Start medical school in Cairo, Egypt with an American Bachelors Degree?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluekey

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I live in the US and I have an American citizenship, but my parents are Egyptian. I received my BS from an American university and I was wondering if it would be possible to start medical school in Egypt. I know that it would have to be one of the private ones (MUST or 6oct) since I don't have the egyptian citizenship, which would probably take a very very long time to complete.

So the details are that I have my degree in Human Biology, I completed my pre-med courses, took my mcats, etc. Will any of that count towards anything? Does that still mean that I would have to start medical school in Egypt from the beginning? I'm used to the idea in the US that it would be four years medical school, 3 years residency, etc. but in Egypt it is 6 years medical school right?
And does that mean I would have to do the 6 years egyptain medical school, and then still do the residency in the US if i return to there?

I know everyone will suggest that I just go to medical school in the US, but for some personal reasons I need to know what the process would be if I had to go to medical school in egypt.

I would really appreciate all your help! :)

Members don't see this ad.

hi

i am egyptian
here much private medical schools
but i wonder how to leave america & come to study here
i wanna study in america

I know there are private medical schools in Egypt (like 6 october and one more). I just needed to know what the process would be if I went to study there.

Does anyone have an answer for this?

Members don't see this ad :)
I know there are private medical schools in Egypt (like 6 october and one more). I just needed to know what the process would be if I went to study there.

Does anyone have an answer for this?

Do you hate yourself that much??!!! ..lol
You're better off studying medicine in the US cuz education in Egypt is down the drain, and you'll have a hard time finding a residency in the US if you want to work there.

Im so tired of ppl spreading false info :(
Anyways ofcourse its up to you whether you want to do your med studies in egypt or in the states, in fact i dont think its polite to comment in such thing since you said you had your personal reasons, so i wish you the best of luck :)
Im an intern, graduated from cairo uni
October uni is good, they actually take most of their rounds in my school,which is the best in egypt ;).. and they (and by they i mean october med school) just signed a contract with the Best hospital in egypt (its located in october city too) for their students to intern in..which is a great deal if you ask me
although i have to say its now official that gulf countries do not accept grads from october med school at all!
anyways about your question if you can skip the premed studies ( first three years in egyptian med schools ) Im sorry but thats not possible, b.c in egypt its like one package and theres no way around this trust me :)
and ofcourse you could apply for october med school with your degree.. and hey why dont you contact them in their website
http://www.o6u.edu.eg/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=17&Itemid=116
Please do let me know if i could be of any more help to you :)
stay positive :)

Do you hate yourself that much??!!! ..lol
You're better off studying medicine in the US cuz education in Egypt is down the drain, and you'll have a hard time finding a residency in the US if you want to work there.

Actually, medicine is an old proffession in Egypt. Taken very serious, Given they invented the use of proven medicine

Its the lack of resources that they lack, but the education is spot on.

BTW. It wouldn't be as dumb as u think if the OP graduated with an accredited U.S. degree costing less than 10K total. AT THE AGE OF 23

with nothing more than an american H.S. degree

Ask me how I know?lol

Yea you'd have to take all 6 years because US undergrads don't take med school courses.. If you did happen to take one of the first year courses(anatomy, physiology, biochemistry, histology) you could ask the Egyptian med school if they'll give you credit for it and you don't have to take it over again. All the public ones will never agree but MUST and 6th Oct U might.

After the 6 yrs, you have to do a 1 yr internship in Egypt to get your diploma. Then you could go back to the US for your residency but you'd have to take the USMLE and apply as a foreign medical graduate etc, long road. But you have a US citizenship :thumbup: and many others have done it before. US med school would still be better, faster, and easier to get a residency but good luck.

Hi everyone,
I live in the US and I have an American citizenship, but my parents are Egyptian. I received my BS from an American university and I was wondering if it would be possible to start medical school in Egypt. I know that it would have to be one of the private ones (MUST or 6oct) since I don't have the egyptian citizenship, which would probably take a very very long time to complete.

So the details are that I have my degree in Human Biology, I completed my pre-med courses, took my mcats, etc. Will any of that count towards anything? Does that still mean that I would have to start medical school in Egypt from the beginning? I'm used to the idea in the US that it would be four years medical school, 3 years residency, etc. but in Egypt it is 6 years medical school right?
And does that mean I would have to do the 6 years egyptain medical school, and then still do the residency in the US if i return to there?

I know everyone will suggest that I just go to medical school in the US, but for some personal reasons I need to know what the process would be if I had to go to medical school in egypt.

I would really appreciate all your help! :)

Hello. I realize this thread is old but I am sorta in the same situation now. I am an american citizen that also received a BS at an American university and have plans to complete medical school in Egypt and was wondering if @bluekey you ended up proceeding with going to medical school in Egypt and if you can provide me with any advice or thoughts. Anything helps! Thank you!

Hello. I realize this thread is old but I am sorta in the same situation now. I am an american citizen that also received a BS at an American university and have plans to complete medical school in Egypt and was wondering if @bluekey you ended up proceeding with going to medical school in Egypt and if you can provide me with any advice or thoughts. Anything helps! Thank you!
I am in the same position here. After 2 years what did you decide to do? Thank you for your help

Reactions: 1 user
I am in the same position here. After 2 years what did you decide to do? Thank you for your help
Hi! I know this post is veryyyy old at this point, but I am also now in the same boat. I was wondering if anyone here ended up deciding to go to study medicine in Egypt after finishing their bachelors in the US. If anyone has, please help me hahaha. The process has proven to be so complicated and confusing. What steps did y'all take to be admitted into an Egyptian medical school?

Hi! I know this post is veryyyy old at this point, but I am also now in the same boat. I was wondering if anyone here ended up deciding to go to study medicine in Egypt after finishing their bachelors in the US. If anyone has, please help me hahaha. The process has proven to be so complicated and confusing. What steps did y'all take to be admitted into an Egyptian medical school?
Welcome to the forums.

Bumping to see if there are any takers. I know a lot has happened over time where more spots are available in the US. Also if you intend to practice in the US, going outside to get a medical degree makes it much harder to do that, unless you go to some schools run by US medical schools (I'm thinking Cornell/Qatar). The rest of the world admits students to medical school after they graduate from high school.