This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doc-PT

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am about to take the national boards next week and I am beginning to think about post-exam employment (finally!). At any rate, the SNF I worked at during my last rotation has shown interest in hiring me since I left and has, informally, already offered me a job. I would love to know what kind of salary I should expect as a new grad DPT in a SNF if anyone has any input. Also, if anyone has any new grad SNF salary info for Vermont in particular that would be awesome. Thanks in advance for any input at all regarding starting salaries in SNF's!

Members don't see this ad.

35/40 hour employed

You don't know our market. You're range is more in line with higher end starting outpatient or just acute if away from an amc.

Snfs and HH pay 40+ on the lower end. Dependent on rural, may be 45-50

If you're pooling Google data then that's off and low for what you think would be starting.

Our market is significantly under demand until approximately 2025 for now. Hence, large sign on bonuses and increasing wages

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You don't know our market. You're range is more in line with higher end starting outpatient or just acute if away from an amc.

If you're pooling Google data then that's off and low for what you think would be starting.

Our market is significantly under demand until approximately 2025 for now. Hence, large sign on bonuses and increasing wages
It came from a hiring manager fot a facility in centraal FL with direct knowledge of 6 others

I'm happy for you if you can get more elsewhere

Reactions: 1 users
I don't know about Vermont, but around here (urban, NOT on a coast) my SNF friends started at $43-45/hr as new grads. And that was several years ago. YMMV.

Vermont? Crap

For some reason I thought you asked about FL

Thanks for the input so far! It sounds mixed like I expected...I have to admit I'm still not really clear on what I should expect for salary as a new grad. If anyone has any experience in SNFs or has more input I'm sure a lot of us would really appreciate it! Salary data for new grads seems to be sparse and I really don't wanna work for less than my time is worth especially with my crazy student debt and all the time spent in school!!

Are you referring to Vermont's market specifically?

I don't know about Vermont, but around here (urban, NOT on a coast) my SNF friends started at $43-45/hr as new grads. And that was several years ago. YMMV.
Do you mind specifying the city or state that you are referencing? Thanks!

One of my friends (new grad) just got a job offer at a SNF in SoCal for $44/hr.

Salaried SNF jobs for PT's is dumb IMO. If you want to work in SNF's do PRN, you'll probably get around 55/hr. There's always work and hours. Just do a good job. Get your own insurance and forget about PTO. 2k x 15-20= 30-40k more.

Salaried SNF jobs for PT's is dumb IMO. If you want to work in SNF's do PRN, you'll probably get around 55/hr. There's always work and hours. Just do a good job. Get your own insurance and forget about PTO. 2k x 15-20= 30-40k more.
PRN is something I haven't really haven't considered. How much is yearly liability insurance? Based on your figures I'm calculating yearly pay near the six figure mark...is that right from your experience? And here are a few more questions regarding PRN:

Have you been doing PRN for a while?

Does it allow you to stay local or do you have to travel/ get room and board elsewhere?

Is finding work really dependable from month to month, yearl to year?

How do you jump in and do your best work at a place that is completely new to you all the time?

Are productivity standards the same for a prn who's never been in the facility before? (Between not knowing where rooms are, not knowing their methods of documentation etc... I could see it being a challenge at least at first)

Do you find yourself working more weekends and holidays because that's when you're needed?

How much is yearly liability insurance? 160

Based on your figures I'm calculating yearly pay near the six figure mark...is that right from your experience? If you work 40 hours per week x 55 = 110k, depends how much you work. I could get 70/wk if I wanted.

Have you been doing PRN for a while? The past 5 years or so

Does it allow you to stay local or do you have to travel/ get room and board elsewhere? I stay local. Depends where you live, how saturated it is with PT's.

Is finding work really dependable from month to month, yearl to year? Yes, just do good work.

How do you jump in and do your best work at a place that is completely new to you all the time? If you do good work you won't be jumping around for long. There's lot's of carryover between arenas of physical therapy but it takes experience

Are productivity standards the same for a prn who's never been in the facility before? (Between not knowing where rooms are, not knowing their methods of documentation etc... I could see it being a challenge at least at first). Yes but newbies are given leeway for a while, ~ 1 wk

Do you find yourself working more weekends and holidays because that's when you're needed? Yes

How much is yearly liability insurance? 160

Based on your figures I'm calculating yearly pay near the six figure mark...is that right from your experience? If you work 40 hours per week x 55 = 110k, depends how much you work. I could get 70/wk if I wanted.

Have you been doing PRN for a while? The past 5 years or so

Does it allow you to stay local or do you have to travel/ get room and board elsewhere? I stay local. Depends where you live, how saturated it is with PT's.

Is finding work really dependable from month to month, yearl to year? Yes, just do good work.

How do you jump in and do your best work at a place that is completely new to you all the time? If you do good work you won't be jumping around for long. There's lot's of carryover between arenas of physical therapy but it takes experience

Are productivity standards the same for a prn who's never been in the facility before? (Between not knowing where rooms are, not knowing their methods of documentation etc... I could see it being a challenge at least at first). Yes but newbies are given leeway for a while, ~ 1 wk

Do you find yourself working more weekends and holidays because that's when you're needed? Yes
Thanks for taking hr time to answer my questions. It sounds like PRN is something I'll have to consider!

If you work 40 hours per week x 55 = 110k, depends how much you work. I could get 70/wk if I wanted.
but you said that 55/hr is a PRN rate....so based on that calculation youre doing 40 hrs PRN work?

Is it fair to assume that I should be looking for an offer upwards of 70k/year for a full time position at an SNF? Preferably mid 70s?

I have been offered $35/hr at an SNF, which is about what I expected but I'm not as thrilled as I could be either. There was no mention of a sign-on bonus either. So...any opinions/advice? Should I counter for $36/hour? Should I ask about a sign-on bonus? Or should I just accept as-is?