Starting night clinic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

therahome

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for some guidance or resources to help me start an evening clinic. I'm currently working for a family medicine office for someone for the last two years. Recently I discovered a great opportunity to open a night clinic staffed with a NP or ARNP about 45 minutes away. Will be cash only (credit card) and I do not plan on enrolling with any insurance carriers. Problem is venturing out to open a clinic seems daunting. The MD I currently work for has no interest in guiding me or providing any assistance and I really don't know where to begin. Any suggestions or places to start would be greatly appreciated?

Members don't see this ad.

I doubt you will be able to cover your overhead, let alone turn a profit. but good luck.

I doubt you will be able to cover your overhead, let alone turn a profit. but good luck.

I have a lot to figure out but I would be the only game in town. The two urgent care clinics in the area close at 5pm and the only other option people have is a drive/the high co-payment at the ER when it may not be necessary. It's a tourist heavy area and I'm hoping to appeal to the local residents as well when they need to see someone after hours. I'm looking at leasing a small office or a possible sublet situation with an office in the area b/c of my planned clinic hours (5-10pm during the week and I'm not sure about weekend hours just yet). Will probably try to operate hours on the weekend when the urgent care places are closed and local pharmacys are open. Will offer basic services (not even urgent care level) when the kiddos have a fever, ear ache, etc. and people need to see someone for a Rx if needed. No advice, just a wish of good luck?

Members don't see this ad :)

Forgot to mention that I also plan on using free EMR/Allscripts platforms, independent contractor NP and Square for all credit card transactions. Want to run as lean and mean as possible. Like I said, I've never done this before and I'm looking for some advice to avoid pitfalls. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

I have a lot to figure out but I would be the only game in town. The two urgent care clinics in the area close at 5pm and the only other option people have is a drive/the high co-payment at the ER when it may not be necessary. It's a tourist heavy area and I'm hoping to appeal to the local residents as well when they need to see someone after hours. I'm looking at leasing a small office or a possible sublet situation with an office in the area b/c of my planned clinic hours (5-10pm during the week and I'm not sure about weekend hours just yet). Will probably try to operate hours on the weekend when the urgent care places are closed and local pharmacys are open. Will offer basic services (not even urgent care level) when the kiddos have a fever, ear ache, etc. and people need to see someone for a Rx if needed. No advice, just a wish of good luck?

sounds great. but I can't imagine how you will make this work. develop a business model, and put in some realistic hypothetical numbers. then you'll see why you won't make any profit. but good luck.