Program-Specific Info / Q's St.Augustine (Austin Texas Campus) 2016-2017 cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OT/2016

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone else been invited for an interview at the Austin campus at St.Augustine? My interview is scheduled on January 27th and I was just notified today (January 9th). That seems like short notice? Has anyone been successful at requesting a later interview date?

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats! My application continues to be under review...did they email you or did you check the website??

Has anyone else been invited for an interview at the Austin campus at St.Augustine? My interview is scheduled on January 27th and I was just notified today (January 9th). That seems like short notice? Has anyone been successful at requesting a later interview date?

I interviewed for the summer term, and they had two interview dates. I was in the same predicament! Coming from out of state the plane tickets were outrageous with short notice. I spoke to Jimmy Campos about it, and he was very accommodating and offered for me to come to a second interview date. Hope this helps and you're able to do the same thing, good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats! My application continues to be under review...did they email you or did you check the website??
I was notified my Email. I applied for Summer I start date if that is any consultation.

I interviewed for the summer term, and they had two interview dates. I was in the same predicament! Coming from out of state the plane tickets were outrageous with short notice. I spoke to Jimmy Campos about it, and he was very accommodating and offered for me to come to a second interview date. Hope this helps and you're able to do the same thing, good luck!
Thank you that is great news! Any tips for the interview or questions you remember?

has anyone heard back from St. Augustine for the fall?

has anyone heard back from St. Augustine for the fall?
I have also applied for their fall program and I got an email two weeks back about needing to take another course for a prereq that I did not meet the requirement for. I signed up for an online 8 week class that was approved by them. However, I emailed them a couple of times after and have called and have not heard anything back from them yet. I am kind of nervous because their school is one of my top choices. I just hope taking this class so late won't hurt my application :\

I received an email January 13th inviting me to interview on January 27th! I applied for the Fall start date. Luckily I'm from Texas and have family in Austin so getting there and having a place to stay won't be bad for me. Has anyone heard anything about the group interview? Or the types of questions they ask?

I received an email January 13th inviting me to interview on January 27th! I applied for the Fall start date. Luckily I'm from Texas and have family in Austin so getting there and having a place to stay won't be bad for me. Has anyone heard anything about the group interview? Or the types of questions they ask?

Oh man looks like my chances of getting an interview are slim. My application is still under review :(

Oh man looks like my chances of getting an interview are slim. My application is still under review :(

Don't be discouraged! They could still invite you to interview. The start date is still so far away

If you guys dont mind me asking, what were you stats like?

I applied for Fall admission and received an interview invite on Jan. 9th! I have another interview on the 27th so I'm not able to attend. I talked to Mr. Campos about rescheduling and he put me on the alternate interview date. He was really helpful! My friend interviewed for the PT program at the Miami campus and she said the interview wasn't bad. They were in groups of 2 or 3. She said it was pretty easy. They asked basic questions like: Why do you want to be a PT? (in our case OT), What are your biggest strength and weaknesses?, What did you learn from your observing or volunteering in the field?, What would you do if you were admitted to another campus instead of this one?

That's all I can remember right now. Hope that helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if theyes are still inviting people for interviews?

Is anyone else doing the virtual interview day next week? For anyone already accepted to St. Augustine Austin, what stood out to you about the program and what made you choose St. Augustine? Does anyone know what a typical week schedule looks like for OT students? Seems like a great program I would love to hear the positives and negatives in your decision making!

Accepted and attending!! Pros: I LOVED their campus, I loved how close the students and professors were compared to other schools I interviewed at. They also have clinical opportunities on campus( one of their alumna opened a hybird clinic that students get to be a part of and she teaches a course) They also had a great almost studio apartments for learning to teach adls. They just seemed to have a lot of amenities and Austin is ranked as a top city to live in. Cons: the cost but for me location and I really like the school so I may be in debt but can pay it off with the job outlook.

Accepted and attending!! Pros: I LOVED their campus, I loved how close the students and professors were compared to other schools I interviewed at. They also have clinical opportunities on campus( one of their alumna opened a hybird clinic that students get to be a part of and she teaches a course) They also had a great almost studio apartments for learning to teach adls. They just seemed to have a lot of amenities and Austin is ranked as a top city to live in. Cons: the cost but for me location and I really like the school so I may be in debt but can pay it off with the job outlook.

Thanks so much for your input! I really appreciate it. That's so great to hear that students and professors seem to build a strong bond. Did they place much emphasis on the blended learning format they use? I would think this would cut down the amount of time that students spend in the classroom but not totally sure. Or any input on the new curriculum set up for 2017? Hopefully I'll learn more about it on interview day.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks so much for your input! I really appreciate it. That's so great to hear that students and professors seem to build a strong bond. Did they place much emphasis on the blended learning format they use? I would think this would cut down the amount of time that students spend in the classroom but not totally sure. Or any input on the new curriculum set up for 2017? Hopefully I'll learn more about it on interview day.

They did, I interviewed early November so a lot of the new curriculum was established but not in place yet. They mentioned that they were hoping the students would have one day/week where they can work from home and have their class materials online for that day. Regarding the curriculum, I was shadowing at an inpatient rehab hospital and they had a St. Augustine student doing her fieldwork II there and she was so in love with the the school and when we talked about their curriculum she said that they really cared about the student input and she was really glad that they re-organized it the way they did. I am sure you will learn a ton at interview day, you have plenty of time to ask questions and if you have any more for me, feel free to ask!

So I have not received an interview for st. Augustine and I was losing hope. But today Jimmy Campos contacted me asking for the syllabus for medical terminology. I probably shouldn't get my hopes up but maybe Maybe this is a good sign? I applied for the fall term.

So I have not received an interview for st. Augustine and I was losing hope. But today Jimmy Campos contacted me asking for the syllabus for medical terminology. I probably shouldn't get my hopes up but maybe Maybe this is a good sign? I applied for the fall term.
I was asked to send a class description for developmental psych and got an interview so that is a good sign that you probably will get an interview. I applied for summer but was wait listed.

I was asked to send a class description for developmental psych and got an interview so that is a good sign that you probably will get an interview. I applied for summer but was wait listed.

Ah this gives me tiny hope! And good luck to you waiting is the worst!

So I did receive an interview today but for this Friday!!! Ah I am so nervous and excited. I will be doing it virtually.

I have today and tomorrow to prepare for the virtual interview since I got an interview ter view invite today. Do any of you have any advice for the group interviews?

I have today and tomorrow to prepare for the virtual interview since I got an interview ter view invite today. Do any of you have any advice for the group interviews?

I didn't apply to St. Augustine-Austin, but they did actually come to my undergrad school last night to speak to us at our OT org's meeting. The professors said that when they interview people, they're looking for 2 big things: being able to talk about lots of settings you've done so that it shows you're well rounded and committed to OT, and that you have the overall qualities of being empathetic and kind. They stressed that you really have to like people in order to be a successful OT. And they also mentioned that at the end of interviews, when they say "Is there anything else you'd like us to know?" it is definitely your time to shine and brag about yourself (in a humble way of course). I know it's not much but I hope it helps! :) Good luck!

I didn't apply to St. Augustine-Austin, but they did actually come to my undergrad school last night to speak to us at our OT org's meeting. The professors said that when they interview people, they're looking for 2 big things: being able to talk about lots of settings you've done so that it shows you're well rounded and committed to OT, and that you have the overall qualities of being empathetic and kind. They stressed that you really have to like people in order to be a successful OT. And they also mentioned that at the end of interviews, when they say "Is there anything else you'd like us to know?" it is definitely your time to shine and brag about yourself (in a humble way of course). I know it's not much but I hope it helps! :) Good luck!

No this is amazing thank you! And yes ah I'm nervous !

Has anyone from the 3/10 interview heard anything!? Just got my acceptance email 10 minutes ago!!!

Reactions: 1 users
Yes I got my acceptance today!!!

Reactions: 2 users

Hey did you hear back from them??

Congratulations! Are you withdrawing your wait list status for st.scholastica or still considering going there?

No I'll be withdrawing my waitlist as soon as I make my payment for my spot for St. Augustine!

No I'll be withdrawing my waitlist as soon as I make my payment for my spot for St. Augustine!
I got wait listed for the summer term at the Austin campus. I have 3.1 gpa as well and still wait listed at st.scholastica also! I'm glad you get to stay in Texas that's always a deal breaker.

I got wait listed for the summer term at the Austin campus. I have 3.1 gpa as well and still wait listed at st.scholastica also! I'm glad you get to stay in Texas that's always a deal breaker.

Hopefully a spot will open up in Austin!!! Yeah I wasn't looking forward to the cold winters but I would have done it. I think my saving grace is all my experience.

Hopefully a spot will open up in Austin!!! Yeah I wasn't looking forward to the cold winters but I would have done it. I think my saving grace is all my experience.
I have 1 and a half years as an ot tech at a hand therapy clinic as well as several hours from 4 other settings! Im hoping this will make up for my lower gpa.

To the people who got accepted, when did you receive enrollment information???

Finally heard back for Fall 2017! Does anyone know if there's a Facebook group for MOT Fall 2017?

Hey, I'm currently a student (procrastinating on studying for my Neuro final in the morning) and I'm just finishing up my 3rd trimester (but technically my "2nd" since I retook anatomy. long story.) I've made friends with a few people in the Red class (the current 1st tris) and they've been pretty good at keeping in touch with Dr. Estes as far as the blended learning goes, telling her what's working and what needs improvement. Their schedule this trimester was class 3 days/week and is "flipped classroom" - the professors expect you to prepare for the class ahead of time so the lecture is moreso answering questions & clarifying stuff. I'm not as proactive as I wish I was, so this would be tough for me; however, it does allow for a lot of free time to go over the material by the pool you'll probably have at whatever apartment you go to :) The professors absolutely want your feedback from trimester reviews - some more than others - but I have yet to hear of a complaint that was not improved, if not resolved, the following trimester.
If there's anything else you guys can think of as far as questions go, places to live, etc. feel free to shoot me a message!

Hey, I'm currently a student (procrastinating on studying for my Neuro final in the morning) and I'm just finishing up my 3rd trimester (but technically my "2nd" since I retook anatomy. long story.) I've made friends with a few people in the Red class (the current 1st tris) and they've been pretty good at keeping in touch with Dr. Estes as far as the blended learning goes, telling her what's working and what needs improvement. Their schedule this trimester was class 3 days/week and is "flipped classroom" - the professors expect you to prepare for the class ahead of time so the lecture is moreso answering questions & clarifying stuff. I'm not as proactive as I wish I was, so this would be tough for me; however, it does allow for a lot of free time to go over the material by the pool you'll probably have at whatever apartment you go to :) The professors absolutely want your feedback from trimester reviews - some more than others - but I have yet to hear of a complaint that was not improved, if not resolved, the following trimester.
If there's anything else you guys can think of as far as questions go, places to live, etc. feel free to shoot me a message!
Thanks so much for taking the time to fill us in! So as a student who started with the older curriculum your class will finish out the older model, and not switch to the new curriculum for your remaining trimesters? Is there any advice you would give to MOT students entering their first term? Or any information you wish you had known prior to starting? Thanks again!

I received an email from Jimmy Campos this morning about the Fall 2017 Austin, Texas class being full, and asking if I wanted to be considered for the summer program. I told them yeah, because I mean what do I have to lose? And Yvette got back to me within 20 minutes telling me she would let them know and that hopefully I would hear back from them by the end of the day or tomorrow. I'm trying not to get my hopes up but also if I wasn't considerable for admissions why would they email me suggesting to apply for summer? I don't know, man. I'm freaking out a little. Also because I live in Arizona and it's two weeks away.

I received an email from Jimmy Campos this morning about the Fall 2017 Austin, Texas class being full, and asking if I wanted to be considered for the summer program. I told them yeah, because I mean what do I have to lose? And Yvette got back to me within 20 minutes telling me she would let them know and that hopefully I would hear back from them by the end of the day or tomorrow. I'm trying not to get my hopes up but also if I wasn't considerable for admissions why would they email me suggesting to apply for summer? I don't know, man. I'm freaking out a little. Also because I live in Arizona and it's two weeks away.
Oh man! That is really short notice. Did they get back you about the Summer start? Best of luck!!

Thanks so much for taking the time to fill us in! So as a student who started with the older curriculum your class will finish out the older model, and not switch to the new curriculum for your remaining trimesters? Is there any advice you would give to MOT students entering their first term? Or any information you wish you had known prior to starting? Thanks again!

Yes, my class sticks to the previous curriculum. I don't know too much about the new curriculum per say, but I will suggest getting a strong background for Anatomy to start off the program on the right foot - I got myself a sketchbook and colored pencils & fine tip markers so I drew a lot of pictures (you can trace your computer screen ;) ). You'll continue to build on it throughout your classes. From what I know, a lot of your classes will have more online components so it'll be helpful to make a schedule for yourself of when you'll work on certain classes - I, personally, am awful with doing that, and always end up 20 min later back on Facebook - but it's helpful to figure out your groove early on. When you get assigned your buddy (who will most likely be in the new curriculum) you can ask him/her which textbooks are worth buying vs renting to save some money. You might also want to order a black polo through the school website asap since you'll need them for fieldwork and the school tends to be out of stock whenever you need to get one.

Speaking of money, Austin is an expensive city with lots of fun stuff to do - you will probably end up spending more money than you thought on just going out with your classmates and getting dinner and going on the lake. I would not suggest getting a job your first tri, but remember that you're able to get a campus job ($10/hr for a few hrs each week) starting your 2nd tri to help with your Fun Funds. It would be wise to start school with a cushion because it will take a week or 2 for your loans to be dispersed for the trimester, and usually, your rent will be due before the disbursement.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes, my class sticks to the previous curriculum. I don't know too much about the new curriculum per say, but I will suggest getting a strong background for Anatomy to start off the program on the right foot - I got myself a sketchbook and colored pencils & fine tip markers so I drew a lot of pictures (you can trace your computer screen ;) ). You'll continue to build on it throughout your classes. From what I know, a lot of your classes will have more online components so it'll be helpful to make a schedule for yourself of when you'll work on certain classes - I, personally, am awful with doing that, and always end up 20 min later back on Facebook - but it's helpful to figure out your groove early on. When you get assigned your buddy (who will most likely be in the new curriculum) you can ask him/her which textbooks are worth buying vs renting to save some money. You might also want to order a black polo through the school website asap since you'll need them for fieldwork and the school tends to be out of stock whenever you need to get one.

Speaking of money, Austin is an expensive city with lots of fun stuff to do - you will probably end up spending more money than you thought on just going out with your classmates and getting dinner and going on the lake. I would not suggest getting a job your first tri, but remember that you're able to get a campus job ($10/hr for a few hrs each week) starting your 2nd tri to help with your Fun Funds. It would be wise to start school with a cushion because it will take a week or 2 for your loans to be dispersed for the trimester, and usually, your rent will be due before the disbursement.
Thanks so much for your feedback! I for sure plan on brushing up on anatomy this summer to give myself a refresher and I am a visual learner so ill def use that tracing trick. I remember them telling us about on campus jobs at the interview that seems like a good deal!

Well, update. I received an email today offering an interview for June 9th. I'm so nervous! I honestly was not expecting this at all. Any tips from people who have interviewed?

Well, update. I received an email today offering an interview for June 9th. I'm so nervous! I honestly was not expecting this at all. Any tips from people who have interviewed?

Smile, sit with good posture, tell them something about yourself that your application didn't, and be prepared to talk about a time that you resolved a conflict between you & coworkers (everyone I know had that kind of question). Talk about your favorite and least favorite parts about your OT observations and what you're looking forward to experiencing. Good luck! If you get a tour guide named Sydney, say hi :)

Does anyone know if Univ. of St. Augustine denies applicants without interviewing? Or are they highly likely to interview a lot of people?

Does anyone know if Univ. of St. Augustine denies applicants without interviewing? Or are they highly likely to interview a lot of people?
They don't interview everyone who applies, and it's not a "shoo-in" school if that's what you're trying to figure out. The Austin campus has been increasingly competitive since they officially became accredited for MOT in December 2015 and they take applications through OTCAS now (wasn't the case when I applied over a year ago) so it's easier to apply, but it's not the most well-known school nor is it a public school, so in that sense, people could have a better chance of getting in. To answer your question, I know that people have been denied applications without interviewing.

They don't interview everyone who applies, and it's not a "shoo-in" school if that's what you're trying to figure out. The Austin campus has been increasingly competitive since they officially became accredited for MOT in December 2015 and they take applications through OTCAS now (wasn't the case when I applied over a year ago) so it's easier to apply, but it's not the most well-known school nor is it a public school, so in that sense, people could have a better chance of getting in. To answer your question, I know that people have been denied applications without interviewing.
Okay thanks! Yeah I was trying to see if they interview "everyone" who applied. Just trying to see what my chances were like. I'm assuming they look at applications holistically as well.