Starting a Pharmacy as a doctor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

irish.medic237

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would purchasing a pharmacy be a solid business investment for a doctor down the line in their career?
Any significant pros and cons to doing so for the doctor? I understand that a doctor would need to hire a pharmacist to work and run the pharmacy!

Members don't see this ad.

Would purchasing a pharmacy be a solid business investment for a doctor down the line in their career?
Any significant pros and cons to doing so for the doctor? I understand that a doctor would need to hire a pharmacist to work and run the pharmacy!

For a practicing physician there are lots of Stark law and Anti-Kickback statutes that make this a nightmare.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For a practicing physician there are lots of Stark law and Anti-Kickback statutes that make this a nightmare.

Yes, hit the nail on the head. The other challenge is learning the pharmacy insurance business, which differs from medical insurance in major ways.

I think if its technically in your clinic you are ok. If not then its anti kickback, like you can own an MRI machine but it has to be in your building if you are sending people to it.