd recommend deferring rather than outright quitting at this point, just to make sure)

So, I wrote a long philosophical paragraph about motivation before deciding it was over the top. Basically, you won't feel 100% motivated all the time. In fact, it will be a rare occurrence. As long as you have something driving you to find that motivation when you need to and encouraging you to keep going when the going get's tough, you'll be alright. I guess I never really thought that hard before school started about being able to motivate myself in school (I was more worried about making friends than about the workload, unlike every other single person in my orientation group), so I may not be the best person to say, it all works itself out. But I feel like it mostly does. If you really want to be a vet, even if it's not your lifelong calling only thing you could imagine yourself doing dream job, chances are pretty good you'll find something that drives you through school. It may be the little things, like getting good grades, feeling like you learned a lot after volunteering at a clinic, successfully doing (insert basic technical skill here) for the first time. I think the closer you get to earning your DVM, the easier it is to find the idea of becoming a vet as motivation to get through school.
And this still wound up being kinda long. Oh well.

As for your last concern, I'm not really sure I can say much. All you can really do is take a serious personal inventory of how you feel now, what your triggers have been in the past, and use that to make your best prediction of how vet school will affect you. And it's just another reason why you really need to have a good support system in place, including someone at school who knows what's going on. You you should really know what your options are (ie, medical leave, where to find counselors or doctors), before you find yourself in a situation when you think you might need to use them.

Best of luck with all the serious thinking you have ahead of you!

Some sort of "faith" in the subject (or generally the track you've chosen) does a lot. Give it an honest try, there are always students with health issues or students whose parents are dying at the moment etc and they still make it (that was a friend of mine). I guess if you believe in what you're studying it can actually help you not to give in. You get less focused on your personal guilts and frustrations and eventually this might actually be a way out. Though I don't know you or your story, this is just an observation of mine.

Good luck anyways.

Some sort of "faith" in the subject (or generally the track you've chosen) does a lot. Give it an honest try, there are always students with health issues or students whose parents are dying at the moment etc and they still make it (that was a friend of mine). I guess if you believe in what you're studying it can actually help you not to give in. You get less focused on your personal guilts and frustrations and eventually this might actually be a way out. Though I don't know you or your story, this is just an observation of mine.

Good luck anyways.

Just a side note: Often when it comes to depression, it doesn't always matter the amount of faith or how much you set your mind to things, you can still be dragged down. That's the real danger of it. It's not something where you can just focus on what you want and leave it behind always. Realizing that and taking the appropriate steps to manage it is often the only way to get through.

Just thought I'd clear up any misconceptions.

Just a side note: Often when it comes to depression, it doesn't always matter the amount of faith or how much you set your mind to things, you can still be dragged down. That's the real danger of it. It's not something where you can just focus on what you want and leave it behind always. Realizing that and taking the appropriate steps to manage it is often the only way to get through.

Just thought I'd clear up any misconceptions.

This is true when it comes to any significant life scenario. Whether it be depression, physical health problems, family with health problems, horrific end to a relationship, death of a close friend or family member, etc. Some people are able to buckle down and focus on one thing, it is a way to keep their mind off the other things going on in their life. Other people can not. The important thing to remember is that everyone handles and deals with life issues in a different way and there is no wrong or right way to do so.

Reactions: 2 users
Reading the above posts made me think that I wanted to add something about what I said about motivation above. I was talking about in general regarding whether you should try to get through vet school if you think you could be happy with another option, not specifically regarding going through a bout of depression. Because honestly, as has been mentioned, all the motivation in the world sometimes can't get you going when you're depressed. I don't want you to think I'm saying that the idea of being a vet is so awesome that it can get you through anything, because I realize it kinda reads like that.

Hi. Thank you for all of your help and advice. My latest medication, the one I was on when I first started this thread, had seemed to start working but I had to get off it because it started causing suicidal thoughts. I'm looking at having to start new medication. It sounds like some of you have either experienced or knew people in vet school who experienced depression. Do you know if any of them were actively trying to find an antidepressant that worked for them and if they were able to hold out in school until they found one/how hard it was for them to be trying new medications while in school? It seems less likely I'll find one before school starts. My school has their own counselor so I thought I could work with her and my doctor. This isn't the first time the anti-depressant I was trying caused me to have suicidal thoughts or other upsetting side-effects. I'm worried I might not find an anti-depressant that I can tolerate. My doctor has been optimistic but despite this I'm concerned. I've tried multiple anti-depressants so far. The problem with them is it takes at least a couple of weeks to find out how they're going to affect me and if they will help. I had been on this medication for 2.5 weeks. I don't know if having a counselor and building free time into my schedule will be enough. When my last medication seemed to start working I got optimistic and thought I would be able to go. But now that I just again experienced suicidal thoughts and bad depression I'm hit again with the reality of it and the fact that even though I had been optimistic and very hopeful not even a week before I still couldn't prevent it from happening.