Starting Salary for DPT new-grads

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
....so PTs are all rich white women? How could anyone possibly believe this? There are more women then (sic) men, but saying it's all rich white women is ridiculous.

Touche. I am exaggerating. The actual numbers are not *so bad* - but we do have a huge shortage of Latinos and African Americans in both of our fields, and both fields are imbalanced with men massively underrepresented. There should be 75% more African American PTs and OTs alone. 88% Women? That's a problem. Pt has a even bigger problem with black and Latinos than I thought. Yikes.

BLS REPORTS -
72% of PTs are women, 88% of OTs are women
4.3% of PTs are black. 7.2% of OTs are black.
12.5% of PTs are Asian, 8.6% of OTs are Asians
4.9% of PTs are Latino , 6.5% of OTs are Latino
-----------------------------------------------------------------

PT is 78.3% white, and 72% female
OT is 77.7% white, and 88% female

According to Census America is:
50% female/50% male
72.4% White (European or Middle Eastern)
4.8% Asian
12.6% African American
---------------------------------------------------------------------

As for socioeconomics - I'd bet dollars to donuts that lower class people are underrepresented and rich white women are overrepresented in OT and PT. I'll see if I can find SES stats.

Members don't see this ad.

What's your point?

72.4% white, 12.6% black, 6.2% Hispanic, 5% Asian Here are the stats for chiropractors.

Reactions: 1 user
What's your point?

72.4% white, 12.6% black, 6.2% Hispanic, 5% Asian Here are the stats for chiropractors.

Let me boil it down for you:

Lack of diversity is a MAJOR problem in our field. We are a white, female field overwhelmingly, and I believe that if you dig into it we are from middle/upper income SES, and that is only going to get more monolithic as we demand a larger financial investment to become a practitioner. I know that might not bother you, but that bothers me. I want my field to reflect the diversity in this country. Your field has 4.3% black practitioners, last I checked our nation is 13% black nearly. That's rather terrible. Diversity counts. Let me know how your $100 an hour job hunt goes though....

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Those stats are pretty standard. Nursing is only 5% black and engineering is around 3% black. It says more about the country. We all need to do our part to help diversity.

Do you regret becoming an OT? Your posts reek of bitterness.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

9.9% of RNs are black or African American (BLS REPORTS) Where do you make up your figures from? Same website where you find the $100 an hour pt jobs? PT has nearly half as many African Americans than represented in nursing. Less than OT, and less than a good many fields in the BLS reports? I find that problematic, and this is a specific problem in both of our fields.

I love OT. You strike me as someone who lacks the ability to think critically.

Those stats are pretty standard. Nursing is only 5% black and engineering is around 3% black. It says more about the country. We all need to do our part to help diversity.

Yes he loves ot so much that he started two separate threads on the psych subsection about ways in which he can transition out of ot and into a clinical psych career

Yes he loves ot so much that he started two separate threads on the psych subsection about ways in which he can transition out of ot and into a clinical psych career

Is that supposed to be a gotcha? I love OT, which is what I asserted in the thread; and yep I like mental health and considered a PhD in psychology. I ultimately concluded that working in an OT mental health setting would be for me. I don't lean towards unqualified positive statements, and instead of looking at critical views of the field of rehab as a sense of weakness I view it as a sign of strength in a decision. That doesn't mean I dislike my field, on the contrary, I think it is a sign of professional and personal growth to think critically about where best to use one's talents, and where one can affect the most change possible.

The challenges of productivity demands in some work settings are not something I have enjoyed, but I do love patient interaction, and the OT focus on wellness, patient centered goals, ADLs and IADLs. From my experience, and my discussion with clinicians in multiple settings, I've seen productivity demands increasing, and at times becoming a main focus. Some clinicians have argued, and I think with merit that this may eventually come at the expense of patient care.

The same person who thought it was "weird" that an OT would discuss PT asserted all kinds of wishful thinking: ranging from fantasy salary expectations and even a $100 an hour wage, false diversity stats compared to nursing, and false growth rates of the field.

It may be helpful to focus on the real issues: the debate about the need for a doctorate/degree inflation/ the cost-benefit analysis of rehab degrees, productivity demands, managed care, lack of gender and racial diversity in our fields, and decreasing reimbursement you've elected to make this a personal attack.

I have rehabilitation resources for PT/OTs who may want them. Please message me privately. I don't have any animus towards anyone, nor do I have an agenda. Seriously people.

Last edited:
Sour grapes. You can say i'm wrong, doesn't mean Its true. You're pushing a negative image of PT and OT that is greatly exaggerated. No one forced you into this field.

Just because you're unhappy doesn't mean OT is a bad field, Job satisfaction is extremely high.

Anyone can PM if they'd like to discuss real possibilities within the field of PT.

Sour grapes. You can say i'm wrong, doesn't mean Its true. You're pushing a negative image of PT and OT that is greatly exaggerated. No one forced you into this field.

Just because you're unhappy doesn't mean OT is a bad field, Job satisfaction is extremely high.

Anyone can PM if they'd like to discuss real possibilities within the field of PT.

I guess you're opting for more ad hominem instead of focusing on issues; I've repeatedly provided you with statistics, and all you can do is spout how "bitter" I sound because the statistics do not conform to your statements. You're entitled to an opinion, you are not entitled to your own facts. $100 an hour is an absurd figure for any PT or OT to make, it just doesn't happen. That's 200k a year.

The "negatives" I am "pushing" are areas of concern I have for our field. This doesn't mean I don't like my field, or think the work we do is valuable, it means these are areas of concern.
I am confused as to how much more clear I can be: I like rehab for many many reasons, and I think we have many challenges in our fields. The challenges I listed are clear: productivity demands, reimbursement declining, and climbing student debt. I would encourage you to actually ask around: these are commonly cited concerns in our fields. Lack of gender and racial diversity in our fields respective to other fields is a legitimate concern.

In OT we have the debate raging currently about the move to a "doctorate", and I think it is an unwarranted regressive move. Clinicians do not see salary increase with a "doctorate" in PT or OT, I also fail to see why we can't optimize OT programs and include a great deal of the information in elective format, or in certificate programs after gaining experience. Saddling students with an additional 50-80k in debt for a "doctoral" degree is not the right move imho. I do not consider the practitioner's doctorate a true doctorate, hence why I use quotations around it. An OTD or DPT does not provide someone with an easier path towards an academic career. To pursue academics a doctorate would be a PhD in a related field, or in OT/PT. I think we will not see the end of the degree inflation, there will soon be "post doc" requirements, and for what? SOON, qualified applicants who wish to impart a difference in patient lives might not see the advantages of a 6 figure pt or ot degree when a medical degree earns 5 times as much money and is barely twice as much debt. PA is less/the same investment and is "just" a MS and earns 30-50% more than a PT or OT degree.

Last edited:
This is a trend for all degrees, even my friends who got good jobs on wall street had to go back to school to get MBA's and masters of financial engineering degrees just to break 6 figures.

My uncle does wealth management in NYC and he works for a PT who makes 5 mil a year owning multiple practices. Not saying its common, but the money is there.
PTs can open their own practices, home health care agencies, or start business somewhere else within the field of physical therapy.
Legislation is changing each year for DPTs and now that there's larger commercial players owning practices there is more money going towards lobbying in our name.
Not even gonna start discussing whether the large commercial PT companies are a positive or negative. Things are changing, hopefully in the right direction.

PAs can't own their own practices as far as i know, or pick up additional PRN shifts like PTs can. This is the reason why students are breaking down the doors to get into a PT program. The money and jobs are there if you want them. You can pick up PRN shifts and make and addition 20k on top of your salary.

Do you really think all the kids applying to PT school each year are just being tricked??
They're becoming PTs because its the best time to be a DPT.

This is a trend for all degrees, even my friends who got good jobs on wall street had to go back to school to get MBA's and masters of financial engineering degrees just to break 6 figures.

My uncle does wealth management in NYC and he works for a PT who makes 5 mil a year owning multiple practices. Not saying its common, but the money is there.
PTs can open their own practices, home health care agencies, or start business somewhere else within the field of physical therapy.
Legislation is changing each year for DPTs and now that there's larger commercial players owning practices there is more money going towards lobbying in our name.
Not even gonna start discussing whether the large commercial PT companies are a positive or negative. Things are changing, hopefully in the right direction.

PAs can't own their own practices as far as i know, or pick up additional PRN shifts like PTs can. This is the reason why students are breaking down the doors to get into a PT program. The money and jobs are there if you want them. You can pick up PRN shifts and make and addition 20k on top of your salary.

Do you really think all the kids applying to PT school each year are just being tricked??
They're becoming PTs because its the best time to be a DPT.

5 MILLION a year! 200 an hour! Why not $1000 an hour? Wealth management, that explains a lot. You should write pamphlets for programs, or telemarket that stuff. Can you please tell me why you need a "doctorate" to do any of the things you described? Opening a practice is not only difficult to establish a client base but requires an ability to navigate health care regulations, and problems like finding and maintaining EMR systems and decreasing reimbursement rates set to get even lower, staffing retention. A clinician who does that isn't likely to get "rich" quick, and is likely to pour many many many hours in excess of working in a traditional job as a staff member.

Practically speaking: How many clinicians opt to open a practice? Ask people in your class. I don't have stats, it happens, but the vast majority of clinicians do not do so, and are employed in traditional jobs by employers. Those outpatient practices you celebrate so much in your thread can be good places, they can also be patient mills. The trend in healthcare is to move to tertiary care associated with hospitals. I am not so optimistic, and as you can see from others who chimed in above: most of us are concerned about the future of rehab.

As to your question: I do not think students are being "tricked", I do think a doctorate is superfluous. We are adding to the cost exponentially and without reason; and in OT we are mirroring that bad idea set forth already by PT of degree inflation. I do think 100k+ in debt doesn't make much sense. I don't think you're lying, but I would like to hear your pov after practicing as a PT.

Last edited:
Maybe I'm just lucky, both of my mentors opened their own practice. One is wildly successful and already has 4 PTs working under him and he's only 29. The other is doing great also, it's just him, and aide, and a secretary.
What i meant is that my uncle works in wealth management, and one of his clients is a PT that owns multiple practices. I realize I'm sharing anecdotal stories, but i feel like they're important to share.
PT salaries aren't a secret, I'm not trying to sell some false representation.

The money is there, you just have to figure out your role in making that money.

Also who are you ranting to? This forum didn't chose tuition prices, it wasn't our idea to change it to a DPT, yet you love to lash out.
You're on a physical therapy forum, ranting against being a physical therapist. Not to mention that none of your points are concrete.

Your responses say more about you, than the field of PT.

Also who are you ranting to? This forum didn't chose tuition prices, it wasn't our idea to change it to a DPT, yet you love to lash out.
You're on a physical therapy forum, ranting against being a physical therapist. Not to mention that none of your points are concrete.

Your responses say more about you, than the field of PT.

I think it's a worthy discussion to have regarding the concerns I have, if you don't agree, ignore it. I think dictating that others only discuss issues in which they have agency over, and not to discuss trends in the field is absurd.

Despite your repeated assertions to the contrary I've never ONCE intimated that PT is not a good field or a worthy field to pursue, yet you have elected to interpret my concerns (also on my field) about education, debt load, diversity, salary trends, reimbursement concerns, and productivity demands as me "ranting against being a physical therapist".

Either PT is an unqualified perfect field, OR I'm trashing PT? I've tried....... This rationale is eerily familiar of the Bush "with us or against us" days.....

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Just land a decent job and pick up PRN shifts when you can. Are you willing to move to an area with higher OT salaries? I recently joined the private practice section of the APTA, it's opening my eyes to the lanes within the field of rehabilitation.

Research everything that's happening within OT right now and figure out what you want to pursue. Talk to the people who are doing the things you want to be doing within your field.
Also look into working OT for public education or military, I know they help with debt, but i don't know the details about that.

Last edited:
I skimmed through this post and haven't read everything, but from what I've read I think that @occupationaltherapyguy has raised a lot of valid points for pre-PT students to consider. During my undergraduate studies in Rehabilitation Science I was fortunate enough to work as a rehab aide in several clinical settings (inpt ICU/stroke rehab/ortho postop, outpt ortho/neuro/SNF). During my time as an aide I met a lot of young PTs and while many of them were happy, many had regrets due to their scope of practice, fear of oversaturation, decreasing compensation with increased workload, etc. After spending a lot of time in the clinic I realized that PT wasn't for me, mainly because I wanted to do other things with my 40-year long career (which is why I eventually took the PA route) but also due to my own concerns about the prognosis of the field. For starters, I couldn't justify spending 3 full-time years after undrgrad + tons of $ to obtain a clinical doctorate which hasn't really improved physical theapists' autonomy, scope of practice, salary, etc. I disagree with the push towards clinical doctorates, and I think that it is very unfortunate that all healthcare fields are trending this way (DNP, DPT, PhamrD, DOT by 2020?, and possibly PA). Also, the alarming growth of new PT schools is frightening since there will be a point, hopefully not soon, where the supply will greatly outweigh the demand and salaries will begin to plummet (which is really scary for everyone in southwest Pennsylvania since the healthcare monopoly already starts new OTs at $48k/yr and PTs around $54k in an inpatient setting!!).

I am not trying to convince any pre-PT person to ditch the profession, but I think that it is very important to think about what to expect upon graduation. It is unlikely to start at/above $80k/yr unless one or more of the following applies: you work in the middle of nowhere, happen to know someone who is affiliated with a private clinic, work in a SNF (which isn't a bad thing depending on your preference and the quality of the clinic), work a ton of overtime, or live in an area with a high cost of living. It is very frustrating that tons of PT schools market the profession in a way that applicants think "hey, I won't have to worry about the debt because I'll have a doctorate and will be making >$100k/year right out of school!" It seems like there's a disconnect between what pre-PT students expect and what is actually happening, as I experienced first hand, and IMO things aren't as great as they are marketed to be.

I apologize if I came off an being offensive in anyway, I'm just trying to point out some of the things that were going on in my head while I was trying to decide between PT vs. PA school for the better part of 2 years. I highly recommend that all pre-PT students spend as much time as possible in the clinic with as many PTs, and other health professionals, as possible. Of course the large tuition cost and time of schooling was a part of my decision making, but I also learned that I would not be satisfied long-term with my daily duties and scope of practice as a PT. It is a shame that PTs cannot Rx/interpret diagnostic imaging or even Rx some rehab specific drugs like analgesics, low dose muscle relaxants, etc. After thinking about it, I just couldn't wrap my head around the idea of spending 7 years of my life in school and then being limited to only performing rehabilitation - which at one point only required a certificate (and then bachelor's degree!). I think that education is important, but at what point are we spending too much time in school?

Last edited:
I skimmed through this post and haven't read everything, but from what I've read I think that @occupationaltherapyguy has raised a lot of valid points for pre-PT students to consider. During my undergraduate studies in Rehabilitation Science I was fortunate enough to work as a rehab aide in several clinical settings (inpt ICU/stroke rehab/ortho postop, outpt ortho/neuro/SNF). During my time as an aide I met a lot of young PTs and while many of them were happy, many had regrets due to their scope of practice, fear of oversaturation, decreasing compensation with increased workload, etc. After spending a lot of time in the clinic I realized that PT wasn't for me, mainly because I wanted to do other things with my 40-year long career (which is why I eventually took the PA route) but also due to my own concerns about the prognosis of the field. For starters, I couldn't justify spending 3 full-time years after undrgrad + tons of $ to obtain a clinical doctorate which hasn't really improved physical theapists' autonomy, scope of practice, salary, etc. I disagree with the push towards clinical doctorates, and I think that it is very unfortunate that all healthcare fields are trending this way (DNP, DPT, PhamrD, DOT by 2020?, and possibly PA). Also, the alarming growth of new PT schools is frightening since there will be a point, hopefully not soon, where the supply will greatly outweigh the demand and salaries will begin to plummet (which is really scary for everyone in southwest Pennsylvania since the healthcare monopoly already starts new OTs at $48k/yr and PTs around $54k in an inpatient setting!!)

I apologize if I came off an being offensive in anyway, I'm just trying to point out some of the things that were going on in my head while I was trying to decide between PT vs. PA school for the better part of 2 years. I highly recommend that all pre-PT students spend as much time as possible in the clinic with as many PTs, and other health professionals, as possible. Of course the large tuition cost and time of schooling was a part of my decision making, but I also learned that I would not be satisfied long-term with my daily duties and scope of practice as a PT. It is a shame that PTs cannot Rx/interpret diagnostic imaging or even Rx some rehab specific drugs like analgesics, low dose muscle relaxants, etc. After thinking about it, I just couldn't wrap my head around the idea of spending 7 years of my life in school and then being limited to only performing rehabilitation - which at one point only required a certificate (and then bachelor's degree!). I think that education is important, but at what point are we spending too much time in school?

It might be a pipe dream but I honestly believe DPTs will be able to order scans and write prescriptions. Military PTs already can, and from what i've heard, once more states grant direct access the APTA is going to focus all their energy towards bringing these responsibilities to civilian PTs.

I honestly believe DPTs will be able to order scans and write prescriptions.

As for me, I believe that PTs will sprout wings and be able to fly.

Seriously - APTA is weak, compared to AMA for the docs, and ACA (not that ACA) for the chiros. Just look at how much APTA spends on lobbying and compare it to how much AMA & ACA spend. In a climate where decreased reimbursements from Medicare and insurance agencies are unrelenting, each profession will fight tooth and nail to defend its turf.

It might be a pipe dream but I honestly believe DPTs will be able to order scans and write prescriptions. Military PTs already can, and from what i've heard, once more states grant direct access the APTA is going to focus all their energy towards bringing these responsibilities to civilian PTs.

I hope that this actually happens! If we, PTs/PAs/others, can learn anything from Nurse practitioners it's that: effective lobbying = results. They're able to practice w/o physician oversight in some states due to their ability to lobby effectively. I think that at least x-ray imaging should be under the scope of a DPT assuming that the appropriate coursework was added... I guess it would be difficult to figure out how this would work - for example, would future DPTs have to apply through the state board of medicine and be under a Physician in order to perform such duties?

Seriously - APTA is weak, compared to AMA for the docs, and ACA (not that ACA) for the chiros. Just look at how much APTA spends on lobbying and compare it to how much AMA & ACA spend. In a climate where decreased reimbursements from Medicare and insurance agencies are unrelenting, each profession will fight tooth and nail to defend its turf.

Nowadays, lobbying is everything.

Ok... Well military PTs already have the responsibility, so it's not a huge stretch of the imagination to think that civilian dpt's will soon have it also. Also as far as money goes, yes AMA and ACA have more money to play with, but these big 100+ Practice PT franchises have tons of new money to throw around. They're the ones who also benefit most from lobbying. ATI had advertising in the world series this year, it was beautiful to see.

Both OT and PT are 90%+ female, 90% + white

So that everyone is aware that diversity is slowly evolving in our profession, and to supplement BLS numbers posted above, here is data provided by APTA/PTCAS:

1. For the 2015-16 school year, 77.5% of newly enrolled first year DPT students were Caucasian.
2. In 2015 69.9% of APTA members were female. This percentage has been rock steady since 2000 (despite the fact that the percentage of students/new grads who are female has been steadily dropping over the last decade or so - it is possible that female PTs tend to join the APTA at higher rates than males, or that other confounding factors are at play).
3. a. During the 2015-16 PTCAS application cycle, 58.6% of applicants were female. Accepted applicants were 61.1% female. These percentages have been trending steadily downward since 2008-09.
b. During the 2015-16 PTCAS application cycle 66.29% of applicants reported being non-Hispanic Whites. 72.51% of accepted applicants were non-Hispanic whites.
4. APTA and PTJ reports that 4.2% of licensed US PTs are foreign-educated, with the vast majority being from the Philippines, India, the Middle East and Asia. This is in addition to the approximately 22% of PTs coming out of school right now who are not white.

So our profession is 70% female and roughly 70-75% white. Yes, males and non-whites are in the minority, but to say PTs are "90%+ female, 90% + white" is a big exaggeration. The percentage of male students and thus male new grads has trended steadily upward the last few years (percentage of female PTCAS applicants has dropped by about 1 percentage point per cycle over the last 7 application cycles). I suspect the percentage of non-white PTs will slowly increase over time as well.

So based on all of the above I think it is reasonable to guesstimate that in the next 10-15 years perhaps 40-45% of the profession will be white females.

References
1.http://www.capteonline.org/uploaded...gram_Data/AggregateProgramData_PTPrograms.pdf
2. http://www.apta.org/WorkforceData/DemographicProfile/PTMember/
3. http://www.ptcas.org/uploadedFiles/PTCASorg/About_PTCAS/PTCASApplicantDataRpt.pdf
4. http://www.apta.org/PTinMotion/News/2015/8/28/FEPTQuiz/

Last edited:
Over the last month or so I have received a few DMs asking "is a DPT really worth the cost" or some variation of "I've been accepted at several schools, which one should I pick?" Since those questions seem to crop up regularly, I thought of posting my response here.

IMO, the decision to go for a DPT should be a personal one; it's fine to ask for others' opinions and advice, but in the end you'll have to make your own decision and live with the consequences. There won't be a "burning bush" moment where the Truth is revealed to you in all its splendor. That said, I think it can be a fairly straightforward process if you keep in mind 3 things:

1. Things totally under your control:
- Where you go to school: will you go to USC or your state school? Just be aware that school rankings are meaningless. Employers only care about your being licensed, not the school you went to.
- Your lifestyle while you are in school: do you want to live like a Trappist monk, or like Kim Kardashian/Johnny Depp?
- These 2 decisions will have a huge impact on how much expenses you will incur.

2. Things largely under your control:
- Where you plan to work after you graduate: in a big city with lots of entertainment, dining, cultural, etc, activities? Most likely it will also be a high-COL area. Or in a rural/semi-rural area with lower COL? Or can you stay in the city and commute out to a rural area during the week (that's what I am doing). There is also a difference in pay, depending on the work setting: SNFs usually pay the most, outpatient PT the least.
- Your personal plans for the future: do you plan to get married and have kids soon after graduation? Buy a house? Or continue to live like a student for a few years to pay off your debt and build up some savings?

3. Things totally outside your control:
- Healthcare reform;
- Medicare and insurance reimbursements.
I wouldn't waste any time worrying about things in this category. While you do have some input (through your elected representatives), it's highly unlikely it will have a significant influence.

Use Excel to build up a budget for when you are in school, and for when you have started working. See how the expenses stack up against your income, and I think the decision on whether to get a DPT, or which school to attend, will be much clearer.

Lastly, the career you start out with, does not have to be your one and only career. I have had several over the course of my professional life, and if I get tired of PT I will look to do something else. Life is an adventure, live it to the fullest.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
African American here...........

I agree 1000000% with occupationalguy. Lack of diversity is a major problem within the field and I'm currently in thought of choosing another field due to that reason. I'm currently finishing up my undergrad but while I'm doing that, I'm working as an PT Aide. I worked at 2 outpatient orthos and I currently work at a rehab hospital as an aide. All the therapist I work with are white. At the 2 outpatient orthos I worked at, it was more male dominated and all of them were suburban white guys who grew up in rich neighborhoods. At the hospital, about 90% of the staff are white women who also came from suburban rich neighborhoods. As occupationalguy stated, most PT students come from neighborhoods that lack racial diversity. It's frightening because PTs are expected to be able to interact with a wide variety of different ethnic groups and most of them do not have that experience as I've seen first hand as aide.

Reactions: 5 users
Lack of diversity is a major problem within the field and I'm currently in thought of choosing another field due to that reason.

Why is it a major problem? 75% of the NBA is black. Is that a problem to?
Why aren't blacks attracted to PT/OT?
Why would you reject a field that lacks diversity? Few occupations are predominantly black.

I agree 1000000% with occupationalguy. Lack of diversity is a major problem within the field and I'm currently in thought of choosing another field due to that reason. I'm currently finishing up my undergrad but while I'm doing that, I'm working as an PT Aide. I worked at 2 outpatient orthos and I currently work at a rehab hospital as an aide. All the therapist I work with are white. At the 2 outpatient orthos I worked at, it was more male dominated and all of them were suburban white guys who grew up in rich neighborhoods. At the hospital, about 90% of the staff are white women who also came from suburban rich neighborhoods. As occupationalguy stated, most PT students come from neighborhoods that lack racial diversity. It's frightening because PTs are expected to be able to interact with a wide variety of different ethnic groups and most of them do not have that experience as I've seen first hand as aide.

I know exactly where you're coming from. I felt that way plenty of times while completing my observation hours and also working as an aide, however, it drove me even more to actually become a PT and encourage more of us in our community to pursue the profession. I don't know if you listen to J.Cole, but there's a line in one of his songs where he says "I turn the TV on, not one hero in sight/unless he dribbles or he fiddles with mics/" For the most part, those are the only two avenues that we think we can actually succeed in. Granted, there are other well-respected African Americans that have been successful in other careers and professions, but again, there are so few compared to the number of athletes and entertainers that the majority of society knows about, loves, and respects.

Reactions: 2 users

That's total bull****, I've worked with plenty of black PTs/OTs/PTAs in NYC, also be the change you want to see in PT. As long as no one is treating you different. I've never met these rich girl DPTs you guys speak of, and i've worked at a lot of different clinics. I do agree that some cities suck if you're a minority, but work somewhere with a strong minority population.

That's total bull****, I've worked with plenty of black PTs/OTs/PTAs in NYC, also be the change you want to see in PT. As long as no one is treating you different. I've never met these rich girl DPTs you guys speak of, and i've worked at a lot of different clinics. I do agree that some cities suck if you're a minority, but work somewhere with a strong minority population.

Its all perspective, just because you work with a couple PTs in a specific location doesn't mean that is an accurate representation of the profession. Lets not jump to conclusions.

Its all perspective, just because you work with a couple PTs in a specific location doesn't mean that is an accurate representation of the profession. Lets not jump to conclusions.
What I'm saying is that if you live in a city that isn't diverse, you can't complain when the work force isn't diverse, because that entire city isn't diverse.

SO if you live in a city with a strong minority population then i guarantee you you'll find minority PTs/OTs/PTAs

Yup, we shouldn't jump to conclusions. But that is exactly what YoungMD is doing. He is jumping to conclusions on the whole field based on his limited experience

Yup, we shouldn't jump to conclusions. But that is exactly what YoungMD is doing. He is jumping to conclusions on the whole field based on his limited experience
Of course you're going to see diversity in NYC....it's one of the most diverse cities in American...not surprised.

Not jumping to conclusions, just providing evidence , BASED ON MY OBSERVATIONS AND EXPERIENCES, to backup the statistics that occupationalguy stated. Yes, there are a lack of African Americans in the field. Yes, the field does attract white people from the suburbs. Yes, this is a female dominated profession.

Of course you're going to see diversity in NYC....it's one of the most diverse cities in American...not surprised.

Not jumping to conclusions, just providing evidence , BASED ON MY OBSERVATIONS AND EXPERIENCES, to backup the statistics that occupationalguy stated. Yes, there are a lack of African Americans in the field. Yes, the field does attract white people from the suburbs. Yes, this is a female dominated profession.

What city have you worked in?

Simple solution . . . move to a city that is diverse. You won't feel out of place in New York City.

Simple solution . . . move to a city that is diverse. You won't feel out of place in New York City.

I appreciate your comment, and I know cities are more diverse. There is a problem in our fields with a lack of diversity, and telling people to move to cities isn't the answer. There are minority applicants throughout our country, and when we have diversity rates massively under the averages (even for those non mega urban areas) we have a problem!

Our field should not be 90% white, 95% female.
Note: We need a focus on disadvantaged minorities. When you factor out Asians, we are bordering 90% white. Further, in OT we are at a 90%+ female stat at this point. PT is worse yet when it comes to the inclusion of African Americans and Latinos.

Another area of concern is the de facto segregation in our programs currently. My program was 100% white. I am currently accumulating stats for this, and trying to get a sponsor to do the research for it: my hypothesis is that the bulk of minority practitioners come from a FEW programs nationally. The rest of the programs are producing few minority practitioners. We need to take action, and that means on a policy level we need directives from AOTA to programs to look at diversity as an admissions factor (NOT quotas). Many programs do just stack applicants up by GPA and take the top scores; others yet do not even factor in diversity at all. They should.

Note: I am not pushing any "pc" agenda, or trying to shame anyone for being white (I am a white male). I want my field to be diverse and represent America because this is healthy for my field, and best for patients etc. Before dismissing me, think critically about your program, and other programs you have seen on an anecdotal level.

I couldn't justify spending 3 full-time years after undrgrad + tons of $ to obtain a clinical doctorate which hasn't really improved physical theapists' autonomy, scope of practice, salary, etc. I disagree with the push towards clinical doctorates, and I think that it is very unfortunate that all healthcare fields are trending this way (DNP, DPT, PhamrD, DOT by 2020?, and possibly PA). Also, the alarming growth of new PT schools is frightening since there will be a point, hopefully not soon, where the supply will greatly outweigh the demand and salaries will begin to plummet (which is really scary for everyone in southwest Pennsylvania since the healthcare monopoly already starts new OTs at $48k/yr and PTs around $54k in an inpatient setting!!).

I am not trying to convince any pre-PT person to ditch the profession, but I think that it is very important to think about what to expect upon graduation. It is unlikely to start at/above $80k/yr unless one or more of the following applies: you work in the middle of nowhere, happen to know someone who is affiliated with a private clinic, work in a SNF (which isn't a bad thing depending on your preference and the quality of the clinic), work a ton of overtime, or live in an area with a high cost of living. It is very frustrating that tons of PT schools market the profession in a way that applicants think "hey, I won't have to worry about the debt because I'll have a doctorate and will be making >$100k/year right out of school!" It seems like there's a disconnect between what pre-PT students expect and what is actually happening, as I experienced first hand, and IMO things aren't as great as they are marketed to be

From your mouth to God's ears. You are absolutely right.

Last edited:

No. They will never order prescriptions. That would change rehabilitation treatment directly to pharmaceutical treatment as drugs have the highest reimbursement and it would be gamed. If there is any remote point of a medical residency with 30 HR shifts outside of cheap hospital labor then it is to monitor patients from admission to discharge while taking care of their body's physiological response to pharmaceutical or heavy procedural intervention.

This would be physician infringement and is NOT a therapists place. Graded exposure to physical stress allows adaptation, compensation, substitution, and neuroplasticity to all come into play. That is the science of rehab. Unfortunately, unless payment goes to value less readmissions or less use of pharma and surgery, then reimbursements for therapy will not climb and pay scales will only fluctuate with inflation, geography, and supply and demand.

Nowadays, lobbying is everything.
If it represents valid and rigorous taxpayer funded education, then definitely.

Imaging for every joint in the body is integrated into programs now as students linearly learn msk for every joint following complete cadaver dissection with the 600+ muscle OINA emphasis for a biomechanics and functional approach, as well as the kinesiology and movement system coursework. At least a program with good structure.

In real practice, the therapists I see in sports and Ortho (both very different depending on the rehab stage) are having the imaging sent to them via emr and they educate patients and start rehab progressions altering lever arms and exercises to stay within certain ranges and one dimensional planes before transitioning to triple plane movements. Add in modalities and manual therapy and voile!

Neuro therapists receive and use neuroimaging to see where damage appears on the homunculus as well as which lobes have damage to better predict visuospatial deficits, Neurocognitive disorders that will require neuropsych or referral if in outpatient, or auditory or fine and smooth motor planning as signals travel downward to the spine, first being modulated in the cerebellum, then descending the brainstem to the spinal cord.

The problem: They aren't being paid for this. PCPs can order imaging for patients reporting possible Ortho issues but may never look at it and simply send them to the surgeon yet they receive compensation from insurance to my understanding. This is not all encompassing, but I know that interpretation of imaging will place serious workflow roadblocks in 10-30 min (max) visits....so it is simply passed off.

Over utilization of tests, excess imaging, and procedures make the U.S. a haven for waste compared to other countries. The problem is that the healthcare system rewards waste and legalities block and leave out certain servicers from having practice rights.

If there is decreased cost to a consumer in having a therapist receive imaging reimbursement which may decrease excess points of contact for the consumer as a whole then there are serious flaws in the system. Which is my thought personally. If not...then imaging may simply be over utilized by other workers and simply add to more waste if practice acts changed. If lobbying were to lead to the former then it would be ethical. If it would only lead to the latter then people would be paid more but clinics would get rampantly audited more, which could result in payers adding more paperwork to professions.

That being said a slight breakdown in referral and contact barriers for conservative management my be positive for the healthcare system. Consumers go directly to psychologists for behavioral and environmental management of psych conditions for example. Psychotherapy in long time lengths can produce the same outcomes as some of the psychopharmacology treatments.

I thought it was PA? Maybe that's the new one. Only took a glance.

Are there moderators on this subforum?

Only certain sections of the AMA are strong. Surgeons are for certain. Primary care doesn't do well to protect them from nursing.

ACA and acupuncturists primarily attack physical therapists, to my understanding, since the therapists allied with physicians historically and would drive them out of business through capitalistic competition. Defending placebo seems to be the name of the game there.

I hope that this actually happens! If we, PTs/PAs/others, can learn anything from Nurse practitioners it's that: effective lobbying = results. They're able to practice w/o physician oversight in some states due to their ability to lobby effectively. I think that at least x-ray imaging should be under the scope of a DPT assuming that the appropriate coursework was added... I guess it would be difficult to figure out how this would work - for example, would future DPTs have to apply through the state board of medicine and be under a Physician in order to perform such duties?

Therapists at my institution receive significantly more imaging coursework than the medical students. However, that's because it is directly linear to what is currently being done in practice. MD/DOs can only learn so much of literally every system in the body without failing out before they match their specialty.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the nurse practitioner lobby since legally, they are indistinguishable from physician treatment excluding a signature and "supervision." The field is taking over primary care due to physicians matching higher paying specialties and having an extended out training period under one system which, debatable but true, may or may not be the best path. Discuss the hours put in of a practicing PCP in residency under close supervision and compare that to the NP training model. Personally, if it isn't a flu shot at a minute clinic then I wouldn't want physician treatment to be independent without a close supervision role during training.

The nursing lobby is massive. It's probably one, if not the most represented.
Other professions have different practices but do lack the representation.

Ok... Well military PTs already have the responsibility, so it's not a huge stretch of the imagination to think that civilian dpt's will soon have it also. Also as far as money goes, yes AMA and ACA have more money to play with, but these big 100+ Practice PT franchises have tons of new money to throw around. They're the ones who also benefit most from lobbying. ATI had advertising in the world series this year, it was beautiful to see.

Big franchise interests exist in siphoning insurance through productivity to benefit administration primarily. I don't necessarily see the ones running it to really want to focus on a professions changing practice or what is good for patients. Sorry, I'm not a fan of franchises and I see all healthcare professionals that bill insurance getting pushed around. It's sad. That being said, that is purely my opinion.

Last edited:

I thought it was PA? Maybe that's the new one.

Again....Is that supposed to be a gotcha? My dad is a MD who started out as a medic in the Navy and earn a masters in Psych, then went to Med School. My mother is a RN ---> BSN then went on to earn a masters in religious studies, eventually going back for an NP degree. Circuitous route... but she wouldn't change a thing. I guess it runs in the family. There is a guy here named PTtoPA do you want to interrogate him about that too?

I like my career choice, and I'm interested in certain aspects of other fields, and I'm ok with that. Career growth, or change is A-OK with me if I like what I'm doing. Not in any rush to leave my field. I've always been interested in Psych (was a psych major), and PA (love conditions).
Instead of wasting time on ad hominems about "sour grapes" I'd love to see proof that the BLS stats I cited are false as was claimed. Crickets...Chirping.
Eh, he's demonstrating a phenomenon in the US: Trumpism. If you don't like facts, just say they aren't true.

Last edited:

I thought it was PA? Maybe that's the new one.

Again....Is that supposed to be a gotcha? I like my career choice, and I'm interested in certain aspects of other fields, and I'm ok with that. I've always been interested in Psych (was a psych major), and PA (love conditions). My dad is a doctor who started out as a medic in the Navy and got a masters in Psych, then went to Med School. My mother is a RN who got a masters in religious studies and then went back for her NP degree. Circuitous route... but she wouldn't change a thing. I guess it runs in the family. There is a guy here named PTtoPA do you want to interrogate him about that too?
Instead of wasting time on ad hominems I'd love to see the stats about all those PTs making $200 an hour - scroll up. Crickets. Chirping.

Average compensation is 84-85k due to insurance not opening up through the degrees transition.....evidence that our system is plagued by politics, third party control, and a lack of correct coding for services being done in many clinics currently.

90-110 is definitely available.
100/hr has been seen as prn.
Cash based entrepreneurs make six figures.
HH pays 50-70 FTE.
New therapists should budget to 60k worst case...offers here are 70-80k many times....and students should not attend school if they cannot be competitive enough for a relatively affordable school. That is the current education system we live in. If insurance opens up and learns of the differential diagnosis course sequences and outcomes good therapy can provide, then they will reimburse it. If not, then the field will have to revert back towards a shorter time length and match contract companies in a specific setting with mentorship and supervision similar to apprenticeships in the old days.

I'm done for now. Hope this can get back on topic.

Valuable input Jaded, much appreciated

Average compensation is 84-85k due to insurance not opening up through the degrees transition.....evidence that our system is plagued by politics, third party control, and a lack of correct coding for services being done in many clinics currently.

90-110 is definitely available.
100/hr has been seen as prn.
Cash based entrepreneurs make six figures.
HH pays 50-70 FTE.
New therapists should budget to 60k worst case...offers here are 70-80k many times....and students should not attend school if they cannot be competitive enough for a relatively affordable school. That is the current education system we live in. If insurance opens up and learns of the differential diagnosis course sequences and outcomes good therapy can provide, then they will reimburse it. If not, then the field will have to revert back towards a shorter time length and match contract companies in a specific setting with mentorship and supervision similar to apprenticeships in the old days.

I'm done for now. Hope this can get back on topic.

He stated 100 here, and 200 an hour in another thread. Please scroll up. It's like discussing with someone who is desperately clinging to fake/non figures.

As I have stated. everyone knows PRN positions *can* make a lot of money. Without benefits in nearly all cases. Also, it's PRN - it's not steady work always. If the median salary is 80k there is a reason for that. If the 75% percentile salary for PTs is under 100k, there is a reason for that. You're talking about the TOP 2% of PTs who make 100 or 200 an hour, it happens, but is it even worth seriously putting that out there as a reasonable expectation when so few earn that? Sure, there are outliers, and sure there are cash entrepreneurs - but the VAST majority of practitioners are clinicians working in practices.

No Virginia, you won't be making 100-200 bucks an hour as an PT. This is bordering on magical thinking.

He stated 200 an hour. Please scroll up. It's like discussing with someone who is desperately clinging to fake/non figures.
As I have stated. everyone knows PRN positions *can* make a lot of money. Without benefits in nearly all cases. Also, it's PRN - it's not steady work always. If the median salary is 80k there is a reason for that. If the 75% salary for PTs is under 100k, there is a reason for that. Sure, there are outliers, and sure there are cash entrepreneurs - but the VAST majority of practitioners are clinicians working in practices.

No Virginia, you won't be making 200 bucks an hour as an PT or OT.

Jaded isn't saying you'll make 200/hr so I don't see why that matters.

Jaded isn't saying you'll make 200/hr so I don't see why that matters.

The point: Median means median. Median salary is "off" he states due to new clinicians. Accepted. We all know that. At 100$ an hour we are talking about a 200k salary for a physical therapist. What percentile is that at if the median is 80k? The top 2%? 1%? I can safely guess it's somewhere in that range. Perspective is important. With reimbursement trends being what they are I wouldn't set my expectations massively far from a median salary range.

I'm addressing the gentleman who was here impugning my character, stating I am "trashing" PT and OT because I stated a clinician is not likely to see the crazy figures he was throwing around as a PT of hundreds of thousands of dollars.

To re-assert: I question the utility of the DPT, I think it is degree inflation, and I lament the move towards an OTD in my field. I agree that students bear the responsibility for the degree and debt load they incur. I would add that when you are talking about 6 figure debt, approaching med school debt in some cases wiser students might start to look towards a better debt to income ratio: like PA, or med school.

Moving on....

Last edited:
The point: Median means median. Median salary is "off" he states due to new clinicians. Accepted. We all know that. Go with the 75% percentile and its hovering near the 100k mark. I'm addressing the gentleman who was here impugning my character, stating I am "trashing" PT and OT because I stated a clinician is not likely to see the crazy figures he was throwing around as a PT. Perspective is important. 75% percentile is around 100k... so at 100 bucks an hour they're talking about salaries likely in the top 5%/4%/3%/2% of PTs? I wouldn't set my expectations too far from a median salary range.

To re-assert: I question the utility of the DPT, I think it is degree inflation, and I lament the move towards an OTD in my field. I agree that students bear the responsibility for the degree and debt load they incur. I would add that when you are talking about 6 figure debt, approaching med school debt in some cases wiser students might start to look towards a better debt to income ratio: like PA, or med school.

Moving on....

Fair and agreed. The transition is akin to psychology practicing conservative care to achieve the same outcomes that pharmaceuticals may provide.

The differential diagnosis, rehabilitation phases, current pass offs with otolaryngologists (for vestibular), ob/gyn(for women's health), neurology and neurosurg (neurology...enough said but with more diseases now becoming chronic rather than fatal, the therapist can promote quality of life and lifespan), cardiopulm in hospitals with good units (can get patients off of ventilators and prevent diaphragmatic wasting and excess healthcare waste), and independent practice for neuromusculoskeletal pathology in which the treatment actually gives the same outcomes as surgery if patients injuries are caught at points in which the therapy can rehab them back to health.....are the entire point of transition.

The science transitioned.

Hospital work in acute and subacute has remained largely the same, but interdisciplinary work and independent practice have changed. The problem is that coding has not changed so more intensive therapy either utilizing tech or being much more physically strenuous or progression like does not receive higher pay.

There was a reason for the change....well intended, however, if the market doesn't reimburse or open up then it will revert back out of financial necessity unless,students stop applying.

A masters for OT is currently perfect. It is linear and it is very well compensated. You work side by side in hospital or have the biggest focus on IADLs and upper extremity post op surgery if there needs to be defined lines for identity outside of the overlap between the fields. Pediatrics seems to be big there as well with sensory integration in development. Transition back to work and activity up to the very last pass off also are. A degree inflation would only benefit universities unless the curriculums became the same between the fields which would also require prerequisite changes....at which point you call it a physiotherapy degree and have one profession with subfields only. The issue would then still revolve around practice act and third party payment opening up.

As long as the government keeps guaranteeing the loans to uni administrators, I fear for the people behind us that they will have to go different routes and the transition will not be sustainable...leading to reversion out of necessity.

Fair and agreed. The transition is akin to psychology practicing conservative care to achieve the same outcomes that pharmaceuticals may provide.

The differential diagnosis, rehabilitation phases, current pass offs with otolaryngologists (for vestibular), ob/gyn(for women's health), neurology and neurosurg (neurology...enough said but with more diseases now becoming chronic rather than fatal, the therapist can promote quality of life and lifespan), cardiopulm in hospitals with good units (can get patients off of ventilators and prevent diaphragmatic wasting and excess healthcare waste), and independent practice for neuromusculoskeletal pathology in which the treatment actually gives the same outcomes as surgery if patients injuries are caught at points in which the therapy can rehab them back to health.....are the entire point of transition.

The science transitioned.

Hospital work in acute and subacute has remained largely the same, but interdisciplinary work and independent practice have changed. The problem is that coding has not changed so more intensive therapy either utilizing tech or being much more physically strenuous or progression like does not receive higher pay.

There was a reason for the change....well intended, however, if the market doesn't reimburse or open up then it will revert back out of financial necessity unless,students stop applying.

A masters for OT is currently perfect. It is linear and it is very well compensated. You work side by side in hospital or have the biggest focus on IADLs and upper extremity post op surgery if there needs to be defined lines for identity outside of the overlap between the fields. Pediatrics seems to be big there as well with sensory integration in development. Transition back to work and activity up to the very last pass off also are. A degree inflation would only benefit universities unless the curriculums became the same between the fields which would also require prerequisite changes....at which point you call it a physiotherapy degree and have one profession with subfields only. The issue would then still revolve around practice act and third party payment opening up.

As long as the government keeps guaranteeing the loans to uni administrators, I fear for the people behind us that they will have to go different routes and the transition will not be sustainable...leading to reversion out of necessity.

You make many prescient points. I concur with nearly everything you said about education, our fields, and I learned a thing or two about independent practice. Good on you sir. You are a gentleman and a scholar ;)

You are 110% spot on about the loan guarantees. I am outraged that some programs (I'll refrain from naming them) charge students 100k+ for an OT/OTD or a DPT. Students need to vote with their feet. It's hard to believe that students are willing to do anything to be a PT or OT. Why pay that much? Better recipe for success: Work harder and get into a excellent state school program. That's what I did.

Last edited:
I appreciate your comment, and I know cities are more diverse. There is a problem in our fields with a lack of diversity, and telling people to move to cities isn't the answer. There are minority applicants throughout our country, and when we have diversity rates massively under the averages (even for those non mega urban areas) we have a problem!

Our field should not be 90% white, 95% female.
Note: We need a focus on disadvantaged minorities. When you factor out Asians, we are bordering 90% white. Further, in OT we are at a 90%+ female stat at this point. PT is worse yet when it comes to the inclusion of African Americans and Latinos.

Another area of concern is the de facto segregation in our programs currently. My program was 100% white. I am currently accumulating stats for this, and trying to get a sponsor to do the research for it: my hypothesis is that the bulk of minority practitioners come from a FEW programs nationally. The rest of the programs are producing few minority practitioners. We need to take action, and that means on a policy level we need directives from AOTA to programs to look at diversity as an admissions factor (NOT quotas). Many programs do just stack applicants up by GPA and take the top scores; others yet do not even factor in diversity at all. They should.

Note: I am not pushing any "pc" agenda, or trying to shame anyone for being white (I am a white male). I want my field to be diverse and represent America because this is healthy for my field, and best for patients etc. Before dismissing me, think critically about your program, and other programs you have seen on an anecdotal level.

"My program was 100% white."

This is exactly why I chose to apply to some HBCU DPT programs. During my research I thoroughly examined school's websites and paid close attention to the photos that they posted. Out of all of the schools that I checked out, I didn't see a single photo that included more than 2 Blacks. This lead me to believe (and, perhaps falsely, I will admit) that these programs had a "cap." Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't have turned down a spot at a PWI for this reason alone(hell, my goal is to be a DPT!), but who wants to be THE ONLY ONE? Or 1 of 2? Moving to a new state where I know no one to pursue a rigorous professional degree is in itself a tough endeavor. I don't want to feel isolated on top of these huge life changes..

Fyi, I will be attending an HBCU DPT program in the Fall.

Ok, since the discussion of diversity is, as usual, very simplistic and slightly exaggerated, I'm going to drop this in here to chew on. No, it's not meant to be offensive, just thought-provoking.

First, physical therapists are 72% female and 81.4% white (not counting Asians), not 90% and 95% respectively. Yes, it's not as diverse as some of us would like, but let's not exaggerate. Also, new grads tend to be more diverse both in race and gender, meaning these numbers will continue to change as the older, less diverse work force retires and the newer, more diverse work force graduates. Moving on...

Before assuming a program has a "cap," I would 1) do the quick math to figure out what a suitably diverse class would look like, and B) try to research the % of applicants to that program that were black to begin with. The US population is 12% black, which means a DPT class of 30 people would ideally have 3.6 black people. However, we're forgetting one BIG thing there: the number of qualified applicants. All programs require a bachelor's degree, yes? Well, even though 12% of the general population is black, only 7.4% of the population eligible to apply for PT school (the college-degree holding population) are black, because only 20% of black adults over 25 hold a bachelors degree (as opposed to 32% of non-Hispanic whites). Assuming that degree-holding blacks are applying at the same rate as degree-holding non-Hispanic whites, and all are being accepted at the same rate, your diverse PT class suddenly looks different. To be exact, a class of 30 that matches the eligible population should have 2.2 black people. That may go up or down depending on where in the US you are. Areas with small black populations will have smaller black applicant pools (in most cases) and therefore fewer black students, while the reverse will be true in more diverse areas, but you get the idea. Also, cases like YoungMD above who look at PT and say with disgust, "That's a bunch of rich, suburban, white people. No way am I doing that!" don't help the matter. For one thing, it's stereotyping. For another thing, the profession will not diversify if minorities turn their noses up at it for not being diverse enough. That's a process that just goes around in circles.

There's also the aspect no one likes to talk about where we have to draw the line on how important "minority status" should be in admissions. Admitting a less qualified student because he/she is minority is no less despicable than 50-60 years ago when a less qualified student was admitted because he/she was white. Either way it's giving someone more qualified the shaft because of a biological factor they can't control, which is supposed to be completely inappropriate according to most moral belief systems. Also, I find it extremely patronizing to minorities. It's like saying, "Oh, we know you're not as capable as the other guys, so here, let's give you a leg up." Gag me. Anyway, where do you draw the line, or should we not be dabbling in that morally grey area at all? I should point out that it's a sincere question. I don't have an answer for it.

I guess the take-home is that if PT is going to match the degree-holding population (because the rest aren't qualified to be PTs at all), it should be approximately 7.4% black (and, incidentally, 73.8% non-Asian, non-Hispanic white). Right now it's sitting at 5%, so there's work to do. However, it's important to acknowledge the progress that's already been made, and acknowledge that the overall demographic will NOT budge significantly in any given year, but over time as the old retire and the new enter the work force. It's not like we can kick the white females out to make it more diverse. We can only try to make those going in more diverse, and then wait.

References:
https://www.census.gov/content/dam/Census/library/publications/2016/demo/p20-578.pdf
https://datausa.io/profile/soc/291123/#demographics
https://www.dol.gov/wb/stats/occ_gender_share_em_1020_txt.htm

First, physical therapists are 72% female and 81.4% white (not counting Asians), not 90% and 95% respectively. Yes, it's not as diverse as some of us would like.

How diverse would you like it to be? Why that number? Is it possible that minorities are not attracted to rehab science and attracted to other professions? 95% of orthopedic surgeons are male, is that a problem? I imagine most females don't like the idea of cutting up bodies. Maybe I'm wrong. As you write later in your response, we should predict that 7% of PT's should be black, but it's only 5%, so the gap isn't that great.

There's also the aspect no one likes to talk about where we have to draw the line on how important "minority status" should be in admissions. Admitting a less qualified student because he/she is minority is no less despicable than 50-60 years ago when a less qualified student was admitted because he/she was white. Either way it's giving someone more qualified the shaft because of a biological factor they can't control, which is supposed to be completely inappropriate according to most moral belief systems. Also, I find it extremely patronizing to minorities. It's like saying, "Oh, we know you're not as capable as the other guys, so here, let's give you a leg up." Gag me. Anyway, where do you draw the line, or should we not be dabbling in that morally grey area at all? I should point out that it's a sincere question. I don't have an answer for it.

Exactly. Well written. Reverse discrimination won't work and has not worked. Minorities are smart and competent enough to succeed without special privileges.

But who wants to be THE ONLY ONE? Or 1 of 2? Moving to a new state where I know no one to pursue a rigorous professional degree is in itself a tough endeavor. I don't want to feel isolated on top of these huge life changes.

Why does it matter? I belonged to two classes, and each one had only one black student. They both did very well. No one in PT school cares about your skin color and will treat you like anybody else. I wouldn't make diversity one of your primary criteria. If it is, apply to Howard or Hampton or any other TBU.

How diverse would you like it to be? Why that number? Is it possible that minorities are not attracted to rehab science and attracted to other professions? 95% of orthopedic surgeons are male, is that a problem? I imagine most females don't like the idea of cutting up bodies. Maybe I'm wrong. As you write later in your response, we should predict that 7% of PT's should be black, but it's only 5%, so the gap isn't that great.

Exactly. Well written. Reverse discrimination won't work and has not worked. Minorities are smart and competent enough to succeed without special privileges.

In all honesty, I don't have a diversity "target" when it comes to gender. Unlike race, gender comes with certain hormonal and brain development differences (PLEASE let's everyone be adults here. It's a scientific fact.) that will make some professions more likely to attract or not attract males/females, and that's fine. If a greater proportion of women are drawn to PT than men, you'll have more women. Nothing wrong with that. So long as everyone is being considered based on their merits and not their gender (or race), there's no problem here.

I know the difference between 7.4% and 5% doesn't seem that great, but let me put that another way. If a disease struck 7.4% of the population, and most of them (5%) survived, would that be a problem? YES!!! That's a 32.4% mortality rate! 32.4% of the black PTs we should have are missing, so then the question becomes why? Discrimination? Maybe. Lack of interest or knowledge of PT in the black community? Maybe. Lower tests scores and GPAs among black students applying? Maybe. Demographic being skewed because not enough of the old, less diverse population retired yet? Maybe. Mistaken perception in the black community that a black student could never afford PT school? Maybe. You'd be surprised how many black students, especially in poor communities, have it drilled into them that only rich white people go to college or graduate school because they're the only ones that can afford it. Many believe that and don't do the research to find out the majority of students actually aren't being paid for by Mommy and Daddy but instead by financial aid that anyone can get. Thankfully that perception is slowly going away, so that will hopefully help. In the end our lack of racial diversity is probably a combination of the above factors and more that we're not even thinking of.

However, as I said, it's also important to realize the progress that's already been made, and that our demographic won't budge significantly in a particular year, but it will over time. In the most recent year I could find data for (2012-2013, unfortunately), 8.5% of PTCAS accepted applicants identified as either black or multi-racial. Some of the multiracial will be Asian, Hispanic, or what-not, but even so, an educated guess would be that 6.5% of those new PT students were black or a black mix. Progress IS being made, and it's actually being made much faster than people realize.

Tbh in a thread that answers the question which is most asked, this current discussion needs to be moved to another thread. It's off topic.

Why does it matter? I belonged to two classes, and each one had only one black student. They both did very well. No one in PT school cares about your skin color and will treat you like anybody else. I wouldn't make diversity one of your primary criteria. If it is, apply to Howard or Hampton or any other TBU.

You totally missed the point of my argument. I don't doubt my abilities to do well in a predominantly white program, and I don't think that I would be treated any differently because of my skin color. The point that I was trying to make was that I have no interest in being either the only one, or one of two. Until you are in a situation where there is really no one else like you, I don't think you will truly ever understand this. Talk to some minorities, this isn't a novel issue for us.

It's HBCU, not TBU. Not sure what you were getting at with that one..

I also stated that I applied to HBCUs for this very reason.

I also stated that I would be attending an HBCU in the fall.

Which leads me back to my first sentence, you totally missed the point of my argument.